Viewsonic VX2025wm arrived! First impressions and pics

Please could anyone post two ingame screenshots of the same game,one with 1024x768 stretched (no black bars) and the other one just with native 1680x1050 widescreen?

Scaling quality is one of the points that is preventing me to buy this monitor.I have 7800GT and i can't run many recent games at native resolution with an acceptable minimun of 2x aa and 8x af so I'll have to run some games at 1024 or 1280 so this is why I'm concerned about stretching quality.

Thanks.

Jarrett said:
Would any of the owners like to post their settings? Just curious :eek:

Monitor:
Brightness 50, Contrast 67

NVIDIA Color Correction:
I kept brightness and contrast at 100% like default and tweaked it on my monitor instead. One step in brightness or contrast feels like 3-4 on the monitor OSD control.

Digital Vibrance 7%, Gamma 0.86

I could only find a handful of people's settings...that Gateway review/comparison thread really helped me realize how low the gamma was to begin.

Yeap this is a good idea...
right now i´m on 50 brightness and 65 contrat.. i think we are not that off since i saw 2 guys already with a settings very close to this.

MrZodiac said:
Please could anyone post two ingame screenshots of the same game,one with 1024x768 stretched (no black bars) and the other one just with native 1680x1050 widescreen?

Scaling quality is one of the points that is preventing me to buy this monitor.I have 7800GT and i can't run many recent games at native resolution with an acceptable minimun of 2x aa and 8x af so I'll have to run some games at 1024 or 1280 so this is why I'm concerned about stretching quality.

Thanks.

Good Night,

Wel here I will post images of Company Of Heroes. To be sincere, 1024x760 looks very good to me and I was greatly surprised. I used Nvidia scaling option with my 7900GTX

1.- Menu Page 1024x760

pict0041ts6.jpg

2.- Menu Page 1600x1050

pict0042pu6.jpg

3.- In Game 1024x760

pict0043qv9.jpg

4.- In Game 1600x1050

pict0044px8.jpg

Well hope this will be useful...

Thank you very much paraiso36 for taking those screenshots.
I think too it looks really nice in 1024x768 stretched,nice and clear image.

Concerning the stretching,Do u get upset of the horizontal lengthening of the image using 1024x768 when you are playing a game with non-native widescreen resolution? or u get uset to it?

Thanks again.

(Hope my english is right)

MrZodiac said:
Thank you very much paraiso36 for taking those screenshots.
I think too it looks really nice in 1024x768 stretched.Do u get upset of the horizontal lengthening of the image using 1024x768 when you are playing a game with non-native widescreen resolution? or u get uset to it?

Thanks again.

(Hope my english is right)

Good Night,

You are welcome...as I mentioned before I am really happy how it looks in 1024x760... Desktop in Windows looks a little washed (anyway there is no problem to increase res there) but games looks very good indeed.

About Horizontal lenghtening I asume you are talking about "getting tired having to turn the head at both sides". Well if that is the case the answer is NO. The LCD is large but not extremely large. And as I read in a review, it is more natural to turn the head left and right with Widescreen LCDs than to turn it upwards and downwards with a 4:3 LCD.

PD: Dont worry about your English...it isnt my native language either... :p

Why the hell is that stupid sticker still on the top of your monitor? Those things were meant to be pulled off..

Dan_D said:
Why the hell is that stupid sticker still on the top of your monitor? Those things were meant to be pulled off..

Good Night,

Mmmmmmm...you are right...but this is the second time I turn on the LCD....I have had too much work and have traveled the last days so I havent been able even to put the LCD in its correct place...when I do that I will take all the stickers out and I will send you a special screenshot... ;)

Regards

paraiso36 said:
Good Night,

You are welcome...as I mentioned before I am really happy how it looks in 1024x760... Desktop in Windows looks a little washed (anyway there is no problem to increase res there) but games looks very good indeed.

About Horizontal lenghtening I asume you are talking about "getting tired having to turn the head at both sides". Well if that is the case the answer is NO. The LCD is large but not extremely large. And as I read in a review, it is more natural to turn the head left and right with Widescreen LCDs than to turn it upwards and downwards with a 4:3 LCD.

PD: Dont worry about your English...it isnt my native language either... :p

Sorry,it's my fault,I mean getting "annoyed" of looking at and image that is larger horizontally than vertically ("flattening effect") only when it is being stretched by the monitor using 1024x768 res or u forget about ir when u are immerse playing a game?

MrZodiac said:
Sorry,it's my fault,I mean getting "annoyed" of looking at and image that is larger horizontally than vertically ("flattening effect") only when it is being stretched by the monitor using 1024x768 res or u forget about ir when u are immerse playing a game?

Good Night,

Man...I was very fond of my VP171b LCD but this new LCD is huge compared with it and you really feel that you are "in the game"..For me its wonderful...But it is a taste matter...

I just got my VX2025WM 5 days back, loving every inch of it.

I have a 7900GS with 92.91 forceware, and honestly I expected scaling to be broken based on the comments here (not the more recent ones), but I was pleasantly surprised. Centred scaling and Locked fixed aspect ratio works as intended, with black bars at the sides/top when dropping to lower resolutions. I can post up pics of the scaling, if any of you want confirmation in addition to paraiso's pics.

Will check my firmware when I get back home.

My opinion on this monitor..

Backlight bleeding is quite apparent on the four corners only when I switch off the lights and put on a totally black background. However, when doing anything remotely normal, like gaming, general desktop usage, movies, I personally cannot notice the bleed.

Coming direct from a 17" CRT, I do not observe any ghosting in FPS games. I think I just do not have really sensitive eyes. Playing NFS Carbon on this is SWEET in WS format.

Blacks are quite OK on this monitor... I suppose its one of the best among all panel types, but somehow, I feel that in movies it could still be better! My brightness is set to a lowly 35, contrast 50 as I can't stand it being too bright. Watching DVD and DIVX movies on this is exceptional when viewed from about 3-4 feet away, but if viewed too close, the inadequecy of the DVD format is easily noticed in the forms of blocky graphics. Colours are impressive, not much difference between this and my CRT. There is little to none colour banding.

One complaint I have is that text is damn bloody small on this monitor. When playing Black&White 2 at native ws reso, I often cant make out what the heck my creature is thinking because his thoughts are sometimes shown in green coloured small text. I think a 22" version would make me happier :)

Overall, I would say this monitor is a steal, coz in my country, the other 20" ws monitors are around the same price but they only have a TN panel. A Dell 2007wp costs 30% more than this.

Has anyone tested input lag on this monitor yet? Can anyone recommend a good monitor calibration tool?

Edit: Mine is a WOVX-A v1.02 AUO NVT, manufacture date Aug 2006

paraiso36 said:
Good Night,

I will not lie to you..At first I notice the effect but after testing two games its almost natural..For me it doesnt matter really...I am absolutely happy woth this LCD and games are much more inmersive than using my 17" LCD...

Indeed the Company of heroes screens u posted looked amazing in 1024x768 even in the menu,where letters and soldat are wider dosen't seem a problem to me.
Don't know if u played Max Payne 2 (1024x768 stretched with no black bars) with VX2025WM and if it looked just like the screenshot i posted before.

XBOA2000 said:
That's pretty funny. Max Payne 2 is the first game I played stretched on this monitor where the stretching actually annoyed me.

That's why I haven't bought a VX2025WM yet cos I play many older games plus emulators and if they are gonna look like this when scaling to 1024x768...it's like trying to see a 4:3 movie in a 16:9 tv without aspect ratio.

parsona said:
I just got my VX2025WM 5 days back, loving every inch of it.

I have a 7900GS with 92.91 forceware, and honestly I expected scaling to be broken based on the comments here (not the more recent ones), but I was pleasantly surprised. Centred scaling and Locked fixed aspect ratio works as intended, with black bars at the sides/top when dropping to lower resolutions. I can post up pics of the scaling, if any of you want confirmation in addition to paraiso's pics.

Will check my firmware when I get back home.

My opinion on this monitor..

Backlight bleeding is quite apparent on the four corners only when I switch off the lights and put on a totally black background. However, when doing anything remotely normal, like gaming, general desktop usage, movies, I personally cannot notice the bleed.

Coming direct from a 17" CRT, I do not observe any ghosting in FPS games. I think I just do not have really sensitive eyes. Playing NFS Carbon on this is SWEET in WS format.

Blacks are quite OK on this monitor... I suppose its one of the best among all panel types, but somehow, I feel that in movies it could still be better! My brightness is set to a lowly 35, contrast 50 as I can't stand it being too bright. Watching DVD and DIVX movies on this is exceptional when viewed from about 3-4 feet away, but if viewed too close, the inadequecy of the DVD format is easily noticed in the forms of blocky graphics. Colours are impressive, not much difference between this and my CRT. There is little to none colour banding.

One complaint I have is that text is damn bloody small on this monitor. When playing Black&White 2 at native ws reso, I often cant make out what the heck my creature is thinking because his thoughts are sometimes shown in green coloured small text. I think a 22" version would make me happier :)

Overall, I would say this monitor is a steal, coz in my country, the other 20" ws monitors are around the same price but they only have a TN panel. A Dell 2007wp costs 30% more than this.

Has anyone tested input lag on this monitor yet? Can anyone recommend a good monitor calibration tool?

Edit: Mine is a WOVX-A v1.02 AUO NVT, manufacture date Aug 2006

About scaling pics if you could include a 1024x768 stretched with no black bars screenshot (just capture with Fraps or whatever capture program u use) would be appreciated.

Thank you for your review.

Desktop @ 1024x768 Centred

Episode 1 @ 1024x768 Centred

Episode 1 @ 1024x768 Streched

Episode 1 @ 1680x1050 full sweet res

BTW Mr Zodiac, a screencap using fraps or printscreen wont work in showing you the scaling quality coz you will just see a normal 1024x768 screenshot, not a streched one.

OK now I'm uber jealous!

I want 1:1 scaling on my VX2025WM toooooo! :p

For some reason y can do pixel 1:1 on Widescreen resolutions but not on 4:3 resolutions. :confused:

My only complain is the backlight bleeding... the X is very noticible on dark screen with light off... not that bad when the lights are on.

Big Thanks Parsona!! Half-Life in 1024 stretched looks really really good.

I have ordered it a few of days ago.Hope to receive it before saturday or the beginning next week.Can't wait!

ur right about taking screens with fraps,i didn't notice that;one thing i have done (a guy told me in a spanish forum) was take a 1024x768 screen of a gme and expand it to 1680x1050 using Paint just to see how full screen stretching would work approximately in VX2025WM playing older games like Mafia.

That's it! Parsonas pics convinced me to try one of these out.
Thanks Parsona for the sweeeeet looking pics. :D

I can agree that the pictures look good and it's hard to tell them apart from the untstretched ones besides the different aspect ratio. But in reality the stretched picture won't be near as sharp as the native resoluiton. So I wouldn't make up my mind just from seeing them. They really don't say anything about how it will look in real life.

Edit: Spelling.

I wish my VX2025's DVI hadn't died out within a few weeks of use. This is the second Viewsonic product that screwed me over within the past year. Poopy.

Booker said:
wow that sucks!!!

That it does. Unfortunately, it happened to many people so far, search online for VX2025 DVI and you will several people complaining about it. This forum also has some people that were hit by it.

If there is one thing I don't like about my 2025 is mine will only scale, there is no way to make it display at the resolution I select with black bars or for it to maintain the aspect ratio. I wish there was a way to update the firmware on my model to enable it to do this :mad: .

FiZ said:
If there is one thing I don't like about my 2025 is mine will only scale, there is no way to make it display at the resolution I select with black bars or for it to maintain the aspect ratio. I wish there was a way to update the firmware on my model to enable it to do this :mad: .

I know some people were able to do this.
On my case i was able to do 1280x720 1:1 scaling
But when i tried any 4:3 resolution it stretch the whole image.

clockworks said:
That it does. Unfortunately, it happened to many people so far, search online for VX2025 DVI and you will several people complaining about it. This forum also has some people that were hit by it.

Lucky we have 3 years warranty by viewsonic :)

Booker said:
Lucky we have 3 years warranty by viewsonic :)

I'm going to see how good they are about it. I'll send my monitor in at the end of the month and see if they will fix it. I hope I don't have to pay for shipping.

clockworks said:
I'm going to see how good they are about it. I'll send my monitor in at the end of the month and see if they will fix it. I hope I don't have to pay for shipping.

ok.. let us know :)

by the way, i was playing around with the image scaling.. and i found my monitor does 1:1 pixel only on widescreen resolutions.

1280x720
1280x768
1440x900

but when i try any 4:3 aspec ratio... it strech the image to fullscreen.

Any idea why i can do 1:1 only with widescreen while on 4:3 don´t work?

Is useless as this, since i only want to do 1:1 on 4:3 aspect ratio...

Booker said:

by the way, i was playing around with the image scaling.. and i found my monitor does 1:1 pixel only on widescreen resolutions.

1280x720
1280x768
1440x900

but when i try any 4:3 aspec ratio... it strech the image to fullscreen.

Any idea why i can do 1:1 only with widescreen while on 4:3 don´t work?

Is useless as this, since i only want to do 1:1 on 4:3 aspect ratio...

Any theory why widescreen resolutions are 1:1 image scaling while 4:3 are streched?

Booker said:

1280x720
1280x768
1440x900...
On these resolutions I get black borders under and on top but not on the sides :(

What firmware does your screen have?

Alucard IX said:
On these resolutions I get black borders under and on top but not on the sides :(

What firmware does your screen have?
Weird.... how do i find my firmware?

let me know and i´ll post it.

Booker said:
Weird.... how do i find my firmware?

let me know and i´ll post it.
Power up the monitor while holding button 2. Then go to the "F" option in the screen menu.
Mine is v1.0.

Note: I have an ATI x1900. So it may handle the scaling differently than an Nvidia card.
I think ATI has the most problems with this monitor actually. :(
If someone can run 1:1 on their ati, please report it and which firmware version you have.
I hope they've fixed the scaling in the more recent versions, or that they will in the future.

Does anyone try the 6.11 dirvers to see if the image scaling is fixed on the ATI videocards?

Alucard IX said:
I can agree that the pictures look good and it's hard to tell them apart from the untstretched ones besides the different aspect ratio. But in reality the stretched picture won't be near as sharp as the native resoluiton. So I wouldn't make up my mind just from seeing them. They really don't say anything about how it will look in real life.

Edit: Spelling.

I'm not making my decision just after looking at the previous screens ofcourse. I've been reading this whole post from start so I am pretty aware of all the issues with this LCD.
The thing I got so happy about is that there finally is a way to use 4:3aspect ratio with black bars on the side on this screen for 79xx users.

But if you know a widescreen which can use 4:3 ratio with black bars that will look charper then the VX2025wm in that mode and at the same time have all the other qualitys of this screen then please tell me. I've been looking for a good allround screen for months now. :)

I don't want to have the picture streched. It just looks uggly. What I want is to be able to have a nonstreched 4:3 resolution with black bars on the side when I'm playing older games. And a nonstreched 16:10 wide resolution when using new games and programs that can use 16:10 aspect ratio. When using 16:10 I'm always gonna use the native resolution ofcourse. And those pictures show that it works right? Even for a GeForce 79xx user. I know that the low resolution 4:3 picture probably will not be as charp as the native 16:10 resolution but it is far better to have the picture scaled right than have it streched out even if will looks less charp.

Another thing I would like to know is if VX2025wm users with newer production dates also have encountered the "dead DVI connection" problem?

Cheers! :D

Just my thoughts about these screens.
These screens are taken by Parsona who found out a way to make the 4:3 scaling work. I hope you don't mind me using them again. :)

Episode 1 @ 1024x768 Centred

GREAT! It workes for 79xx users!

Episode 1 @ 1024x768 Streched

This is just uggly! Chubby girl! This I don't want for my older games.

Episode 1 @ 1680x1050 full sweet res

Why don't all games support 16:10 res! *cry* This is so sweet looking.

Was this problem solved with just using the right forceware or did it have to be a VX2025wm with a newer productiondate to make this work?

Cheers! :D

Back