Vega's Quad-SLI 3GB GTX580 sub-zero liquid cooled build

3dMark11 score?

:cool:

For some reason 3DMark11 is not liking Quad-SLI, the drivers or both. It keeps locking up even with stock clocks. Everything else works fine so I don't know.

Vega did your GPU-Z not tell you to upgrade to 0.53 or is that shot old?

Ya it was old GPU-Z. Here are some newer ones with a couple of Metro2033 benchmark runs at my 24/7 gaming speeds:

Metro1920x1080.jpg

Metro1680x1050.jpg

GPUs were only at around 60-70% usage at these resolutions.

Mutli-GPU in 3DMark is broken from my last experience with it back in November, haven't touched it since. I never really tried to figure it it out as I beat 3DMark years ago.;)

Mutli-GPU in 3DMark is broken from my last experience with it back in November, haven't touched it since. I never really tried to figure it it out as I beat 3DMark years ago.;)

Ya I never got the point much of running a benchmark like 3DMark11 at 1280x720? My GPUs idle at 1080P half the time let alone that tiny resolution.

I think 2560x1600 should be the standard minimum benchmark, but only a small portion of people use that resolution. I would wager though a high percentage of enthusiasts do.

That sucks that you are having driver issues. I know ppl can do it with Tri-SLi.

I like 3dMark for the lone reason that it lets you compare all sorts of systems on the same scale.

Wow i think that is possibly the sickest PC i have ever seen in my entire existance. :0

I've noticed that. Is that because of vsync in the F1 video?

F1 2010 is strange because no matter the resolution, it doesn't max out the GPUs for some reason. It's not CPU limiting because I can apply like 8x AA and it still doesn't max out GPUs like some other games.

On another note, as we all know monitor bezels are the bane of every Eyefinity/Surround user. Now I have removed the bezels on my HP ZR30w's to get them a bit closer, but I am still not satisfied. I have once again stripped down the monitors to take a gander at the internals. After thorough analysis, with some extreme modifications I believe I can get the distance between lit pixels below an astonishing 10 millimeters. That is down from a current 35 millimeters. Now I say lit pixels because the actual lit pixels do not extend to the edge of the LCD glass. Not to mention there are ribbon data cables attached to the sides.

I know that seems far fetched, but with some ingenuity and a lot of work, I think I might be able to pull this off. It would definitely make this display setup one of a kind. Although, I am holding off on the project for the moment to test out a couple of different monitors. First inbound is an Acer H274H 27"120Hz to take a part. Remember, I do not care what the outside bezel thickness is. It's all about how small the "unlit" edges of the internal LCD are. I am also interested in purchasing the new Samsung SA750 120Hz to take apart. This seems very promising as it already is very thin and has a small bezel:

IMG_6657_540x810.jpg

IMG_6669_540x810.jpg

Now that my system is humming along nicely decimating games, I can turn my focus onto everyones nemesis; minimizing the gaps between LCD panels. I simply cannot go back to a single display. Even using a single 30", its like I have to squint now to see opponents and things off in the distance compared. :D

I was wondering if you were going to try something like this. With those huge monitors you have in the configuration you have them. Less bezel more awsome! Good luck on your adventure!

You have hands of a neurosurgeon hahaha

It is ironic that you say that because I am going to need to set up a "clean room" environment while doing this modification so dust doesn't get between the LCD panel and the light diffuser layers. :eek:

Look into using your bathroom. I was reading about a window mod for hard drives a couple years back. The simple way to avoid dust was to steam up the bathroom to get all the dust out of the air and then do it in there. I never got around to it, but it's an option and might save you a lot of trouble/expense.

Look into using your bathroom. I was reading about a window mod for hard drives a couple years back. The simple way to avoid dust was to steam up the bathroom to get all the dust out of the air and then do it in there. I never got around to it, but it's an option and might save you a lot of trouble/expense.

Hm, that sounds like a good idea.

What was the total price?

~12k and a lot of labor. :eek:

Another one for you benchmark types: http://www.overclock.net/benchmarki...30-heaven-benchmark-2-a-104.html#post13197293

Pulled 1850watt from the wall on this run. Antec HCP-1200 didn't hiccup lol! :D

SANY0005-6.jpg

Coolant is running about -2 C at the moment. Testing CPU @ 5.5Ghz @ 1.59 vcore. Idling around 0 C and full IBT load around ~28C. Testing Quad-SLI with core @ 1055Mhz @ 1.15v. GPUs idle ~2 C with a 100% load ~12 C. The GPU PCBs get chilled down real low and the VRM temps are silly low! If I try and go any lower on the liquid I will have to start swapping out some of the distilled water + water wetter for some propylene glycol. So far the heat has been kept well under control with -2 C liquid (water wetter adds a very small amount of anti-freeze). Considering water has the best heat transfer capability and adding propylene glycol would reduce heat transfer capability, I might stay at -2 C.

Checking some HWbot stats, I might be able to pull down some of the fastest non-liquid nitrogen / dry ice numbers out there for 24/7 use.

Are we at ludicrous speed yet?

ludicrous-speed.png

^- lol

I was playing some F1 2010 and my computer just turns off. I was like oh great, what is broken. Turns out I've blown another surge suppressor. It was hot to the touch! :eek:

I also cannot find a UPS that can handle these watts. Anyone know of a 20AMP surge suppressor and/or UPS?

^- lol

I was playing some F1 2010 and my computer just turns off. I was like oh great, what is broken. Turns out I've blown another surge suppressor. It was hot to the touch! :eek:

I also cannot find a UPS that can handle these watts. Anyone know of a 20AMP surge suppressor and/or UPS?

2x HCP1200s with 2x surge suppressors should give you the redundancy you need and protect your gear from an overstresed psu. It probably won't cost much more than one super rugged surge protector.

Newegg has some 20amp ups. Where I got mine for my home theater rack. Have 20amp outlets in my computer room also nice to have a dad thats an eletriction. I would go with a 1800watt + ups if your just going to run one. Looking to add anoughter 800-1200 bucks to that build total.

1850W. AT THE WALL. :eek: Holy fuck™, man. Makeroflostsouls is dead on: this is where you should be scoping out a server-grade UPS and using it as a combination backup/end table...

(Now taking bets on how long before V'Ger--yeah, I went there--becomes self-aware and tries to electrocute you...)

^- lol

For a 20A circuit, you can get one of these: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA2200XL&total_watts=50, but that might not be enough for everything. APC has higher rated units, but you would have to move up to a 30A+ circuit or go to 220v. This unit would be better, but it requires a 30A circuit: http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA3000XL&total_watts=50

Vega, may I ask you to run the Street Fighter IV Benchmark at 1920x1080 without AA, please? I'm curious to see just how much further you've gone over a normal gtx580 SLI. :D
Also, if possible, could you do it twice, once without AA (with every option on minimum) and once with AA maxed out, so we can see if you're still cpu-limited with the cpu at >5ghz? :D

Last edited:
Nice work there. Back when I used to experiment with my custom water chiller I had some impressive results...but then again I never tried to chill 4 video cards like that. That is simply awesome.

So Vega, it seems that your done with your loop and cooling and fine tuning the cards etc.. Any chance for some videos in home of you showing the cooling at work along with the pc and loop in action. Even explaining how everything is working in your own voice. Also some more game videos woudln't hurt, I'd like to see Metro 2033 videos at max settings.

Also don't worry if you sound like alvin from alvin and the chipmunks, that's what I picture your voice to sound like. LOL :D

Vega, did you try TW2 on your new 120hz config? Are you able to play with Ubersampling? :D

I am eagerly anticipating your next update Vega.This has been very exciting to follow.

Do you have any new videos or results planned?

Slight Necro post.

Slight communication post.

Apart from the cryptic nature of you post. I bet it must be necessary for you to point this out and that it makes you feel a little bigger inside. Useless post mannyman.

Last edited:
Sorry guys not much of an update as I will be deploying so I parted out a lot of the components. I still have a lot of the cooling devices for when I get back to start up monster machine #2 with the next generation of equipment.

Thanks for this wonderful thread and good luck on your deployment! See you on the otherside.:)

Slight communication post.

Apart from the cryptic nature of you post. I bet it must be necessary for you to point this out and that it makes you feel a little bigger inside. Useless post mannyman.

Its called Visitor messages? If you wanted to chommunicate with him. It didn't make me feel bigger "inside'"? Your post was the useless one because you posted in a thread that was dead for over two months.

Did i even insult you in my post?' I don't see where your need to insult me comes from i just pointed out this thread was dead and that your post moved it to the front before live threads.

Let's put differences aside for now and all wish Vega a safe return from his deployment.

Indeed sir, I didn't know he was a member of the forces, I have a few friends that are in the forces and i wish everyone a safe time over there and that they make it home safely i respect what you are doing and thank you!

be safe vega and return home in one piece and thank you for serving.

you had one of the baddest systems on this forum

kudos

Back