Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

So if I buy this monitor I can plug the new Xbox 360 in and get HDTV resolutions correct? (If I plug it in via component inputs)

Ghostface Killah said:
So if I buy this monitor I can plug the new Xbox 360 in and get HDTV resolutions correct? (If I plug it in via component inputs)

componant doesnt support 1080p

I think you can do 720p via componant(I believe im doing that)

For highest resolution 1920x1200(1080P) You'd have to go DVI/HDMI

Damn it.. ok so there is NO NOISE PERIOD right? Zero? zilch? none? nada?

Like I said..my LCD emits constant, yet unnoticeable buzzing noise when I sit in my chair. If I stick my ear in the back closely to the LCD...I hear the buzzing noise.

If there are suppose to be NO NOISE period...ok I guess I'll hit for the second..replacement...

Kevlarman, I'll desperately wait for your Nokia's decibel test. :p

Got mine today....couple of questions...

VGA mode works perfect. DVI mode works perfect in Windows, but when the computer is booting up, the post screen has rolling white lines. But it disappears as soon as Windows starts.

Also, I'm having a hard time getting my Geforce FX5200 to display at 1920x1200. i tried adding it as a custom resolution but it always defaults to 1600x1200.

I'm guessing this FX5200 might simply not be enough? If so, what AGP card under $100 do you guys recommend that will handle DVI fine? Thanks.

Make 7UP Yours said:
Got mine today....couple of questions...

VGA mode works perfect. DVI mode works perfect in Windows, but when the computer is booting up, the post screen has rolling white lines. But it disappears as soon as Windows starts.

Also, I'm having a hard time getting my Geforce FX5200 to display at 1920x1200. i tried adding it as a custom resolution but it always defaults to 1600x1200.

I'm guessing this FX5200 might simply not be enough? If so, what AGP card under $100 do you guys recommend that will handle DVI fine? Thanks.

i have a geforce 4 and my 24" is hooked up to the dvi with 1920x1200, smooth running and no noise

K10 said:
i'm pretty sure that ALL 2405FPWs have the noise. you have to put your ear close to the back to hear it.

That's nice to hear...my first 2405FPW had some unbearable high pitched noise.. the second one I got still has noise but only noticeable when I put my ear in the back..

Should I keep it? ...or hit for the 3rd?

K10 said:
i'm pretty sure that ALL 2405FPWs have the noise. you have to put your ear close to the back to hear it.

already put my ear against it and nothing
its been on at 1920x1200 for 7 hours now

Ok, I just checked my monitor and I do have the noise.

It's coming from the left side of the monitor (as you look at it normally), sorta near the card reader.

The noise emanating from my monitor is very, very low. I can't hear it unless my ear is right up against the grill. Under normall usage, the noise of my computer fans is all I can hear.

This is after several hours of being on. After turning the monitor off, the noise disappears. It returns immediately upon turning it back on, however.

EDIT: I tried checking the sound pressure level with my phone, but the noise is less than 50db, which is the lowest my phone can detect.

Seriously, if your monitor is making noise so loud that it overpowers your computer, there's something wrong with it.

Kevlarman said:
Ok, I just checked my monitor and I do have the noise.

It's coming from the left side of the monitor (as you look at it normally), sorta near the card reader.

The noise emanating from my monitor is very, very low. I can't hear it unless my ear is right up against the grill. Under normall usage, the noise of my computer fans is all I can hear.

This is after several hours of being on. After turning the monitor off, the noise disappears. It returns immediately upon turning it back on, however.

EDIT: I tried checking the sound pressure level with my phone, but the noise is less than 50db, which is the lowest my phone can detect.

Seriously, if your monitor is making noise so loud that it overpowers your computer, there's something wrong with it.

I see..

So this faint noise is prominent with 2405FPW..

I would be happy with the 2nd replacement as long as the noise is not noticeable under normal usage.

I hope the noise really stays that way. *crossing my fingers*(I'll have to wait for tomorrow afternoon as it is really too cool at night right now)

Edit: yea my first LCD had NOTICEABLE noise. Heck I didn't even know about this issue until I heard the noise from it and searched "2405FPW noise" in google.

Edit2: How do I send back the old one? Do I have to pay for the shipping fee?

What Noise? I am physically touching the side of the monitor with my ear. No Noise.. I tried side/side top and back no pitch/noise. Is this a specific month. Mines a July Production. Perfect! I tell ya Perfect! :D

alot peeps have reported loud buzzing or nosie that preety somat like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from thier 2405's not all are affected but a select few are

I think all these monitors make noise; some just a lot louder than the others.

Try this: use your monitor like your normally would for a few hours so that it's nice and toasty. Turn off your computer and anything else in the room that makes noise.
Put your ear up against the grill on the back of the monitor, right besides the card reader.

Now, I've noticed that the monitor has to be displaying some kind of signal for the noise to show itself. Just keep pressing the input select button and you should hear a very faint buzzing.

i have rev A01 and i hear a faint buzzing in the back near the card reader if i stick my ear right up to it. i can't hear it if i'm just sitting in my chair though so it doesn't bother me.

spacey said:
i have rev A01 and i hear a faint buzzing in the back near the card reader if i stick my ear right up to it. i can't hear it if i'm just sitting in my chair though so it doesn't bother me.

SEriously I must be death. Cuz I physically put my ear near the card reader (while the monitor was on/off) nothing? AM I Deaf :confused:

So does anybody know how to send the faulty one back to Dell? :confused:

Btw: I have July production too so manufacture date doesn't matter.

K10 said:
card readers don't make noise. :) put your ear on the top-back part of the monitor where the grill/vent is located.

I did top near the vents, side near the memory slots.. nothing. Ok Ill just call myself lucky and say im deaf.. :) (I only put my ear near the memory slots because someone else claimed the noise was coming from there) lol :p

Jasonx82 said:
I did top near the vents, side near the memory slots.. nothing. Ok Ill just call myself lucky and say im deaf.. :) (I only put my ear near the memory slots because someone else claimed the noise was coming from there) lol :p
No, you're not deaf. My panel also doesn't exhibit any weird noises, not even up close. I think some people might have a defective panel if the noise is that loud...in either case I'd ask Dell to send another one. :)

1c3d0g said:
No, you're not deaf. My panel also doesn't exhibit any weird noises, not even up close. I think some people might have a defective panel if the noise is that loud...in either case I'd ask Dell to send another one. :)
I agree, all four of my replacements had no buzzing.. Im lucky in that way But they all had dead pixels.. well except for the last one.. (perfect one) :cool:

Mine is also a revision A01, made in June of '05.

As I said above, I have the very slight buzzing, and I have to have every device in my room turned off before I can hear it, and even still, I have to press my ear right up against the grill.

My guess is that the buzzing is coming from the switchmode power supply inside the monitor. Maybe the high frequency inverter driving the backlight?

Funnily enough, you get a similar noise coming from large CRT TVs, especially when they've been on for a few hours and are warm to the touch.

BTW, what color/brightness/etc settings are you guys running? I know some of you were complaining that the factory settings were way off, but I don't have an eye for this kind of stuff (it seems fine to me), so I just wanted to see what everybody else was messing with.

Also, any good sites with 1920x1200 widescreen wallpapers?

Hey guys,

I just plugged this behemoth in. It's HUGE. Quite an upgrade from my 17 inch samsung. I already ran a dead pixel tester and there's absolutely no dead pixels. Also, i placed my ear against the monitor, and yes there IS a faint whining noise coming from BOTH sides of the monitor. My take is that it's the backlighting. But honestly, i have to press my ear against the side of the monitor to even hear it. Honestly guys, i think we're just all being anal at that point. It's not like i'm gonna be enjoying this thing with my face pressed up against the side of it. It's just way too big too be that close :)

I received mine this week as well, it has bets my 2005 on better blacks, no dead pixels, and I don't hear the humming noise at all, but it could be I am half deaf from all of the shooting I have done over the years and being a Redleg for 6 years ;)

sonicvibe said:
Hey guys,

I just plugged this behemoth in. It's HUGE. Quite an upgrade from my 17 inch samsung. I already ran a dead pixel tester and there's absolutely no dead pixels. Also, i placed my ear against the monitor, and yes there IS a faint whining noise coming from BOTH sides of the monitor. My take is that it's the backlighting. But honestly, i have to press my ear against the side of the monitor to even hear it. Honestly guys, i think we're just all being anal at that point. It's not like i'm gonna be enjoying this thing with my face pressed up against the side of it. It's just way too big too be that close :)

No we are not being anal. Some of the LCDs have UNBEARABLE high pitched noise.

The first one I had emitted that high pitched noise and drove me crazy. I didn't even know about this issue until I noticed the noise after playing a couple hours of CS:S and searched the word, "2405fpw noise."

The second one...my replacement...built date July 2005 has that low humming noise in the BOTH sides of the panel like yours. But like you said..it is NOT noticeable under normal usage and that's ALL it matters.

Those people who have the problem similar to the first panel I got....return it back to Dell before that LCD makes you to nuts.

Justinkoko said:
No we are not being anal. Some of the LCDs have UNBEARABLE high pitched noise.

The first one I had emitted that high pitched noise and drove me crazy. I didn't even know about this issue until I noticed the noise after playing a couple hours of CS:S and searched the word, "2405fpw noise."

The second one...my replacement...built date July 2005 has that low humming noise in the BOTH sides of the panel like yours. But like you said..it is NOT noticeable under normal usage and that's ALL it matters.

Those people who have the problem similar to the first panel I got....return it back to Dell before that LCD makes you to nuts.

This is pretty much my story, too. As I posted in another thread, my first one, after a little bit of use, started going EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I was able to hear it over my computer, refrigerator, TV, Ps2, and window air conditioning unit. The noise came from the top vent, on the same side as the power button.

I RMA'd it for this reason. The new one has a very faint low rumbling noise all across the top vent, but I can't hear it at all from 4 inches away or more. I'm happy with it.

So has it been established that all of the 2405s have a certain level of whine? Mine has a whine, but oddly enough, I can only hear it when my head is a certain distance and angle from the screen. Does this sound normal? The thing has pretty even backlighting as well as no dead pixels that my eye can see (I refuse to check for them, ignorance is bliss), so I would prefer to keep it, but not at the expense of my ears. I have about a week left on the 21 day return policy, should I RMA it and see if the next one is better? Anyone have the whine go away after a few days of owning it? Thanks all.

Dude, Im going crazy.. Im trying to hear the whine But I cant.. I dont really care anymore cuz if i have to try this hard to hear the whine, Then it really isnt a problem.. :p But so far as of yet no whine...

Swishbish33 said:
So has it been established that all of the 2405s have a certain level of whine? Mine has a whine, but oddly enough, I can only hear it when my head is a certain distance and angle from the screen. Does this sound normal? The thing has pretty even backlighting as well as no dead pixels that my eye can see (I refuse to check for them, ignorance is bliss), so I would prefer to keep it, but not at the expense of my ears. I have about a week left on the 21 day return policy, should I RMA it and see if the next one is better? Anyone have the whine go away after a few days of owning it? Thanks all.

I had my whiny one for a week before the UPS guy showed up to take it back to Dell, and the whiny noise never went away.

We've established that almost all 2405s make some noise, but you shouldn't be able to hear it unless you put your ear up right next to it.

Seriously, if you can hear it from where you sit, over the noise of your computer, send it back.

Ok here is MY problem..

I got my replacement..great there is no noticeable noise....YES..

But how do I send it back.. according to the tech support from Dell...there is suppose to be a return air bill STICKER that I can just slap on my old box.

But guess what.. THERE IS NO STICKER THAT I CAN SEE..(sorry for the cap I'm really pissed off right now) :mad:

Wtf do I do now...

Justinkoko said:
Ok here is MY problem..

I got my replacement..great there is no noticeable noise....YES..

But how do I send it back.. according to the tech support from Dell...there is suppose to be a return air bill STICKER that I can just slap on my old box.

But guess what.. THERE IS NO STICKER THAT I CAN SEE..(sorry for the cap I'm really pissed off right now) :mad:

Wtf do I do now...

Yep, I had the exact same problem - they promised me a sticker, and whatta ya know, no sticker.

I called customer support until I got someone who spoke english, explained the situation, and they immediately said "OK, I'll get someone from UPS to come with a sticker and pick it up at your doorstep tomorrow morning." So I didn't have to pay for shipping or any of that.

Do you guys notice choppiness when playing games? I just tried CS Source and no matter what settings or resolution it seems choppy when moving the mouse around.

You know giving the 2405 is own subsection might not be a bad idea. Or at least a Dell Monitor subsection.

I posted this in another thread but thought it might be more appropriate here.

My 2405 when going from windows xp booting screen (where line scrolls across) to desktop does a full screen green squiggly lines for about a slit second - looks kinda like when it loads the driver and changes resolution.

Anthony else have this problem? It doesn't do it anywhere else.

I must be fucking insane but I was browsing last night and I started looking at pictures of peoples 2405fpws and I cried in stupidity and sold Hyundai L90D+ today. I managed to beg my way through a Dell lady salesmen and I got one coming for $850!!!

Can't wait but I hope I don't have dead pixels!!

What is the best price that someone has gotten lately? If I could get one for $779 or less I would order now. I hate to pay more since they were just at that price.

Back