Ultimate OEM On Newegg!

Hi BIGDADDY51,
Are you saying that with OEM Vista it is now a one time install no matter what go's wrong on the PC you build for a customer even if it is the motherboard that dies on them?
 
I been using an oem version of xp pro since its been released 2001? I have built several computers and upgraded many times with it. I probally installed windows more than a dozen times since then. For the last year or so I have to call MS to get a new number to activate it but it only takes a few minuits. I don't think you should worry to much about buying an oem version. I also wanted to mention www.microcenter.com has vista available as I ordered home premium 64 bit version @ $119 today. They called me and told me it will be shipped tomorrow.
 
Hi BIGDADDY51,
Are you saying that with OEM Vista it is now a one time install no matter what go's wrong on the PC you build for a customer even if it is the motherboard that dies on them?

No. He's saying they change the name of the "loophole" clause. There might be more questions involved to get it reactivated on a new system, but then again their might not be. Time will only tell.
 
Hi BIGDADDY51,
Are you saying that with OEM Vista it is now a one time install no matter what go's wrong on the PC you build for a customer even if it is the motherboard that dies on them?
No, not at all. First off, Vista will be much more accomadating as to hardware changes than XP ever was. What I mean is, that if you do happen to use a different MB then you will most likely have to do the phone call thing. MS will handle this just like XP on a case by case basis. Say you decide to do a clean install of Vista because of a virus. Most likely it will just install, and not even trip the reactivate thing. MS has NEVER told me that I couldn't reactivate a pc, but they do ask if you are only running the software on 1 pc. That has ALWAYS seemed to be the MAIN concern. FWIW, I was able to pull a Vista Beta drive out of 1 pc, and just stuff it in a totally different chipset,pc, without doing anything. Vista reconfigured the drive ,added the required drivers ,and was up and running in 10 minutes, BUT I doubt they leave that feature enabled in the RTM. As our numbers grow ,MS will certainly do something with thier EULA. A step in that direction is the new coa.
 
So it does seem like a legit (H)ard Do-it yourself PC builder that upgrades their own PC alot but only install's Vista on that one PC and only that one PC should be OK with a OEM copy of Vista...? Sheesh I still an't shure:confused: ;) :) :mad:
 
Hey BIGDADDY51 ,The post are coming too fast.
BIGDADDY51, Look's like you do think a OEM copy of Vista will be OK for a (H)arder PC upgrading Fool.....
 
No, not at all. First off, Vista will be much more accomadating as to hardware changes than XP ever was. What I mean is, that if you do happen to use a different MB then you will most likely have to do the phone call thing. MS will handle this just like XP on a case by case basis. Say you decide to do a clean install of Vista because of a virus. Most likely it will just install, and not even trip the reactivate thing. MS has NEVER told me that I couldn't reactivate a pc, but they do ask if you are only running the software on 1 pc. That has ALWAYS seemed to be the MAIN concern. FWIW, I was able to pull a Vista Beta drive out of 1 pc, and just stuff it in a totally different chipset,pc, without doing anything. Vista reconfigured the drive ,added the required drivers ,and was up and running in 10 minutes, BUT I doubt they leave that feature enabled in the RTM. As our numbers grow ,MS will certainly do something with thier EULA. A step in that direction is the new coa.

See, I didn't have that luck. I went from an X2 3800+/Xpress 200 system to a A64 4000+/NF4 Ultra system and Vista would not boot at all. I didn't feel like messing with it so I just wiped it clean and put my shiny new copy of MCE on here. So I haven't fooled with Vista since late October.
 
See, I didn't have that luck. I went from an X2 3800+/Xpress 200 system to a A64 4000+/NF4 Ultra system and Vista would not boot at all. I didn't feel like messing with it so I just wiped it clean and put my shiny new copy of MCE on here. So I haven't fooled with Vista since late October.

this is actually one of the biggest differences in system types. you are not just changing a part, but the entire computer type (acpi multiprocessor pc to acpi uniprocessor pc), and windows doesn't autodetect the many-to-one processor change well at all. the other way around generally works fine though
 
See, I didn't have that luck. I went from an X2 3800+/Xpress 200 system to a A64 4000+/NF4 Ultra system and Vista would not boot at all. I didn't feel like messing with it so I just wiped it clean and put my shiny new copy of MCE on here. So I haven't fooled with Vista since late October.
I was using 5744 RC2 and went from a KT8-890 VIA to a NF4 without a problem. This was in Dec. i just installed a X1300 video card and it was golden, no problem. and that, for some reason also took care of a no wake from sleep[ problem,and It's been great ever since. I do wish I would have just waited for the oem release instead of the upgrade promo, especially since oem Home business is selling for just $10 more than what MCE2005 is. At the time they were say HB was going to be$159. So $109 for MCE2005 +12.18 for the upgrade, and about 500 hours worth of aggravation.....:rolleyes: $200 is a real good price for Ultimate oem, and that is what I would buy, if I were going to buy Vista right now. Mainly because of the upcoming "extras" and having all the ultimate stuff available, if I should need it later.I can't wait to try out the speed boost thing. I have about a dozen Vista copies of RC2 , so I really aint in no hurry, and WILL be sure I get my Free upgrade from SOMEBODY. Meanwhile, it aint a bad idea to shop around for a good price on a retail copy of XP PRO. I found a brand new unused one for $100 Just in case the DRM and kill switch prove to be a big PITA, I'll have PRO to fall back on. PRO will still have 7 years of support from MS.
 
this is actually one of the biggest differences in system types. you are not just changing a part, but the entire computer type (acpi multiprocessor pc to acpi uniprocessor pc), and windows doesn't autodetect the many-to-one processor change well at all. the other way around generally works fine though


Yeah, I figured that was the reason. BIGDADDY51 in another thread a while back was saying that he's switched a number of different system types with the same Vista install. I mentioned my experience here because he reminded me of that conversation. However I don't remember if he'd said if he switched a multi-core system to a single-core system.
 
Yeah, I figured that was the reason. BIGDADDY51 in another thread a while back was saying that he's switched a number of different system types with the same Vista install. I mentioned my experience here because he reminded me of that conversation. However I don't remember if he'd said if he switched a multi-core system to a single-core system.
No, my installs were all single core, that may be where your problem came in.
 
Just buy retail. Its more expensive but it should last you for the next 5 to 10 years, and you'll don't have to worry when you upgrade your system.
 
I have two OEM's. Windows Media Center 2005, and Server 2003.

Both were installed on their initial machines and used for some time like that.

Both machines were taken down for a period of time (in excess of 3 months).

I used parts from upgraded desktops that were still fairly high-end (system boards, processors, drives, etc...) and built a new version of each machine.

I reinstalled the OEM copies on their respective machines, and they activated fine.

In the past, it depended on what you changed, and how much time passed between the changes. MS never fully divulged their formula, but apparantly what I did was within bounds.

Neither copy was ever used on more than one machine at a time.

-Larry


Yep, that's right....in theory. I know some have claimed they transferred the license, while some have not been able to. According to the EULA, it's one machine only...with Vista and with XP.
 
Well, it seems the majority didn't grasp the OEM definition excepted a few :

The main difference between OEM and Retail is not really the licensing terms but more about tech support. If you have issues with the retail version, you can call MS for help and have any support it require to fix. With a OEM version, you can't call MS and must rely on the system builder (or yourself if you are a DIY guy) for any troubleshooting and resolution. This is why it cost lower, because you are selling the OEM software as-is without any warranty (with the associated costs).

The licensing terms and whenever you can transfer from one PC to another or swap motherboards without buying a new license is more about morality and ethics. You feel good abusing the loophole ? Good for you. If you feel guilty and wanted to be legit, then buy a new OEM license or go Retail.

My own experience tell me that MS mainly care to make sure the key is used on 1 PC and only 1.
 
I have two OEM's. Windows Media Center 2005, and Server 2003.

Both were installed on their initial machines and used for some time like that.

Both machines were taken down for a period of time (in excess of 3 months).

I used parts from upgraded desktops that were still fairly high-end (system boards, processors, drives, etc...) and built a new version of each machine.

I reinstalled the OEM copies on their respective machines, and they activated fine.

In the past, it depended on what you changed, and how much time passed between the changes. MS never fully divulged their formula, but apparantly what I did was within bounds.

Neither copy was ever used on more than one machine at a time.

-Larry

I've found that if a year has passed without any changes, you can reinstall the OEM on a completely new machine without any problems activating it. This is the old OEM formula, and MS definitely significantly change the formula for when things need to be activated.

Like you said the formula is secret and we won't know for sure until we start using it in real world scenarios.

BTW I ended up canceling my OEM copy since there aren't drivers out for my raid controller yet. :( So I am back on the fence of whether or not to go OEM or retail.
 
If it comes down to a question of support (or lack of) for OEM vs Retail, then OEM would be the way to go. When was the last time you called Microsoft for support? Most answers come from that wonderful place called Google, or, the [H]. No need for an MS TSA.

Im sure this will take a couple of weeks to fully understand if this is the only difference between OEM vs Retail. And who knows, maybe thats how Microsoft proposed this round of OEM copies that Newegg and ZipZoomFly are dumping without hardware?

-E
 
You might want to check out this thread over at pcper by our administrator Ryan http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=434539 seems a MS rep told him something different about OEMS

Interesting turn of events... It make sense OEM copies cannot be resold but it remain to clarify what transfer is ok and what is not. I guess even MS staff can't understand the licensing spaghetti as well :eek:
 
Awesome if true. Heres the quote:

The only difference is that the OEM version cannot be reassigned to another person whereas the fully packaged retail version permits the license to be reassigned once to another person. As far as the licensing terms go, either version will allow for as many transfers as needed. The only stipulation is that the user must uninstall the software on the old PC before installing on the new PC. Detailed info can be found here http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx.


And Ryan of PC Perspective had this to say:

Just got another confirmation that the OEM versions would act the same as retail when it comes to upgrades and PC transfers.

Looks like good news for enthusiasts!

Nice. So, the only difference is that you cannot resell your copy of Vista. I can live with the 1/2 off price since I will be keeping these copies for personal use.

-E
 
"Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines."

Quote from:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx
 
"Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines."

Quote from:
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx
It's quite possible that MS hasn't updated the info on that page yet. Other pages at MS are in a state of transisition and some links lead to page not found.
 
okay, so what's the final word? can we still use an OEM install if we upgrade our systems' motherboards and whatnot or what?

I'm hearing answers both ways but nothing to prove 100% either way.
 
okay, so what's the final word? can we still use an OEM install if we upgrade our systems' motherboards and whatnot or what?

I'm hearing answers both ways but nothing to prove 100% either way.

We are all waiting to hear this as well. It makes sense that OEM vs Retail affects the enthusiasts the most. Hell, I change out parts like some change underwear, so I am awaiting confirmation before I pull the trigger on buying a 32bit and 64bit version of ultimate.

-E
 
This is why no one (apparently even MS) can make heads or tails of this -

From http://download.microsoft.com/docum...lish_36d0fe99-75e4-4875-8153-889cf5105718.pdf

15. REASSIGN TO ANOTHER DEVICE.
a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may uninstall the software and
install it on another device for your use. You may not do so to share this license between
devices.
b. Windows Anytime Upgrade Software. The first user of the software may reassign the
license to another device one time, but only if the license terms of the software you upgraded
from allows reassignment.

a. Makes it clear that you can transfer to another machine - but can not share.

b. Makes it clear that you can do this only if the license allows it.

!#*!@#*!@# This doc is titled "MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS" this document is supposed to define the terms of the license. How do you put in a statement like 'b' other than to add confusion.
 
This "can I?" shit is so annoying. And I just LOVE microsoft's "case by case" basis bullshit, something that would obviously run them down and murder them in any court case...this is so just incredibly annoying. Hell, I dont even want to change the motherboard out, I just want to swap OTHER hardware out.
 
This "can I?" shit is so annoying. And I just LOVE microsoft's "case by case" basis bullshit, something that would obviously run them down and murder them in any court case...this is so just incredibly annoying. Hell, I dont even want to change the motherboard out, I just want to swap OTHER hardware out.
Thanks to Vistas new expanded Algorithm, you can change just about every part, and not trip the reactivation thingy.
 
I'm installing it onto a Dell that I bought a couple of years ago... I just want to be able to use my OEM copy when I get rid of this POS.
 
I'm installing it onto a Dell that I bought a couple of years ago... I just want to be able to use my OEM copy when I get rid of this POS.
In that case, I would save it for the new pc,just in case the do decide to be real pricks about moving it off the 1st pc. I don't think ANYBODY has any idea of just how tough they intend to be, but I've read a ton of articles, and most say it isn't gonna be as easy as it was in XP.
 
Wow this thread is quite long. My guess is which probably has been posted already is that it won't be a big deal. If my PC was zapped by lightning and I had to buy new hardware I don't see how they can say I have to buy a new OS.
 
OK guys, I DID THIS a few hours ago:

my cousin got a brand new HP desktop with Vista Home Premium pre-loaded. Obviously, since it is an HP, it is an OEM license that is tied to that specific computer. I copied the CD key from the sticker on the system and installed Vista onto my laptop to see if the activation worked. The key wouldnt activate after Vista was installed, so I called into Microsoft for a phone activation. After telling them the brand of computer we had bought, as well as the cd key and the city we were in (NYC), the representative gave me an activation key that worked on my DELL laptop.

Vista activated just fine after that, and I had essentially successfully copied the Vista license to my Dell laptop.

So in my experience from TODAY:

the OEM license WILL install on another motherboard, even from a different manufacturer, chipset, EVERYTHING

you will *probably* be able to activate the license just by a simple call in, *just like Windows XP!!!*

Microsoft hasn't made activation much more restrictive, there has been *so much FUD* spread around the internet, and most of it simply is NOT true.

edit: if any of you are curious, I did the Vista install *strictly* for testing purposes and because I was curious about the activation, if you look at my laptop's specs... well it would SUCK to run Vista on this thing :) so yea, i'm fdisking Vista as soon as I get home
 
Was his HP desktop activated before you tried on your Dell? If so, are you sure it was activated with the same key on the side of the case? Many times, large OEMs ship with a generic key pre-activated...and not the one on the side of the case.
 
Was his HP desktop activated before you tried on your Dell? If so, are you sure it was activated with the same key on the side of the case? Many times, large OEMs ship with a generic key pre-activated...and not the one on the side of the case.

the desktop was activated before it shipped (as are most OEM machines)

and I am *sure* that it was the same key on the side of the case, absolutely sure....


as far as I can tell, it works JUST LIKE windows XP activation, basically, you call in, and the super nice indian people at the activation call center set you up, I didn't even have to tell them "bad motherboard" or anything, just the brand....

tho your experience may vary :)
 
the desktop was activated before it shipped (as are most OEM machines)

and I am *sure* that it was the same key on the side of the case, absolutely sure....


as far as I can tell, it works JUST LIKE windows XP activation, basically, you call in, and the super nice indian people at the activation call center set you up, I didn't even have to tell them "bad motherboard" or anything, just the brand....

tho your experience may vary :)

djines has a point. Most OEM computers come preactivated with VLK keys, which is not the same as the COA key. Run magic jelly bean on the HP and see if the key match the COA ??
 
the desktop was activated before it shipped (as are most OEM machines)

and I am *sure* that it was the same key on the side of the case, absolutely sure....


as far as I can tell, it works JUST LIKE windows XP activation, basically, you call in, and the super nice indian people at the activation call center set you up, I didn't even have to tell them "bad motherboard" or anything, just the brand....

tho your experience may vary :)

I can almost guarantee that the key on the case was NOT the key used to install Vista on the HP with. Every HP/Compaq, Gateway/eMachines, and Dell I've ever seen did not use the key on the side for the installation. They used a generic key to install iwth on one machine and then image that machine and copy the images to all the other machines they build with similar specs.
 
so you guys are telling me to install the OS using the same CD key onto a *different* machine other than my laptop tonight, and *then* see if the call center will let me activate? :) Because I'll be glad to give it a shot tonight
 
Back
Top