Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99

They're offering media center as a free download which includes the DVD codec junk you need to play moooooooo(cow)vies again. So yeah, it can do the HTPC thingies too and Microsoft covered that base for the home theater naysayers just like they did for the full install peoples.

They soo owe me a Microsoft mouse pad for this!

Buut know whos what other stuff they stripped out (lots of the "stuff" in the previews was DLC that the "full" OS doesn't include apparantly. Who knows if it doesn't include .m2s or something. :eek:

Plus it's not a good idea to encourage pre-order bonuses with OSes! I'm sure I had an MS mouse pad... Next time I see you i'll give it to you if I remember...and can find it...

Buut know whos what other stuff they stripped out (lots of the "stuff" in the previews was DLC that the "full" OS doesn't include apparantly. Who knows if it doesn't include .m2s or something. :eek:

Plus it's not a good idea to encourage pre-order bonuses with OSes! I'm sure I had an MS mouse pad... Next time I see you i'll give it to you if I remember...and can find it...

Yeah, I guess that's true. For the basic DVD and Netflix junk it should work okay though. You can try the release preview thingey and get media center and see if what's currently supported works for your needs though. Okay, it's no promise that stuff will be in the retail version, but I'd be mostly confidant they'd not change the codec support. It'd be really random to do that before going retail.

Yay mouse pad! Why are we talking in tiny font about it though? Is this something so secret that wonderfield isn't allowed to know about it?

I guess I was mostly just wondering if they had improved the UI in any major way to make it work better with something like the diNovo Mini. Plus performance increases or something...I dunno.

Sounds like there's really no compelling reason(s) to upgrade, though.

Thanks, but uh......no thanks.

Wont be touching that with a 50ft pole.

Good deal for those who want it, but I'll be stocking up on a few spare copies of Win7 myself for future needs.

Not a bad price at all....

does anyone know if we will be able to install these upgrade editions from a clean wiped hard drive? I'll probably buy an upgrade edition if I can install from a bare drive.

Is that how much they're willing to pay ME to install W8 to replace my copy of W7? :p

If so, that's a good deal. I use the money they gave me to install that crap and buy good beer. And throw the W8 disc in the trash along with the receipt to "hide the evidence".

Not a bad price at all....

does anyone know if we will be able to install these upgrade editions from a clean wiped hard drive? I'll probably buy an upgrade edition if I can install from a bare drive.

You have to have the OS on the drive to install this but you can format the drive within the Windows 8 installer.

D'oh!

trap.jpg

I always wondered how this worked on Apple machines that didn't come preinstalled with the latest osx version as well, seeing as Apple doesn't seem to believe in optical discs from the 21st century.

Flash drive. And DVDs are from the 20th century. :)

By the way, the next Apple operating system is $19.99.

Not hard to charge $20 for upgrades when you're making profit margins hand over fist on hardware and proprietary accessories. MS doesn't really have that luxury.

Both operating systems are being subsidized via different means, yeah. It's not clear to me why this is a problem.

Both still have their uses.

By the way, the next Apple operating system is $19.99.[/QUOTE]

You can't really compare a new version of OS X to Windows. OS X are much more incremental and routine and far less backwards compatible.

The next UPDATE is $19.99 still costs a minimum of $500 to be a proud (delusional) owner of Mac OS.

When you can buy mac os and load it onto any machine you want then its pricing schemes can be compared to windows until then its still more expensive to own mac OS than windows by far.

$20 may seem cheap when put in that slanted way but considering the outrageous prices you have to pay for the hardware just to run it its far from cheap and that ridiculous cost should come with those updates for free. But then again its Apple...

I'm happy for this. Been using w8 preview and didn't really wanna spend more then 200$ on upgrade for pcs i already have. Vista on a Hp laptop slows it down so much even if its got 4gb of ram. While it runs swimmingly on w8. Compared to w7 , windows 8 needs alot less resources and uses what its got better so it'll be great for slow netbooks and laptops.

I always put shortcuts on my desktop, and on vista the programs file was always a pain to navigate with multiple sub-directorys. Metros better in that sense but i'm still using shortcuts so... yeah nothings changed in that sense.

I wouldn't upgrade to W8 if it was free from microsoft.com with full retail DVD. Dead serious. Maybe I'll change my mind on finally release and hear more about it, but not likely.

Nice deal, but it got me thinking... When Windows 7 released, they sold the Pro version to students for only $20 each. Will they be offering the same deal for Win 8? It would be a shame if they didn't.

You guys got jipped, i signed up for the acm membership for $20 and got 4 win7 pro key's and a bunch more for vista and winxp and other office products.

I'm gonna wait and see if my college is going to offer a full version. Otherwise, for Windows 8 I'll buy another system builder license.

The resistance here against Windows 8 is nothing short of amusing.

The resistance here against Windows 8 is nothing short of amusing.

Resistance that would disappear if Microsoft actually gave its "Paying" customers a choice in the UI change.

I find it amusing how most of the Win 8 proponents are smugly slamming down those against it when those against it merely want choice. It is starting to feel an awful lot like the Apple forums around here. I mean How dare we question the wisdom of Steve Jobs..oh I mean Ballmer when it comes to how we use our machines.

There was resistance to Millennium Edition, and look how great it turned out to be.

Passing like everyone else and waiting to see what they do with Windows 9

do not want not even if they gave me the full purchase price metro can go die in a fricking fire

Microsoft, all you need to do is MAKE METRO A FUCKING OPTION... that's it.. just, one, feature.. give people CHOICE.

There was resistance to Millennium Edition, and look how great it turned out to be.

There was a lot more resistance to the ribbon in Office 2007 and look how great that turned out to be. There are legitimate complaints about Metro in relation to keyboards and mice. And there's just as much nonsense about Metro that that's flat out wrong. And even if Windows 8 does well in the marketplace like Office has post ribbon it's not going to stop people from clamoring about how horrible its. At this point I see the debate as largely irrelevant. People can adapt to it can be just a productive overall with it as Windows 7 and get the added benefit of using it on devices without keyboards and mice, at least with apps that support that. That's the key issue about Windows 8 to me, how easy will it be for people adapt.

You really want to encourage pre order bonuses and DLC with shitty OSes?

Can't wait for Windows 9? Pre-order now for $50 and get 5 custom skins and .JPG support!! :eek:

It's not pre-order DLC, they include it because you're upgrading from a Windows 7 version that already has it included. So when you upgrade to Windows 8, it's included for free because you already paid for it in Windows 7.

You guys got jipped, i signed up for the acm membership for $20 and got 4 win7 pro key's and a bunch more for vista and winxp and other office products.

Well acm no longer have that deal do they.

Microsoft, all you need to do is MAKE METRO A FUCKING OPTION... that's it.. just, one, feature.. give people CHOICE.

That's what I've said from the start - but aside from that, right now there's really no reason for me to get 8 no matter WHAT the price is.

Smart move for MS though.........I'm sure they are frothing at the bit waiting to get everyone into their app marketplace for metro.

I'm in for a copy on my secondary PC. Classic Shell gives me a start button/ menu and it automatically boots to the classic desktop after a 5 second Metro Screen. Good enough for me. Forty bucks is a sweet deal. My main PC, used for gaming, is going to stay with Win 7.

Back