Upgrading...Should I Wait or Upgrade Now??

Sithtiger

Weaksauce
Ok, I want to upgrade. My "first world dilemma". I'm a gamer and I'm wondering if I should wait until later this year to see if Intel or AMD come out with something better, not to mention it would be good to have Spectre and Meltdown fixed at the hardware level. I'm looking at getting either an i5 8600K or an i7 8700K. I've used Intel for many years. The last AMD CPU I had was the Athlon XP 2500+. After that, it's been all Intel because they had the faster CPU. I heard Intel might not release anything until next year and if that's true, I think I'll just go ahead and get an i5 8600K. I'd like to get an i7 8700K, but I also want a consumer Volta card (assuming prices drop enough) and then I'm wondering about AMD's Zen2 architecture. If they released a Ryzen 5 2600X (say a successor to the R 5 1600X with Zen2) that's as fast or faster than an i5 8600K, then I'd wait. The thing is since I'm a gamer, it needs to be faster than the i5 8600K in both single and multicore gaming. Has anyone heard of Intel coming out with anything later to replace Coffee Lake or if Zen2 will be faster than Intel's current 8th gen chips and when? Here are my current specs.

Core i7 [email protected] Turbo W/ CM Hyper 212 EVO
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Mobo
32GB DDR3 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws X Series RAM
MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming 8G [email protected] [email protected]
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Crucial MX100 256GB SSD
Seagate 2TB SSHD
WD 1TB Black WD1001FALS HD
LG Blu-Ray Burner WH16NS40
Corsair HX850 850 Watt Modular PSU
Windows 10 Home x64
HP Pavilion 27xi 1080p
Cooler Master HAF 912
Corsair STRAFE RGB (Brown Switches)
Logitech G502 Proteus Mouse

I see no reason to upgrade right now. That 4790k overclocked is plenty fast for anything you could throw at it, especially since you have a 60 hz. monitor. Now, if you had a 144 hz. screen and wanted to game at that refresh rate, then an upgrade would help you out, but not that much. I'd stick with what you have for as long as you can wait.

I see no reason to upgrade right now. That 4790k overclocked is plenty fast for anything you could throw at it, especially since you have a 60 hz. monitor. Now, if you had a 144 hz. screen and wanted to game at that refresh rate, then an upgrade would help you out, but not that much. I'd stick with what you have for as long as you can wait.

Thanks for the input, but it seems external forces are going to force me to. That "eternal force" would be my wife...lol. That is to say she borrows money, pays it back and then immediately borrows more. The other factor is it doesn't look like there will be anything grand coming out that will beat Coffee Lake. Then Ryzen 2. God, honestly if AMD could at least match Intel's gaming performance, I'd buy a Ryzen 5 2600X or maybe a Ryzen 7 2700X because if games would focus on multicore performance rather than single core, the current first gen Ryzen CPU's would already beat Intel. I wish I could wait, but my money is going to disappear if I don't. If only some benchmarks, reliable sources released numbers on the new Ryzen refresh, I'd really like to do that!

If you play at 1080p/60hz I don't think an upgrade will net you much. Is there a game that you are not hitting a steady 60fps at right now? If you really need to spend money then I would put it towards a better higher refresh display with GSYNC and then upgrade to Volta down the line. Look at CPU once the Meltdown/Spectre thing is sorted at the hardware level like you mentioned already.

I don't see any reason for you to upgrade at the moment. As you say, new video cards from NVIDIA and processors from both Intel and AMD are on their way this year. Haswell is probably going to last me just as long as Kentsfield did.

Just wait for the new GPUs to drop, it should be within a few months hopefully. No reason to upgrade anything else.

giphy.gif

If you play at 1080p/60hz I don't think an upgrade will net you much. Is there a game that you are not hitting a steady 60fps at right now? If you really need to spend money then I would put it towards a better higher refresh display with GSYNC and then upgrade to Volta down the line. Look at CPU once the Meltdown/Spectre thing is sorted at the hardware level like you mentioned already.

Just one, but it's an older game now. SWTOR. That MMO can get up to 200 FPS, but at times get down to the 40's. Actually, everything is fine. You're right, I should wait and see!

I don't see any reason for you to upgrade at the moment. As you say, new video cards from NVIDIA and processors from both Intel and AMD are on their way this year. Haswell is probably going to last me just as long as Kentsfield did.
Was Kentsfield the Core 2 Quad Q6600? The first quad core CPU from Intel, which was actually 2 dual cores slapped together and not a true quadcore, yet it performed amazingly! Yeah, I had one for a while.

Just wait for the new GPUs to drop, it should be within a few months hopefully. No reason to upgrade anything else.
Honestly, if GPU prices dropped back down, I'd almost certainly get a Volta. The GTX 2070, not 2080. I'd love to get that, but the prices are so expensive and that was even before the CC thing blew up.

Another 'no reason to upgrade' comment. Your system is fine. Get a new monitor.
Yeah, about that. I actually did. So, here's what happened....my HP 27 Xi, which I loved, only 3 years old started dying. I would be corners of the screen....well more than a corner, it was dark in one corner, went up about 4 inches or so. When it warmed up, I'd turn it of and back on again and it was fine. The colder it is, the worse it was, but when it warmed it, it would return to normal, but it was obviously dying. It didn't start doing this until last year. It could last another year or another day. So, during Black Friday, I lucked out and found a Dell SE2717Hr 27 for $120 and I bought a 4 year warranty on it for $5. I had almost $100 at the time and that's it. I still have my other monitor and it works, but I don't know for how long. The only thing I don't like about the Dell is the Matte display. I just loved the glossy display my HP has. I NEVER had to clean it and the few times I did, you could just get a soft cloth slightly damp and wipe it off. This is harder to clean because of the matte display. That said, this has a 75Hz refresh rate compared to the 60Hz my HP has and the HP has a flicker, so I'd get eye strain. So I was looking for a Gsync monitor, but to get one, I would have had to get like a 21 inch monitor or something. Had I known I was about to do a couple of high paying computer jobs, I would have waited, but I do this on the side and I never know when I'm gonna get a job.

If I were to get a Gsync monitor, I would want a 27inch monitor along with an IPS screen. I know TN panels have gotten better, but IPS is king and the Dell is an IPS. The price for one, even at Black Friday was like $600. Had I had that money then, I would have bought one. I almost got a 1440p monitor (without Gsync) but I'm a framerate and I like everything on the highest setting.....well as much I can get and I can usually have everyone on at 1080p. At 1440p/2K, that's not possible. I mean it is, but then to do all that and have 60 FPS....nope. If I had a 1080,I could have done that. So, I'm probably gonna have this monitor for a while. If I can get a GTX 2070 Volta, that will allow me to upgrade to a 4K monitor without Gsync. I'd love to get Gsync, but I won't be getting one for a while. Too damn expensive.

But, I'm gonna hang on to my money (if possible) because yeah, I don't want to buy an i5-8600k and then see the rumored i5-8650k that not only is supposed to now support HT, but I'm hearing it's gonna run at 45 watts potentially!?! WHAT?!? I'll have to see that to believe it. I think they'd need a die shrink to 12nm to achieve that, if even any of this is true. I'm also hearing about an i7-8750K with 8 cores and with HT, that would be 16 cores along with the Z390 chipset, so yeah, I'd be pretty pissed if bought an 8600K Z370 and then see these other CPU's come out. And then AMD has Zen Plus, not Zen 2, which is due out next year I see and I'm sure that will be awesome, but I'm not gonna wait a year for that.....not with Intel's rumored upcoming CPU's and AMD's. At the very least the Z390 chipset will allow for a little more futureproofing. I don't know if I can afford an 8-core Intel CPU, but if AMD can match speeds or at least come within 5% or so, I'd switch, because AMD has better multicore scores and games are slowly moving toward that. In either case, my next upgrade is almost certainly going to last at least 4 years. Assuming the consumer Volta comes out this year, it's still out of my reach unless I get a few jobs and that's for "normal" GPU pricing. Even at normal, a GTX 2070 will cost $500, easy, most likely more. If it came out right now, we're looking at a starting price of $1500 to $2000. I'm realistically thinking I won't be able to upgrade the GPU until next year. Even a 1080 Ti would be OK. I'd love to get it this year, but prices will have to drop and I'll need jobs!

As an 8700K owner who came from a 4790K (running at the same speeds no less), I can tell you that you're not going to see much if any difference. We're talking at most 1-2 FPS in like 95% of games. There are a couple exceptions out there, but usually CPU speed is what they're looking for. With the 8700K you're still going to be in the 4.7 - 5.0Ghz range. Even with much quicker RAM, it's still very situational when you'll see any improvements. Personally, I'd wait.
I went for it because my wife's C2D system needed a boost.

Upgrade from what?

Right now you'd be a fool to buy a GPU since the one you have now is worth nearly $900 and you'd need to spend $1000+ to upgrade from it. Besides that, the rest of your rig looks fine to me.

Like somebody else said, just get a new monitor and enjoy that a while.

As an 8700K owner who came from a 4790K (running at the same speeds no less), I can tell you that you're not going to see much if any difference. We're talking at most 1-2 FPS in like 95% of games. There are a couple exceptions out there, but usually, CPU speed is what they're looking for. With the 8700K you're still going to be in the 4.7 - 5.0Ghz range. Even with much quicker RAM, it's still very situational when you'll see any improvements. Personally, I'd wait.
I went for it because my wife's C2D system needed a boost.

Well, I do agree with you about not seeing much difference in gaming. I've looked extensively at current 8600K, 8700K, Ryzen 1600X, 1700X and 1800X and even though the 1800X is an Octo-core CPU with 16 threads, we all know Ryzen is inferior in gaming, yet with a Pascal card, especially with a 1070 and up, the bottleneck is the GPU. I will say that overall performance is boosted slightly with an i5-8600k. With an SSD, it boots in about 2 seconds, maybe 3, no joke but as you said, gaming performance won't be a noticeable game except games that are CPU bound. That said, I'm used to upgrading often. I'm used to upgrading the whole rig, which to me is the CPU, Mobo, RAM, and GPU. That's it unless you need a hard drive and/or SSD and some optical drive along with a PSU if you need it. I only need the components I listed. Every 2 years I upgrade the GPU, but they are so expensive right now. But prices are ridiculous right now. The only GPU I'd upgrade, is 1080, 1080Ti, Volta....the yet to be named the successor to Pascal seemed to be Volta, but now I'm hearing about Ampere. They could be skipping Volta despite it the fastest GPU on the planet. That is unless you have $3000, but that's the MSRP. If I had $3,000 I'd buy it though. What sucks is whatever it's called, the consumer version will have all tensor cores disabled or physically removed, which is B.S. IMO. Yeah we know the Titan V is a "Pro" card and designed for deep learning, AI etc. What's B.S. is the Titan V is outperforming other professional cards 135%.

If that's true, then it looks like the 1080 Ti or even 1080 will do, even if I were to upgrade to 2K monitor. As it stands right now, the only GPU that can consistently run 4K is the Titan V, which is out of reach for most ppl. I'll wait on the GPU until next year.

The upcoming Z390 and possible 8-core CPU and even the i5-8650K with HT look spectacular, but do I really need it right now?
Upgrade from what? I currently have a Core i7-4790 @4.6GHz, 32 GB of DDR3 G.Skill RAM running I forget the speed, it's O/Ced using an XMP profile. MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming 8X @2000GHz, Memory 4500 GHz (non X or Z variant). I've got two SSD's as well. Both 250 GB and one normal HD @ 1TB and another @ 2TB

Right now you'd be a fool to buy a GPU since the one you have now is worth nearly $900 and you'd need to spend $1000+ to upgrade from it. Besides that, the rest of your rig looks fine to me.

Like somebody else said, just get a new monitor and enjoy that a while.

Yeah, you're right. I'm gonna wait until prices drop and wait until a new GTX card is released, which probably won't be until next year and even

Yeah, I'm gonna wait, but I'd like to know more about Gsync monitors. I know a bit how they work and their functionality...that is Gsync monitor syncs up with the graphics so if the GS monitor is 144Hz, you're almost certainly not going to get an average of 144 Hz unless you have an older game. The GS monitor will allow smooth gameplay even though you can't maintain or perhaps even get to 144FPS. So my question is, say I only get 60FPS or even 30FPS on a GS monitor with my GTX 1070. Will I get a smooth 30 FPS or will it be choppy? Also, would a GS monitor allow me to play any game with all the bells and whistles on??

What disadvantages are there besides the price of course? I love IPS panels because they give great color reproduction. What panel type should I get? If I do this, then I want a 27 inch or higher 2K, 1440P 144Hz Gsync Monitor. I want to run with everything on, as I've said before. I know TN panels are fast, but the quality isn't as robust as IPS. VA seems to give the best of both worlds. Would I be able to run, say run any game with everything on and get perfect smoothe gameplay? Thanks for the help guys!

So, is it still worth it to wait for Nvidia's Turing or Ampere to be released in the 4th quarter of this year, or should I wait for Intel's update which reported has a hardware fix for Metldown, which I really wanted that, however I'm interested in Zen 2 and AMD's new CPU's, but I doubt they'll beat Intel. It sounds like Zen 2 might come close to the current i7 8800 or the i5 8600, but if I get another Intel CPU, I want a friggin 8-core CPU with 16HT with it, but if game developers start making games that use AMD's architecture, even the current Ryzen 1st gen CPU's would blow away Intel if they took multi-cores into consideration, but now AMD also has a ton of security flaws that are now as bad as Intel's since they can be triggered remotely through malware....sigh.

I wanna update everyone and...well revisit this question because there have been some developments since I posted this. It seems Intel is releasing a new line of CPU's (as well as the Z390 mobo's), which we knew, but now it seems like it will in the 2nd half of the year. Nvidia will be releasing new GPU's for gamers....either Turing or Ampere around August or later. Most people say I should just wait for the GPU's. Right now I have $815 cash. I also have a $50 Amazon card, but my wife owes me $215 which I won't see for a while. She pays me back like $20 a month. I'm REALLY bad a math, but somehow I won't have that $215 back by the time the new GPU's come out and definitely before the new CPU and motherboards come back.

Here's the deal, I have a 1080P monitor, no Gsync. So, I have 3 options. Buy a kick ass Gsync monitor and hang on to my aging 4790k for maybe 4 years, the same goes for my GPU, but then could I play newer games that out put a slower framerate, so Gsync would still run smooth or how far will Gsync actually help with older systems? 2, update my GPU, but I'm still stuck at 1080P. 3, upgrade my CPU and mobo? Since I'm running a lower resolution (compared to 2k and 4k) CPU performance will make more of an impact. I know, once I can get a Gsync monitor, 2K will pretty much run the same if I have what I have now, or even an i7 2700k or even the upcoming Cannon Lake Intel CPU with 8 cores or AMD if Ryzen is faster than Intel, but I doubt it.

With Gsync you get a smooth display at any framerate within its range. Now of course lower framerates look lower, more like a slideshow, and not as fluid as higher ones. But there's no tearing, no juddering, no issues like with a fixed framerate monitor. It just displays frames whenever they are sent to it. It is a really great technology, and makes games playable at lower framerates I find. I still prefer high fps, you can see and feel the fluidity, but 50fps is playable on my Gsync monitor, and it was a mess on a fixed framerate one.

You can get what you want monitor wise in the form of the Viewsonic XG2703-GS. IPS, 144Hz, 27" 2.5k. It's what I got and I love it.

For CPUs, don't worry about waiting. I mean I'm not saying don't wait if you want, but there's no reason not to buy now. For one, they aren't going to have any real fix for Specter/Meltdown. It takes a long time to change chip design, in this short an amount of time little will change, the new chips will largely be fixed in microcode as they are now. More importantly is that the fixes really don't slow anything down, at least for desktop use. I have an 8700k and the 3Dmark scores between fixes and no fixes are within the margin of error. For that matter, if you really feel it is a problem you can just tell Windows to turn them off.

Clearly you have the itch. I could see getting a new monitor with gsync since you have the 1070 but I see no point in upgrading anything else right now. Wait and see what the new ryzen cpus do performance wise but meh. Buy a bigger ssd or some new games and sit on the rest of the cash for when the new gpus come out.

but now AMD also has a ton of security flaws that are now as bad as Intel's since they can be triggered remotely through malware....sigh.

I'd wait for more concrete proof before buying into a very sketchy scenario there.

Well, just waiting on what Intel will release for their CPU's. AMD's are very impressive and seem to be faster, but I imagine Intel will best them, but we'll see. I like how cool the R7 2700X runs with the Wraith HSF!

With Gsync you get a smooth display at any framerate within its range. Now of course lower framerates look lower, more like a slideshow, and not as fluid as higher ones. But there's no tearing, no juddering, no issues like with a fixed framerate monitor. It just displays frames whenever they are sent to it. It is a really great technology, and makes games playable at lower framerates I find. I still prefer high fps, you can see and feel the fluidity, but 50fps is playable on my Gsync monitor, and it was a mess on a fixed framerate one.

You can get what you want monitor wise in the form of the Viewsonic XG2703-GS. IPS, 144Hz, 27" 2.5k. It's what I got and I love it.

For CPUs, don't worry about waiting. I mean I'm not saying don't wait if you want, but there's no reason not to buy now. For one, they aren't going to have any real fix for Specter/Meltdown. It takes a long time to change chip design, in this short an amount of time little will change, the new chips will largely be fixed in microcode as they are now. More importantly is that the fixes really don't slow anything down, at least for desktop use. I have an 8700k and the 3Dmark scores between fixes and no fixes are within the margin of error. For that matter, if you really feel it is a problem you can just tell Windows to turn them off.

Let me jump in here with a warning about GSYNC. GSYNC does add latency. This may or may not matter for you.

If you are the kind of person that plays competitive shooting games like CS GO, Quake Champions, or plays competitive fighting games and uses a wired mouse, wired keyboard, hardwired wired Ethernet, and are using a 1ms delay 144hz or 240hz monitor than you are going to end up turning GSYNC off like everyone else with that sort of set up or who is playing competitive games.

On the other hand if you are using high resolutions, playing over wireless, using wireless peripherals, using an IPS display with 4-8ms delay because you like the colors and blacks, largely playing single player games, and cranking your details high enough your frame rates drop that you aren't going to care about the extra latency added by gsync and it will pay off in spades for you.

Since you can always turn GSYNC off it's better to have it than not to have it. But given that GSYNC adds extra cash to the monitor, and removes a lot of the native built in management, You may want to evaluate if you really need it. GSYNC sucks for someone who's playing a lot of CSGO in a high skilled environment, it's a god send for someone that wants to kick back and go through Witcher 3 on an ultra wide.

I understand the upgrade itch but from your current system there is no reason to upgrade your cpu/motherboard yet. If you really want to buy something new get a gpu upgrade instead. I think you should wait for Nvidia's next gpu launch (2080 or whatever they will call it.) Then maybe wait until next year or sooner to see what intel launches next. The new Ryzen cpu looks pretty good but th 8700k should still be the better gaming cpu. Maybe if you ere trying to push 144hz out of a 1440p monitor, but not at 1080p.

I understand the upgrade itch but from your current system there is no reason to upgrade your cpu/motherboard yet. If you really want to buy something new get a gpu upgrade instead. I think you should wait for Nvidia's next gpu launch (2080 or whatever they will call it.) Then maybe wait until next year or sooner to see what intel launches next. The new Ryzen cpu looks pretty good but th 8700k should still be the better gaming cpu. Maybe if you ere trying to push 144hz out of a 1440p monitor, but not at 1080p.

AMD VS INTEL is a total wash right now unless you are using a 240hz monitor, turning freesync/gsync off, all wired equipment, 1ms TN (none of that IPS nonsense), and can actually hit those frames. That or you are streaming and doing other stuff and need the extra cores to handle it.

His best bet is either a 144hz 1ms delay with no adaptive sync for MP games, or a 100hz 4ms+ with adaptive sync for single player. Hell maybe even an audio upgrade.

IMHO I would ditch the 60hz monitor first.

Well, just waiting on what Intel will release for their CPU's. AMD's are very impressive and seem to be faster, but I imagine Intel will best them, but we'll see. I like how cool the R7 2700X runs with the Wraith HSF!

That mentality will mean you'll never upgrade. Because there's always a 'new release' somewhere down the road.

Your system is fine as is. Grab a 144hz+ monitor and call it a day.

Let me jump in here with a warning about GSYNC. GSYNC does add latency. This may or may not matter to you.

If you are the kind of person that plays competitive shooting games like CS GO, Quake Champions, or plays competitive fighting games and uses a wired mouse, wired keyboard, hardwired wired Ethernet, and are using a 1ms delay 144hz or 240hz monitor than you are going to end up turning GSYNC off like everyone else with that sort of set up or who is playing competitive games.

On the other hand if you are using high resolutions, playing over wireless, using wireless peripherals, using an IPS display with 4-8ms delay because you like the colors and blacks, largely playing single player games, and cranking your details high enough your frame rates drop that you aren't going to care about the extra latency added by gsync and it will pay off in spades for you.

Since you can always turn GSYNC off it's better to have it than not to have it. But given that GSYNC adds extra cash to the monitor, and removes a lot of the native built-in management, You may want to evaluate if you really need it. GSYNC sucks for someone who's playing a lot of CSGO in a high skilled environment, it's a god send for someone that wants to kick back and go through Witcher 3 on an ultra wide.

Wow, I didn't know that, but no I don't play competitively. I do have everything wired though, just because I don't like buying batteries, but I imagine the wireless mice, the more expensive once use lithium-ion rechargeable batteries anyway. I do want to have everything at it's highest though, but I'm still using a 1080p monitor. I would have gotten a 2k monitor, but while my O/Ced 1070 could run it just fine, there would be some games that I couldn't have all the bells and whistles on, like SWTOR and maybe even Battlefield 1 on a 2K monitor that is. However, if I knew I was going to make a bit of money at end of last year and the beginning of this one, I would have bought a 2K monitor and then I could have upgraded to a 1080 Ti (if prices were normal), but considering, I think I should upgrade my CPU, Mobo and RAM because my GPU is newer than the other parts. Last time I bought too early. Had I waited, I would have had an i7 6700k. If I had enough money, I'd upgrade my whole system and if GPU's were at their normal prices, I could still do that. In the unlikely possibility that GPU's will drop back to normal in the next few months, I can upgrade to a Coffee-lake refresh and the Nvidia Ampere/Turing, GTX 2700 or 1700 or even a 1080 Ti. I know I could get a 1080, but for the money, I don't feel like it's worth paying $600, even $500 (if I could fine one for that price) for a 1080. $500 or $600 for a 1080 Ti or whatever Nvidia will be releasing to replace the 1070, that's what I want. I'd rather get Ampere/Turing because I WANT those Tensor cores, but if it's too much a 1080 Ti will do just fine and if some crazy reason the 1080 dropped to $300 or $350, I'd go for that, even though I'm a PC snob and want the latest and greatest, but when illness puts you on permanent disability, you can't upgrade every 2 years like I used to do!

The smartest thing to do, would be to wait until Black Friday or Cyber Monday this year, but I can't do that. That was my original plan, but I'm too Bipolar for that.....literally..heh.

Well considering Intel has added a fix for Meltdown, was it on the upcoming CPU's, I think I could get maybe 15 to 25 FPS with my 1070 since I am using a lower resolution now at 1080p. God, I can't believe we're calling 1080p a "lower resolution"! I remember when 800x600 was the higher resolution! However, if I did get the 2700 and then bought a 144Hz 4K on Black Friday or Cyber Monday....that would make me wait. See, my problem is I have no idea when I'm going to get any money. I'm disabled and I just make some extra on the side with computer jobs. I don't have a business and as such I can only make a certain amount extra. I basically have about $1,000 right now. It's possible that I could get a few jobs and make some money, but I doubt it. To boot and this is OT, my doctors are taking away one of my meds that literally allow me to exist and I have to find a replacement but the problem is I don't respond to most drugs and it was really luck that I found the last one and now. Anyway, computer upgrading problems come 2nd to that. Last year REALLY sucked for many reasons, but when I was looking to upgrade and then the way the prices shot up on GPU's along with availability because of the damn crypto-currency mining, just pisses me off so much! I know both AMD and Nvidia have released special cards that are designed specifically for CCM. The question is, will miners buy them? Or are the cards like Nvidia saying Volta is a "Pro" card. The difference here are two things. One, if prices were normal, Volta could price as low as $1,000 to $1,500 and two, unlike previous pro cards Volta is so much faster than Pascal. Before Pascal came along I'd say Volta is like 3 generations ahead of current technology if you compared it to Pascal, if the 1080 was about 50% slower. Even when you turn all Tensor cores off Volta, it's still like 30% faster or more than the 1080 Ti isn't it....or maybe the review I saw was against the 1080.

At any rate, If Nvidia and Intel released their products around the same time (and from what I've heard, Nvidia won't be releasing the 2080 until August or so) and GPU prices drop back down, I would probably get the GPU and then wait until BF and CM and buy a 4K monitor.

AMD VS INTEL is a total wash right now unless you are using a 240hz monitor, turning freesync/gsync off, all wired equipment, 1ms TN (none of that IPS nonsense), and can actually hit those frames. That or you are streaming and doing other stuff and need the extra cores to handle it.

His best bet is either a 144hz 1ms delay with no adaptive sync for MP games, or a 100hz 4ms+ with adaptive sync for single player. Hell maybe even an audio upgrade.

IMHO I would ditch the 60hz monitor first.

Well, I did at least ditch the 60Hz monitor last year on CM. It's a cheap Dell 27 inch with a 75Hz refresh rate. It's not awesome, but it's sure better than my broke @ss 27in 60Hz HP that flickered. I had eye strain constantly! It was an IPS monitor and this Dell is an IPS as well. I believe it has 4ms delay. Pretty good for an IPS. I know TN panels have gotten better, but still not as good as IPS or VA monitors. I like rich colors, but I'd also like a 144Hz monitor with Gsync. I was thinking about getting a Freesync monitor, but then a GTX 1080 is faster than a Vega 56 or a Vega 64. Of course, when you get into 2K or better yet 4K resolutions, you need two things to have a good gaming experience. Well, for 4K, a 1080 will run any game, but not with everything on, you need a 1080 Ti. In fact I'd rather have a 2K with a 1080 Ti just to be safe, unless you had Gsync that is.

Ya know, in this case, I'd like to have a paper launch, because if I knew what it could do and the price it would be, I'd wait. The thing, I think the 2080 and 2070 will be considerably faster than the cards they're replacing. It will even be faster than the 1080 Ti or at least the 2070 will be just as fast at the very least. The price is the unknown factor.

That mentality will mean you'll never upgrade. Because there's always a 'new release' somewhere down the road.

Your system is fine as is. Grab a 144hz+ monitor and call it a day.

Well, I need to see the difference in picture quality between 2k and 1080p. All I want is to be able to play ANY game at it's highest resolution (my monitor can muster) and play with all the bells and whistles on. Question, say I get a 2K Gsync monitor. What sort of framerates can I expect in comparison to what I have now? So my monitor has a 1080p resolution and it's 75Hz. I can play basically ANY game at it's highest and still get 75Hz. There are many games that I don't even know V-sync on because I don't get tearing. But for the same of smoothness, say I have Adaptive V-Sync on and get a silky smooth 75 FPS. What could I expect with a 2K monitor with G-sync with 144Hz? I know I'm not going to get 144 FPS with most games, save Fortnight (which I just started playing....barely) and Overwatch, which is awesome, but what about Battlefield 1 or Battlefront II or even SWTOR, which is extremely hard on GPU's? I think SWTOR is optimized more for CPU's which is something that is becoming less frequent. I also know at higher resolutions, your CPU makes even less of a difference. I saw a YT video showing the difference between a 2700k and a 8700k and a 2600k pretty much held it's on against a 8700k and I think he was using a 1070 as well.

Well, shit, after watching that video I was talking about in my last post combined with another one, this time with a GTX 1080 Ti, it does, in fact, seem like a GPU is the way to go. I mean sure an i7 8700k paired with a 1080 Ti is going to perform faster than a 4790k, but there's a MUCH bigger difference upgrading the GPU vs the CPU. The smart thing to do would be to wait for GTX 2070 as well. I really wanted to upgrade my CPU Mobo and RAM, but the GPU makes a massive difference!

Well, I need to see the difference in picture quality between 2k and 1080p.

There is none, 1080p and 2k are (almost) the same, I assume you mean 1440p. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2K_resolution

The advantage of a G-sync monitor is that it almost always feels smooth as long as your frame rates are in the supported range. Obviously the higher the resiolution, the more gpu horsepower you will need but even if you only get 100 fps on certain games it will still be smooth.

Most MMO's are pretty CPU bound, e.g. world of warcraft will drop to <60 fps in certain spots that are badly optimised or during effect heavy fights, same would go for SWTOr etc... but a stronger CPU wont cure that, it will just be a bit less noticable.

Your 1070 should be able to handle 1440p decently well coupled to a g-sync monitor, new cards might come oout around June/July (hopefully they will be at a decent price and in stock), you may be able to buy a 1080ti lvl of performance card for cheaper.

Well, I need to see the difference in picture quality between 2k and 1080p. All I want is to be able to play ANY game at it's highest resolution (my monitor can muster) and play with all the bells and whistles on. Question, say I get a 2K Gsync monitor. What sort of framerates can I expect in comparison to what I have now? So my monitor has a 1080p resolution and it's 75Hz. I can play basically ANY game at it's highest and still get 75Hz. There are many games that I don't even know V-sync on because I don't get tearing. But for the same of smoothness, say I have Adaptive V-Sync on and get a silky smooth 75 FPS. What could I expect with a 2K monitor with G-sync with 144Hz? I know I'm not going to get 144 FPS with most games, save Fortnight (which I just started playing....barely) and Overwatch, which is awesome, but what about Battlefield 1 or Battlefront II or even SWTOR, which is extremely hard on GPU's? I think SWTOR is optimized more for CPU's which is something that is becoming less frequent. I also know at higher resolutions, your CPU makes even less of a difference. I saw a YT video showing the difference between a 2700k and a 8700k and a 2600k pretty much held it's on against a 8700k and I think he was using a 1070 as well.

There is a bigger difference going from 75hz to 144hz than there is going from 1080p to 1440p. Even if you can't hit 144fps a 144hz monitor is going to be light years more fluid and more responsive than 75hz. It's really night and day. If you're playing RPGs and are OK with the delay of an IPS the added delay/latency of GSYNC won't be an issue for you. Buy a 144hz 1440p IPS GSYNC, it will be fine for you.

Also IPS has fuck all to do with eye strain. Anti eye strain technology (low blue light) exists in TN, IPS, VA, and OLED technologies. IPS monitors have better colors, blacks, and viewing angles compared to TN at the cost of latency. GSYNC looks more fluid at the cost of latency. None of this has anything to do with eyestrain which is caused by flickering.

The IPS/TN battle is simply where you draw the line on visual quality vs latency. A good 144hz monitor won't cause eyestrain regardless of TN or IPS.

There is a bigger difference going from 75hz to 144hz than there is going from 1080p to 1440p. Even if you can't hit 144fps a 144hz monitor is going to be light years more fluid and more responsive than 75hz. It's really night and day. If you're playing RPGs and are OK with the delay of an IPS the added delay/latency of GSYNC won't be an issue for you. Buy a 144hz 1440p IPS GSYNC, it will be fine for you.

Also, IPS has fuck all to do with eye strain. Anti eye strain technology (low blue light) exists in TN, IPS, VA, and OLED technologies. IPS monitors have better colors, blacks, and viewing angles compared to TN at the cost of latency. GSYNC looks more fluid at the cost of latency. None of this has anything to do with eyestrain which is caused by flickering.

The IPS/TN battle is simply where you draw the line on visual quality vs latency. A good 144hz monitor won't cause eyestrain regardless of TN or IPS.

Yes, I know that, but you'd definitely have to have Gsync with a 144hz monitor since you wouldn't average 144hz with everything or almost everything on it's highest setting if you want to run V-sync to reduce tearing. I realize my last monitor flickered, not because of all the new tech, but because I could feel the eye strain and see the flicker. You could really see it if you simply held up your phone and looked at the screen. I know other 60hz monitors don't flicker, but my HP did. That's why I picked an IPS monitor, because of the richer colors and deep blacks, but better angles too. My monitor before my HP was an Asus 1080p 60hz TN panel. I'm not sure if it flickers, I'm guessing not because I don't recall eye strain with that. I do play FPS games. I love Titanfall 2, Battlefront II, Battlefield 1, BF4 and Overwatch! I also like SWTOR. Trying to get into Fortnite. I loved Paragon....too bad it's only got about a week left since Fortnite took all the devs, but I guess if I had a company and suddenly this Battle Royale game was the #1 game in the world, I'd probably do the same, but I really loved Paragon. It was the best looking MOBA out....IMO anyway.

If I had the money, I'd get a new monitor too, but unfortunately, I can either get a new monitor, GPU, or CPU, RAM and CPU. Being a gamer, I choose the GPU, but I wish I could upgrade my whole computer, but I can't. My monitor is new, but if I could go back, I would have at least bought a 1440p monitor, but I had no idea I'd get this much money and it could be many years, maybe never if I'm able to upgrade again, so this needs to count!

**UPDATE**

So, in light of pending upcoming GPU cards from Intel, here is what has changed. Some of it hasn't.

I'll put my current specs down again.

What, do you guys think now about me waiting for BF/CM to get an 1170/2070 before BF or CM? I'd get a 1180/2080 if I could afford it of course. Some people think the new cards won't be out until Christmas. Originally I was just going to upgrade my GPU. My specs are MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 8G, 32GB of DDR3 RAM, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 mobo and an i7 4790k. I also have a Corsair 850 watt fully modular PSU and a new Dell SE2717H with a 75Hz refresh rate 1080p. I had to make an emergency purchase last year as my HP 27 XI decided to start dying on me. Had I known I'd be making enough money to upgrade my whole system or even a GPU, I might have bought a Gsync monitor. They are so expensive, but I definitely would love to have a 1440p monitor IPS panel if possible. I know my 1070 can handle it, but certain games in certain places like MMO's Star Wars: The Old Republic (yes people still play this game) as well as The Elder Scrolls Online, BF1, BF4, Overwatch Titanfall 2 and last but not least, but last as in EA screwing us good for revenge for not excepting their B.S. loot boxes, I LOVE Battlefront II. I absolutely LOVE Starfighter in that game. Anyway, I have $1200 to spend currently and worst case scenario would be to buy the newest Intel i7 9700k or perhaps an i5 9600k and a GTX 1080 with 16GB of DDR4 RAM and Asrock Z390 mobo.
I was hoping to get the same components above, 8th gen or the newer refresh 8th gen... save for the GPU, either an 1170 or 1180 (or 2070/2080...whatever they name it), or a GTX 1080 Ti. Honestly, I don't see myself getting an 1180 (which is ok, but I REALLY want at least an 1170 or 1080 Ti. I'll buy a 1080 if I must. It's not that the 1080 is a horrible card, it's totally bad ass,, but the 1080 Ti is so much more powerful and so would the new Turning 11xx cards. I could forego upgrading the CPU, mobo, and RAM and just get the fastest GPU when it comes out, but my 4790k is getting a bit long in the tooth.
So, I know I could upgrade my whole system, except I'm good with HDD's and SSD's and a Blu-ray burner along with a Corsair RGB Strafe keyboard and finally a Logitech G502 mouse. If I had a 1440p monitor and knew I could get a 1080 Ti, 1170 or 1180, I would have gotten at least a 1440p monitor!

Back