Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

I ordered on the 25th, and I got my email today saying that it shipped yesterday on the 28th. I ordered using 2nd day shipping, so that would put delivery on a Saturday. What carrier do they use and do they deliver on Saturdays?

Make 7UP Yours said:
I ordered on the 25th, and I got my email today saying that it shipped yesterday on the 28th. I ordered using 2nd day shipping, so that would put delivery on a Saturday. What carrier do they use and do they deliver on Saturdays?

I received mine via DHL - and I don't believe they deliver on Saturdays except for Priority Overnight.

I ordered 7/20, it shipped 7/21, and I received it the following Monday 7/25. I went for the free (w/ coupon code) ground service.

davidlem said:
I received mine via DHL - and I don't believe they deliver on Saturdays except for Priority Overnight.

I ordered 7/20, it shipped 7/21, and I received it the following Monday 7/25. I went for the free (w/ coupon code) ground service.

Yeah no deliverys saturday.. I had mine ship this morning (overnight) will be here monday.. :(

I have a quick question about the 24". I received mine a week ago, and whenever I maximize the screen while playing DVDs the picture gets completely screwed up. The image is very distorted. I know it's because the DVD isn't scaling properly... but I'm wondering if any of you had the same problem and/or know how to fix it.

When the screen is not maximized, the picture quality looks perfect. When I maximize the window the image gets stretched across the screen in an out-of-proportion way...

Thanks
Warborn

Try using Media Player Classic with FFDSHOW as a decoder and scaler. You can find both a source forge, and it does a much better job of scaling than just using the windows media player.

The prices are crazy right now, you guys are really lucky for getting it under 800 now, I paid almost 1k for mine after discounts and some refunds due to complaints of multiple defective units. Great deals! :D

Just got my 3rd 2405 after 2 replacements, 1st one had backlight issues, 2nd one had component rolling lines, 3rd one seems perfect. The difference between all of them is the 3rd on is refurbished. It seems perfect so im keeping it, backlight seems great, though slight bleed on lower left it doesnt bother me, dont notice any dead pixels i checked. I'm happy and probably will never buy dell again after all this returning. Just remember you probably have a better chance getting a good refurbed one than a good new one. New just means beta test. Sadly all the monitors i recieved have been revision A. But heard dell is switching to LG? not sure but doubt itll make a difference since samsung seems to look better than the current dell.

davez82 said:
Just got my 3rd 2405 after 2 replacements, 1st one had backlight issues, 2nd one had component rolling lines, 3rd one seems perfect. The difference between all of them is the 3rd on is refurbished. It seems perfect so im keeping it, backlight seems great, though slight bleed on lower left it doesnt bother me, dont notice any dead pixels i checked. I'm happy and probably will never buy dell again after all this returning. Just remember you probably have a better chance getting a good refurbed one than a good new one. New just means beta test. Sadly all the monitors i recieved have been revision A. But heard dell is switching to LG? not sure but doubt itll make a difference since samsung seems to look better than the current dell.

Congrats on finally getting a good unit! Took me three tries as well. And I too, will probably not buy from Dell again. In my opinion this has been a true case of "You get what you pay for." The hassles and time spent through this entire deal is not really worth it for me. Plus the fact that they kept dropping the price too fast and too low, so in a sense, I never got a good deal. All is said and done now so I can only say oh well, but next time I'll go back to the overpriced Sony again. :cool: :p :D

Yeah, I consider myself lucky as well. I got a June A01 version and I don't have any stuck/dead pixels, humming noise, red lines w/composite input, and only very minor backlighting bleeding. In fact, unless I turn out all the lights, cover up the numerous LEDs in my room, and make the screen display a blank screen, I don't notice it at all. :D

Greetings fellow [H]ardOcp'ers and 2405FPW owners!

Got my LCD Monday, and it's just AMAZING. I can't see any dead pixels, the backlighting is even and bright, and I haven't heard anything close to a high pitched whine, etc.

I just finished my Apple G5 case mod, and the new PC is pretty sweet. Still haven't figured out how to get the power light on the power button to work, but other than that... it's just SWEET! ;)

Can't wait to get all the drivers installed, the case setup correctly under my desk, and get some games installed to see what this setup can do. :D

MERKMAN said:
Greetings fellow [H]ardOcp'ers and 2405FPW owners!

Got my LCD Monday, and it's just AMAZING. I can't see any dead pixels, the backlighting is even and bright, and I haven't heard anything close to a high pitched whine, etc.

I just finished my Apple G5 case mod, and the new PC is pretty sweet. Still haven't figured out how to get the power light on the power button to work, but other than that... it's just SWEET! ;)

Can't wait to get all the drivers installed, the case setup correctly under my desk, and get some games installed to see what this setup can do. :D

Sounds sweet! Post pics when you are done!

Ruffy said:
possibly not, Still uknown

problem with doing that is 33% coupon expires before that(least for georgia it does)

In any case i would rather pay 39 dollars more ot get it sooner than continue waiting for the damn thing. I already got it for 814, and that price was fine by me

I'm in GA and I ordered mine right after the tax-free period began for $779 with free 2nd day shipping. I called their tax number, and after looking at my order, they assured me that even though the website shows the tax, when the charge appears on my credit card it will be tax free, and if it isn't for some reason I can call and they'll credit the amount back. I was told that they are well aware of the tax-free in GA and will honor it, it's just that they didn't change their website to reflect it. I'll get mine on Monday... hopefully it'll be problem free or else it's going back. This is too much money for there to even be one defect. Goodbye to ViewSonic forever. I don't know about Dell service, but it can't be worse than ViewSonic.

To those that have or had the 2005, how does the back lighting on the 2405 compair? Is it darker or the same?
What I mean is when it is blanked, how dark are the blacks compaired to a 2005? That is my main issue with the 2005, of course it is my first LCD.

My 2405 will be delivered monday, it currently is sitting not 2 miles away at UPS :(

I didn't have a 2005FPW before this one (just a Dell 1504FP), but as far as blacks go the 2405FPW is probably the best LCD you'll find that displays the darkest blacks. The contrast between black and white is absolutely amazing. I think you'll be very pleased with it. :)

I was looking at the Dell site, and it says that you need a 6800 256mb for 1900x1200. I only have a 6800 128mb. Should I just stop looking at this monitor now?

Thank you.

I've received my 2405 a few weeks back, in which the backlight is unsatisfactory, so i've gotten Dell to replace it twice, the first replacement was bad, worse backlight leakage plus 8 dead pixels.

My second replacement was ok on the backlight and no pixels at all, i was so happy for the fews days thinking that i've gotten the perfect display finally, but now i've noticed another problem with it. When displaying grey images (which is what i'm using it for most of the time in Lightwave modeler), I can notice wobbling or rippling effect on the lower half of the screen. And furthermore it is noticably darker in that area. I was guessing it could be the CCFL being faulty in that area.

Has anyone encounter this problem? try putting a full screen of grey (128) or lighter grey (192), and observe for a while, see if anyone could notice this rippling effect.

Has anybody else had problems displaying DVDs fullscreen with the 24"? I've tried messing around with the control panel settings, the nvidia display settings (I have a 6800GT), and the settings for both the dvd software that comes with the gcard and windvd 5. No luck so far. Thought force bob or force weave would clear things up but no luck so far. Any suggestions? Basically when I make any widescreen dvd play on fullscreen the image gets very distorted.

Warborn, have you tried playing DVD with other player, like Media Player Classic (not the one that comes with Windows) , you can use the numpad to stretch the playback in fullscreen and adjust aspect ratio to yr liking, If that is what you meant by distorted. Hope it helps.

eiter try VLC or media player classic. or if you have an xbox try XBMC :)

of master and commader upscaled to 1080i, not perfect but preety good, think upscaling via pc should improve the pic much better than this
DSC00504i.jpg

Sgt_Strider said:
I'm just wondering, how do I enable the 1280x1024 mode with black bars on this monitor?

while running in 1280x1024 (you can only change the setting when running at a lower res than native) go into the main menu and go to image settings, towards the bottom you can set it to 1:1

Kind of off topic but..

What kind of carrier does Dell use to ship out replacements?

FedEX?USPS?UPS?

My 2405 shipped out on UPS, but I have gotten things from them shipped by DHL so I am not sure they exclusively use one courier.

Mine was DHL with local delivery by FedEx too...however in this kind of shipping scenario the guy doing the last stretch is more up to DHL than Dell and may vary locally.

July 2005....replacement... OMG THERE IS STILL BUZZING NOISE....

Should I shoot for the second? or just return this monitor ALLTOGETHER! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Justinkoko said:
July 2005....replacement... OMG THERE IS STILL BUZZING NOISE....

Should I shoot for the second? or just return this monitor ALLTOGETHER! :mad: :mad: :mad:

I had 3 replacements none of them had buzzing, They were May/June/May months..

only dead pixels.. :(

Jasonx82 said:
I had 3 replacements none of them had buzzing, They were May/June/May months..

only dead pixels.. :(

Put you ear in the top RIGHT part of your monitor.

Turn your brightness to at LEAST 35..

Play CS:S or whatever to HEAT UP the panel.

Do this for an HOUR.

Now turn your speaker off alltogether..

Hear the noise? If not, put your ear back again to hear whether it got louder or not.

How the hell am I getting all these faulty UNITS!!

Justinkoko said:
Put you ear in the top RIGHT part of your monitor.

Turn your brightness to at LEAST 35..

Play CS:S or whatever to HEAT UP the panel.

Do this for an HOUR.

Now turn your speaker off alltogether..

Hear the noise? If not, put your ear back again to hear whether it got louder or not.

How the hell am I getting all these faulty UNITS!!

idk how you keep getting all of em, my 2405FPW has been perfect since i got it

Ok I just got my final 2405FPW Dell Replacment and its perfect badass!!!!! its a MFG Date of July!! no dead pixels! awesome! no buzzing IM so happy!! :D :D :D

Is it just me, or are the viewing angles on this thing not great? The colors seem to wash out just to the right and left of center on dark colors when I'm looking dead on center of the screen, for instance the black in the background while I type this, and it's easy to see when playing UT2004, the edges of the screen are washed out. Is mine defective? Is this the compromise for a screen of this size? Thanks for any answers.

Jasonx82 said:
Ok I just got my final 2405FPW Dell Replacment and its perfect badass!!!!! its a MFG Date of July!! no dead pixels! awesome! no buzzing IM so happy!! :D :D :D

Is there absolutely NO buzzing noise whatsoever or is there a slight buzzing noise when you put your ear in the back TOP RIGHT side of the monitor?

It seems like there is some buzzing noise in my monitor but they do not get louder. They are unnoticeable when I look at my monitor from my chair.

So...do you guys have ZERO NOISE PERIOD?

I'ev not noticed any noise coming from my monitor, but I'll check more closely when I get home from work.

I also have a decibel meter built into my Nokia 5100, and I can see if there is indeed any sound coming from the monitor.

Just ordered one of these from Dell home. Listed as $959 on the Dell Home site right now. Asked the sales rep for his best price and without any haggling he gave it as $879.00 with free 2 day shipping. Dang it, I was planning on waiting but I couldn't resist! Anyway, how is this thing for watching regular definition programs from a Dish network satellite box throught component hookups? And how do xbox games look in 720 and 480? Really looking forward to getting this screen.

Thanks,
Soons

Just checked right now No Noise.. MY mOnitor is perfect!! Only took 4 exchanges.. :eek: :rolleyes:

Kekekekek

Well I got mine today After alot of issues with UPS

It came single taped with VGA plug on

Heres a sample pic

IMG_5425.jpg

I despretely need Logitech z5500's now :( Dont know if i like its placement, i can place it on the corner edge of the desk but id en up at an angle. What I want is a monitor arm but their expensive

Issues.

2 Dead pixels. Very hard to see as their so small. One near Upper middle, one near bottom left. Both don't matter to me as its really hard to see them. They're not stuck in any color, just off.

No noise so far.

No real backlighting issues(I've tried setting all black, all looked uniform)

Current RGB Settings. RGB all at 35. Brightness at 0. Digital Vibrance at Low. 1920x1200 60hz.

This monitor is sex.

I played some Xbox games via componant and it was beautiful. No issues so far

Back