Unreal Tournament 4/2015

It got better after patches and some of the newer maps were good. But the initial release was short on content and the UI, lack of graphic options and horrible server browser was very awkward.

I hope it will be more like 2004.

The only patch of significance that I recall was the titan patch issued 2 YEARS after release. The community was well and truly dead by then....don't know what the fuck Epic was thinking, too little too late.

The main guys who worked on UT99, 2003 and 2004 didn't work on UT3, and they certainly won't be working on UT4.

Epic should get DE back on board to co-develop.

The main guys who worked on UT99, 2003 and 2004 didn't work on UT3, and they certainly won't be working on UT4.

Epic should get DE back on board to co-develop.

Agreed. Digital Extremes deserves all the credit for the goodness that was UT2003. Epic improved things slightly in UT2004 which is the better game. I loved the delayed initial power-up spawns. I am not ashamed to say the next Quake/Doom game incorporate this idea.

I do not see the point in this nor in any other UT99 sequel. The original is still unbeaten to this day and plays as wonderfully as when it came out.

The movement is comparatively awful and boring in UT99 compared to 2004 and Quake games.
Perhaps, but I remember when UT2k3 came out, the number one complaint was about the movement (the others being the loss of assault and lackluster maps). People kept playing UT99 and Quake 3, which is why Epic quickly put together UT2k4 to bring people back.

they should update the announcer to a little box in the corner with billy mays screaming at you

I also owned both UT and Q3A. Played them about the same amount. I personally like Q3A far more, but got ridiculous amounts of hours out of both. I'd definitely like to see an updated UT than UT2003/2004/UT3 (not that those were bad in any way) I just have better memories of UT. (refuse to call it UT99 because that's not what it was called when it came out) :p

I wish Epic would bring back the arena shooter genre leading the way with the next unreal game. Nobody makes it any more and these games are awesome.

I wish Epic would bring back the arena shooter genre leading the way with the next unreal game. Nobody makes it any more and these games are awesome.

Same. Unreal was one of the only games that ever made me really WANT to get into competitive gaming back in the day.

Oh give me a break this is going to be some free-to-play micro-transaction laden nonsense. This will not be a AAA title.

NOBODY EVEN PLAYED UT3 on PC. Those days are over.

ut99 remake plz

Yes!! I don't want all the other bullshit vehicles and what not! Give us the original with the UE4 engine! Simpler was better! FPS games have not felt like this since UT99 and Unreal MP. Those were good times. Redo both in the new engine: Unreal 2015 and UT 2015 re-dux! ;):)

Bollocks. I spent countless hours on UT forums during the UT3 fallout, and I remember no such complaints.

Do you remember the name of that mod with a real ego and on a power trip who was banning people for daring to express anything critical of UT3 during the beta? I remember the penny dropping when they deleted the feedback threads with literally thousands of posts of constructive comments, at that point it was clear that Epic were not interested in what the community wanted or thought.

Back when UT99 first came out, I agree, EPIC was really intent on listening to the community, everything was going good, heck I even sent Mark Rein an e-mail or two myself and got replies back from a real person, who was actually Mark Rein himself, even had a job interview for map / content creator ;).

2003 rolled around (UT2K3) and all the sudden the community changed exponentially, forums were junk, and than nothing, everything was gone.

We just held a VLAN over at PCper sat, played hours of UT2004, Redeemer Arena!!! have not laughed so hard in a video game in a along time. UT2014!!!

We always had UT2k4 Instagib tourneys back in the day at LAN parties...last man standing, 100+ lives...talk about an endurance match!

(I won on more than one occasion. ;))

We always had UT2k4 Instagib tourneys back in the day at LAN parties...last man standing, 100+ lives...talk about an endurance match!

(I won on more than one occasion. ;))

UT2004 had some good mod too looking like instagib.

A powerful sniper rifle, you can get a scope for $ 2-6 depending on zoom!
A plasma rifle will knock your enemies back, but we offer a exploding power up for only $5.00
The goo gun works great for rapid fire, but you can charge it up and obliterate your enemy for $4.95
We provide you with this shield gun for free - but you can turn it into a one-hit kill weapon for only $9.95

Oh please let me be wrong!

I'll admit I am excited for a new UT game, at this point everything is just pure speculation on if it will be F2P or what the graphics style is and all that stuff. Until I see actual game play footage from a reliable source I will just be happy a new UT game is in the works and reserve all judgement until then.

I want a new UT and a remake of the old Hall of Giants map....

We used to play that at my old tech job against the guys from another tech shop down the road.

Good times....

Oh heck yes!

I loved Hall of Giants!

I just loved all the CTF maps. But Hall of Giants was one of my favorites.

Oh heck yes!

I loved Hall of Giants!

I just loved all the CTF maps. But Hall of Giants was one of my favorites.

CTF-Face is still one of my favorite CTF maps to date, I dont know why, but it was just fun!

CTF-Facing worlds

XD

So...much...sniping!

Exited to hear about a new UT, hoping they can deliver. UT3 was such a disappointment when it launched. Now with the Titan pack patch and old school maps it has slowly been gaining my favour.

Do people still play UT3? I was thinking about picking it up, only if people still play...

I haven't since... ...well... shortly after it came out, but this thread has seriously got me thinking about installing it. (or really any of the others) I have them all... Might give it a whirl this evening.

A powerful sniper rifle, you can get a scope for $ 2-6 depending on zoom!
A plasma rifle will knock your enemies back, but we offer a exploding power up for only $5.00
The goo gun works great for rapid fire, but you can charge it up and obliterate your enemy for $4.95
We provide you with this shield gun for free - but you can turn it into a one-hit kill weapon for only $9.95

Oh please let me be wrong!

You should receive 10 lashes for just thinking like this.

STOP giving them ideas.

I haven't since... ...well... shortly after it came out, but this thread has seriously got me thinking about installing it. (or really any of the others) I have them all... Might give it a whirl this evening.

Let me know if it's still busy!

Yeah, same here...Might consider giving UT3 another shot if it's still active.

UT3 is still active on a few different servers that have a variety of custom maps and some weapon mods (classic weapons though). I have recently started playing again and have been enjoying it much more than I expected.

I'm surprised about all the hate towards UT2k3/2k4 - those were the glory days for me. Then again, I was a little too young to play UT99 at the age of 8. :D

ZARK, CTF, Low grav, and high game speed is where it was at for me. Spent much of my elementary school/middle school years playing and never really got tired of it like modern FPS's. I would also dabble with the heavily customized Invasion gametypes as well as Onslaught when I felt adventurous.

We still play UT3, we get a full server sometimes on weekends, games during the week. Beer drinkers and hellraisers is the name of the server. UTComp is installed with an FOV mod also tons of custom maps. Server is located in Chicago if you ping well enough to play there, I use the handle dazednconfused, hope to see you in game!

The series that made me fall in love with CTF, and no modern game has done CTF right since. I might reinstall UT3 and jump on for nostalgia one of these days. That game was severely underrated when it came to the gameplay. Here's hoping they do the next one right!

Look like today is the day of the announcement.

http://kotaku.com/find-out-the-future-of-unreal-tournament-live-right-he-1573545251

When: Thursday, May 8, 2pm ET

What: Future of UT! + UE4 Blueprint & VR update

Who:

UE4 Dev Community + Epic = The Future of Unreal Tournament

Joe "Dr. Sin" Wilcox, UT Sr. Programmer, Steve Polge, Sr. Programmer / UT Project Lead, Stacey "Flak" Conley, UT Community Manager

UE4 Blueprint, VR, Community Spotlight, Live Q&A

Mike Fricker, Technical Director, Michael Noland, Sr. Programmer; Nick Donaldson, Sr. Designer, Alan Noon, Dev Rel Tech Artist

May 8th Agenda

Welcome & news on the future of Unreal Tournament
Blueprint Discussion
VR Update - Oculus, Project Morpheus
Community Spotlight
Live Q&A

http://www.twitch.tv/unrealengine

Back