• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Verizon Wireless Debuts Tiered Data Plans

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Another one joins the bunch. Another one joins the bunch. And another one does and another does…another one joins the bunch. Hey, they’re gonna get you too...another one joins the bunch. Too bad we are talking about tiered data plans. :(

Verizon Wireless is quietly rolling out tiered pricing plans for mobile data usage, making it the latest carrier to shift to payment plans based on the amount of wireless data customers consume rather than the unlimited plans originally introduced to encourage smartphone adoption.
 
Verizon Wireless customers will still be able to get unlimited data at an unchanged $30 per month rate; however, data misers will be able to cut that fee down to $14.99 if they can live within 150 MB of data transfer per month.

Wait, so how is this a bad thing? Seems like they still offer unlimited data at the same price according to the article. So all they are doing is adding a lower tier for those who want a smart phone but don't use much data. This is a good thing IMO. It will only turn into a bad thing if they kill the unlimited tier or increase it's price.
 
What a joke! Verizon has one of the largest fiber networks in the US , and they charge so much for usage. ~ 60 min of streaming Pandora will use up your monthly quota on the $15 plan. I understand that if all "Smart Phones" users were "Power Users" then it would bring Verizon's network to its knees, so offering a 150MB package for $15 will keep that from occuring. These carriers need to offer something realistic in the $15 realm .... something like 20gig's a month.
 
Wait, so how is this a bad thing? Seems like they still offer unlimited data at the same price according to the article. So all they are doing is adding a lower tier for those who want a smart phone but don't use much data. This is a good thing IMO. It will only turn into a bad thing if they kill the unlimited tier or increase it's price.

They are tiering all their non-smartphone services. PC cards, hotspots, tablets, etc. I'm certain that smartphones will soon follow.
 
I am assuming current unlimited subscribers are grand-fathered in?
 
Wait, so how is this a bad thing? Seems like they still offer unlimited data at the same price according to the article. So all they are doing is adding a lower tier for those who want a smart phone but don't use much data. This is a good thing IMO. It will only turn into a bad thing if they kill the unlimited tier or increase it's price.

I agree with this. Adding options for people is great as long as they don't ruin the current options. Right now I pay $10 a month for unlimited data for a "non-Smartphone". I have a envTouch. But can't really download any apps, so I use it mainly for web surfing. I have been desiring a smartphone though, and will probably pick up an android based phone when my contract is up. But if I end up not using smartphone a lot, switching to $15 a month for data would totally be worth it. I have only downloaded 1GB of data in the 14 months of having this phone. Which begs the question, is this 150 MB down? Or a sum of both up and down?
 
Yeah I will just keep my unlimited for $30. $15 bucks for just 150mb sounds a little steep. Only on occasion that I would consider myself a power user. But if I "power used" three months out of the year, I am sure it is still cheaper to have the unlimited plan vs paying overage charges.
 
What a joke! Verizon has one of the largest fiber networks in the US , and they charge so much for usage. ~ 60 min of streaming Pandora will use up your monthly quota on the $15 plan. I understand that if all "Smart Phones" users were "Power Users" then it would bring Verizon's network to its knees, so offering a 150MB package for $15 will keep that from occuring. These carriers need to offer something realistic in the $15 realm .... something like 20gig's a month.
Laying fiber isn't cheap.
 
AT&T's iPhone tiered plan changes allowed me to drop down to a $15 a month Data plan that I have NEVER come close to using up and it saves me $15 a month over the unlimited I use to have.
It's a good thing as long as they don't try to gouge everyone in the future.
 
Yeah, I still re-grandfathered myself into $30 a month plan.

In case anyone is wondering:

1. take an iphone 2G,
2. register it with an unlimited EDGE plan (there is only one and it is unlimited)
3. upgrade to a 3G data plan, claiming being grandfathered in from your old unlimited.

That's what I did :p
 
Can someone answer a question for me?

I live in Kansas where I signed up for Alltel. I'm currently on my 2nd two year contract with them, exactly 1 year and 4 months in with 10 months remaining.

I have unlimited data and unlimted text, 500 anytime minutes, free calls after 7 and weekends and free calls to any other verizon customer. I pay $89 dollars a month.

I just recently got the Droid X July 15th and I think my 2 years started over because of the new phone.

When Aug 2011 gets here, do I get to maintain my contract or can they move me out of it? Or did my 2 years start over when I got the Droid X and I get to maintain my unlimted data and text for two years now or .. what I'm worried about is that they can change my plan on me?

I'm seriously confused.
 
That's actually kind of nice for the people on the $9.99 25 MB plan. $5 more a month for 150 MB seems like a decent deal.
 
EDIT: Also, people talking about being "grandfathered" in to the unlimited data plan...

They're not getting rid of unlimited data for $30/mo. They're just adding other options.
 
What a joke! Verizon has one of the largest fiber networks in the US , and they charge so much for usage. ~ 60 min of streaming Pandora will use up your monthly quota on the $15 plan. I understand that if all "Smart Phones" users were "Power Users" then it would bring Verizon's network to its knees, so offering a 150MB package for $15 will keep that from occuring. These carriers need to offer something realistic in the $15 realm .... something like 20gig's a month.

I usually stream pandora for 8+ hours a few mondays a month, glad that unlimited is still there, but this feels like the first step before a price hike.
 
I think this is great, the reason I never got a smart phone is that I don't want to pay $30 for something I rarely use, for half the price I get an amount that is around what I would use.
 
EDIT: Also, people talking about being "grandfathered" in to the unlimited data plan...

They're not getting rid of unlimited data for $30/mo. They're just adding other options.

Awesome, I didn't read that (very important part) however, I can't help but feel that it's only a matter of time before they pull that plug...
 
I'm not really mad about this since they are still offering the $30/month unlimited... but goddamn these extremely low caps need to be rid of. I'd expect at least 500mb for $15. And do not get me started on the $9.99 25mb plan.
 
I'm not really mad about this since they are still offering the $30/month unlimited... but goddamn these extremely low caps need to be rid of. I'd expect at least 500mb for $15. And do not get me started on the $9.99 25mb plan.

Basically they know there are people that use next to no data and the reason they don't buy better phones is the $30 data plan, so with cheaper plans they hope to suck people in.
 
I've read multiple articles in the last week that say the unlimited plan is not going anywhere anytime soon. A non issue here. If you want a cheaper plan get one of the new options. If you want unlimited get it like I just did earlier this week. Not a problem.
 
corporate in our trainings is aiming this at blackberry owners excluding the storm (because its larger "multimedia" screen). They say a good chunk of them dont even use that much data thanks to bis servers compressing data for web and apps minus audio ones.

I average 2~3 gb a month and i listen to pandora 3 hours a day and lots of web browsing. when i tether i get close to 5gb a lot
 
Back
Top