Upgraded to Samsung B-die, still getting horrible RAM speeds

Bageland2000

Limp Gawd
So a while ago I posted this thread

tl;dr is that I had some average RAM that I was able to get past XMP/DOCP speeds fairly easily. Did a BIOS update, and tried and failed miserably to get past 2400MHz (before update was getting better than 3200 easy). The problem is, I I've done three or four firmware updates since, and it's never gotten better. I don't remember what the known-good BIOS was, and honestly I'm second-guessing if that was even the problem because...

I just bought this RAM. It's Samsung B-die rated at 3600MHz. Well, I still can't even load the DOCP profile. I even tried backing off from 3600MHz to 3200 and upped the voltage to 1.4v (from 1.35) and it's still crazy unstable.

Can anyone else help me understand what's next from a troubleshooting/fix standpoint? My head's not screwed on with this one, I'm just frustrated and need an outside opinion.

What CPU are you running now? Did you make the switch to the Ryzen 3000 series?

Pushing dual rank dimms on a second gen Ryzen at 3200 (or higher) isn’t going to be easy. Did you try running the settings from the Ryzen dram calculator?

Let it be known to all that Bageland2000, having been building computers since 1996, has been running his RAM in the A1/A2 slots, causing single channel and in inability to get any decent overclocks, in his $3K plus system for over two years...

Quite often, RAM speeds will not get better with AGESA and BIOS code updates. It can get better, but sometimes it gets worse.

Quite often, RAM speeds will not get better with AGESA and BIOS code updates. It can get better, but sometimes it gets worse.
Especially if the updates are focused on newer models of CPU.

Let it be known to all that Bageland2000, having been building computers since 1996, has been running his RAM in the A1/A2 slots, causing single channel and in inability to get any decent overclocks, in his $3K plus system for over two years...
Nice find, thanks for admitting/sharing/owning it! Live, learn, and enjoy.

On my x470 gigabyte board, I had B-die 3200. In order for me to get to 3600 stable I had to enable SOC/Uncore OC Mode in BIOS. This is for a 3800x though.

On my x470 gigabyte board, I had B-die 3200. In order for me to get to 3600 stable I had to enable SOC/Uncore OC Mode in BIOS. This is for a 3800x though.

Same thing with my Asrock B450 Fatality ITX. For the life of me I could not understand why it would not work with my 3600 Samsung B-Die, a kit that worked out of the box with my Asus B350 Strix without any trouble even though B350 should be inferior with memory compatibility. Ram voltage, timings both DOCP and manual, SOC Voltage, everything should have been right but it was unstable as hell, and when I just thought I got things right and Memtest did not crash over night the thing gets trouble cold booting which resulted in BIOS settings revert to defaults and make me tear my hair off from frustration.

But now that I enabled Soc/uncore OC Mode things seem stable, but I am still not 100% convinced that things are right as rain again. Not after spending weeks testing and trouble shooting on my free time and it making me lose my shit in different ways... 😅

Same thing with my Asrock B450 Fatality ITX. For the life of me I could not understand why it would not work with my 3600 Samsung B-Die, a kit that worked out of the box with my Asus B350 Strix without any trouble even though B350 should be inferior with memory compatibility. Ram voltage, timings both DOCP and manual, SOC Voltage, everything should have been right but it was unstable as hell, and when I just thought I got things right and Memtest did not crash over night the thing gets trouble cold booting which resulted in BIOS settings revert to defaults and make me tear my hair off from frustration.

But now that I enabled Soc/uncore OC Mode things seem stable, but I am still not 100% convinced that things are right as rain again. Not after spending weeks testing and trouble shooting on my free time and it making me lose my shit in different ways... 😅

I understand. I tried every setting, and even bought a different RAM kit. I knew I was missing something, and finally found it. I've been very happy with this platform.

I ran a 2700x and couldn't run 4 dimms at rated speed and couldn't run 2 sticks above rated speed .. now, same mobo and 3700x .. I have my 3200mhz stuff running at 3800 with 1:1 IF(1900) . Moved the 2700x to my daughters setup and couldn't run her 2 x 16gb 3000mhz at rated speed stably .. had to go 2833mhz .. upgraded her to a 3600x and can now run xmp profile (haven't tried faster).

Back