• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Venice rumors here please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, that was my thought. though word of the 4200+ could have gotten out before an NDA was placed
 
yeah, i dont know why they would make it san diego though. rebranding the high end cores. the venice seems to have plenty of head room.
 
what else would you do with all the leftover cores? just toss em? ;)

i think amd might be switching the normal desktop line back to 1mb and have 2mb in FX.. sometime in the future, so their move sorta makes sense.
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
what else would you do with all the leftover cores? just toss em? ;)

i think amd might be switching the normal desktop line back to 1mb and have 2mb in FX.. sometime in the future, so their move sorta makes sense.

This is something they should have already done with the 90nm process. Oh well, wouldnt want to have too big of a jump in performance over previous models, heh. I wonder if 2mb would be really useful to the FX series?
 
staying with 512KB L2 does save money, and every penny helps AMD. Since they can still use the smaller cache and get good performance i think they will stick with it.
 
SparkedFire said:
staying with 512KB L2 does save money, and every penny helps AMD. Since they can still use the smaller cache and get good performance i think they will stick with it.

I suppose, but once we see 65nm, there's not going to be any excuse for 512kb cache, except on Semprons.
 
doormat said:
Rumor: Venice tomorrow.. maybe even DC opteron.

Source? On the Anandtech website, in a post by Anand himself (comments to todays P-EE review), he said that he has another NDA tomorrow morning, and then would get back to more interesting benchmarks with the P-EE and P-D. I'm willing to bet that the NDA coming up tomorrow morning is infact Venice and possibly dual core opterons (would NOT suprise me at all, since I saw on the INQ that AMD was going to deliver dual core opterons early in Q2, and it is early Q2). It would be a good way to counter all this Intel PR.

how about an article on the dual core cpus?

this Inq story says that Intel "released" theirs today (paper launch, parts coming later this quarter) so maybe AMD will also...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22328


AMD and Intel throw their toys out of their prams

It was ever thus

By Charlie Demerjian: Tuesday 05 April 2005, 03:06


THE CHILDREN ARE FIGHTING again, and boy is it petty. Yes, this time, it is about dual cores, and the players are what you would expect, AMD and Intel. The games started a long time ago, when AMD first announced that they were doing the dual core thing in production. Not to be pipped again, like with 1GHz and 64-bit, Intel said they would get there first.

A lot of engineers probably lost some sleep over that pronouncement, and the Smithfield core was born, or more to the point, hacked together. It would be out a full quarter before AMD, HAH! Take that! No word on performance though, but it will have two cores. And it will be out first. Did we mention we are out first?

In response, what does AMD do? Well, it has a much more developed desktop and server dual core program, Intel is still far ahead on mobile, so it pulled it forward. Now AMD was before Intel. Hah, take that, did I mention WE are now first?

Not to be outdone, Intel pulled its forward, and if the press releases coming into my inbox are any indication, it pulled it forwards to today. The asterisk after today says it won't actually ship them until later this quarter in numbers you can't count to with your socks on, but hey, they are released today. Expect Dell to offer them with a long lead time, and everyone else to get them later.

There is also a strong rumoUr that HP will be releasing its Opterons, with dual cores, today. Imagine the coincidence. Now, I do like both the AMD and Intel PR people, but a cross country car trip with both in the back seat would probably lead to a bunch of unmarked graves along logging roads.

With the paper launches in full swing again, I guess it is time for me to break out the potshot cannon and fire away. Let's try and hold them to the press releases this time, for me, they won't be out until they are available in quantity, with no wait. He hit me first, no, she is sitting on my side of the seat. Behave children! µ
 
this thread has exploded with huge incoming posts just within the last 24 hours :eek:

seems like almost everyone wants a piece of this core.
 
Jason711 said:
with that it would be 11, right? :) this thread is too big anway... i dunno who would wanna go through it all...

Well any1 wanting to know whats happening with Venice should. And that’s the reason why I try to keep the first page updated.

Personal note to: Scali; cfEclipse.

Were up to 20 pages plus here and this thread has exploded today. I love reading your debates and learn a lot from it. And you are both biased but in all fairness you are also aware of it and trying to keep the discussion at a high lvl.
But please no more in this tread… Lets create a Debate thread and name it Scali vs. cfEclipse and I could moderate (as in keeping discussion on track) it or at least add some fuel now and then. :D

Edit to personal Note… Hito_Bahadur feel free to read the note to Scali and cf…

And Cell_491: Stop Trolling (i.e posting Re: Intel/AMD)

doormat said:
Rumor: Venice tomorrow.. maybe even DC opteron.
Source? On the Anandtech website, in a post by Anand himself (comments to todays P-EE review), he said that he has another NDA tomorrow morning, and then would get back to more interesting benchmarks with the P-EE and P-D. I'm willing to bet that the NDA coming up tomorrow morning is infact Venice and possibly dual core opterons (would NOT suprise me at all, since I saw on the INQ that AMD was going to deliver dual core opterons early in Q2, and it is early Q2). It would be a good way to counter all this Intel PR.

I read this too, I interpreted it exactly the same as U. I do hope (Im for the under dog as usual) that it is DC but I think its Venice or San Diego (might be the 4200+).

Regarding the two price links posted here. I really don’t feel comfortable quoting them. The german site is ok from a name and SSE3 point of view but is so far out of the loop on everything else that they seem unreliable. The US-site at least quotes 650USD for a 3800+ but has no spec on what it its they are selling.
 
robberbaron said:
I suppose, but once we see 65nm, there's not going to be any excuse for 512kb cache, except on Semprons.

they (or whatever the low end chips are called) will still have 256KB of L2 on 65nm. The excuse is that it is a corporation and they will do what is best for their shareholders

(Unless Intel makes all their cpus with 512KB of L2 or more)
 
Frallan said:
And you are both biased

I most certainly am not biased. But it may look that way in an all-AMD forum perhaps. If anything, I don't care for x86 in general, because I think it's all outdated rubbish anyway. I've always been more of a Motorola fan. I do keep up with the x86 market, obviously... but I can't possibly have bias when I don't even care for the architecture in the first place.
I doubt that you can produce any statements that I made, that are biased, rather than factual.
 
needmorecarnitine said:
(Unless Intel makes all their cpus with 512KB of L2 or more)

That doens't necessarily mean anything. Look. Intel has 2MB L2 cache desktop chips. Does AMD? No. Guess we will just have to wait it out. Na, debating is more fun :D .
 
Frallan said:
Well any1 wanting to know whats happening with Venice should. And that’s the reason why I try to keep the first page updated.

Personal note to: Scali; cfEclipse.

Were up to 20 pages plus here and this thread has exploded today. I love reading your debates and learn a lot from it. And you are both biased but in all fairness you are also aware of it and trying to keep the discussion at a high lvl.
But please no more in this tread… Lets create a Debate thread and name it Scali vs. cfEclipse and I could moderate (as in keeping discussion on track) it or at least add some fuel now and then. :D

Edit to personal Note… Hito_Bahadur feel free to read the note to Scali and cf…

And Cell_491: Stop Trolling (i.e posting Re: Intel/AMD)



I read this too, I interpreted it exactly the same as U. I do hope (Im for the under dog as usual) that it is DC but I think its Venice or San Diego (might be the 4200+).

Regarding the two price links posted here. I really don’t feel comfortable quoting them. The german site is ok from a name and SSE3 point of view but is so far out of the loop on everything else that they seem unreliable. The US-site at least quotes 650USD for a 3800+ but has no spec on what it its they are selling.

well then... ill just look at the first post. the rest is inconsequential..
 
Its now official Im spending to much time hanging around forums like this updating threads like this. I just hit 512 posts...
 
Frallan said:
Its now official Im spending to much time hanging around forums like this updating threads like this. I just hit 512 posts...

I usually shy away from monster threadsmyself.

It would be nice however if we could get back on topic.
 
Shit. It looks like I was wrong...

The NDA coming off this moring is for nForce 4 Intel edition or whatever the hell its called. Not for DC Opterons....

:( :( :(

Venices are starting to tip up, but I'm guessing that they're going to get a back seat at most sites since its Intels dual core that are going to get the page hits (and therefore the advertising revenue).

I long for you, dual core opteron, you're just about as elusive as my girlfriend.
 
doormat said:
Shit. It looks like I was wrong...

The NDA coming off this moring is for nForce 4 Intel edition or whatever the hell its called. Not for DC Opterons....

:( :( :(

Venices are starting to tip up, but I'm guessing that they're going to get a back seat at most sites since its Intels dual core that are going to get the page hits (and therefore the advertising revenue).

I long for you, dual core opteron, you're just about as elusive as my girlfriend.

Yeah, this sucks. Were so looking forward to AMD doing something. I thought AMD would have DC out before Intel, then again, this Intel DC launch is a paper launch so it would be interesting to see if Newegg gets some AMD stock in before Intel.
 
agreed.. though note how much clock speed is needed to overcome the lack of cache. in things that seem to need pure processing power, the higher clocked sempron wins, but when it comes to gaming, the slower, larger cached a64s catch up, and sometimes beat the overclocked sempron

that in mind though, it is an AMAZING[/i] buy for the money.
 
OMG I am going nuts waiting for this freaking chip. It is the only item I need to build my system.
I have been constantly checking newegg and monarch.
 
god damnit today has been the worse day ever. I'm fighting with my gf, my work has caught me sneaking out on friday. this annoying lady i sold a computer keeps on bbugging me and works terribly hectic today.

Now the venice is still not out. What more, I cant take it no more

insane.jpg
 
actually, i think sempr0n is better... the best chip for watching pr0n on.. ever!

and mamma.. *hug!*
feel better dude
 
MaMMa

Rule number 1: When u get up in the morning say Im sorry
Rule number 2: say you sorry

Now go kiss and make up. Just don't give any issues up :D
 
Ahh fresh day. I am not sorry for nothing! RAWR! I'll think about it. :(

So, I'm taking out my winchester this weekend (doing 2628 w/ocz value :)) and putting it in the shuttle for my gf I just made. So until mister venice decides to come in the markey I'll be on only at work :( I really wanted to wait and see how the venice does and wait for some maturity before hopping on the bandwagon but I now have no choice but to be one of the first lab rats (i do not mind much either).
 
don't worry mamma. people will love you for being one of the first ;)
plus, if you run into trouble.. yeah, we can offer (probably useless) advice
 
Does anyone know if AMD actually shipped them on the 4th? C'mon, SOMEONE out there knows :|
 
someone who works at amd, yes. sadly we don't have any amd reps around here.
though, mark my words, i'm gonna try to be one :p :cool:
 
From what i understand they were shipped, but the question is from where? and who gets the first shipments?
 
Specialist[X] said:
watch, we will prob have to end up waiting another month i tell you... :mad:

I don't think it'll be that long. And if it is shame on you for jynixing it :mad:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top