Updated 3DFX Driver Released – yes, 3DFX

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
The nostalgists at 3DFX Zone have cobbled together a new video driver that supports Voodoo3 and newer cards on Win2K and XP 32 & 64-bit OSes. Sorry, no Vista support. If you’re still messing around with Voodoo cards, check this driver out. I still have fond memories of gaming on my 1st SLI rig with dual Voodoo2 12mb cards.

After 1.4 release, it's time of new SFFT 1.5 driver. This software is based on Unified Architecture supporting by one package all Voodoo3 family, including Voodoo3 2000, Voodoo3 3000 and Voodoo3 3500 cards, as well as all 3dfx VSA-100 products and so Voodoo4 4500, Voodoo5 5500 and Voodoo5 6000 cards, is on line.

This post reminds me of the VooDoo 2 SLI running Doom 3.

3Dfx, how I miss thee!

yup memories,

world of a difference, they made, now its all about same old stuff, just faster :(

same here "3Dfx, how I miss thee!"

sam

3DFX was always thinking outside of the box. There were so many firsts and incredible innovations by this company. Those were some very exciting times in the 3D and gaming world.

I third the motion: "3DFX, how I miss thee!"

GL Quake...drools!!! (of course with flashblend and polyblend turned off)

hmmm..actually have an old voodoo 3 3000 card somewhere around here....might need to build a glide machine.

I think this article begs the question; Why?
For gamers still running them on older boxes. I wish someone would make some new drivers for the Aureal sound cards. My Monster Sound MX300 kicked ass for 3D audio.

I think this article begs the question; Why?

a lot of hard core gamers still like to play older games....and some games just work better with the equipment that it was designed to work with in the first place.

There was a guy in the FS/FT forum looking for an old AT style case because he was putting together and old 200mhz computer exclusively to play DOS games...not my cup of tea but whatever floats his boat :)

The reason I bought the Diamond Monster 3D Voodoo card and still have it. That whole period in gaming (1997, 1998) was great.

yep, i still remember getting my cherry broke playing games online for the first time...Quake 1 and playing on Mplayer. I really only liked the episode 1 maps...slipgate was my favorite.

Great!

I've still got a Voodoo 3 3000 card. I've got it running in my W2K garage box with an Athlon 1.4 GHZ, 1 gig of old RAM and an 80 gig HD. Runs my old games great and provides excellent desk top image quality. Surf the web, plays my mp3's, Quake when I'm tired of wrenching. What's not to like? The V3 3K was one of the best cards I ever purchased.

Go Voodoo! :p

I still keep my old P2 @ 300mhz w/ 512mb RAM, and SLIed 12MB V2's for playing Quake 2. It's the perfect setup for playing those older games.

Wow... I will have to say this does bring back memories from the good old days. Quake2 still plays better on a V2 SLI rig than anything else...just at a lower res.

Nice.

Sweet.. too bad the new driver doesn't support Win9X.... my retro rig has a Voodoo 5-5500 in it with Windows 98 SE.

No need to have W2K or XP drivers for the Voodoo cards.. no DOS support. And the games that need W2K or XP to run work fine on newer hardware.

God I miss my Diamond Monster II Voodoo 2 8meg. :(

As soon as I came home from the Pomona computer show, they released the 12meg version later that week. which meant of course I was immediately DOWN 8meg when I wet to SLI them:rolleyes:

Voodoo3 3000 was the card that started it all for me. I still have it as well as the box and everything that was inside, haha. I made a post about it around a year ago when I found it while I was going through some things at my parents house.

IMG_1152.jpg

:D

Wow, brings back memories. Back in the day, I wanted to play Falcon 4.0 on my beige PowerMac G3, so my dad did some research and found that the Voodoo 2 could be flashed to work on a Mac. Worked great after that. Falcon 4.0 was a kickass game.

3dfx in 1999: Who cares about image quality, high res textures and 32-bit? Framerate is all that matters!

3dfx in 2000: We have always been about image quality over speed. Our Voodoo5 might be slower than the competition and lack T&L, but we provide better FSAA than the competition, as long as you play your games at 800x600.

I did own a Voodoo, Voodoo3 and Voodoo5 BTW..but I quickly replaced the Voodoo5 with a Radeon 64MB. I kind of regret selling the Voodoo5, though. I could have built a nice ~1 GHz retro-PC around it.

3dfx in 1999: Who cares about image quality, high res textures and 32-bit? Framerate is all that matters!

3dfx in 2000: We have always been about image quality over speed. Our Voodoo5 might be slower than the competition and lack T&L, but we provide better FSAA than the competition, as long as you play your games at 800x600.

I did own a Voodoo, Voodoo3 and Voodoo5 BTW..but I quickly replaced the Voodoo5 with a Radeon 64MB. I kind of regret selling the Voodoo5, though. I could have built a nice ~1 GHz retro-PC around it.

Well in their defense, we were talking about barely acheiving 30 fps back in 1999. So yeah, at that point, FPS was a bigger issue.

I still have a V5-5500 running in a P4 16 box around here. It already has excellent XP drivers. Makes me wonder what makes these better than the Darkmane drivers I am useing now.

excuse me, but even though the voodoo 1 was pretty fast and the first real 3d accelerator it had a huge disadvantage: the image quality sucked ass! when I saw the image quality of the riva tnt I was truly blown away. fast *and* looking good. since then i've stuck with nvidia. no more trying out 10 different drivers. yea, it was the first of its kind, but it sucked. tough, I'm sad I threw it away :(

excuse me, but even though the voodoo 1 was pretty fast and the first real 3d accelerator it had a huge disadvantage: the image quality sucked ass! when I saw the image quality of the riva tnt I was truly blown away. fast *and* looking good. since then i've stuck with nvidia. no more trying out 10 different drivers. yea, it was the first of its kind, but it sucked. tough, I'm sad I threw it away :(
It only did 16-bit color while the TNT did 32-bit color and was more advanced. But I kept my Voodoo 1 paired with my TNT 1 because of several Glide only games and the fact that some D3D and OpenGL games ran better on Voodoo hardware--notably games that used the Unreal engine.

My first system in college: P2 400, 128 megs of ram, Riva TNT, & 3dfx Voodoo 2. I remember having to run a short VGA cord from the Riva card to the Voodoo card and then another VGA cord to my "massive" 17 inch monitor :). Yeah I have been a huge Unreal fan and can remember when I first installed Unreal on that system. I was beyond hooked. In fact this brings back a bunch of memories: Unreal (single player & online), Half Life(single & online), Shogo (single & LAN party games in the dorms), Quake 1 & 2, MechWarrior, oh the list goes on.

Started with Voodoo 1 for me but I remember my favorite system was
Abit BH6
Celeron 300A@450
2*Canopus Pure 3D II 12Meg SLI
1*Canopus TNT AGP card
Diamond Monster Sound PCI Card
Odd that all those companies folded minus intel.

I was thinking about buying a small space heater for my home office. No I think I will just install my old voodoo banshee in my web surfing machine. hehe

a lot of hard core gamers still like to play older games....and some games just work better with the equipment that it was designed to work with in the first place.
The weird thing is that this is a 2K/XP driver. For vintage gaming, nothing really comes close to Windows 95/98. I suppose it'd be handy for multibooting though.

A very niche driver indeed :)

My very first card was a 3dfx Banshee, but that was a Voodoo 2, iirc. No update for me. :)

They were great cards.

My very first card was a 3dfx Banshee, but that was a Voodoo 2, iirc. No update for me. :)

They were great cards.

The Banshee was a Voodoo2 based design with only one TMU and integrated 2D controller (clocked at 100MHz, IIRC).

Back