UnclePauly09

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand, I really do. My comment was directed towards the person about my post. That post implied that Paypal doesn't mess around and someone would get a criminal record. If criminal matters do come of this it won't be from PayPal.

Do you really believe that Paypal will not pursue charges on someone who tried to steal more than a grand? That would be a terrible precedent for Paypal.

Paypal isn't the authorities. No matter how angry you get, they will pursue this person financially but not legally.

Do you really believe that Paypal will not pursue charges on someone who tried to steal more than a grand? That would be a terrible precedent for Paypal.

Paypal is not a DA. They are not a lawyer. They can seek financial claims and charges, and that is it. They have zero authority to bring criminal charges.

This is worth posting, unclepauly was active on overclock.net last on Dec. 7th, and had offered me a GTX 970 after I posted a thread.

I was ready to buy and then they stopped responding. Glad I checked heatware/saw this thread.

Logs here:

http://imgur.com/a/0Qdob

Son of a ... still trying to scam elsewhere!!!

I know for a fact that unclepaul has an account on guru3d forums. If anyone reading this has a forum account there (I don't) let them know!

I think she does, before "shipping" the card, i received a photo of the 980 ti with the respective day and username.

Glad I found this thread by googling unclepauly! I literally just registered an account on these forums. Unfortunately I too was scammed by him on Guru3d for a 980Ti. I have filed a dispute/claim with paypal and I let the Guru3d mods know about this. I can't believe how many of us have fallen victim to unclepauly's scam here.

Glad I found this thread by googling unclepauly! I literally just registered an account on these forums. Unfortunately I too was scammed by him on Guru3d for a 980Ti. I have filed a dispute/claim with paypal and I let the Guru3d mods know about this. I can't believe how many of us have fallen victim to unclepauly's scam here.

I'm sorry about that, I was trying to spread the word and warn people.

He/she changed the tactics, instead of posting sale threads, now he/she is scanning WTB threads posted on various forums and contacting buyers. I hope this comes to end soon because it will be a while before this scammer runs out of forums.

Good catch with those myspace pics, I found a picture of April with Paul I., the person that originally opened forum accounts. I don't have a facebook profile but for those of you that do, it may help track him down ( I saw there is a lot of people with that name on facebook)

full127ydn.jpg

Whichever one of them is responsible (or both) they tend to use slight digit variations of yahoo mail accounts for the paypal frauds. [email protected] on anandtech, similar addresses with different numbers elsewhere.

Based on everything I could find and what others in this thread dug up, is not very smart so will likely get caught, take consolation in that. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:
On Guru3d it was a FS thread listed as follows (and last updated on 11/25):

"Willing to ship anywhere as long as you cover the costs! I also prefer PAYPAL but will consider other methods

EVGA 970 SSC For the 970 I am asking 225 USD + shipping or the best offer. *** SOLD ***

EVGA 980TI SC+ For the 980ti I'm thinking 475 USD + shipping would be a fair amount. *** SOLD ***

--- * NEW ITEMS ADDED * ---

GIGABYTE MOBO P67-UD4-B3 - 75 USD SHIPPED OR BEST OFFER *** SOLD ***

8GB(4x2) GSkill Trident DDR3 2400mhz 10-12-12-31 - 35 USD SHIPPED *** SOLD ***

Samsung Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB - 35 USD SHIPPED Need more space than this for storage so it's gotta go. fast for an hdd

Crucial BX100 500GB - 120 SHIPPED or best offer Going either 512 NVMe or 1GB SSD

Beyer DT 990 pro 250 ohm with 5 ft of re-cable Midnight re-cable and jack asking $110 USD

I'm a trusted trader here and a longtime guru.

Here is my HEAT and I have like 5 sales here as well. "

Heatware was linked with extensive trader history and UnclePappi (UnclePauly) was on the Guru3d Trusted Trader list which is based upon Guru3d's internal Trader feedback system to which he/she also had many past positive transactions both buying & selling.

When I expressed interest in the 980Ti card, he/she stated they had a 2nd 980Ti for sale after the 1st one "sold" because they were getting a Fury for a smaller form factor build. I asked for a pic of the video card with his username, date, and Guru3d written down on paper next to it (standard practice for sellers on Guru3d) before I committed to buying the 980Ti and he/she provided me with it through private message. So I coughed up the dough on 11/30 to "UnclePauly09@yahoo"

Last I heard back from them was on 12/3 stating they had finally gotten the card shipped out after "getting backed up in business' and they would provide me the tracking # in the morning. Never heard from them after that...

Paypal is giving UnclePauly 10 days to respond to my claim before they take any action...

Has anyone else gotten their $ back yet?

Paypal is giving UnclePauly 10 days to respond to my claim before they take any action...

Has anyone else gotten their $ back yet?

Yup, only the guy that payed by "sending money to friends and family", but in our case the protocol needs to be followed, so we'll have to wait for the 10 days to run out before we'll get our money :(

I got a notice last night that PayPal found in my favor and "recovered" my $235 from the seller. I am taking that to mean, unfortunately, others paid in to UnclePauly's PayPal account and that many was passed along to me. I could be wrong, hopefully. I am told it will take 5 days for the money to be available in my account.

I got a notice last night that PayPal found in my favor and "recovered" my $235 from the seller. I am taking that to mean, unfortunately, others paid in to UnclePauly's PayPal account and that many was passed along to me. I could be wrong, hopefully. I am told it will take 5 days for the money to be available in my account.

Congratulation! When did you first open paypal claim in this case ?

This post is confusing. Were you out $235? Was it less and you feel PayPal gave you too much and that some of it is someone else's?

Confusing.

Congratulation! When did you first open paypal claim in this case ?
I opened it on 12/8. Completed much faster than I expected.
This post is confusing. Were you out $235?
I didn't think it was confusing. I paid $235 to the scammer, so I got my money back.

As I said, PayPal's statement said the money was recovered from the seller. Recovered, meaning it came from the seller, not PayPal. I'm assuming a scammer would empty their PayPal account as soon as they knew something was up. Since it was likely "recovered" from the seller's account, there must have been money sitting in it....money that I wondered if it came from other forums or other people unaware they were being scammed. As you can see in this thread, the scammer was still active, trying to rip more people off.

Since so many people have been scammed what is the next step? Even if you all get your money back whats to block this user from scamming the next 10 people. Can anything legal come from this?

You would think PayPal would freeze the account until all of this is resolved. There must be a dozen incident reports live right now.

I opened it on 12/8. Completed much faster than I expected.

I didn't think it was confusing. I paid $235 to the scammer, so I got my money back.

As I said, PayPal's statement said the money was recovered from the seller. Recovered, meaning it came from the seller, not PayPal. I'm assuming a scammer would empty their PayPal account as soon as they knew something was up. Since it was likely "recovered" from the seller's account, there must have been money sitting in it....money that I wondered if it came from other forums or other people unaware they were being scammed. As you can see in this thread, the scammer was still active, trying to rip more people off.

I think it's just their wording. I had a unfortunate incident with a seller on a laptop forum regarding an SSD, and Paypal also said they "recovered" the money even though the seller had no funds left. (no he was not a scammer I feel the need to emphasize that, it was just a very unfortunate incident)

I think it's just their wording. I had a unfortunate incident with a seller on a laptop forum regarding an SSD, and Paypal also said they "recovered" the money even though the seller had no funds left. (no he was not a scammer I feel the need to emphasize that, it was just a very unfortunate incident)

They might gave it a negative balance, something banks do

I've had other claims courtesy of bad eBay sellers, and haven't ever come across the word "recovered" from PayPal. It's possible they've updated their standard boilerplate wording since the previous claims I've had to make a few years ago, so who knows. Not to sound selfish, but all I cared about was getting my funds returned. I feel confident the rest of you will, too,

They might gave it a negative balance, something banks do

That's exactly what they did in my case (gave seller a negative balance). As someone said, if they don't pay up within a specified time period, it simply gets sent to collections and destroys their credit.

Unless PayPal has changed, if there is money in the sellers account, you get your refund....if there is no money ,you get squat..

It's never been that way that I know of. Would be screwed up if it was and a broken system. Every scammer immediately removes the money since they know Paypal is going to take it back. So Paypal will "overdraw" their Paypal account. Then they will try to collect on the overdrawn amount themselves or send it to a collection agency.

I'm curious if Paypal can charge any related bank accounts or credit cards that the scammer has on file. That would be a good way to get the money back.

It's never been that way that I know of. Would be screwed up if it was and a broken system. Every scammer immediately removes the money since they know Paypal is going to take it back. So Paypal will "overdraw" their Paypal account. Then they will try to collect on the overdrawn amount themselves or send it to a collection agency.

I'm curious if Paypal can charge any related bank accounts or credit cards that the scammer has on file. That would be a good way to get the money back.

Yes they can. As an example.. if my Netflix charge comes out and I don't have funds in my account they just go for my bank account. If the money isn't there then they go for my credit card. If its not there... well, I don't know, I'm not a degenerate.

Then it just gets sent to collections most likely and completely ruins your credit for the next 7 years. Of course if you're a Nigerian prince you likely couldn't care less about that.

Hey guys! Any news? Today is the 18th, so the 10th day for most of us. Did anybody received their funds yet? Who has the possibility to call paypal US, because if i choose to call it just gives me the europe paypal number and their offices closed. Thanks!

Unless PayPal has changed, if there is money in the sellers account, you get your refund....if there is no money ,you get squat..

Not correct. I had 2 cases in the last few months via Ebay in which I received funds from Paypal directly, who then went after the scammer for the funding.

I know this because I specifically asked, once paypal notified me the seller attempted to close their account.

A paypal rep told me directly on the phone, that they would just refund the $330 and they would go after the scammer.

I actually felt like my paypal fees went to something productive! As much as Paypal irritates me, they have saved my butt more than a few times in the past from scammers.

Without going too off topic, PayPal is a buyers dream and a sellers nightmare.

Not correct. I had 2 cases in the last few months via Ebay in which I received funds from Paypal directly, who then went after the scammer for the funding.

I know this because I specifically asked, once paypal notified me the seller attempted to close their account.

A paypal rep told me directly on the phone, that they would just refund the $330 and they would go after the scammer.

I actually felt like my paypal fees went to something productive! As much as Paypal irritates me, they have saved my butt more than a few times in the past from scammers.

I'm glad to hear this and in this instance I'm happy to be wrong.

I dont know when the policy changed, but I can assure you, this was not always the case.

in the past, if they could not recover money from the sellers account the buyer got nothing.

I'm glad to hear this and in this instance I'm happy to be wrong.

I dont know when the policy changed, but I can assure you, this was not always the case.

in the past, if they could not recover money from the sellers account the buyer got nothing.

Can't say about now 2 years ago I had a case with a phone preorder that went wrong on eBay. Seller had over 300 feedback and scammed about 30 or so people for a galaxy s4. Ended up calling PayPal a month or so later and they said they'd reinburse me and go after the seller. Whether they sell the debt to collections or go for the wage garnish is beyond me but seeing how PayPal requires your tax ID/social security they can probably get the money back through a court lien or just sell the debt at a small loss to collections. Personally I found the most guaranteed way to get funds back is a chargeback directly through the credit card company but its looked down upon by PayPal.

Last edited:
So far we have one person who has been refunded..has anyone else received money back ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back