Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

CalKenneth said:
I've had several monitors where the dead pixels showed up AFTER a few days of use. I've also read those articles that said that dead pixels are a manufacturing problem and that they would be there from the beginning, but my experience tells me otherwise.

But in any case .... I just got mine set up. HOLY COW THIS THING IS HUGE! I'm driving my laptop on it using the d-sub connection and it is surprisingly SHARP at 1920x1200. I would have expected some ghosting on the text at this resolution but none so far... time to hunt for bad pixels. ;(
I noticed the same thing. My 2001FP was kind of crappy at 1600x1200 using the analog connection. I tried the same video card on the 2405FPW and was amazed at the clarity of the image. They not only did great with the change to the next gen PVA panels they also improved the supporting electronics. This is such a great deal. Congrats to all you lucky mofo's that managed to get this for under $1000 shipped. I wasn't that patient but then again, my display has zero defects so I won't complain. Enjoy people!

RyanR100 said:
Visual Studio.NET is incredibly useful now on this beast and I found myself working MUCH faster than I ever had before.
QUOTE]
Same here. I'm learning but the interface is easier to deal with. I can have toolboxes, help and code on the screen without having to scroll all over the place.

stevenj said:
Question about USB:
I connected a external USB hard drive on monitor usb....but nothing ???? I should connect my external hard drive to my pc and that's okay....you know why about that ?
Did you connect the monitor's usb port to the pc?

Martin64 said:
Joined the 2405FPW wagon, ordered one through a friend in the US. :) $879 free next day delivery. Should make for a good gaming monitor, the 30" Apple is a bit difficult to push good framerates with in some games. :)
The Apple 30" is difficult to run with most video cards! I can't believe that I was actually saving up for one of those with a video card. I wonder if anyone else will come out with cheaper/better 30" PC displays.

There still seems to be a few people asking about 6600gt's and Xbox's so i'll address those.

I am running an MSI 6600GT AGP and it runs the 1920x1200x32 no problems whatsoever, I didn't even have to install the monitor driver for it to re-adjust itself from my 2005fpw's max setting. I have also played quite a bit of CS:S and it looks great at 1680x1050, so the scaling on this works great. If you are worried about having a midrange card and pushing the native resolution in gaming its not much of a problem.

Xbox, I have my xbox connected using the Component monster cables and it looks fantastic at 1080i and 720p on my dashboard ;). I have seen some artifacting with some games and some games just don't support 480p but it is definately better than my 2005fpw using the composite connections.

One other thing I haven't heard anyone comment (or i've been to lazy to read because this thread has exploded in the last few days) is the PiP functionality. The one thing that bugged me about the PiP on my 2005fpw was the fact that to get a comfortable viewing area you needed to have it take up 1/4 of the screen because the other settings were too small to get anything useable out of it. The 2405fpw handles this much better imo because the largest setting doesn't take up nearly 1/4 of the screen and I can still see everything perfectly and get work done on my desktop at the same time.

Hope that helps some of you looking for answers.

BigBalla said:
Anybody confirm a low whirring sound coming from your 2405. It sounds almost identical to my Sony TV. Is there a cooling fan in this monitor perhaps? Also, top of monitor casing gets warm. Neither is a big issue, but curious.

Okay, I turned off my laptop this time and listened - you're right, there is actually a very low whirring sound when the monitor is on. It doesn't sound like a fan or anything but more like electronic feedback noise. At least it's not a high-pitched whine, which is what I had with some of the 2001FPs.

Edit: The low whirring sound is most noticeable from the right-rear of the monitor. (Where the media card readers would have been if they were on the right hand side of the monitor).

Anyone else? Turn your computer off and let it run in one of the Self-Test modes and let us know if you hear it.

CalKenneth said:
Okay, I turned off my laptop this time and listened - you're right, there is actually a very low whirring sound when the monitor is on.
10 to 1 that it's the integrated power supply that causes this. Hopefully it's not too bad, since I'm thinking to buy one too, but I appreciate my low-noise system...

megmond said:
10 to 1 that it's the integrated power supply that causes this. Hopefully it's not too bad, since I'm thinking to buy one too, but I appreciate my low-noise system...

Well, it's definitely faint enough that when I had my laptop on I couldn't hear it over my laptop.

But it's loud enough if you stick your head next to the right-rear of the laptop (where the power is plugged in) you will hear it over other ambient noise.

I think it's probably the integrated power as well - but would like to get some more confirmation from others who can test it in a quiet room while the monitor is on/in Self-Test mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionXP
Can someone post the width and height of the screen only and the actual width and height of the viewable area.

Thanks

Anyone?

Width of the screen including bezel: 22in
Height " " :Just shy of 14.5"

Width of the viewable area: Just shy of 20.5"
Height of the viewable area: 12.75"

I just hooked up the 2405 I was planning to return and was thrilled to see that it looked terriffic from the moment I turned it on. No color, brightness or other display problems at all were seen. I did adjust the Digital Vibrance setting to mid-range (DV is turned off by default) and the colors practically leapt from the screen into my eyes. Spectacular!!

So far, I've found zero dead/stuck pixels. Gameplay is smooth at 1280x1024 and the highest settings in Riddick: Butcher Bay. The Cathedral level in HL2 at 1920x1200 was stunning, although some tweaks are in order to improve performance. I'll try Far Cry and Doom 3, next. I'm running the 71.84 Nvidia driver set, right now. Movies aren't a concern to me. I've got my new 40" LCD TV for that!!

I do notice the screen door effect when running a few bright colors (green, especially) during the pixel test. I caught the SDE when leaning to within a couple of inches of the screen, but it never appears during games, apps, or even with a wallpaper displayed.

No humming or any other noise has caught my attention.

I haven't seen the right-side sag reported by others, at least not yet. I noticed the same sag on my 2001FP. The 2405 appears to sit 1-2 inches lower than my 2001. I like the 2405's position on its stand much better.

I see why so many love their 2405. It's a helluva monitor at a terrific price. I can't see how any other 23"-24" comes close, especially when you factor in the price.

I'll post more comments as I become better acquainted with my 2405. I'm still deciding whether to keep it because I'm also considering an Inspiron XPS2. But, this 2405 is awfully tempting!! :D

Here's a picture of my current setup...

atlwriter said:
I do notice the screen door effect when running a few bright colors (green, especially) during the pixel test. I caught the SDE when leaning to within a couple of inches of the screen, but it never appears during games, apps, or even with a wallpaper displayed.

No humming or any other noise has caught my attention.

Can you stick your ear behind the right-rear and listen there? You might need to turn off ambient noise (Speakers, computers) and have the screen in self-test.

I also noticed the SDE when I moved windows around and when I glance up quickly at the upper left of the screen.

Question about USB:
I connected a external USB hard drive on monitor usb....but nothing ???? I should connect my external hard drive to my pc and that's okay....you know why about that ?

should I connect the upstream connector (monitor) to PC downstream connector before to use some device ?

atlwriter said:
Hmmm...don't know if I can pop off one ear and stick it behind the other. :p Maybe you could rephrase? ;)

How about if you put your entire head behind the screen, near the right-rear where the power is plugged in? Do you hear a low hum/buzz? :)

You _should_ be able to hear it over ambient noise.

stevenj said:
Question about USB:

should I connect the upstream connector (monitor) to PC downstream connector before to use some device ?
I noticed a USB cable in my 2405's box. I'm guessing that you need to use it to connect the monitor to your PC before attaching any USB devices directly to the monitor.

I realized that my 2405 didn't include a CD. Is there anything on it that's really needed? If so, I probably could download the CD contents from Dell.

CalKenneth said:
Width of the screen including bezel: 22in
Height " " :Just shy of 14.5"

Width of the viewable area: Just shy of 20.5"
Height of the viewable area: 12.75"

Thanks CalKenneth.

atlwriter said:
I haven't seen the right-side sag reported by others, at least not yet. I noticed the same sag on my 2001FP. The 2405 appears to sit 1-2 inches lower than my 2001. I like the 2405's position on its stand much better.

Haha! I can see the sag from your pictures! Whip out a ruler and measure the distance from your desk and the right corner and then the left corner. If the distance to the right corner is less than the left corner, you have sag!

chrism said:
Haha! I can see the sag from your pictures! Whip out a ruler and measure the distance from your desk and the right corner and then the left corner. If the distance to the right corner is less than the left corner, you have sag!
Wrong, that's the perspective of my camera. Look at the entire picture. Everything is skewed left or right.

But, thanks for the brilliant idea about how to measure sag. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

atlwriter said:
Wrong, that's the perspective of my camera. Look at the entire picture. Everything is skewed left or right.

But, thanks for the brilliant idea about how to measure sag. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think it's safe to say you didn't measure it. :)

And it is very, very nice. It had two stuck pixels, I thought, but one went away after a little massaging, and the other turned out to be a bit of crud stuck to the surface (hope I didn't scratch the screen trying to clean it -- it is still a little smeared, guess I need to get some kind of LCD cleansing spray or something...)

The colors look excellent to me, though I can't say I'm well-versed in the matter. It did look even better after lowering the gamma a bit as recommended by others. I had the 2005 for a week, and I don't feel the colors are necessarily less vibrant on this screen. Contrary to my expectations, it doesn't seem as overwhelmingly bright to me out of the box as the 2005, which was overly bright for my taste until I lowered it (no doubt if I raise it from the default on this one, it can get hella bright).

The size is fantastic -- put it comortably far away, and my apps are there for simultaneous viewing. Can't wait to use VS.NET on this like you other guys are describing -- I expect it will be excellent.

The screen does sag slightly but noticeably to the right as some others are reporting -- I haven't yet tried the fix to this that was mentioned earlier.

Vid card considerations -- as far as I can tell, the MSI 6600GT AGP is working absolutely fine at 1920x1200x32 over DVI. If I take a window and drag it quickly around the screen, I do see some jagging of the vertical lines, but I only noticed it when looking for it. I also tried the UT 2004 demo at 1920x1200 also, and it looks fine at normal settings (I'm not a big gamer, though, I must admit). One thing I did see was my whole screen blank out for split second at a random moment on my desktop, but I think I saw that once or twice with my prior monitor and the 2005, so must be the new vid card (not to get too off topic, but any thoughts on this? could it be my borderline Dell power supply for the new vid card? should I be concerned about the card?)

All in all, this thing is beautiful and for $860 plus tax, an excellent buy. Looking forward to years of excellent video from this thing.

--Adam

chrism said:

Jeez, it's almost like you WANT him to have something wrong with his monitor. In between measuring sag and listening for barely audible sounds with your ear stuck on the back panel, when are you guys having time to enjoy it? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pictures alwriter. I have the same speakers (Klipsch THX). Now I have something to compare it to.... it's not so big ;)

BTW what video cards are you guys using for this LCD? Would the nVidia 6800 Ultra OC suffice at playing games in it's native resolution?

I did mearsure alwriters pics with my screen calipers. I can't see any sags. Both sides are at 22px here. But I mean come on, couple millimeters off is not such a big deal.

Gather 'round, children and see for yourself.

Here's a pic of the left side...

And, here's the right side...

If you look at each side where the vertical edge begins, the tape measure reads 3.5"...look to where the horizontal edge begins and you'll see just about 3 3/8." I'm more than satisfied by the absence of sag on my 2405.

But, it you wanna fire up Photoshop, digitally enhance what you see, and demonstrate that I'm wrong by the whopping margins of 1/32" or 1/48", feel free to spend your Saturday doing so, mouseketeers! For you conspiracists who just absolutely know that I'm holding one end higher with a foreign object or an unseen hand to fool the unsuspecting masses, I've only got one comment...the donkey dies at sunset!!

FusionXP said:
Thanks for the pictures alwriter. I have the same speakers (Klipsch THX). Now I have something to compare it to.... it's not so big ;)

BTW what video cards are you guys using for this LCD? Would the nVidia 6800 Ultra OC suffice at playing games in it's native resolution?
Yeah, the Klipsch look pretty good next to the 2405, don't they?

My 6800 GT OC ran UT2004, HL2 at full 1920x1200 with no trouble. Riddick has a 1920x1200 mode that looks really cool, but the game ran best at 1280x1024. I couldn't run it at a playable level with my 2001FP and its 1600x1200 resolution, either. Now that I've finished playing with my tape measure, I'll give Doom 3 a try. ;)

atlwriter said:
If you look at each side where the vertical edge begins, the tape measure reads 3.5"...look to where the horizontal edge begins and you'll see just about 3 3/8." I'm more than satisfied by the absence of sag on my 2405.

But, it you wanna fire up Photoshop, digitally enhance what you see, and demonstrate that I'm wrong by the whopping margins of 1/32" or 1/48", feel free to spend your Saturday doing so, mouseketeers! For you conspiracists who just absolutely know that I'm holding one end higher with a foreign object or an unseen hand to fool the unsuspecting masses, I've only got one comment...the donkey dies at sunset!!

Well, mine sags about 1/8" to the right and I'm not the only one who has said so. I thought it was a consistent design flaw in this model but maybe not. Has anyone else taken these measurements?

The reason I'm interested, is to see if it's worth returning. If everyone has this problem, then there's no point in returning it.

chrism said:
Well, mine sags about 1/8" to the right and I'm not the only one who has said so. I thought it was a consistent design flaw in this model but maybe not. Has anyone else taken these measurements?

The reason I'm interested, is to see if it's worth returning. If everyone has this problem, then there's no point in returning it.
I never denied that the 2405 sagged. I simply pointed out that mine does not.

I also mentioned that my previous 2001FP did sag, a bit. It never bothered me because a simple little tilt upwards took care of the problem until it sagged again a few days later.

If my 2405 had a noticeable sag, it would definitely bother me.

atlwriter said:

Wait a minute. I just lowered my stand as low as it can go, and each side is a little over 4" from my desk. How could yours be only 3.5"? Something is odd here. Does Dell put these LCDs on different stands?

Can some other people here measure the distance between the corners of their LCDs and their desk with the LCD stand lowered all the way? It only takes about a minute to do this. You don't need to take pictures.

chrism said:
Wait a minute. I just lowered my stand as low as it can go, and each side is a little over 4" from my desk. How could yours be only 3.5"? Something is odd here. Does Dell put these LCDs on different stands?
Don't know about that one, but mine's at its lowest point and it's definitely 3.5." The only other possibility is perhaps the angle of your monitor. Mine is set at just about perpendicular to the desk (i.e., a right angle). Maybe yours is tilted up higher than mine?

Why doesn't Dell just offer a version of the 2405 with one of those bubble levelers built in to the top of the monitor?

chrism said:

This post is not intended to add fuel to the fire, but my 2405 is down 1/4" on the right side. I'm a good 3.75" on the left and just a hair over 3.5" on the right with my panel almost perpendicular to the desk. It doesn't bother me at all, but I thought I'd pass it along to you.

I may take the stand apart and check the swivel-stop positioning some day, but for now I'm lovin the vast screen real estate!

Slick

orama said:
Why doesn't Dell just offer a version of the 2405 with one of those bubble levelers built in to the top of the monitor?

Because we'd all return the plain 2405FPWs and wait for prices to fall on the 2405FPW Bubble Leveling Pro edition?

atlwriter said:
Don't know about that one, but mine's at its lowest point and it's definitely 3.5." The only other possibility is perhaps the angle of your monitor. Mine is set at just about perpendicular to the desk (i.e., a right angle). Maybe yours is tilted up higher than mine?

Doh! It's the angle. I thought I had it all the way down, but I didn't. I can get it below 3" by turning the angle down.

Back