Unreal Tournament 4/2015

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Blade-Runner, May 2, 2014.

1. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

The only patch of significance that I recall was the titan patch issued 2 YEARS after release. The community was well and truly dead by then....don't know what the fuck Epic was thinking, too little too late.

2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Same.

3. Plague_Injected

Plague_Injected [H]ardness Supreme

The main guys who worked on UT99, 2003 and 2004 didn't work on UT3, and they certainly won't be working on UT4.

Epic should get DE back on board to co-develop.

4. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

Agreed. Digital Extremes deserves all the credit for the goodness that was UT2003. Epic improved things slightly in UT2004 which is the better game. I loved the delayed initial power-up spawns. I am not ashamed to say the next Quake/Doom game incorporate this idea.

5. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

I do not see the point in this nor in any other UT99 sequel. The original is still unbeaten to this day and plays as wonderfully as when it came out.

6. drako

drako 2[H]4U

Perhaps, but I remember when UT2k3 came out, the number one complaint was about the movement (the others being the loss of assault and lackluster maps). People kept playing UT99 and Quake 3, which is why Epic quickly put together UT2k4 to bring people back.

7. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

they should update the announcer to a little box in the corner with billy mays screaming at you

8. Zicro

Zicro [H]Lite

I'm pretty excited about this release, let's hope its EPIC!

9. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I also owned both UT and Q3A. Played them about the same amount. I personally like Q3A far more, but got ridiculous amounts of hours out of both. I'd definitely like to see an updated UT than UT2003/2004/UT3 (not that those were bad in any way) I just have better memories of UT. (refuse to call it UT99 because that's not what it was called when it came out) :p

10. SkilledJerk

SkilledJerk n00b

I wish Epic would bring back the arena shooter genre leading the way with the next unreal game. Nobody makes it any more and these games are awesome.

11. delita

delita [H]ard|Gawd

Same. Unreal was one of the only games that ever made me really WANT to get into competitive gaming back in the day.

12. Blackstone

Blackstone 2[H]4U

Oh give me a break this is going to be some free-to-play micro-transaction laden nonsense. This will not be a AAA title.

NOBODY EVEN PLAYED UT3 on PC. Those days are over.

13. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

[​IMG]

14. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

Yes!! I don't want all the other bullshit vehicles and what not! Give us the original with the UE4 engine! Simpler was better! FPS games have not felt like this since UT99 and Unreal MP. Those were good times. Redo both in the new engine: Unreal 2015 and UT 2015 re-dux! ;):)

15. SnowBeast

SnowBeast [H]ard|Gawd

literally ROFLMAO!! :p

16. Anime_Fan

Anime_Fan [H]ard|Gawd

LMFAO you sir nailed it

17. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

Bollocks. I spent countless hours on UT forums during the UT3 fallout, and I remember no such complaints. The game actually ran quite well by 2007 standards. We had some very significant hardware releases leading up to UT3 in case you don't remember.

If anything, engine/optimization was one of the few aspects of UT3 to garner community praise at release. The game was consolized and unfinished, which led to terrible first impressions, but I think what ultimately killed the game was the player base actually wanting a UT2004 sequel, not the 'return to roots' UT sequel they were asking for (and received, to a large extent).

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  18. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

Do you remember the name of that mod with a real ego and on a power trip who was banning people for daring to express anything critical of UT3 during the beta? I remember the penny dropping when they deleted the feedback threads with literally thousands of posts of constructive comments, at that point it was clear that Epic were not interested in what the community wanted or thought.

19. Oubadah

Oubadah [H]ard|Gawd

Are you referring to EPIC's own boards? I barely ever went there. But you're correct, the mods on that forum did engage in some contemptible 'moderating'. Did them bugger-all good in the long run though.

I remember conspiracy theories running wild when the Beyond Unreal forum went down a little while after the game's launch, and a large volume of scathing threads/reviews happened to be lost.

20. FrEaKy

FrEaKy [H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy

Back when UT99 first came out, I agree, EPIC was really intent on listening to the community, everything was going good, heck I even sent Mark Rein an e-mail or two myself and got replies back from a real person, who was actually Mark Rein himself, even had a job interview for map / content creator ;).

2003 rolled around (UT2K3) and all the sudden the community changed exponentially, forums were junk, and than nothing, everything was gone.

21. zetachi

zetachi Gawd

We just held a VLAN over at PCper sat, played hours of UT2004, Redeemer Arena!!! have not laughed so hard in a video game in a along time. UT2014!!!

22. Mak54291

Mak54291 Gawd

Wall running and double dodging back I hope.

23. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

We always had UT2k4 Instagib tourneys back in the day at LAN parties...last man standing, 100+ lives...talk about an endurance match!

(I won on more than one occasion. ;))

24. Mak54291

Mak54291 Gawd

UT2004 had some good mod too looking like instagib.

25. TheToE!

TheToE! [H] Brewmaster

26. RagingSamster

RagingSamster 2[H]4U

A powerful sniper rifle, you can get a scope for $ 2-6 depending on zoom!
    A plasma rifle will knock your enemies back, but we offer a exploding power up for only $5.00
    The goo gun works great for rapid fire, but you can charge it up and obliterate your enemy for $4.95
    We provide you with this shield gun for free - but you can turn it into a one-hit kill weapon for only $9.95

Oh please let me be wrong!

27. Grimmy311

Grimmy311 Limp Gawd

Lets hope they don't mess it up. UT is one of the best LAN games I've played.

28. Anime_Fan

Anime_Fan [H]ard|Gawd

I'll admit I am excited for a new UT game, at this point everything is just pure speculation on if it will be F2P or what the graphics style is and all that stuff. Until I see actual game play footage from a reliable source I will just be happy a new UT game is in the works and reserve all judgement until then.

29. J Macker

J Macker [H]ardForum Junkie

Oh heck yes!

I loved Hall of Giants!

I just loved all the CTF maps. But Hall of Giants was one of my favorites.

30. FrEaKy

FrEaKy [H] Movie and TV Show Review Guy

CTF-Face is still one of my favorite CTF maps to date, I dont know why, but it was just fun!

31. infin@

infin@ Gawd

CTF-Facing worlds

XD

So...much...sniping!

Exited to hear about a new UT, hoping they can deliver. UT3 was such a disappointment when it launched. Now with the Titan pack patch and old school maps it has slowly been gaining my favour.

32. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

GOD'SlittleSERVANT [H]ardness Supreme

Do people still play UT3? I was thinking about picking it up, only if people still play...

33. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I haven't since... ...well... shortly after it came out, but this thread has seriously got me thinking about installing it. (or really any of the others) I have them all... Might give it a whirl this evening.

34. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

You should receive 10 lashes for just thinking like this.

STOP giving them ideas.

35. GOD'SlittleSERVANT

GOD'SlittleSERVANT [H]ardness Supreme

Let me know if it's still busy!

36. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

Yeah, same here...Might consider giving UT3 another shot if it's still active.

37. ComputerBox34

ComputerBox34 Right in the Box

UT3 is still active on a few different servers that have a variety of custom maps and some weapon mods (classic weapons though). I have recently started playing again and have been enjoying it much more than I expected.

I'm surprised about all the hate towards UT2k3/2k4 - those were the glory days for me. Then again, I was a little too young to play UT99 at the age of 8. :D

ZARK, CTF, Low grav, and high game speed is where it was at for me. Spent much of my elementary school/middle school years playing and never really got tired of it like modern FPS's. I would also dabble with the heavily customized Invasion gametypes as well as Onslaught when I felt adventurous.

38. StaticSurge

StaticSurge Gawd

We still play UT3, we get a full server sometimes on weekends, games during the week. Beer drinkers and hellraisers is the name of the server. UTComp is installed with an FOV mod also tons of custom maps. Server is located in Chicago if you ping well enough to play there, I use the handle dazednconfused, hope to see you in game!

39. BOTA:49

BOTA:49 Limp Gawd

The series that made me fall in love with CTF, and no modern game has done CTF right since. I might reinstall UT3 and jump on for nostalgia one of these days. That game was severely underrated when it came to the gameplay. Here's hoping they do the next one right!

40. caddys83

caddys83 2[H]4U

Look like today is the day of the announcement.

http://kotaku.com/find-out-the-future-of-unreal-tournament-live-right-he-1573545251

When: Thursday, May 8, 2pm ET

What: Future of UT! + UE4 Blueprint & VR update

Who:

UE4 Dev Community + Epic = The Future of Unreal Tournament

Joe "Dr. Sin" Wilcox, UT Sr. Programmer, Steve Polge, Sr. Programmer / UT Project Lead, Stacey "Flak" Conley, UT Community Manager

UE4 Blueprint, VR, Community Spotlight, Live Q&A

Mike Fricker, Technical Director, Michael Noland, Sr. Programmer; Nick Donaldson, Sr. Designer, Alan Noon, Dev Rel Tech Artist

May 8th Agenda

Welcome & news on the future of Unreal Tournament
    Blueprint Discussion
    VR Update - Oculus, Project Morpheus
    Community Spotlight
    Live Q&A

http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine