Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

So I bit the bullet and picked this bad boy today up at comp usa for around $350. I couldnt be happier right now. It blows my old 19 inch CRT out of the water. Cant really comment on the blacklight bleed until after dark but so far so good. Thanks to all in the forum for this info. :D

DeathCloud said:
So I bit the bullet and picked this bad boy today up at comp usa for around $350. I couldnt be happier right now. It blows my old 19 inch CRT out of the water. Cant really comment on the blacklight bleed until after dark but so far so good. Thanks to all in the forum for this info. :D

I've got one too, and it's pretty good, especially for the price point. I was really pleased with it.

Originally I just bought it because it was on sale and I needed something to tide me over until my Dell 3007 arrived. I was VERY surprised by it. Especially since I didn't think it would be able to match my old Viewsonic VP201s. Color reproduction wise, it didn't, but in all the other categories it did.

It's true what they say about widescreen as well. Once you go widescreen you never go back.

12 days ago i purchased this monitor . last evening ,it acted up . it fell asleep ,and hasent woke up since . after reading this thread , it seems im not alone here . the dvi thing is a pain in the butt , for sure . i did call viewsonic for some support , the lady on the other end told me that i really should be useing a screensaver for that lcd monitor .
like a gentleman , i told her thanks for her time ,laughed to myself , and hung up the phone .
with any luck , the computer shop that i got this monitor from , will at least , give me a credit check for it . i paid $482.00 for a few hours of amazement .
in my opinion , its a great monitor , for some . but not so great , for others .
GOOD LUCK , to the people who buys this monitor .
dont forget to load a SCREENSAVER on it . it might make some kind of difference that no one may be aware of yet .
ive read the manuel , such as it was ,
no mention of a screensaver there .
nor no mention of dvi problems either .
god help me i hope , because im quite sure now , VIEWSONIC WONT .
thanks for reading my 2 cents worth on the viewsonic vx2025wm ..
cheers .
a very dissappointed viewsonic owner .

Screensaver..thats pretty good. Well I have a screensaver so fingers crossed I wont have any problems. :cool:

littlejohn1959 said:
12 days ago i purchased this monitor . last evening ,it acted up . it fell asleep ,and hasent woke up since . after reading this thread , it seems im not alone here . the dvi thing is a pain in the butt , for sure . i did call viewsonic for some support , the lady on the other end told me that i really should be useing a screensaver for that lcd monitor .
like a gentleman , i told her thanks for her time ,laughed to myself , and hung up the phone .
with any luck , the computer shop that i got this monitor from , will at least , give me a credit check for it . i paid $482.00 for a few hours of amazement .
in my opinion , its a great monitor , for some . but not so great , for others .
GOOD LUCK , to the people who buys this monitor .
dont forget to load a SCREENSAVER on it . it might make some kind of difference that no one may be aware of yet .
ive read the manuel , such as it was ,
no mention of a screensaver there .
nor no mention of dvi problems either .
god help me i hope , because im quite sure now , VIEWSONIC WONT .
thanks for reading my 2 cents worth on the viewsonic vx2025wm ..
cheers .
a very dissappointed viewsonic owner .
You got RIPPED off if you're in the States

i wouldnt wish the way im feeling about viewsonic , on my worst enemy ..
ive been dissapointed a few times in this lifetime . but this one is well up, in the top 10 .
it took me the best part of this summer , to save enough for this upgrade . its a downgrade to me now .
SCREENSAVER ,, my foot .
i wonder does any member of the viewsonic team , read these forums .. it would be so good to hear a positive awnser from someone at the top .
good luck .
cheers .

littlejohn1959 said:
cheers mate . im from canada . maybe its to cold here for that monitor to work .. ha ha .
good luck .

you still paid a lot. I bought this today for $400 from Canada Computers. just waiting for it to get here now :D

I got mine at PCCanada ;) for $390 + tax. I knew Canada Computers and Infonec were selling for around $360 at the time, but I like the staff at PCCanada: they always give me excellent support and their knowledge is above average. Oh right, and you can collect points to use against a larger purchase later.

i hope you have better luck than i did . there is a dvi tool that i can try , but im not going to try it . ill suggest it to the computer guy that i got the monitor from . if he wants to try the dvi tool , thats the best kind by me .
when it was working , it was a great monitor .
im disappointed in the support from viewsonic . service is important too , when you make a purchase . anyways , i will be returning my monitor on wensday . ill see what happens then .
the very best of luck , with your monitors there .
cheers .

I have had this monitor for a few months now. It had no bad pixels and it's very bright however the corner bleeding is annoying. I called Viewsonic tech support and they are willing to do an RMA but I'm hesitant to do so since I have no idea what the probability is that a replacement will be better. I took some photos of the monitor and am hoping you guys that own one can comment on if the light bleed on mine is worse than average. I took these photos with the room dark, the only light source is the monitor.

Anyone know if Viewsonic covers shipping both ways on RMAs? I forgot to ask.

Photos are here: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2100327057

(I couldn't figure out how to attach them)

yeah that is in every vx2025, but you can greatly reduce it with the nvidia control pannel (even eliminate it, but it makes other colors look worse)

damn all of this light bleeding on the budget monitors. these screens should be cheaper because of the lower contrast ratios, brightness and resolutions- not because of manufacturing/engineering flaws.

My VX2025wm is no where near as bad as that one. Mine is only about 4 or 5 weeks old though.

I'm running it through the DVI port so most of the on-monitor settings have been disabled. I do have an nVidia card... what changes to the settings would your recommend A13X? When I played with the settings I wasn't satisfied with what I did to the picture so I re-adjusted it using a color/monitor calibration utility (I forget which one, but it was a free piece of software I downloaded somewhere).

Dan_D: Are you running it through the VGA or DVI port? What is your brightness setting if you don't mind. The bleeding hasn't gotten any worse/better over time as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the feedback guys, looks liike it's about 50/50 so far. Hopefully some more people will chime in.

-Wayno

I've had my 2025 for a few weeks now and i love it, but it hasn't been all paradise. I had a issue a while back were the screen would come on for a second or two then go to standby mode. The speakers would "pop" when the screen turned off. I thought at first the screen had just over heated so i left it for a while. after a few hours i turned the screen back on only to find it did the same thing right from the begining of the boot up of my computer. Now i was worried. I tried unpluging it, trying the analog mode, yelling at it, nothing worked. I started to look for a way to reset the monitor by holding down keys for the trademark 5 seconds. and presto! the screen shut down then came back and stayed on.
Other then that episode the screen has been wonderful and is fantastic as far as i'm concerned.

Wayno-san said:
I'm running it through the DVI port so most of the on-monitor settings have been disabled. I do have an nVidia card... what changes to the settings would your recommend A13X? When I played with the settings I wasn't satisfied with what I did to the picture so I re-adjusted it using a color/monitor calibration utility (I forget which one, but it was a free piece of software I downloaded somewhere).

Dan_D: Are you running it through the VGA or DVI port? What is your brightness setting if you don't mind. The bleeding hasn't gotten any worse/better over time as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the feedback guys, looks liike it's about 50/50 so far. Hopefully some more people will chime in.

-Wayno

Currently I am not running it at all. I ran it for about three or four weeks while I waited for my Dell 3007WFP to be ordered, then arrive.

I ran it through DVI only. I won't have an LCD that's analog and I damn sure won't run analog if DVI is an option. In fact, that's why I ended up with the VX2025wm. My VP201s wouldn't work in DVI mode on my X1950XTX's, and but it would on any other video card or computer. I refused to run my VP201s as an analog LCD for any length of time. It just looks aweful.

So I grabbed a VX2025wm, and then I decided that while I really, really liked the widescreen, the monitor wasn't big enough. So I grabbed the Dell 3007WFP.

I purchased 3 of these monitors about 3 weeks ago. 2 out of 3 worked perfectly. The third, instead of a solid black background (like when you first turn your computer on), it was maroon. No color adjustments or resets would fix it. It worked on my desktop for about 5 minutes and lost its signal. I tried swapping DVI and even ports on my graphics card but the same issue. it was dead.

I setup an RMA to Newegg, Newegg even refunded my shipping to them and now I have a new, 3rd monitor and it looks beautiful like the others. (all running on DVI, btw)

So far I'm loving these babies and I only paid about $329 for them from Newegg :D

I just bought an open box model from CompUSA the other day for around $320 out the door. It's a pretty nice panel, but I'm probably going to return it.
  • Won't go past 1280x1024 when connected to my GeForce FX 5200 via DVI but works fine on an old Radeon 9500 Pro (despite having the monitor driver installed)
  • Creates a white "shadow" the pixel before and/or after a black pixel. This is really annoying when viewing unantialiased black text on a white background. Most prominent when connected to my Sony TR. Not so much of a problem (but still noticeable) with the NVIDIA/ATI cards. My experience is that Samsung has better controls for dealing with this.
I think I'll try a Dell 2007WFP or a Samsung 215TW next.

Ordered myself one of these beauties, came today - VERY PLEASED.

HL2 never looked so good, everything seemed so much more immersive with the extra width.

However, there is one main drawback, its a B'day present which means it has to go back in its box until next friday :eek: :( :mad: I was only allowed to give it a quick test...My birthdays a whole week away! :eek:

Its going to be a long week, I just know it....

Seriously though, awesome monitor

Dave_06 said:
Ordered myself one of these beauties, came today - VERY PLEASED.

HL2 never looked so good, everything seemed so much more immersive with the extra width.

However, there is one main drawback, its a B'day present which means it has to go back in its box until next friday :eek: :( :mad: I was only allowed to give it a quick test...My birthdays a whole week away! :eek:

Its going to be a long week, I just know it....

Seriously though, awesome monitor

that really sux!! I love mine though, have had it about 4 months or so and cant complain about it all.

Has anyone discovered the solution for fixed aspect ratio scaling for this monitor yet? particularly with nvidia 7900 series video cards.

d][g][tal said:
Has anyone discovered the solution for fixed aspect ratio scaling for this monitor yet? particularly with nvidia 7900 series video cards.

Good Night,

I currently own a Viewsonic VP171b which I found really good and I am considering on buying this Viewsonic VX2025 which as I have read the reviews is a very good one. My only problem is the same of yours and the same of lot of users...I will use the LCD mainly for playing. I own a 7900GTX card and (only a matter of taste) I always play in 1024x760...And this is the main reason I havent bought the LCD yet (and my dealer have one reserved for me) becuase of the scaling problems.

So I have two questions,

1.- Have anyone tested this problem with the new Forceware recently launched?

2.- I have read the following post:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6586&highlight=viewsonic+scaling

Can anyone confirm this?

As a matter of fact my dealer has exactly the same model (I have just checked it) and the manufacture Date is August 2006... Again, can anyone confirm differences between models of this LCD?

Thanks...

paraiso36 said:
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6586&highlight=viewsonic+scaling

Can anyone confirm this?

As a matter of fact my dealer has exactly the same model (I have just checked it) and the manufacture Date is August 2006... Again, can anyone confirm differences between models of this LCD?

Thanks...

They may have a new firmware that's being loaded into these monitors to resolve this issue with new units, but the VS10859 model number is the same as all VX2025WMs. That hasn't changed since the monitor debuted.

Here's hoping that if this is the case, the firmware can be released and loaded onto the older units.

paraiso36 said:
Good Night,

I currently own a Viewsonic VP171b which I found really good and I am considering on buying this Viewsonic VX2025 which as I have read the reviews is a very good one. My only problem is the same of yours and the same of lot of users...I will use the LCD mainly for playing. I own a 7900GTX card and (only a matter of taste) I always play in 1024x760...And this is the main reason I havent bought the LCD yet (and my dealer have one reserved for me) becuase of the scaling problems.

So I have two questions,

1.- Have anyone tested this problem with the new Forceware recently launched?

2.- I have read the following post:

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks...

Good lord man. You have a 7900GTX and only play at 1024x768? That card is capable of so much more.

Dan_D said:
Good lord man. You have a 7900GTX and only play at 1024x768? That card is capable of so much more.

LOTS of games don't play well with widescreen aspect ratios......

Dan_D said:

LOL....well yes..you are right..it is a bad habit....Well, I think I will give it a try and tomorrow I will buy this monitor...Then I will post the results...

Today i was able to play farcry with image scaling.. i don´t know how i did it but i can´t do it again :(

Any tips?

9800Pro here.

Good Day,

Well I have just installed the LCD on my PC... I had a VP171b and I must say that the quality of the image is almost the same than that. But I must state first of all the following points and I think I have to mention it because this isnt a review and I am a practical person,

1.- I have a genetic problem, so I cannot see colors very well. In that case I must say that this new LCD looks extacly like my old one so I am happy with that.

2.- I didnt see any dead pixels but this is a visual inspection...I doubt I will ado ny technical test looking for them. The "psichological illness" of KNOWING there is a DEAD pixel is stronger that the fact that it really exists. I mean, with my old LCD had one dead pixel...Since I found it my sight involuntary looked at it even if I wasnt seeing it.

3.- I read a review that mentioned that since this LCD is Widescreen, it doesnt look so "big" compared with a 17". Well, compared with my VS VP it CERTAINLY looks big and the aesthetic are very good.

4.- The scalation problem was my really concern. Well using 75 mhz and res of 1024x760, I tried all options in Nvidia FOrceware LCD Panel Configuration, and NO ONE gave me an error. I must remember you I have a Gigabyte 7900GTX video Card and I am using not the last Forceware (the one that was launched a few days ago) but the one before that.

The following images were taken with my BenQ Digital Cam and I must warn you that the excesive bright spots is due ti I havent taken the protective film from the LCD. The Game is TopSPin,

1024x760 Using NVIDIA SCALING WITH FIXED ASPECT RATIO

pict0033vk4.jpg

1024x760 Using NVIDIA SCALING (Sorry I am an awful phographer)

pict0034fq9.jpg

1024x760 Using My Display Built In Scale

pict0035mt4.jpg

1024x760 Using DO NOT SCALE

pict0037qr0.jpg

Well no errors like "OUT OF..." were displayed and looking at a game like TopSpin only using 1024x760 look very good. I must admit that it is a little "fat" in comparison to 4:3 LCD but I was very satisfied with this game and also considering that it is an old one with no excellent graphics.

As I mentioned before I only need to be able to play about 2 hours with games after spending all the day in my office..so problems with the corners, color banding, etc...really doesnt matter TO ME if they arent extremely noticeable.

Finally, having a SB X-Fi Elite Pro, Logitech 5400 Wireless 5.1 speakers and Sennheiser HD 25 SP I am certainly sure I will never use the LCD speakers so I will no test them.

Please fell free to ask any questions..I am just beginning to check my LCD...

paraiso36 said:
4.- The scalation problem was my really concern. Well using 75 mhz and res of 1024x760, I tried all options in Nvidia FOrceware LCD Panel Configuration, and NO ONE gave me an error. I must remember you I have a Gigabyte 7900GTX video Card and I am using not the last Forceware (the one that was launched a few days ago) but the one before that.

The following images were taken with my BenQ Digital Cam and I must warn you that the excesive bright spots is due ti I havent taken the protective film from the LCD. The Game is TopSPin,

1024x760 Using NVIDIA SCALING WITH FIXED ASPECT RATIO

pict0033vk4.jpg

1024x760 Using NVIDIA SCALING (Sorry I am an awful phographer)

pict0034fq9.jpg

1024x760 Using My Display Built In Scale

pict0035mt4.jpg

1024x760 Using DO NOT SCALE

pict0037qr0.jpg

Well no errors like "OUT OF..." were displayed and looking at a game like TopSpin only using 1024x760 look very good. I must admit that it is a little "fat" in comparison to 4:3 LCD but I was very satisfied with this game and also considering that it is an old one with no excellent graphics.

As I mentioned before I only need to be able to play about 2 hours with games after spending all the day in my office..so problems with the corners, color banding, etc...really doesnt matter TO ME if they arent extremely noticeable.

Finally, having a SB X-Fi Elite Pro, Logitech 5400 Wireless 5.1 speakers and Sennheiser HD 25 SP I am certainly sure I will never use the LCD speakers so I will no test them.

Please fell free to ask any questions..I am just beginning to check my LCD...

Wooow. :eek: Can anyone else confirm that this is working with other GeForce 79xx cards aswell?

I have a new conroe C2D system with a XFX 7950GT Extreme card incoming and I'm pretty close on gettin me one of these VX2025WM panels for that system. But the aspect ratio issue with 7900 cards made me wait for a solution.

I'm really happy that it worked out for ya Paraiso36:D
Would be sooo great if it worked for others aswell.

BTW! BIIIG thanks to Coldtronius and all the other guys for starting and making this a GREAT thread. /salute :D

I just got this display and been struggling with the scaling on my ati card for days. I was really happy when I read that you got the scaling to work with the newer monitor.
I just hope it works with ATI cards as well.
I think I'll call viewsonic and ask them to do a firmware upgrade om my monitor (if one is available).

Edit: On the backside of the screen there's a sticker containing some information.
Here's what it says:
TJS1 REV:3A L9V
EBL9V003011

What rev do you have, or what does your sticker say?

I have a ATI card and i make it work.. only once..

it was on fear, i set 1280x720 hoping to have a scaling picture, but for some reason the picture was on 1:1 1280x720

Why? i´m not sure yet.. i tried again... and it didn´t work.

Alucard IX said:
I just got this display and been struggling with the scaling on my ati card for days. I was really happy when I read that you got the scaling to work with the newer monitor.
I just hope it works with ATI cards as well.
I think I'll call viewsonic and ask them to do a firmware upgrade om my monitor (if one is available).

Edit: On the backside of the screen there's a sticker containing some information.
Here's what it says:
TJS1 REV:3A L9V
EBL9V003011

What rev do you have, or what does your sticker say?

Good Night,

Well I have checked the LCD and working with games in 1024x760 and trying different options of Scaling in the Foreceware Driver, there is no ERROR Message at all.

The only one I have had is one related with the configuration of the LCD..I mean every time I adjust the settings, when I play a movie, the colors and settings are all right. Then, I quit the Forceware Panel and all colors and contrast return to an "original" version which look too dark and reddish. I read all posts in this thread and I remember a problem like that, but now I couldnt find it. Anyway, I solved it returning to the classic view of Nvidia Forceware Panel and there setting the LCD. I dont know why but that worked.

Overall I use mainly this LCD for playing (99%) after spending all day in my Office and even though it is a little strange to get customed with a Widescreen view, I am really happy with it.

By the way the info you asked,

1.- Model Number: VS10859
2.- S/N: Q6Y063221439
3.- Manufacturing Date: August 2006

For the record I am using a BFG 6600 GT OC card and all the NVIDIA scaling options work flawlessly. It seems like the 7900 series in general has caused the majority of scaling problems. I'd put off buying anything in the 7900 series for now and wait until the new generation of NVIDIA cards come out next week.

If the colours change when you quit the panel try changing them under colour correction (right click your tray icon).

Leave the sliders at 100%...I corrected the brightness (50) and contrast (67) on the monitor itself because it uses smaller increments. Gamma (0.86) and Digital Vibrance (7%) are good settings...for me ;)

People who don't have problems scaling should post their firmware info listed in the service menu on the monitor.

Get to the service menu by holding down the "2" button while powering the monitor on (power light will remain amber). Then going to the "F" item in the menu.

Interesting, mine says:

W0VX-A 1.02 AUO NVT

Manufactured: May 2006

Does "use centered timings" work for you Blue Falcon? I saw you had an ATI card.
Cause it doesn't work for me in any other resolutions than 1360x"something". I have a X1900XT 256MB.

Alucard IX said:
Does "use centered timings" work for you Blue Falcon? I saw you had an ATI card.
Cause it doesn't work for me in any other resolutions than 1360x"something". I have a X1900XT 256MB.

Nope, it doesn't work for me except for one or two really odd resolutions. All the others just stretch reguardless of the "use centered timings" setting. :(

Hmm. Ordered my XFX 7950 before I found out about this problem. :(
Either I go for the NEC or I live with this problem until the release of the dx10 series and get me one of those.

Back