why in holy hell are you guys stuck on the games? Let me tell you how mine panned out and then maybe you can shut the hell up about it.
I bought the WC Vega64 pack. It had the card @699.99, 2 games @129.99 and a 21:9 Samsung 34" ultra-wide monitor @949.99 (actually a little less there was a sale that took of $13 or so). At checkout the games price stayed however that price was DEDUCTED from the GPU, and the monitor was $200 less.
SO I FN GOT THE GAMES FOR FREE. Now we can argue semantics, ie: The card being $100 more, but it doesn't change the rationale behind the intent. It was setup to ensure that I as a gamer would have access to purchasing the card. LO AND BEHOLD... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. So you just want the card... Tough cookies, fight the miners for them. AMD wasn't guaranteeing individual card prices, only the packs. The packs aren't only incentives to consumers like me but outlets like newegg which now have guaranteed larger tickets sales as well as Samsung selling a higher profit monitor (I am sure). Bethesda I am sure appreciates the sales too.
I would wager the packs do in fact cost more, the gpu price I mean, as they have requirements for selling. This IS QUITE TYPICAL in retail. I would also wager AMD is limiting sales accordingly to ensure pack in-stock availability. Again this is typical and not some conspiracy as some of you tinfoil hat wearing basement dwelling.... Sorry just watching ignorant banter for days on end has set my tolerance a bit low.
Problem is which mission was accomplished, cause miners aren't that interested in this card, none of the people that I have been talking to that have over 10 rigs each and some many more than 10 rigs, have no interest in Vega.
$100 bucks increase for the packs won't deter a person looking at the bottom line, 100 bucks bottom line is 1.5 months in mining, currently even with Eth, @ 35mhs @ 250 watts 2.37 bucks a day inclusive of power. That is 71.10 a month, to cover the cost of the card will take just over 7 months. Currently Eth is estimated to go to POS in Feb. so since Launch day till then is 7 months, No profits man. This doesn't interest miners for that reason. Now if it could mine other alt coins decently then ok it will be interesting to miners, but there are no OpenCL miners that can match the CUDA miners right now in those other alt coins. Zcash would be AMD card holders next best coin to mine but a 580 mines at the same rate as a 1060 while using 30% more power, it uses more power than a 1070 while the 1070 gets 30% more hashrates.
AMD would have know all this, I know it cause I plugged in all the values in a calculator (I didn't do the extrapolation of the difficult levels but that would skew that 7 months over to around 10 months). Also I'm assuming while undervolting the card will only consume 250 watts, that is a pretty big assumption it might be closer to 300 watts. That too will have a negative affect on profits adding to around 11 months, both of those together at worst case will end up 1.5 years. If 6 months is the cut off time to have return on investment and 6 month of profitability, then we are way passed that point, miners will make a loss without the potential of speculation on price.
If you consider this ignorant, there is a reason why AMD bundled their products, to make them look like they are giving a bargain, while they themselves are not. All the assumptions I have made are negative to what can possible be there, and removed them, even with that its not a profitable mining card! Anyone that does mining seriously will know this, hence you had a couple pre order idiots that posted they got fooled by the "leak" hashrate, ya know they returned their cards.
There is no reason for the packs to make these cards unattractive for miners. They are unattractive as is.
Its all BS, man, we saw it with the r290, if miners are buying up all the cards AMD can produce, in normal circumstances, AMD's markeshare will grow. If they have a certain amount of marketshare last quarter and the quarter from the year prior, they will use those numbers and try to figure out how many cards to make and with inventory to cover any changes, if demand increases, right? Well that means marketshare can only go up for AMD if miners were buying all those r290's. That didn't' happen then. And most likely it sure won't happen now. They have already used that excuse in the past. And that was for a card that was good for mining. With the above showing Vega is no where near that attractive. Really they are going to blame miners again?
Its them either having a supply issue or creating the supply issue for any of two reasons. One it sell the card at a higher rate by the addition of packs or the second, they want to make sure its a limited product because of the cost of the product to begin with.
Last edited: