Vega Rumors

When AMD does large changes, like with the 7970/7950, R9 290x/R9 290, the drivers take the timeline I outlined above to mature (generally). 285 and Fury X aren't really all that new in terms of architecture outside of the memory compression improvement and some geometry engine improvements.

My old Radeon 8500LE was the worst as far as drivers. They wouldn't even install correctly. I remember that I had to a bit of searching just to find out that I'd have to extract the package using PowerArchiver and then install from the command line with various switches. There were other goofy issues but ATI eventually fixed most of them IIRC. It somewhat soured me on ATI/AMD hardware but luckily the last few cards of theirs that I've owned have been just fine.

Don't forget about the alpha quality drivers that one has to deal with with any AMD release that is actually new at all, that anyone that bought a 7970, 7950, R9 290x, or R9 290 closer to launch knows all about.

AMD cards (that are actually new) don't generally have even beta quality drivers until at least 1 year after release.

@ Archea, it took about 1.5 years after launch before Chrome didn't crash when you forced GPU acceleration to on (Chrome literally has an internal "compatability list" and puts almost all AMD cards on it where it turns off GPU acceleration completely automatically).
Took 2+ years before Chrome didn't bug out when you forced GPU acceleration.

Thinking that Chrome would work properly with an AMD card that is barely 6 months old by the most conservative estimate is amusing.

My release day RX480 has basically been perfect for what that's worth, as was my 5850 before it.
If we are going to troll then Chrome is garbage spyware that needs to DIAF

Now that Vega is in stock everywhere at MSRP, are people going to reevaluate their positions?

I've said from the beginning that Vega was a decent offering (if a little late) and the real issue was the price gouging. With that over can we all agree that Vega is not that bad?
i am frankly very happy with my vega 64, been running it quietly for a week now. i did have some initial problems but i found all I had to do was get windows the fall creators update after that, i have had less crashes and better startup speeds. i do get quite alot of visual artifacts in wolfenstein but i'm pretty sure that's going to get fixed. considering i got the limited edition for less than some 1080s and coming from a 970, its a huge improvment

Sandbag all you want, reality is reality.

Driver Bug Workarounds
  • clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
  • decode_encode_srgb_for_generatemipmap
  • disable_discard_framebuffer
  • disable_dxgi_zero_copy_video
  • disable_framebuffer_cmaa
  • exit_on_context_lost
  • force_cube_complete
  • scalarize_vec_and_mat_constructor_args
  • texsubimage_faster_than_teximage
Problems Detected
  • 124764, 349137
    Applied Workarounds: clear_uniforms_before_first_program_use
    Applied Workarounds: scalarize_vec_and_mat_constructor_args
    Applied Workarounds: force_cube_complete
    Applied Workarounds: disable_discard_framebuffer
    Applied Workarounds: disable_framebuffer_cmaa
    Applied Workarounds: disable(GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced), disable(GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced_coherent)
    Applied Workarounds: decode_encode_srgb_for_generatemipmap
    Applied Workarounds: disable_dxgi_zero_copy_video
  • Native GpuMemoryBuffers have been disabled, either via about:flags or command line.
    Disabled Features: native_gpu_memory_buffers
  • Checker-imaging has been disabled via finch trial or the command line.
    Disabled Features: checker_imaging

Neither the 5850 nor the RX480 were new architectures in any significant way when they released.

The problems with Chrome were the exact same ones that AMD had/has with Firefox as the problems lied squarely with their drivers.

The list above are the current Chrome hard-coded workarounds for AMD driver bugs that are what are required for AMD GPU acceleration to work without crashing and/or bugging out currently for my R9 290.

Learn about what you are talking about before you make a fool of yourself.

Talking to AMD fanatics is actually worse than talking to Apple Fanatics, as at least Apple fanatics know that they don't know very much.

And newsflash, most computer related things (especially web related) are "spyware that needs to DIAF"

And just FYI, that Driver Bug Workaround list was much, much longer before, as many of them were removed when AMD fixed each various error eventually. The taking of the workaround off the list wasn't perfectly smooth either, as sometimes they took away the workaround and a few drivers later AMD broke that feature again.

No your just not using your head, I used chrome and firefox without issue, you dont even need hardware acceleration. Chrome is a huge resource hog and causes more problems due to that then anything. Your as full of crap as the other trolls around here, I can show you known issues with drivers for most any program, doesn't mean they are important. How about that Nvidia driver that got released that actually fried their cards, seems like a bigger issue then browser hardware acceleration. Best part is I have actually owned the card and used it and you never have and my actual experience trumps your hate. Not a piece of hardware ever made that didnt have some issue with a program or driver at some point.

AMD driver 17.11.1 Fixed and Known Issue log.

Let's take a realistic look at the fixed and known issues. This is 2.5 months after launch.
I'm going to highlight in yellow the lines I subjectively think should never have been exposed to the light of day on a production product from a worldwide player like AMD, or at least certainty shouldn't be present after 2.5 months of a product launch. (in truth - - - following 9+ months of delays where the driver team should have been able to have time to remedy these issues)

Fixed Issues
  • Radeon Software may intermittently cause an application crash on limited numbers of DirectX®11 or OpenGL applications on their first run.
  • Some gaming or productivity applications may experience a random hang or application crash when performing task switching.
  • Radeon WattMan reset and restore factory default options may not reset graphics or memory clocks.
  • Oculus™ Dash may experience a random application hang.
  • Bezel compensation in mixed mode Eyefinity cannot be applied.
  • Radeon Settings may experience overlapping text or corruption in the Multi GPU profiles page.
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon®: Wildlands may experience minor corruption with Anisotropic Filtering (AF) enabled.
  • Middle-earth™: Shadow of War™ may experience ghosting or distortion in gameplay on Multi GPU enabled system configurations.
  • AMD XConnect™ Technology products may not be detected/enabled on reconnection if previously disconnected during system sleep
  • A limited number of system devices such as printers may be removed during Radeon Software uninstallation.

Known Issues

• Some desktop productivity apps may experience latency when dragging or moving windows.
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six® Siege may experience an application hang when breaching walls with grenades or explosives.
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider™ may experience an intermittent application hang during gameplay.
  • A random system hang may be experienced after extended periods of use on system configurations using 12 GPU’s for compute workloads.
  • The GPU Workload feature may cause a system hang when switching to Compute while AMD CrossFire is enabled. A workaround is to disable AMD CrossFire before switching the toggle to Compute workloads.
  • Resizing the Radeon Settings window may cause the user interface to stutter or exhibit corruption temporarily.
  • Unstable Radeon WattMan profiles may not be restored to default after a system hang.
  • OverWatch™ may experience a random or intermittent hang on some system configurations. Disabling Radeon ReLive as a temporary workaround may resolve the issue.

An interesting intellectual experiment would be to go back and do this little review for each of the driver updates for Vega since the beginning. If I had more time today - I'd do so. The items I've highlighted - AMD has no one to blame but themselves --- they are the only ones in control of the problem.

And this current listing of known problems isn't even a complete list of known issues, which should include many other negative experiences reported in the owners thread that don't yet appear on this list - for instance there is no mention that FreeSync doesn't work if you have more than one monitor connected - yet multiple owners in the Vega Owners thread have reported this issue. OpenGL performance is poor as a rule.
PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds is ridiculously unstable with Vega, and will crash 75% of the time and performance is all over the map from 8FPS to 90FPS - driving a vehicle often drops the performance to 8FPS - even after AMD claimed to have fixed the issues in a previous driver release --- so the game is no longer on the known issues -- but I'll tell you for absolute sure the game still runs like garbage (and crashes constantly) on Vega.
Crossfire being enabled dropped FPS to 10FPS on the Battlefront II beta, and then the countless application bugs, hangs, system reboots that would be hard to categorize on a succinct list because their cause is unknown.

ALL, not most, ALL of these issues completely disappeared when I went back to a 1080TI. I literally would have my PC crash, reboot, lockup, hang, act unresponsive, or buggy 3+ times a day I'd guess with my Vega cards. I started to suspect I had some failing components (RAM, CPU, Power Supply?), until I put the 1080TI pair back in, and all my problems disappeared, and my PC has stayed problem free since going back to Nvidia.
There are extenuating circumstances I realize -- I use three Free Sync monitors, and my game list that I and my friends are actively playing won't necessarily match the next guys game list, I crypto mine, and not everyone does - so yes -- your mileage may vary.

The guys who seem to be having the most success with Vega are the simplest of setups = single monitor, single GPU.

Last edited:
AMD driver 17.11.1 Fixed and Known Issue log.

Let's take a realistic look at the fixed and known issues. This is 2.5 months after launch.
I'm going to highlight in yellow the lines I subjectively think should never have been exposed to the light of day on a production product from a worldwide player like AMD, or at least certainty shouldn't be present after 2.5 months of a product launch. (in truth - - - following 9+ months of delays where the driver team should have been able to have time to remedy these issues)
You cant draw too much from the list of resolved and known issues without knowing the statistics. Some issues might happen frequently and others issues might only happen on leap day.

Neither the 5850 nor the RX480 were new architectures in any significant way when they released.

The problems with Chrome were the exact same ones that AMD had/has with Firefox as the problems lied squarely with their drivers.

The list above are the current Chrome hard-coded workarounds for AMD driver bugs that are what are required for AMD GPU acceleration to work without crashing and/or bugging out currently for my R9 290.

Learn about what you are talking about before you make a fool of yourself.

Talking to AMD fanatics is actually worse than talking to Apple Fanatics, as at least Apple fanatics know that they don't know very much.

And newsflash, most computer related things (especially web related) are "spyware that needs to DIAF"

And just FYI, that Driver Bug Workaround list was much, much longer before, as many of them were removed when AMD fixed each various error eventually. The taking of the workaround off the list wasn't perfectly smooth either, as sometimes they took away the workaround and a few drivers later AMD broke that feature again.

Vega is so close to Fiji and Polaris that you cant really call it a new architecture either by that definition.

I deal with Chrome in an enterprise setting so I have earned the right to trash talk it.

As for all the flaming maybe dial it down a notch?

Vega is so close to Fiji and Polaris that you cant really call it a new architecture either by that definition.

I deal with Chrome in an enterprise setting so I have earned the right to trash talk it.

As for all the flaming maybe dial it down a notch?

I haven't had a single chrome issue with nV drivers since 2016... and the last one was when I had two or three OGL applications going at once and opening up chrome. So must likely its issues with AMD OpenGl drivers which as we all know AMD never was able to put enough resources into them. (excluding the new issues with Vega, or reappearing issues). So end result is AMD needs to put more $, time, resources into their driver dev than they have been or people with AMD graphics cards just have to wait longer till the problems get resolved.

Vega's current condition probably deserves a corporate head rolling. Can't say I'm surprised -- even if some of the circumstances were beyond Raja's control.

"Raja falls on sword"

Well raja was there for 4 years. He really overhyped things. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a great engineer but a bad Boss. It feels like they created an architecture that was really tough on driver Team. I mean you couldn’t even overclock the damn thing through control panel. I do believe drivers are still unstable. I tried a Vega 56 and control panel still crashes and resets clocks. I do think they are releasing driver updates like no tomorrow. It was truly a cluster fuck of a launch under his leadership.

Well raja was there for 4 years. He really overhyped things. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a great engineer but a bad Boss. It feels like they created an architecture that was really tough on driver Team. I mean you couldn’t even overclock the damn thing through control panel. I do believe drivers are still unstable. I tried a Vega 56 and control panel still crashes and resets clocks. I do think they are releasing driver updates like no tomorrow. It was truly a cluster fuck of a launch under his leadership.

Vega is still GCN, GCN wasn't something he made...... Can't do much when you are using 4 generation old architecture. They needed a new architecture when Fiji was released lol, and they fast tracked Vega and dropped higher end Polaris..... All of these GPU's were planned for years in advance.

Didn't matter if Raja was at the lead or not, same things would have came out.

It doesn't matter when you are tied down with minimal R&D and MUST reuse the same architecture for more than 5 years. 5 years was the life span of AMD/ATi's generations before GCN (nV's was 3 years, 2 generations). GCN is going to go on for almost 7 years! Too much for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if RTG is going to go bye bye now too. Lisa Su is not going to be able to find anyone with Raja's experience in high end GPU development quickly.

Last edited:

To be fair for Raja, even if he isn't helming RTG, someone else will be over hype things. Most if not all companies will hype their products even if it doesn't compete well to its competitor, Intel did it and Nvidia did it when they had the inferior product. It also doesn't help AMD have to choose between CPU and GPU to see which gets the bulk of the R&D and CPU win out since AMD is first and foremost a CPU company. Raja while helming RTG is probably between a rock and hard place for most of the time there.

Vega is still GCN, GCN wasn't something he made...... Can't do much when you are using 4 generation old architecture. They needed a new architecture when Fiji was released lol, and they fast tracked Vega and dropped higher end Polaris..... All of these GPU's were planned for years in advance.

Didn't matter if Raja was at the lead or not, same things would have came out.

It doesn't matter when you are tied down with minimal R&D and MUST reuse the same architecture for more than 5 years. 5 years was the life span of AMD/ATi's generations before GCN (nV's was 3 years, 2 generations). GCN is going to go on for almost 7 years! Too much for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if RTG is going to go bye bye now too. Lisa Su is not going to be able to find anyone with Raja's experience in high end GPU development quickly.

Doesn't matter man. He had 4 years. I don't think he got fired for performance. I am not making anymore excuses for Raja. You take the lead you don't fuck up as bad as he did. Its not all about performance, its about execution. He failed in leadership, I highly doubt it was just about the product. You can't just excuse him from everything. He didn't know how to set up expectations, he over promised and under delivered. He didn't have to do that. Yes he probably would do great if had the budget but he just didn't know how to keep his mouth shut when he needed to.

I think Vega drivers were such a giant fuck up that it was a let down. Trust me I have vega 56 in my system now since i got freesync. Control panel fucking crashes on me still. That simply should not happen. Their drivers for vega are still work in progress it seems. Not thats not always but damn annoying wattman resetting all settings upon restart. LOL

No doubt he is a great man. Absolutely no doubt about that and a great engineer. But I don't think he is cut out for leadership material.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter man. He had 4 years. I don't think he got fired for performance. I am not making anymore excuses for Raja. You take the lead you don't fuck up as bad as he did. Its not all about performance, its about execution. He failed in leadership, I highly doubt it was just about the product. You can't just excuse him from everything. He didn't know how to set up expectations, he over promised and under delivered. He didn't have to do that. Yes he probably would do great if had the budget but he just didn't know how to keep his mouth shut when he needed to.

I think Vega drivers were such a giant fuck up that it was a let down. Trust me I have vega 56 in my system now since i got freesync. Control panel fucking crashes on me still. That simply should not happen. Their drivers for vega are still work in progress it seems. Not thats not always but damn annoying wattman resetting all settings upon restart. LOL

No doubt he is a great man. Absolutely no doubt about that and a great engineer. But I don't think he is cut out for leadership material.

This sounds about right to me...especially since I don't know the man or AMD internals.

Raja, AMD, hardware, software: I've got a freesync setup (see sig) with an R9 390 driving it as an interim measure...for two years now. (Hey, it's a great card for my 2560x1440 Asus MG279Q Freesync.) This is minor...but points to a basic oversight by AMD and their control panel. I updated my drivers from 17.1.1 to 17.11.2. I used the AMD autoscan and autoinstall. It failed. Okay, that happens. I then had to use the AMD Cleaning utility. It worked. Then, I was able to successfully load the 17.11.2 drivers. Sometimes you need to do that. Good enough. (I had DDU ready and waiting. ;) )

The issue? The dozens of gaming profiles I had individually crafted in the AMD control panel cannot be saved. There is no export function. There is no "before cleaning, do you want to save application settings?". There is no easily accessible file/folder with the settings. There are many questions about this on the AMD support forums, but no answers. The control panel does not have a "update from a location". The control panel does not include a "delete all drivers".

This is basic.

Nvidia allows all the above. Uninstalling an Nvidia driver (which is simple), opens up an options window to allow you to save your profiles.

I'm an AMD fan. I try to keep a 50% balance between AMD and Nvidia.

C'mon, guys.

This sounds about right to me...especially since I don't know the man or AMD internals.

Raja, AMD, hardware, software: I've got a freesync setup (see sig) with an R9 390 driving it as an interim measure...for two years now. (Hey, it's a great card for my 2560x1440 Asus MG279Q Freesync.) This is minor...but points to a basic oversight by AMD and their control panel. I updated my drivers from 17.1.1 to 17.11.2. I used the AMD autoscan and autoinstall. It failed. Okay, that happens. I then had to use the AMD Cleaning utility. It worked. Then, I was able to successfully load the 17.11.2 drivers. Sometimes you need to do that. Good enough. (I had DDU ready and waiting. ;) )

The issue? The dozens of gaming profiles I had individually crafted in the AMD control panel cannot be saved. There is no export function. There is no "before cleaning, do you want to save application settings?". There is no easily accessible file/folder with the settings. There are many questions about this on the AMD support forums, but no answers. The control panel does not have a "update from a location". The control panel does not include a "delete all drivers".

This is basic.

Nvidia allows all the above. Uninstalling an Nvidia driver (which is simple), opens up an options window to allow you to save your profiles.

I'm an AMD fan. I try to keep a 50% balance between AMD and Nvidia.

C'mon, guys.

Yep. I think drivers itself have been decent other than growing pains with vega but the unnecessary features they waste time on is stupid. For instance wattman is horrible, always resets clocks for me. You can’t save a damn profile so you can quickly restore custom settings. Have to go do everything again.

I really have an idea for AMD. Stop doing dumb shit and actually focus on the what matters. Get rid of chill bullshit cuz I highly doubt they use it and wattman and let third party apps handle over clocks. Put that time and effort in to freesync and game optimization’s and improving the control panel and allow saving profiles. Oh and please allow for user to turn off the fuckin transparency in control panel. Atleast give them an option. I tell you the transparent control panel is damn annoying to me.

Yep. I think drivers itself have been decent other than growing pains with vega but the unnecessary features they waste time on is stupid. For instance wattman is horrible, always resets clocks for me. You can’t save a damn profile so you can quickly restore custom settings. Have to go do everything again.

I really have an idea for AMD. Stop doing dumb shit and actually focus on the what matters. Get rid of chill bullshit cuz I highly doubt they use it and wattman and let third party apps handle over clocks. Put that time and effort in to freesync and game optimization’s and improving the control panel and allow saving profiles. Oh and please allow for user to turn off the fuckin transparency in control panel. Atleast give them an option. I tell you the transparent control panel is damn annoying to me.

The Chill feature seems to run regardless on Vega 64. I have never enabled it and when I play Grim Dawn the card automatically down clocks to 1/2 or even lower depending on situation. As long as VSYNC is enabled and I meet my 60Hz setting in the game's options, the card never goes above 1200 on the core and the frame rate never dips below 59. I'm using the factory "Turbo" setting.

So I think that Chill or whatever the card is doing while actually playing games is fine; they just need to hire more driver engineers to get more raw performance out of the cards.

As far as Wattman resetting, as much as I HATE when it does that; I think it is a great feature also. You have no idea how many times I wish that MSI Afterburner would reset after I got a little happy with my clocks on my previous cards from Nvidia and AMD. It is so annoying to try for a successful Windows load, but MSI Afterburrner remembers my settings and I crash and burn over and over again. Then I'm booting into SAFE mode trying to fix it. Worse is when Windows asks to repair and won't let you continue without repairing. Wattman resetting is a godsend in that regards.

What makes Wattman freaking ANNOYING is that you can't save a profile like Ryzen Master does for AMD CPUs. For those without a reference due to a lack of owning AMD gear, Ryzen Master has multiple profile setting slots that you can save. It also resets when it detects bad settings and loading issues, but it remembers what you saved in profiles! So you can go right back to Profile 1, lower the voltage to the memory and try again for example without having to input all the other settings again. Wattman conversely erases every setting and resets everything to stock when it detects an issue as it doesn't have the ability to save multiple global profiles. That's the main difference in the two OC programs that needs to be addressed. Theoretically I guess you could make a Wattman profile for every game. Who is really going to make a new profile for every game in Wattman? I just like to make a global profile that works everywhere. In the end it comes off as clunky because an engineer doesn't think like an overclocker would.

If someone knows how to make 5 global profiles in Wattman that aren't erased when there is an issue feel free to elaborate!

The Chill feature seems to run regardless on Vega 64. I have never enabled it and when I play Grim Dawn the card automatically down clocks to 1/2 or even lower depending on situation. As long as VSYNC is enabled and I meet my 60Hz setting in the game's options, the card never goes above 1200 on the core and the frame rate never dips below 59. I'm using the factory "Turbo" setting.

So I think that Chill or whatever the card is doing while actually playing games is fine; they just need to hire more driver engineers to get more raw performance out of the cards.

As far as Wattman resetting, as much as I HATE when it does that; I think it is a great feature also. You have no idea how many times I wish that MSI Afterburner would reset after I got a little happy with my clocks on my previous cards from Nvidia and AMD. It is so annoying to try for a successful Windows load, but MSI Afterburrner remembers my settings and I crash and burn over and over again. Then I'm booting into SAFE mode trying to fix it. Worse is when Windows asks to repair and won't let you continue without repairing. Wattman resetting is a godsend in that regards.

What makes Wattman freaking ANNOYING is that you can't save a profile like Ryzen Master does for AMD CPUs. For those without a reference due to a lack of owning AMD gear, Ryzen Master has multiple profile setting slots that you can save. It also resets when it detects bad settings and loading issues, but it remembers what you saved in profiles! So you can go right back to Profile 1, lower the voltage to the memory and try again for example without having to input all the other settings again. Wattman conversely erases every setting and resets everything to stock when it detects an issue as it doesn't have the ability to save multiple global profiles. That's the main difference in the two OC programs that needs to be addressed. Theoretically I guess you could make a Wattman profile for every game. Who is really going to make a new profile for every game in Wattman? I just like to make a global profile that works everywhere. In the end it comes off as clunky because an engineer doesn't think like an overclocker would.

If someone knows how to make 5 global profiles in Wattman that aren't erased when there is an issue feel free to elaborate!

I HATE the downclocking it does, its super noticeable for me in bf1 and tf2 multiplayer.

Ever since I've locked powerstates it's been so much smoother.

I HATE the downclocking it does, its super noticeable for me in bf1 and tf2 multiplayer.

It does it on mine when I enable VSYNC. Speeds jump all over the place as we all know. ;) I'm hoping for a FreeSync 2 monitor or TV that is at least 43" and doesn't cost a million bucks like the 49" Samsung.

Yep. I agree about the profile saving feature. I don't mind it resetting, but my stuff is actually stable but when I restart it loses settings, and its frickin annoying as hell to go back and redo everything. Need me some profile, if I only had that I wouldn't be so frustrated with it lol.

Yep. I agree about the profile saving feature. I don't mind it resetting, but my stuff is actually stable but when I restart it loses settings, and its frickin annoying as hell to go back and redo everything. Need me some profile, if I only had that I wouldn't be so frustrated with it lol.

Hmm. Maybe if you made a profile for some game that you never played and saved it. Then used those settings in the Global settings; would it save the individual game settings in the event of a crash?

Hmm. Maybe if you made a profile for some game that you never played and saved it. Then used those settings in the Global settings; would it save the individual game settings in the event of a crash?

I dont know about that. But I am mainly talking about the overclock settings. Just saving the defined parameters for custom overclock and having those saved so I can quickly reapply when I boot up my computer. I do see what you mean though there is wattman profile you can set for each game. But that seems too time consuming for me lol.

Last edited:
WattMan is actually really cool. I like that it's in the driver interface. They just need to fix it. It resets all the time for me, even with working settings (i.e. just adjusting fan speeds, which should be 100% safe).

jW1BGVW.jpg

vxfRTGT.jpg

dZ3wpcH.jpg

MkBqx1D.jpg

Z5ioWmv.jpg

3x 8pin power connectors for a single card is just ridiculous. I wonder if the benchmarks will be interesting or if it will be more of the same.

3x 8pin power connectors for a single card is just ridiculous. I wonder if the benchmarks will be interesting or if it will be more of the same.

When I had a PowerColor Devil 13 R9 390x2, that card used 4x8pin connectors :p
I used a Corsair AX1200i to power that bad boy 2 years ago.

Back