Unofficial 2405FPW Thread (Now that its been announced)

Hi guys like I said in my earlier message I just got mine last night and it has no dead pixel/subpixels.

Now I have a question from what I read before and my own exp. if the lcd has dead pixels u see them right away when you get it.

But lately on some threads people say that they got dead pixel apearing after a period of time has passed. Now I tought that dead pixels are there from manufacturing so you are not supposed to get them later on?

My package is lost. UPS said call dell. Do I have to contact there general number, or can I contact the sales person that sold me the monitor? Anyone know?

Just call the sales rep. You bought it with him at least so you're his responsibility.

Just got my second 2405. Another glitch...the base is cracked at the back where the silver ring intersects the left side of the black post. I'd just swap out the base with the other 2405 I'm returning, but UPS already took it. I'm just gonna return this one for a refund and move on. I'm sure the 2405 is a nice monitior, but I think I'm going to buy an XPS2, instead. I got a look at some close-up photos and the glossy screen may not be as bad as I thought.

atlwriter said:
Just got my second 2405. Another glitch...the base is cracked at the back where the silver ring intersects the left side of the black post. I'd just swap out the base with the other 2405 I'm returning, but UPS already took it. I'm just gonna return this one for a refund and move on. I'm sure the 2405 is a nice monitior, but I think I'm going to buy an XPS2, instead. I got a look at some close-up photos and the glossy screen may not be as bad as I thought.

Sorry to hear that. I had a problem too when I got it I tried to rotate it and it wouldnt move and then when it did I heard a big crack sound. it seems ok now tough don't know what that was.

Anybody else experience that?

bench261 said:
try breaking it in, i pushed down on it for quite awhile every now and then...its getting better...my g/f kept tellin me it was slanted in to opposite direction i thought it did....then i did the can thing and it supproted her view...so i thought maybe its in my head cuz i always saw it the other way....btw i used sumthin small to roll on top of the panel itself like a bottlecap

EDIT

also, maybe one spring or shock is stronger than the other.....i investigated the panel and there r 4 screws...i tried loosening it and making it even..it didnt work, maybe if i just take the swivel apart or screw the metal plate higher on one side...if u look at it ull see what im talkin about

I thought mine was slanted a tad too. I just pushed on it a bit and it's sittimg pretty level now, but I never swivel it to portait mode. I can see where this would be a issue if you swivel it back and forth.

dnenciu said:
Sorry to hear that. I had a problem too when I got it I tried to rotate it and it wouldnt move and then when it did I heard a big crack sound. it seems ok now tough don't know what that was.

Anybody else experience that?

You have to make sure the stand is fully extended up before you try turning the LCD. I used to get a crack sound too when the stand wasn't extended. When I rotate the LCD with the stand fully extended, it doesn't make any noise.

Mcklain said:
Got another one.

Anyone know how to add custom res in win xp??

I installed the drivers for the 2405 but it doesnt give me 1680/1050 resolution in the slider of the diplay properties.

I dont wanna use 1680/1050 in windows, but I think this is the reason why I cant play at 1680/1050 in counter strike source. They give me 2 resolution options in 16:10 wich are 1280/768 and 1920/1200.

How can we play source in 1680/1050??

Mcklain

I have the same card., 1920x1200 is already in the list. reisntall your dribvers or try cat 5.3.

dnenciu said:
Hi guys like I said in my earlier message I just got mine last night and it has no dead pixel/subpixels.

Now I have a question from what I read before and my own exp. if the lcd has dead pixels u see them right away when you get it.

But lately on some threads people say that they got dead pixel apearing after a period of time has passed. Now I tought that dead pixels are there from manufacturing so you are not supposed to get them later on?

So guys regarding my earlier post any of you got dead pixels on the screen that were not there when you got it?

Riptide_NVN said:
There is also another imperfection out there that I've seen on more than one monitor. My 2000FP had one and so does this 2405FPW. It is a pixel, or at least it sure looks the size/shape of one and is in the right spot, but it is gray in color and shows up best against a white background. Looks like a speck of dust or imperfection in the coating but it's not - it's definitely underneath the coating.

Looks just like this, only mine didn't move around like this chap's.
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1027351874&postcount=5

That actually looks like a spec of dust inside. I had one of those and pushed on it a bit and it went away.

grdh20 said:
I have the same card., 1920x1200 is already in the list. reisntall your dribvers or try cat 5.3.

No, I do have 1920/1200 but I dont have other scaled down resolution. I would like to try 1680/1050.

Mcklain

I just bought this new dell computer with the FX6800GTO video card and I wanted to play HL2 (and other games) at the 16:10 aspect. I realized I couldnt set XP to 1680 X 1050 resolution. Dont bother calling tech support they dont know anything. Here is how i got it to work....

1. Download and use rivatuner (www.guru3d.com/rivatuner)

2. Run program and under the "Target Adapter" group box click the little customize button. Select the second icon from the left (tool tips says, "low-level refresh rate settings")

3. It will promt you saying that the EDID doesnt match the monitors screen resolution and asks you if you wish to ignore the max resolution stored in the EDID. Select yes.

4. Click the Get EDID info button and then change the maximum display resolution to 1680 x 1050 (should say 1280 x 1024). Finally hit the create button and name the file.

5. go to your display properties -> settings and click the advanced button and click the advanced button

6. select the adapter tab and click the update driver button. Update the driver from a specific location and select the rivatuner install directory

7. reboot the computer and go back to the advanced display properties. Click the adapter tab and click the List All Modes... button. Select the 1680 X 1050 resolution.

Who are you guys contacting for replacements? Technical support or your sales rep? If Technical support, what phone number are you using? I'm used to buying from Home and Home Office only so I'd call the general 1800-624-9897 number...

If your rep speaks english, I would contact him first. At least he will understand what you are saying and get you to the right department.

bandit390 said:
My package is lost. UPS said call dell. Do I have to contact there general number, or can I contact the sales person that sold me the monitor? Anyone know?
mine was lost as well, i called up dell and they didnt do anything

that was yesterday

i called up today and bitched and they started offering me free stuff like cameras and printers but i already have very good ones so i told them just to send me a logitech v500 mouse

call 1800-999-3355

id put the extension 5772621 in and you will get antara and then ask to speak to paul

thats who i dealt with so he should be able to help you

Mr_Bucket said:
mine was lost as well, i called up dell and they didnt do anything

that was yesterday

i called up today and bitched and they started offering me free stuff like cameras and printers but i already have very good ones so i told them just to send me a logitech v500 mouse

call 1800-999-3355

id put the extension 5772621 in and you will get antara and then ask to speak to paul

thats who i dealt with so he should be able to help you

I just spoke with cu care, they made a new order # for next day. Sad part is I won't be receiveing it till monday. I then called the sells rep and he confirmed it.

bandit390 said:
I just spoke with cu care, they made a new order # for next day. Sad part is I won't be receiveing it till monday. I then called the sells rep and he confirmed it.
you didnt get anything else for free?

yeah i dont know when im getting mine either

Holy shit.... I ordered from andy at 3pm yesterday and it was here at 10am in the morning. Amazing service!

Anyone had any experience with XBOX? How does it look with like FIFA 2005.

Also, playing at the 1650 Res.... is that considered scaled down? Does it still look good?

Can someone post the width and height of the screen only and the actual width and height of the viewable area.

Thanks

Feel free to flame if this has been asked (but I don't think it has) how wide is the stand... judging from pictures, and trying to compare to monitor width/rulers... I get anywhere between 10 and 14 inches :/ while we're at it, why not the stand depth too :p

Hi guys I had a question I saw some people saying that they got dead pixel/subpixels after a couple a days of use and they say the dead pixels where not there when they got it.

Now from what I know dead pixels are a manufacturing problem and they should not apear latter on they should be there from the begining.

Can any people that had these problem share their stories.

dnenciu said:
Hi guys I had a question I saw some people saying that they got dead pixel/subpixels after a couple a days of use and they say the dead pixels where not there when they got it.

Now from what I know dead pixels are a manufacturing problem and they should not apear latter on they should be there from the begining.

Can any people that had these problem share their stories.

I've had several monitors where the dead pixels showed up AFTER a few days of use. I've also read those articles that said that dead pixels are a manufacturing problem and that they would be there from the beginning, but my experience tells me otherwise.

But in any case .... I just got mine set up. HOLY COW THIS THING IS HUGE! I'm driving my laptop on it using the d-sub connection and it is surprisingly SHARP at 1920x1200. I would have expected some ghosting on the text at this resolution but none so far... time to hunt for bad pixels. ;(

KevlarGibs said:
Feel free to flame if this has been asked (but I don't think it has) how wide is the stand... judging from pictures, and trying to compare to monitor width/rulers... I get anywhere between 10 and 14 inches :/ while we're at it, why not the stand depth too :p

Stand is just shy of 12 inches wide and about 8 inches deep, including the little nub on the back that you have to push in to adjust the height.

So, what have you California guys been receiving? Mine is an Revision A01 manufactured February 2005.

Pros:

1) Very large and 1920x1200 resolution
2) No dead pixels (even after a few days)
3) Very little backlighting and it's even
4) Appears to have little or no ghosting in the FPS I tried

Cons:

1) Color is washed out. The 2405FPW color doesn't look as good as my 2005FPW, so the 2005FPW is now the gold standard for me in this department. I've made some adjustments on the 2405FPW (maybe not enough) but it still doesn't compare well with the 2005FPW (which I've made no adjustments on).
2) Very sensitive to the angle you're looking at it. Colors will become more washed out at different angles. Because it's so large, you will always notice this at the edge of the screen.
3) Sags a little to the right.

I wish they used the same technology on the 2405FPW that they used on the 2005FPW, because the backlight issues with the 2005FPW are irrelevant to me, because I don't use it in the dark.

I'll probably keep the 2405FPW because for $903 shipped, it's still a good deal. But this isn't the greatest LCD ever. It's just a good deal on a very large LCD.

chrism said:
Pros:

1) Very large and 1920x1200 resolution
2) No dead pixels (even after a few days)
3) Very little backlighting and it's even
4) Appears to have little or no ghosting in the FPS I tried

Cons:

1) Color is washed out. The 2405FPW color doesn't look as good as my 2005FPW, so the 2005FPW is now the gold standard for me in this department. I've made some adjustments on the 2405FPW (maybe not enough) but it still doesn't compare well with the 2005FPW (which I've made no adjustments on).
2) Very sensitive to the angle you're looking at it. Colors will become more washed out at different angles. Because it's so large, you will always notice this at the edge of the screen.
3) Sags a little to the right.

I wish they used the same technology on the 2405FPW that they used on the 2005FPW, because the backlight issues with the 2005FPW are irrelevant to me, because I don't use it in the dark.

I'll probably keep the 2405FPW because for $903 shipped, it's still a good deal. But this isn't the greatest LCD ever. It's just a good deal on a very large LCD.

I agree the colors look washed out if you don't set it up properly because the screen is way to bright (I run mine at 50%). But if you play with it especially go in the display settings and lower the gamma it looks really good. You have to play with it and definetly don't use the default srgb setting thats way to ugly.

You most definitely must turn the gamma down on the monitor, the factory settings are way to bright. Once you have the colors finely tuned the monitor looks fantastic running both productivity apps and games.

Half Life 2 is incredible on this screen.

WoW required me to up the aliasing to 4x. Fortunately, I didn't take that much of a FPS hit.

Visual Studio.NET is incredibly useful now on this beast and I found myself working MUCH faster than I ever had before.

I am very happy that I waited for this monitor and did not buy the Apple 23 inch. For $860, this screen is an exceptional value.

bandit390 said:
Like what? A dell sticker? lol

But... no
they offered me a free printer or a digital camera but i needed neither so i asked for a $60 wireless laptop mouse, logitech v500

Question about USB:
I connected a external USB hard drive on monitor usb....but nothing ???? I should connect my external hard drive to my pc and that's okay....you know why about that ?

should I connect the upstream connector (monitor) to PC downstream connector before to use some device ?

I have a question about videos in portrait mode. I'm using a GT6800 OC card and have rotated the display 90 degrees using the nForce driver rotation feature to view my screen in portrait mode. Everything works well except playing movies which give me a blank picture. I've tried WMP, BSPlayer and ZoomPLayer. All give empty picture with any video format.

Do I need special software to rotate the screen in order to view movies in portrait view?

Edit: Figured out the problem. I updated from 71.20 to 71.74 officially released today. Somehow in my driver settings, "treat digital display as HDTV" was selected. I unchecked that. That appears to have been the issue (unless it was the driver upgrade that did the trick) Movies play in portrait mode now.

Anybody confirm a low whirring sound coming from your 2405. It sounds almost identical to my Sony TV. Is there a cooling fan in this monitor perhaps? Also, top of monitor casing gets warm. Neither is a big issue, but curious.

No noise here with my 2405FPW.

I have noticed a *slight* screendoor appearance, but only when I'm moving my Firefox window around. Try this: Position your Firefox window on the upper left quadrant of the screen. Drag the task bar around to move the window. Keep your eye on the "back" arrow. If you're using the default theme, you will notice a slight screendoor effect there during the move.

I also recommend for those of you who are fighting with the gamma settings to run the Nokia Monitor test. There is a Brightness and Contrast section that will guide you to set your brightness levels at an appropriate level.

http://www.construnet.hu/nokia/Monitors/TEST/monitor_test.html

You can also run the color test to help you find bad pixels.

I get pretty bad tearing on full screen video. If i turn hardware overlay on with the 66.93 drivers its looks really really bad, with it off, tearing. With the new 71.84s i get bad tearing with hardware overlay off also... but with it on, the really bad picture is fine, but the video freezes every so often. Any ideas... I would like to use hardware overlay, but dont want the video to freeze with the 71.84s or look like it has lines going through it with the 66.93s. I have a 6800GT OC.

The lines? looks like you have a similar problem as me (check the 2005 interlace/scanlines thread i started - maybe one of those solutions may help)

steviep said:
The lines? looks like you have a similar problem as me (check the 2005 interlace/scanlines thread i started - maybe one of those solutions may help)

Yes, turning off hardware overlay fixes that problem, but then i get the really bad tearing.

Joined the 2405FPW wagon, ordered one through a friend in the US. :) $879 free next day delivery. Should make for a good gaming monitor, the 30" Apple is a bit difficult to push good framerates with in some games. :)

Back