Unreal Engine 4 PS4 vs PC

1. Forbes needs a new proof-reader.
2. Exactly what can a PS4 do that a PC with a current gen PC with a 7870 cannot in terms of graphics performance?

Thanks for giving us the marketing fluff of dudes trying to hawk their crap......

Observe the video. There is little difference, if not the ps4 actually looks more clear imo and I'm a PC veteran.

Observe the video. There is little difference, if not the ps4 actually looks more clear imo and I'm a PC veteran.

Lots of that seems to be from the lens timers (or even the video) as the focus shifts happen at different times, and the PC seems to be using more colored lights and different contrast shaders. As time has passed since the original they might have done that for stylistic reasons. :D

I love the computer more than any console, but I see the changing shift. There really is very little to differentiate anymore.

consoles come close to matching mid range pcs, then they will be left in the dirt again as time moves on, repeat.

looks like they just turned up the contrast on the pc one, i guess that makes it technically accurate...

Cant say anything until we see the actual games. What is happening at the moment is Console makers flexing their marketing muscles. Trying to convince the masses that consoles are some high powered machines. Hence they make irrelevant comparisons in the media that try to make consoles look good.

I would wait until the games start rolling out the differences will be pretty apparent then.

Even then, even if i didnt see a difference i would still stick to PC as my major platform for gaming. Reason being:

Freedom,
BC,
Mods.

BC being one of the most important things to me. I have over 200 games on my Steam account alone. Imagine if I had bought those on a console. I would either have to keep rebuying the old console just to maintain my BC, or buy HD remakes or subscribe to one of their upcoming Streaming services. Either way I wouldnt have the choice of having 1 machine where i can have all my games.

In the end Console gaming is just expensive and not the route to take for a enthusiast who would like to build a gaming library and have the freedom to do as they please with the library.

In some scenes the PS4 looks better, and others the PC.

One of the main differences is they clearly turned down the color saturation and incorrectly adjusted the contrast on the PC to make it look worse, its fairly obvious what they did.

My point is when Unreal came out for pc in 98, no way in hell could it have been done on a Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, or PS1. Times have changed, but I'm still waiting for that taxing killer app title for pc that is both good and amazing visually (Crysis 3 is just visual imo).

In the end Console gaming is just expensive and not the route to take for a enthusiast who would like to build a gaming library and have the freedom to do as they please with the library.

Apart from lend copies to people. :p

It's kind of annoying how you can have 250 games on Steam and then the person in the same room can't play one of them wile you do (ok you can but not "legally"), but with the shelf of console titles you can. I wish they'd fix that. :D

My point is when Unreal came out for pc in 98, no way in hell could it have been done on a Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, or PS1. Times have changed, but I'm still waiting for that taxing killer app title for pc that is both good and amazing visually (Crysis 3 is just visual imo).

This is where the problem is.

Like Watch Dogs that is coming out, if that was done properly that would never make it to a console.

All it shows is an engine that runs well on both platform. We have no idea if it's really utilizing the hardware to it's fullest capacity so it doesn't prove anything. All it shows is just the capability of the engine.

And judging from the past, these stuff doesn't always make its way into actual video games. We've seen so many impressive Epic tech demo but the games doesn't look anywhere near as good.

I like the PC version better, but it is amazing how far consoles have come in the last 10-15 years.

Just in case some peeps hadn't caught up to it yet, Forbes/sites are just blogs, it isn't actually part of Forbes magazine and thus it doesn't have proper editorial (nor quality).

And well, we had already discussed what they showed on that article over here:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1753930

Within that thread there was a link to a better article comparing the pc vs the ps4 from Head2Head:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-unreal-engine-4-playstation-4-vs-pc-screenshot-comparison/

Nintendo 64 was already 2 years old by then but it could run games like doom and duke nukem ports pretty well..abiet with postage stamp resolution.

Nintendo 64 was already 2 years old by then but it could run games like doom and duke nukem ports pretty well..abiet with postage stamp resolution.

Yes, so it wouldn't look like the pc version of Unreal. My point, because both the PS4/PC versions look 99.9% identical.

Actually I see some pretty obvious differences between the PC and PS4, PC looks better.

These are some of the spots you can pause to see,

• 14 Dynamic shadows and lighting on PC, more rubble on ground on PC.
  • 20 Better lighting and more detail in the cave.
  • 30 Use of depth of field in the background on PC.
  • 1:31 You can see the background and floor on PC is more detailed than PS4, also notice the dynamic shadows in the scene for the PC.
  • 2:25 Again, the background on PC is more detailed + there are more particle effects on screen for the PC.

And of course, the PC only footage of the volcano was very impressive and was not shown on PS4. This leads me to believe that the PS4 version would not look as good, the PS4 only footage didn't look that impressive.

Also the biggest difference, I'm sure the PS4 version is running at 30fps or lower, while the PC can run at any FPS.

Last edited:
One of the main differences is they clearly turned down the color saturation and incorrectly adjusted the contrast on the PC to make it look worse, its fairly obvious what they did.
Different color spaces. The PS4 is likely running in a YUV color space; the PC in a typical RBG color space.

I find it odd how so few people seem to be able to discern 30 Hz from 15 Hz. The PS4 does very well, but "little difference"?

The PC version looked far better than the PS4 version. There was more detail overall, higher density particle effects, a much better frame rate, more objects, use of depth of field, better color/contrast, more intensive lighting effects.

Even comparing the PC-only and PS4-only fullscreen scenes, the PC scene is a practically cinema quality while the PS4 scene has no weather at all and discernible polygons abound. The difference is huge.

The real takeaway from the video is that at least we can have all those bells and whistles on our PC versions even with the devs working on console versions too.

The PC version looked far better than the PS4 version. There was more detail overall, higher density particle effects, a much better frame rate, more objects, use of depth of field, better color/contrast, more intensive lighting effects.

Even comparing the PC-only and PS4-only fullscreen scenes, the PC scene is a practically cinema quality while the PS4 scene has no weather at all and discernible polygons abound. The difference is huge.

The real takeaway from the video is that at least we can have all those bells and whistles on our PC versions even with the devs working on console versions too.

Sorry guys, imo, you're not quite with it. I was there when GLquake got up and running for the first time. I just don't see much difference except a slight variation in color output and lighting, maybe. Framerates even seem similiar though the ps4 version probably is running at a lower framerate, though that could be tightened up before release?. And to the guy that said pc can run at any framerate...true. But would it take a titan or two or three? That's the question. I'm no advocate of consoles though so make no mistake I'd take the pc version regardless.

Well, through the terrible video compression it looks like the PC demo had DOF, and tessellation, and some nicer AA turned on, while the PS4 demo (Which, let's fact it, was probably run on a dev kit, or even just a PC) did not. It's way to early to be judging the strength of the PS4 as a platform with this.

I'm hoping that the PS4 and Xbox Next are as strong as possible, because all the major games are going to pretty much get the lowest common denominator treatment for the next 7 to 10 years.

Digital Foundry posted a really nice article accompanying this video like 2 months ago. Did no one bother to read it back then?

And to the guy that said pc can run at any framerate...true. But would it take a titan or two or three? That's the question. I'm no advocate of consoles though so make no mistake I'd take the pc version regardless.

The gpu on the PS4 is about as strong as a GTX470. They'll be able to squeeze more out of it since they'll optimize for it but it's already mid tier in today's market.

It'll be 2+ years before we'll see a game come out on the PS4 that is able to implement the graphics in the demo. In 2 years PC users will have GTX880's while the PS4 will remain static.

I honestly see difference in artwork or design more than difference in tesselation or physics. Both look pretty even to me, but oh well, time will tell.

I was much more interested in the 4K / Titan tri-SLI benchmarks that came up afterwards.

This is so funny. It amazes me that we keep having the same discussion time and time again.

Yes, the PS4 will rival or surpass a top end PC for gaming in late 2013 (maybe not?). But that's always the case with a new console. They always come out including the next generation of CPU and GPU and their architecture being singular, it allows programmers and developers to make game run better than they do on the infinite number of configurations that games need to work on the PC platform.

But the PS3 came out in late 2006. As it is, THIS thread is talking about a very similar comparison. By next year a PC will likely surpass the PS4, and then 7 years from now ? Come on. This is how it always happens.

As far as non-hardware advances ? Wow, big deal. Whatever the new PS4 can do about "streamlining the game experience", if it isn't hardware related and gamers ACTUALLY like it (yet to be determined), there is nothing that stops Valve or EA or whomever from duplicating that on Steam or Origin, or some new gaming hub.

This is so funny. It amazes me that we keep having the same discussion time and time again.

Yes, the PS4 will rival or surpass a top end PC for gaming in late 2013 (maybe not?). But that's always the case with a new console. They always come out including the next generation of CPU and GPU and their architecture being singular, it allows programmers and developers to make game run better than they do on the infinite number of configurations that games need to work on the PC platform.

But the PS3 came out in late 2006. As it is, THIS thread is talking about a very similar comparison. By next year a PC will likely surpass the PS4, and then 7 years from now ? Come on. This is how it always happens.

As far as non-hardware advances ? Wow, big deal. Whatever the new PS4 can do about streamlining the game experience, if it isn't hardware related and gamers ACTUALLY like it (yet to be determined), there is nothing that stops Valve or EA or whomever from duplicating that on Steam or Origin, or some new gaming hub.

But architectures are changing and devs are going more toward streamlined, x86 interfaces and hardware. So this might be a generation where pc/ps4/infinity look eerily similiar. Just a hunch. Res and framerate will always go to pc but what if devs start including a FXAA type aa option in a games options menu?

But architectures are changing and devs are going more toward streamlined, x86 interfaces and hardware. So this might be a generation where pc/ps4/infinity look eerily similiar. Just a hunch. Res and framerate will always go to pc but what if devs start including a FXAA type aa option in a games options menu?

Not to mention X64 has really caught on.

Though, to be fair, most people buy laptops, which are mostly unupgradable computers. :D

True, but at least my Steam library will work on the laptop I replace it with; so on and so forth. ;)

Plus Epic Games touting the "supremacy" of the PS4 when they've failed miserably time after time again with PC games... yea, no motive what-so-ever behind those ridiculous claims.

Not to mention X64 has really caught on.

When did that happen? I don't think there's a single game that is geared towards x64 systems. It's just the sad reality we live in currently. This will surely change with the new consoles, though. Good thing.

Mark Rein and Epic can spout their lies as much as they want, though they did have to drop SVOGI out of their new engine. Carmack was very excited about SVO, too. He and Olick even showed cool demo... but they know hardware isn't here and will not be available for years to come.

Maybe next decade, guys. Yay for mobiles.

Well, through the terrible video compression it looks like the PC demo had DOF, and tessellation, and some nicer AA turned on, while the PS4 demo (Which, let's fact it, was probably run on a dev kit, or even just a PC) did not. It's way to early to be judging the strength of the PS4 as a platform with this.

I'm hoping that the PS4 and Xbox Next are as strong as possible, because all the major games are going to pretty much get the lowest common denominator treatment for the next 7 to 10 years.

This is my thought...however, being that the hardware in the PS4 is more on a common ground with PC's I see consoles reaching that pinnacle of graphics much more sooner than current consoles. The hardware simply isn't "unknown" anymore...developers will know right off the bat how to properly code and use all the assets where with something like the Cell in the PS3 they didn't.

Sorry guys, imo, you're not quite with it. I was there when GLquake got up and running for the first time. I just don't see much difference except a slight variation in color output and lighting, maybe. Framerates even seem similiar though the ps4 version probably is running at a lower framerate, though that could be tightened up before release?. And to the guy that said pc can run at any framerate...true. But would it take a titan or two or three? That's the question. I'm no advocate of consoles though so make no mistake I'd take the pc version regardless.

No. Just no. If the only differences you saw are color output and lighting then you need to watch the video again. There were blaring differences. Also as far as power needed it's well known that ALL the Unreal 4 demos that have been shown are running on a SINGLE GTX 680. Rigs like mine will already be able to run next-gen games at max or near max settings.

This. PS4 looks good, but the PC version is already running smoother with more effects on a single GTX 680...what's that say about next-gen games 3-5 years down the road? More of the same...

Unreal was easily done on the Dreamcast (Unreal Tournament was released on it). N64 and PS1 are obviously not even in the same category...PS1 had a 33mhz CPU and like 1-2MB of RAM.

All it shows is an engine that runs well on both platform. We have no idea if it's really utilizing the hardware to it's fullest capacity so it doesn't prove anything. All it shows is just the capability of the engine.

And judging from the past, these stuff doesn't always make its way into actual video games. We've seen so many impressive Epic tech demo but the games doesn't look anywhere near as good.

I don't think this will be the case. Unreal 4 Editor is looking to be quite the friendly app. I can honestly see a lot of the effects being used this time around than they were with Unreal 3 and current gen consoles. Next-gen simply has the power to push them. I think when they first showed UE3 off they were running like dual 6800 Ultras in SLI.

Who knows, we'll see...next-gen certainly looks awesome and I simply can NOT wait to see what a game like Uncharted will look like. However, I have no doubt that they are already outclassed by current PC's (as is evident by the video) and that they will hold us back a lot sooner than current gen did.

I think this is where the problem comes in with PC graphics. Unlike you, I easily saw differences between the video (as mentioned above). Better lighting, more particles, better use of fog, etc. It wasn't something I needed to even look for. At a quick glance, I could tell the PC version looked better.

But I'm guessing for most people, they're probably like you and don't really see details. The difference between ports long ago was that it wasn't just details which looked different, but the entire game. But now you have 2/3's of the game which looks the same, and they miss the other 1/3. And for most people, that's probably good enough.

I think this is where the problem comes in with PC graphics. Unlike you, I easily saw differences between the video (as mentioned above). Better lighting, more particles, better use of fog, etc. It wasn't something I needed to even look for. At a quick glance, I could tell the PC version looked better.

But I'm guessing for most people, they're probably like you and don't really see details. The difference between ports long ago was that it wasn't just details which looked different, but the entire game. But now you have 2/3's of the game which looks the same, and they miss the other 1/3. And for most people, that's probably good enough.

Nah you're wrong man. Like I said, I was here from the onset of this thing. I can easily tell the differences and I even freeze-framed it and besides slight variations the basic look is the same on both games. The particles and the lighting, and the physics. Differences are very slight nowadays but you keep telling yourself there's big differences. There is a reason Mark Rein says this is "the perfect gaming pc" and that these guys haven't made a good pc game in years. Back in 98, there WAS a big difference when you loaded up a game in 16 bit vs 32 bit color. There WAS a big difference between a Rendition Verite and a Voodoo image quality wise. And so on and so on.

They cherry picked the footage. The pc still rules.

Perhaps next time consoles. Doubt it though.

I love the computer more than any console, but I see the changing shift. There really is very little to differentiate anymore.

As i have said for years... PC's aren't dieing, Consoles are simply becoming PC's and the PS4 has basically carved that in stone now..

Told you so....year after year after year...

True, but at least my Steam library will work on the laptop I replace it with; so on and so forth. ;)

Plus Epic Games touting the "supremacy" of the PS4 when they've failed miserably time after time again with PC games... yea, no motive what-so-ever behind those ridiculous claims.

Not really, well, half really. Their own games haven't done so well, with the last (though only part made by them) doing pretty badly. But, they do produce the engine (and take a % of the profits) for a large % of PC games.

Part of the PS4 relationship might be from the previous dealings they've had with Microsoft: as an exclusive producer. They may want to distance themselves and get into Sony's good favors.

Or he might just be excited about a whole market of 8gb vram/ram systems. Though some people around here have that amount, it can hardly be considered normal for mainstream PC users, which is the actual market they have to target. People have kind of got comfortable where they are now, and most the WoW/LoL/TF2 players run of seriously low end stuff. Although a console is ever going to match a Titan or SLI cards, nor do most people, and by having a bunch of people with 8 "core"/7870 systems not "Intel HD graphics and 4gb" does raise the bar in a way (for normal people), and make the % of the systems capable of more, higher than it was before. :D

Nah you're wrong man. Like I said, I was here from the onset of this thing. I can easily tell the differences and I even freeze-framed it and besides slight variations the basic look is the same on both games. The particles and the lighting, and the physics. Differences are very slight nowadays but you keep telling yourself there's big differences. There is a reason Mark Rein says this is "the perfect gaming pc" and that these guys haven't made a good pc game in years. Back in 98, there WAS a big difference when you loaded up a game in 16 bit vs 32 bit color. There WAS a big difference between a Rendition Verite and a Voodoo image quality wise. And so on and so on.

Nah you're wrong man. Are you watching different videos than what are linked in this thread? The PC version is EASILY the better looking of the two with the PS4 version missing a lot that the PC version has...if you've been playing games for as long as you say and seem to be a "pro" you should see the difference as well.

PS4 has lower frame rate (noticeable), less lights, no fog/shadows on fog, the door for whatever reason looks weird, no bouncing light, particles don't look as nice nor are they as numerous or last as long as they do on PC, etc. Come on man...:rolleyes:

Back