Vega Rumors

Moving the goalposts to V100 now?

Considering features, it is obsolete once Vega releases. That binding model will be a real PITA for Pascal and any further use if async will only make the situation worse.

I'm expecting a few titles patched with FP16 in shirt order, but really need the new shader model to release for that. Then PC has the full console feature set. Seems all games will be using primitive shaders on Vega, just without the heavily modified paths. Per game optimizations would be possible on existing titles.

Latest Linux drivers have even Fiji ahead of 1080 and actually beating 1080ti in one test. Civ6 eats CPU though. Still a lot of work there, but AMD did create a new unified driver stack for supporting multiple operating systems so it's taking a while. More than just Win, Linux, and MacOS.

Probably mining, but considering Fiji performance with latest git Vega may very well be ahead in gaming on several titles.

May be a way to encourage bundles and make more off mining. MSRP could increase, but won't necessarily apply to bundle prices or rebates if they go that route.

dude your last statement says it all.....;) miners.................

can I give something, and you can tell RYS this too..... AMD IS FUCKED with Vega. Yeah tell em this and tell him and his new masters shouldn't do a sonata to Vega.

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to present to you the most sublime and hilariously apt summary of the Vega release so far.

This is in response to the Threadripper +1080Ti tweets and the NV and AMD exchange

Screen_Shot_2017-08-11_at_09.59.11-1.png

It's Kyle's old friend, Roy shillwood

[H] own review shows FE barely maintain anything over 1700 .. nevermind 1800/2Ghz
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/05/17/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_founders_edition_review/5

"The clock speed seems to average out to around 1770MHz (1.77GHz) according to the table. If you look at the graph the frequency likes to hover between 1760MHz-1785MHz most of the time. The good news is that this is mostly all above the quoted GPU Boost clock of 1734MHz. It is at least 30MHz higher, and sometimes more. However, you will note that there are many times the clock speed does dip below 1734MHz."

You also need to consider that it is highly likely RX Vega will also throttle or hit power limits without tweaks that can be deemed overclocking (such as carefully setting a specific undevolt that works for that specific card combined with power target), without said changes it will probably behave like the Frontier Edition.

Cheers

Last edited:
Gamer Nexus states that

Maybe the FE reviews were a factor, but we'll have to see if PCPer and Tom's Hardware also didn't get sampled with RX Vega either.

can tell ya one thing, Vega reviews are going to show no difference, GN out of either of the other two. showed their disappointment a bit more than the other. Well shit happens. Doesn't really matter at then when ya start showing off a year before you product comes out, ya got a pile of shit in your hands, period. Now your hands also smell, so why keep holding on to it? And then have your employees like RYS talk about it? You have forum owners now employees of some of the biggest tech websites, HEXUS and B3D, banning people, and talking up products, they are CRAP, you know what RTG is about now.

You can't be doing this shit period! This is cencership and being worse then Intel in any way or form.

If social media is your forum. And go to Linus to show your your products..... You are fucked. Linus isn't going to get in the middle of your fucked up product and tell you the truth. He won't do it. He won't his 1 million subs to speak for him. What the fuck is he going to do? Kill his base to make you happy? No idiot will do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry drinking a bit after Thursday company outings

Edit Gaming wise.......

Last edited:
Quite the contrary. Intel has enormous bearing on NV since most of the those "green" PCIe slots are on Intel boards. Intel also chased NV out of the chipset market years ago so there may be a grudge there too

nVidia chased itself out of the chipset market. I avoided nForce boards like the plague they were...

Radeon RX Vega 56
Unboxing embargo: August 12, 11AM EDT,
Performance embargo: August 14, 9AM EDT
Launch: August 28th.

Radeon RX Vega 64
Unboxing embargo: August 12, 11AM EDT.
Performance embargo: August 14, 9AM EDT.
Launch: August 14th.

cYMaEAm.png

Radeon RX Vega 56

Radeon RX Vega 64

cYMaEAm.png

Where has that been taken from?

Radeon RX Vega 56

Radeon RX Vega 64

cYMaEAm.png

That chart seems to perhaps have the Vega 64 a bit low in light of this mornings discovery of a Firestrike score of ~24,000 which should be a fair bit ahead of what an OC on a 1080 FE can achieve, as far as I know.

"As we are not being sampled for RX Vega and aren’t in official communications regarding the product, we’re able to provide up-to-date news without concern of embargo breach."

- Gamers Nexus

Anyone remembers what I said?

July 1, 2017

I mean, not to re-hash what r/AMD was talking about in a few comments, but they knowingly violated their NDA (with low level info like thermal paste, whatever) because they saw someone else's content out there... without contacting AMD?

That's just dumb?

This is also after they included video of their conversation with an AMD rep directly on their review of Ryzen (I believe it was) which is a cringey non-professional way of doing things.

I really like their in-depth stuff they do, and I think they were fair with the Vega FE review.... but this was them just having a small tantrum.

An OC'ed 1080 Founders Edition can reach that score? I'd been under the impression that 1080 FE's weren't that good at overclocking.

You would be correct. Most good overclocked 1080 cards are not a FE as most of them struggle to maintain 1900 clocks. However my Zotac 1080 AMP can reach 2100 and is likely what Hameeedo is trying to say. But to be honest comparing overclocked cards is kind of silly as you never know if you can hit that overclock or not, just gives you an idea of what is maybe possible.

You would be correct. Most good overclocked 1080 cards are not a FE as most of them struggle to maintain 1900 clocks. However my Zotac 1080 AMP can reach 2100 and is likely what Hameeedo is trying to say. But to be honest comparing overclocked cards is kind of silly as you never know if you can hit that overclock or not, just gives you an idea of what is maybe possible.
Right, but the only reason I mentioned it is because the chart has a 1080 FE listed, not an AIB version. Also, probably the tastier morsel in that chart is that they have an OC'ed Vega 56 above a stock Vega 64, which would make Vega 56 a pretty good value, if true.

I mean, not to re-hash what r/AMD was talking about in a few comments, but they knowingly violated their NDA (with low level info like thermal paste, whatever) because they saw someone else's content out there... without contacting AMD?

That's just dumb?

This is also after they included video of their conversation with an AMD rep directly on their review of Ryzen (I believe it was) which is a cringey non-professional way of doing things.

I really like their in-depth stuff they do, and I think they were fair with the Vega FE review.... but this was them just having a small tantrum.
Their complain was AMD favored some outlets to release more coverage earlier then others. That is a foul play on AMD and defeats the point of embargoes.

I can hit 2050 on my FE and usually keep a solid 2038 with no problems.

Their complain was AMD favored some outlets to release more coverage earlier then others. That is a foul play on AMD and defeats the point of embargoes.

Yeah, but use your words and talk to them first? Probably could have gotten permission but they didn't even try by their own admission.

And violated their NDA?

That's smart.
I don't think you understand the point of embargoes. They are meant to level the playing field for media outlets. The moment AMD started to show favoritism towards some media outlets they demonstrated they where not interested in professionalism. The best strategy for any media outlet not wanting their coverage overlooked would be to break the NDA at that point.

I don't think you understand the point of embargoes. They are meant to level the playing field for media outlets. The moment AMD started to show favoritism towards some media outlets they demonstrated they where not interested in professionalism. The best strategy for any media outlet not wanting their coverage overlooked would be to break the NDA at that point.

I understand that, but air your grievances directly to the company first at least.

They signed a contract. Period.

They have no idea what other contracts other people signed. While unfair, and not a good move by AMD, that doesn't null and void the signed NDA, and just further sours the relationship.

nVidia chased itself out of the chipset market. I avoided nForce boards like the plague they were...
There were a couple of good nforce chipsets, if I recall they had one of the better socket a chipsets, been a long time though, my memory my be off. 100 percent sure they made a couple good chipsets though. The sound was really good if I am not mistaken.

There were a couple of good nforce chipsets, if I recall they had one of the better socket a chipsets, been a long time though, my memory my be off. 100 percent sure they made a couple good chipsets though. The sound was really good if I am not mistaken.
Yeah, nForce2 was pretty solid for Socket A.

You're probably right that there were a couple of good boards. I just remember looking for a new AMD motherboard (I loved my Thunderbird chip and was planning an upgrade) with nForce at my local computer store and then seeing all the negative posts on them on various hardware forums. I wasn't interested in culling through all the horrible boards to find that gem or two...

This must be why AMD is suddenly pushing the 56 instead. At that price there is no reason to pick up a Vega 64 over a GTX 1080.

My guess is the rumor is true that they mine pretty good, so they are going to make as much as they can cause they will still sell if that rumor is true.

Tom's Hardware is definitely getting it because it's a big site.

PCPer is probably getting screwed over through.

Looks like PCPer received an RX Vega (you can see the box behind him) and there's currently benchmarking going on using an Nvidia card (on the far left you can see a Founders Edition in the motherboard).

3yumfkg.png

Source:

Looks like PCPer received an RX Vega (you can see the box behind him) and there's currently benchmarking going on using an Nvidia card (on the far left you can see a Founders Edition in the motherboard).

3yumfkg.png

Source:

That look when he realizes it's in the background in plain view lol.

k9qPn9S.jpg

all 1080 FE can hold over 1900 by just using a more aggressive fan curve.. adding extra core offset and power target to 120% those tend to go easily over 2.000mhz at about 65C stable.. in fact the [H] 1080 FE Sample did an average of 2060mhz and average 56C temp with vRAM at 11.1ghz BUT and the big but with the fan speed at 100%. so with a more moderate fan curve that top at 70% to keep noise down, 2ghz are still easily doable at acceptable temps on the 1080 FE.

all 1080 FE can hold over 1900 by just using a more aggressive fan curve.. adding extra core offset and power target to 120% those tend to go easily over 2.000mhz at about 65C stable.. in fact the [H] 1080 FE Sample did an average of 2060mhz and average 56C temp with vRAM at 11.1ghz BUT and the big but with the fan speed at 100%. so with a more moderate fan curve that top at 70% to keep noise down, 2ghz are still easily doable at acceptable temps on the 1080 FE.

Really was a good card just the +$100 was bullshit.

For 1080ti wattage and above I like AIOs, custom or a hefty air cooler. I still want my 3-4 slot blower heheh... someone make that. That would be my ideal... quiet, simple, hot air out of the case.

The prices seem to suggest that the mining performance rumors might be true. $600 for the air cooled one is pretty steep... but if it performs as well as the rumored 70-100 MH/s at mining, I'm sure they will still all sell out. If they priced it at $500 as was planned likely all that extra money would go to savings for resellers/miners and not profit for AMD or distributors like Frys.

Sucks for gamers though as there will be little competition for NVIDIA at the high end.

Really was a good card just the +$100 was bullshit.

For 1080ti wattage and above I like AIOs, custom or a hefty air cooler. I still want my 3-4 slot blower heheh... someone make that. That would be my ideal... quiet, simple, hot air out of the case.

absolutely yes to that, Im also one of those who want a 3 slot high quality Blower cooled GPU with a massive vapor chamber helped by couple of heatpipes..

Back