Videocard squeeks when I scroll

3DChipset

Gawd
I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem before? You hear it when you're in IE8 or Firefox. When you scroll a web page you hear like a high pitch faint sound. I've seen to pinpoint it to the video card. (Diamond 4890)... Anyone else hear a high pitch faint sound when browsing on the internet?

I had that issue once before. Something is generating noise that comes through the PC speakers.
I use Chrome now. Not had that issue. But I doubt if it is the browser that is the problem.

You have to feed the mice that run one the little wheel. Or if you've been doing that, I suggest oiling the wheel.

(seriously, I have no idea)

It sounds like blitter noise, but you'll need to do some testing to be sure. Can you still hear the noise when the sound is unplugged? Can you swap out parts to narrow the component down?

The 4890 is notorious for squealing. Mine doesn't do it when scrolling pages, but does it when I run 3DMark or any 3D intensive stuff for that matter.

I've had this before too, on an old X850.
The sound eminates from the card, not the speakers.

I'm not sure this is coil whine. I've had two cards with horrid coil whine and neither of them had any problems with squealing while scrolling in web pages.

I do however have a laptop which does it, and it doesn't even have a video card.

The point is, it could be anything. I've heard the PSU, even the CPU implicated in cases like this.

I'm not sure this is coil whine. I've had two cards with horrid coil whine and neither of them had any problems with squealing while scrolling in web pages.

I do however have a laptop which does it, and it doesn't even have a video card.

The point is, it could be anything. I've heard the PSU, even the CPU implicated in cases like this.
I have a GTX 285 that has very loud coil whine while playing games and I can definitely hear my video card "squealing" when I scroll web pages. So no OP, you are not alone with this problem.

It should be fairly obvious as to which component is making the noise when your speakers are off (obviously).

Last edited:
My 4870x2 makes a squealing noise when I scroll up/down on some web pages and most office documents, it seems to be triggered by light/white background items.

Interesting so even the GTX 285 causes the whine? My dilema is I have no sound card with no speakers and I hear the whine directly from the card itself. So this is just something I have to deal with? Nothing around it?

I had a motherboard in an HP comp that did that. some little part on it would make a little whine noise while scrolling or opening up web pages. I exchanged the pc for another one and the second one did it too but it was not nearly as loud.

I've heard this noise on other peoples computers that thought they could just buy a bunch of parts and throw them together. It was always a system configuration mismatch caused by the power supply or timings. Good luck with it!

I've heard this noise on other peoples computers that thought they could just buy a bunch of parts and throw them together. It was always a system configuration mismatch caused by the power supply or timings. Good luck with it!
well in my case it was just a coil, or whatever its called, on the motherboard.

for me, it was a coil on my old 8500GT. every time a window would scroll, it would make a horrible squealing noise.

some hot glue on the coil can help sometimes.

An update:

Well I returned the Diamond 4890 and threw in my temp 8600 GS card and I have no squealing whatsoever. Since the card doesn't use any auxillary power connectors to run I'm waiting for the GTX 295 from eVGA to appear Wednesday here and I'll see if that has any squealing noise. So far for me it looked like it was the video card. the GTX 295 will be the test though. Then I can rule out it's not the eVGA X58 Micro board.

had the same on a 9600GT. oddly enough, that same card on a different motherboard made no such noise.

ditto to the noise with my 8800 gtx when benching. when i first heard it, i thought i was over loading my power supply!~

If you want to get rid of the squeal while surfing the web, just underclock your video card during 2D IDLE desktop usage.

With my MSI HD4890 @ stock PowerPlay control (bouncing from 240/999 to 880/999 randomly), I would hear the little squeals whenever I scrolled through pages in IE.

Underclocking the card to 150/175 with Rivatuner (and undervolting) totally got rid of the sound.

This is a guaranteed fix...

Interesting so even the GTX 285 causes the whine? My dilema is I have no sound card with no speakers and I hear the whine directly from the card itself. So this is just something I have to deal with? Nothing around it?

My GTX285 dosn't whine...

Isn't this just coil whine ... ? If so it's a very common issue ... listen carefully to your card while you're gaming, it'll make the same noise, just a lot louder and more consistent.

My GTX285 dosn't whine...

Mine does when fps reaches into the 100s or 1000s (game menu, etc.) though common with most newish cards some people have the luck of the draw in getting a silent card. I have to say the fan noise from my system helps in masking it. Should have heard my passively cooled PCI-E 6600gt, it didn't whine so much as ring like a miniature bell rung telephone. And since there wasn't a whole lot of fan noise to mask the ringing it was quite noticable.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

as far as i could tell, it sounds like PWM noise. similar sound that you would hear from a cordless drill when the trigger isnt pulled all the way.

i've had this problem on several of my components. my system is extremely quiet so whenever something squeals, i can hear it. my PSU makes the high pitch noise whenever i'm running prime95. one of the HD4650 that i had squealed like a pig every time i'm doing anything 3D or booting up so i couldn't stand it and sold it.

Here is the solution: play music :D

Not much else you can do unless you want to douse your card in nail polish (no thanks!)

In my case my PSU makes noise while my Sapphire HD 4830 doesn't really make any noise. Squeaking/squealing/chattering/etc from PSU worsens when the clocks isn't 2D (the higher the noisier). I'm getting inconsistent results though, stress the 4830 and neither the PSU nor the 4830 makes any noise. When scrolling, however, the clocks go to 3D and the noise drives me crazy.

older bro's 280gtx squeals more then a pig but my 880gtx doesnt squeal at all

My old 8800 GTX did this. I narrowed it down to one of the capacitors on the board.

My GTX 285's don't do this.

My EVGA GTX 285 (vanilla & original version) makes a noise as well whenever I scroll the scrollbar up or down on webpages or other programs, like notepad. If you were to water cool the card, would it eliminate the noise?

Had this issue with my old 4870s in CF, it occured when a webpage was displaying graphics or a lot of images. Definitely capacitor whine.

My HIS 4890 made a little bit of "squeal" noise when I first bought it, but it seems to have stopped.

Update: #2

Well I installed the eVGA GTX 295 CO-OP and glad to report there is no squeeling on webpages. Looks like the Diamond 4890 was the culprit for me....

I hope it's ok to revive this thread since it's a top result in a web search.

How would a person verify that it's coming from the GPU?

I built an entirely new PC and I'm still having this problem, but I can't pinpoint it by ear. The noise tester app on my smartphone doesn't seem to be precise enough either.

It happened on my old PC with an AMD 290x, and new PC with an AMD 5700.

I've disabled the onboard audio, added/removed a Titanium HD soundcard. Messed with so many BIOS and Windows settings. This is such a strange problem.

And I have a feeling that whatever is causing this is also causing problems with my mouse hz (since it happens when I scroll a web page), which are unstable regardless of whether I put it at 500hz or 1000hz. And I've gone thorough extensive Windows/BIOS tweaking threads exclusively for mouse hz.

Also, I've seen other people say they only experience it on Firefox, but for me it also occurs on Chrome.

I built an entirely new PC and I'm still having this problem, but I can't pinpoint it by ear. The noise tester app on my smartphone doesn't seem to be precise enough either.

I've disabled the onboard audio, added/removed a Titanium HD soundcard. Messed with so many BIOS and Windows settings. This is such a strange problem.

And I have a feeling that whatever is causing this is also causing problems with my mouse hz (since it happens when I scroll a web page), which are unstable regardless of whether I put it at 500hz or 1000hz. And I've gone thorough extensive Windows/BIOS tweaking threads exclusively for mouse hz.

Also, I've seen other people say they only experience it on Firefox, but for me it also occurs on Chrome.
Use the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels like a stethoscope to locate exactly where it is coming from.

Usually its just coil whine, a lot of GPU's suffer from it. I would assume if you fired up a game, especially without a frame limit you'd get a similar noise.

Its possible its your power supply that's making the noise, hard to pinpoint what component it is though if you can't identify which one is making the noise. You could try disabling hardware acceleration in chrome to try to make it use the cpu to render things out instead of the gpu but that might not help much as the gpu still drives the display.

Back