Using Open Source Software = Rookies Mistake

Well that's just it--"According to Disney..."

Since when have they ever been an authority in these matters? Oh right, since never (Pixar excluded).

Well that's just it--"According to Disney..."

Since when have they ever been an authority in these matters? Oh right, since never (Pixar excluded).

But they have had direct control / input into the brains of our children for decades :eek:

I think they have misused the term open source to refer to sketchy freeware.

oh noes!!!! a virus in the source code of OSS? fucking morons

I don't know I think that's a pretty minor "dig" at best. I'll bet you half of the Disney execs don't even understand the term "open source" :p

Almost no kid watching that show will even know what open source is, let alone how a virus actually works or what code on a computer does.

You aren't all actually taking this seriously? For instance, there isn't going to be a comment more than five sentences here I hope.

I don't think this is "according to Disney" as much as TV show writers using buzzwords to try and connect a non technical audience to something that they don't understand. Disney uses, and I believe contributes to, quite a few open source projects.

Disney has a rather significant chance to crawl into the minds of children. I'm not really sure why it's worth worrying about though since the target audience is tweens and such for those kinda shows. Maybe they slipped that in there on purpose to get nerds, who are an easily excited group, fired up so they could laugh about it. Disney is trolling you people and you're falling for it. It's also nice to see nerd kid stereotypes like wearing glasses and nice sweaters sticking around in modern culture.

Oh, and this is sentence number six in my post. :p

Technically speaking... is it even possible for a virus to be referred to as a "virus" if its in the source code of any program?

Worrying about stupid things like this affecting the minds of children is just about as stupid as people thinking video games are inciting violent behavior.

Maybe Disney corporation knows something about open source projects being sabotaged and this is their way of communicating it. It's all a big conspiracy related to Stuxnet. :rolleyes:

Watching and hearing that was... horrible... absolutely horrible. I can't unwatch that. Why did you show us this? The only thing that could have saved that scene would have been a chainsaw wielding zombie.

I know - it was just a kid show. Anyone ever watch an old B movie that you used to think was really good... until you saw it through an adult's eyes 20 years later?

Watching any Disney show on TV will make your brain rot. They are that bad.This isn't surprising.

We're all missing the more glaring mistake -- the two open source users weren't bright enough to find the "virus" in the first place, yet had the competence to remove the "infected" part of the open source code.

I'm a rookie for sure. However, the mirror for OpenOffice seems to be down. Rookie mistake here: anyone know of a second mirror?

I'm a rookie for sure. However, the mirror for OpenOffice seems to be down. Rookie mistake here: anyone know of a second mirror?

The mirror is on the wall. Ask it what it thinks is the best office suite of them all.

Hah, nothing to see here, move along. You're assuming intent over ineptitude and therefore giving them credit for some intellect.

I see your open source nerd rage and raise you a 'Motec system exhaust'

The mirror is on the wall. Ask it what it thinks is the best office suite of them all.

Microsoft Office. Just can't afford it at the moment. Google Doc's isn't available at work (cloud storage). I have Dropbox (that's allowed), and could save there. I wouldn't mind OpenOffice, as it works perfect for what I'm going to use it for.

I dont watch that show. I watch Victorious.

on mute...
shiftyeyes.gif

Worrying about stupid things like this affecting the minds of children is just about as stupid as people thinking video games are inciting violent behavior.

It's not just the kids but the parents watching with them who will pick up on the words they've heard before, most likely in a negative light as well. These parents are the same one who watch CSI, and actually believe photos have infinite resolution. I worked at a camera store before and people really are stupid enough to believe this shit. They would bring in tiny digital images and ask for poster sizes, or a 4x6 enlargement to 20 x 30, without the negatives.

The point is television is consumed by a much larger, and much more incompetent mass of persons, so the damage is easier to note. Also this is not a discussion about tv making people change emotionally, it is a channel to provide fiction, which if considered to be based in reality, may allow people to think that some of what they are seeing is true. Where almost all video games are so founded in fantasy it is harder to believe anything within them.

Microsoft Office. Just can't afford it at the moment. Google Doc's isn't available at work (cloud storage). I have Dropbox (that's allowed), and could save there. I wouldn't mind OpenOffice, as it works perfect for what I'm going to use it for.

Actually, I'm partial to the fork of OpenOffice that happened after Oracle bought Sun Microsystems and started to get sort of heavy-handed about open source projects. Look in on LibreOffice if you get a chance and don't mind being a bit adventerous.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

I've been pretty happy with it from a casual use perspective, but I admit that I don't wander outside of the word processor very often and, just like OpenOffice, there are some formatting quirks when a document ends up crossing suites into a Microsoft product.

Actually, I'm partial to the fork of OpenOffice that happened after Oracle bought Sun Microsystems and started to get sort of heavy-handed about open source projects. Look in on LibreOffice if you get a chance and don't mind being a bit adventerous.

http://www.libreoffice.org/

I've been pretty happy with it from a casual use perspective, but I admit that I don't wander outside of the word processor very often and, just like OpenOffice, there are some formatting quirks when a document ends up crossing suites into a Microsoft product.

Cool. I'm going to give that a try. Oddly enough, I'm downloading via the horrible and pirate using Torrent network. Sad that it is used for legitimate uses. (Last part was sarcasm).

Thanks for the suggestion!

I like the way they seem to be using a laptop without USB ports on the side an the kid plugs a USB into the side. Also is it an apple air? are they indirectly saying apple can get viruses to (like we all know they can).

Back