• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Ultimate OEM On Newegg!

Well, I would never say I'm transfering it to another computer. I just simply say I changed out a part. Actually, 2 weeks ago I changed Mobo & added a new OS harddrive and XP (OEM) validated without me even calling MS.
 
So whats your point?

Transferring OEM licenses from one computer to another is piracy according to the EULA. Whether you agree with that is not relevant since piracy is not allowed to be discussed here. I would expect this thread will be locked soon if people keep posting how they move their OEM license from one computer to another.
 
So I read this thread and still don't know if I should go OEM or not ?
Where is the best deal, price on the FULL retail ver. of Vista Ultimate ?
 
So I read this thread and still don't know if I should go OEM or not ?
Where is the best deal, price on the FULL retail ver. of Vista Ultimate ?

It comes down to how often you upgrade and whether or not you can get back your initial investment (in the OS) when you do upgrade.
 
So I read this thread and still don't know if I should go OEM or not ?
Where is the best deal, price on the FULL retail ver. of Vista Ultimate ?


Newegg $$204 shipped for vista ultimate OEM 32 or 64 bit
 
Transferring OEM licenses from one computer to another is piracy according to the EULA. Whether you agree with that is not relevant since piracy is not allowed to be discussed here. I would expect this thread will be locked soon if people keep posting how they move their OEM license from one computer to another.

That's the most absurd form of pirating ever. You're calling microsoft and they're changing it, how are you pirating when THEY CHANGE IT FOR YOU?
 
Transferring OEM licenses from one computer to another is piracy according to the EULA. Whether you agree with that is not relevant since piracy is not allowed to be discussed here. I would expect this thread will be locked soon if people keep posting how they move their OEM license from one computer to another.

All my dealings with MS they only asked how many computers I was running my OS on and it's 1. I've never had them tell me upgrading a part or 2 is considered a transfer nor is it piracy. Especially, considering you can legally obtaing a copy of XP OEM without it being tied to a computer part. So whose to say what parts I can or cannot use. However they can say don't run XP on more than 1 computer.

It comes down to how often you upgrade and whether or not you can get back your initial investment (in the OS) when you do upgrade.

I'm just wondering if there are example of people not being able to revalidate their OS when upgrading their comps? Like I've said, I've done it a dozen times with no problems even when I called MS to validate.
 
That's the most absurd form of pirating ever. You're calling microsoft and they're changing it, how are you pirating when THEY CHANGE IT FOR YOU?

They reactivate it based on your answers to their questions. MS doesn't have the ability to perform lie detector tests via telephone.:rolleyes:

All my dealings with MS they only asked how many computers I was running my OS on and it's 1. I've never had them tell me upgrading a part or 2 is considered a transfer nor is it piracy. Especially, considering you can legally obtaing a copy of XP OEM without it being tied to a computer part. So whose to say what parts I can or cannot use. However they can say don't run XP on more than 1 computer.

All I can say is what the EULA you agreed to states.. What you can do, and what you should do, are two different things. The license is tied to the motherboard of the computer and no other component. The "marriage" of the license to the motherboard is simply one that is *written* and not necessarily enforced via technical means.
 
And of what importance is this to you? Do you work for microsoft?
 
Is it true that the retail ver. of vista has both 32 & 64 bit on the DVD or do you have to send away for the 64bit ver. ?
 
To provide others with accurate information.

Accurate information? I highly doubt anyone would say "oh that's piracy, I better not re-use the license I paid for, that's just as bad as having a stolen copy"
 
Accurate information? I highly doubt anyone would say "oh that's piracy, I better not re-use the license I paid for, that's just as bad as having a stolen copy"

Yes accurate information. If you don't agree, then don't use the software. You paid for the RIGHT to use the software in a particular manner by which you agreed to when you clicked the "I agree" button. You don't own the software.

But just case your still doubtful I am accurate in what I say, here are a couple links right from Microsofts website.

Transfer of OEM licenses
and
Transfer of License

Microsoft FAQ said:
Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?

A. After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC. However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user the software media, manuals (if applicable) and certificate of authenticity label must be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.

The end user license agreement (EULA) is granted to the end user by the System Builder and relates to the license on the PC with which it was originally distributed. Because the System Builder is required to support the license on that original PC, a System Builder can not support a license that has been moved from a PC they manufactured to one that they did not. This is one of the key reasons why an OEM System Builder license can't be transferred. For more information, click here.

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move their OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't they do whatever they want with the software?

A. The OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system even if the original machine is no longer in use. The end user license agreement (EULA) accepted by the customer before they use the software, states that the license may not be shared, transferred to or used concurrently on different computers. The System Builder is required to provide end-user support for the Windows license. A System Builder can not support a license that has been moved from a PC they manufactured to one that they did not — this is a fundamental reason why OEM System Builder licenses can't be transferred.

What you can do with the software and what you are supposed to do are two different things. Now I am merely providing the accurate information on what your supposed to do.
 
Yes accurate information. If you don't agree, then don't use the software. You paid for the RIGHT to use the software in a particular manner by which you agreed to when you clicked the "I agree" button. You don't own the software.

But just case your still doubtful I am accurate in what I say, here are a couple links right from Microsofts website.

Transfer of OEM licenses
and
Transfer of License



What you can do with the software and what you are supposed to do are two different things. Now I am merely providing the accurate information on what your supposed to do.


If i upgrade my computer to use different parts the computer doesn't change, the hardware does, im not going to buy a new copy of windows everytime i do a system overhaul, thats just stupid, i dont care what the EULA says, M$ would be ecstatic if us system builders bought their software one time, they think all we do is used pirated copies
 
If i upgrade my computer to use different parts the computer doesn't change, the hardware does, im not going to buy a new copy of windows everytime i do a system overhaul, thats just stupid, i dont care what the EULA says, M$ would be ecstatic if us system builders bought their software one time, they think all we do is used pirated copies

You can upgrade everything except for the motherboard. The license is tied to the motherboard by the EULA.

Again from the FAQ

Microsoft FAQ said:
Q. Can a PC with OEM Windows XP have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?
A. Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard. An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on for that particular PC. The System Builder is required to support the software on that original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original System Builder, therefore, can not be expected to support this new PC that they in effect, did not manufacture.


Let me repeat myself for the THIRD TIME in this thread and I'll make it a little larger so it will sink in.

What you can do with and what your supposed to do are two different things.
 
What you can do with and what your supposed to do are two different things.

Alright we can read! Good luck finding ANYONE who ACTUALLY GIVES A FUCKING SHIT about what the EULA says the software they paid for is tied to, or would care to read it in the first place. It's kind of pathetic that you read past the first word of the EULA.

What you can do with and what your supposed to do are two different things.

So say I buy vista home premium OEM and install it on my badaxe 2 rig. 3 weeks from now I fall into another 8800GTS and decide to get a 680i board to run SLI. Do I now charge 250 dollars for my badaxe 2 instead of 150 because I have a vista license tied to it by the almighty EULA?
 
Alright we can read! Good luck finding ANYONE who ACTUALLY GIVES A FUCKING SHIT about what the EULA says the software they paid for is tied to, or would care to read it in the first place. It's kind of pathetic that you read past the first word of the EULA.

QFT

We're arguing about a stupid technicality that YOU YOURSELF wouldn't follow, do you just like arguing about it?
 
Let me repeat myself for the THIRD TIME in this thread and I'll make it a little larger so it will sink in.

What you can do with and what your supposed to do are two different things.


Thanks! It's comforting to have official (not) MS legal representation here in the forums! (This is sooooo much fun!)

How is the weather up on your high horse?

Just curious.
 
You can upgrade everything except for the motherboard. The license is tied to the motherboard by the EULA.

Again from the FAQ




Let me repeat myself for the THIRD TIME in this thread and I'll make it a little larger so it will sink in.

What you can do with and what your supposed to do are two different things.

I change motherboards more than i change my underwear, im not gonna get a new copy everytime i do it
 
This is tough, what's funny is that OEM in a way is not really that much cheaper than the retail version, if you look at it OEM gives you the ability to decide to purchase 32bit and 64bit separately. I hope OEM is not that strict since I do get to upgrade my pc every year frequently, and a big overhaul every 3-4yrs (overhaul is when the processor goes and the mobo goes too).
 
Alright we can read! Good luck finding ANYONE who ACTUALLY GIVES A FUCKING SHIT about what the EULA says the software they paid for is tied to, or would care to read it in the first place. It's kind of pathetic that you read past the first word of the EULA.



So say I buy vista home premium OEM and install it on my badaxe 2 rig. 3 weeks from now I fall into another 8800GTS and decide to get a 680i board to run SLI. Do I now charge 250 dollars for my badaxe 2 instead of 150 because I have a vista license tied to it by the almighty EULA?

I agree with you 110%. MS will give up on this when they realize they've only sold 100 copies in a month worldwide.
 
I agree with you 110%. MS will give up on this when they realize they've only sold 100 copies in a month worldwide.



they'll sell millions, but they are basically shiesting over us, system builders, we change our hardware,and its still the same computer, but they want us to buy another copy
 
Alright we can read! Good luck finding ANYONE who ACTUALLY GIVES A FUCKING SHIT about what the EULA says the software they paid for is tied to, or would care to read it in the first place. It's kind of pathetic that you read past the first word of the EULA.

There are reasons why those of us here care about the EULAs and most of them have to do with our jobs. There are people here that are paid to make sure things are done the right way so the businesses that pay us are entitled to technical support, updates, and reduced liabilities among other things.

It's pathetic that you post as if your point represents the "majority" when you have no idea how many sysadmins, consultants, and other IT people are here and do care about the EULA. Software piracy is not allowed to be discussed on these forums, so the information provided is what your "supposed" to do as per the rules.

they'll sell millions, but they are basically shiesting over us, system builders, we change our hardware,and its still the same computer, but they want us to buy another copy

Buy a retail copy. You can transfer it or rebuild your computer as often as you like.
 
The unauthorized copying of software. Most retail programs are licensed for use at just one computer site or for use by only one user at any time. By buying the software, you become a licensed user rather than an owner (see EULA). You are allowed to make copies of the program for backup purposes, but it is against the law to give copies to friends and colleagues.


1 computer, the computer is still the same even if you change the motherboard, no one has defined if upgrading parts is a "new computer"or just an upgraded version of the old one....specifying the motherboard just isn't fair
 
There are people here that are paid to make sure things are done the right way so the businesses that pay us are entitled to technical support, updates, and reduced liabilities among other things.

Of course you need to follow EULA in a company. You'd be in deep shit if you pirated software as a network admin or the like. It's completely different in the home computer enthusiast market and I highly doubt anyone here wants to listen to your "the rules say this" posts that we don't abide to. You would make a "good" (from your point of view) moderator though :)

It's kind of hard to buy a retail copy when you can't buy it anywhere yet and we want vista (legally) NOW
 
There are reasons why those of us here care about the EULAs and most of them have to do with our jobs. There are people here that are paid to make sure things are done the right way so the businesses that pay us are entitled to technical support, updates, and reduced liabilities among other things.

It's pathetic that you post as if your point represents the "majority" when you have no idea how many sysadmins, consultants, and other IT people are here and do care about the EULA. Software piracy is not allowed to be discussed on these forums, so the information provided is what your "supposed" to do as per the rules.



Buy a retail copy. You can transfer it or rebuild your computer as often as you like.

basically youre just a small software designer crying about piracy..and youre taking your frustration out on members of the forum, who were going to buy the software legally, not pirate it, and for a use thats not really piracy, (though by a technicality it is) youre going to tell us not to do it...thats just stupid....
 
basically youre just a small software designer crying wah wah about piracy..and youre taking your frustration out on members of the forum, who were going to buy the software legally, not pirate it, and for a use thats not really piracy, (though by a technicality it is) youre going to tell us not to do it...thats just stupid....

What's stupid is your assumption that I'm a software designer. I am not a software designer nor have I ever claimed to be. I don't know where you got that from, but your wrong.:rolleyes:

Of course you need to follow EULA in a company. You'd be in deep shit if you pirated software as a network admin or the like. It's completely different in the home computer enthusiast market and I highly doubt anyone here wants to listen to your "the rules say this" posts that we don't abide to. You would make a "good" (from your point of view) moderator though :)

It's kind of hard to buy a retail copy when you can't buy it anywhere yet and we want vista (legally) NOW

It's not my rules, its the rules here on these forums. however home market or business market, the EULA is the same therefore the legality is the same. No difference.
 
It's not my rules, its the rules here on these forums. however home market or business market, the EULA is the same therefore the legality is the same. No difference.

Maybe you missed the news but the rules were already posted by an admin, there is no need for you to repeat them. If we wish to talk about what is in technicality "piracy", that's our choice not yours. It's also not your choice to decide if we should be allowed to talk about it or not, that's the job of the forums staff.
 
Maybe you missed the news but the rules were already posted by an admin, there is no need for you to repeat them. If we wish to talk about what is in technicality "piracy", that's our choice not yours. It's also not your choice to decide if we should be allowed to talk about it or not, that's the job of the forums staff.

Sometimes a reminder is necessary to keep the discussion from being locked. If I choose to participate in a thread that discusses piracy, then it is my choice to do so, not yours. If you can't handle the feedback, then maybe you should reconsider posting any more. Please, feel free to report me if you feel I am out of line.
 
OK , here's one for you.
If you were a system builder and a customer returned a PC for repair that you had built and installed OEM Vista on.
You find that the problem with the PC is a dead motherboard.
In such a case, can you fix the PC for the customer by installing a new motherboard and re-installing the same OEM copy of Vista or do you have to buy a new copy of Vista just because you have to replace the motherboard in order to fix your customers PC ?
 
The whole point of the OEM EULA discussion wasn't to try and tell poeple not to buy it, but instead it was to let people know the potential pitfalls of buying an OEM version.

OEM software is NOT meant to be purchased by end users (which seems to be most of the people participating in this discussion). It is meant strictly for system builders to purchase so they can supply an OS on their systems for their customers at a reduced cost. The WHOLE reason it's not supposed to be transferred is because the software is supposed to be supported by the system builder. It wouldn't be fair to allow end users to transfer the software to a system that wasn't built by the SB but still make them support it.
This is the way it has always been (at least since 98SE).

That being said MS has been VERY lenient and basically ignored that specific term in the EULA. However, they can at any time start being stricter and only allowing end users to transfer the license in very specific circumstances, if at all. This seems to be the case for Vista.

Now if you choose to buy an OEM copy of Vista, you need to be aware of the risk that MS will not allow you to transfer the license when you upgrade. If you KNOW you will be changing the motherboard in the future then OEM is probably not for you, but it's your risk to take.
 
ryan_975, Did you read my question above ?
I think I might have posted just a split second before you . You might not have seen it.

"OK , here's one for you.
If you were a system builder and a customer returned a PC for repair that you had built and installed OEM Vista on.
You find that the problem with the PC is a dead motherboard.
In such a case, can you fix the PC for the customer by installing a new motherboard and re-installing the same OEM copy of Vista or do you have to buy a new copy of Vista just because you have to replace the motherboard in order to fix your customers PC ?"

I just " " Myself;)
 
OK , here's one for you.
If you were a system builder and a customer returned a PC for repair that you had built and installed OEM Vista on.
You find that the problem with the PC is a dead motherboard.
In such a case, can you fix the PC for the customer by installing a new motherboard and re-installing the same OEM copy of Vista or do you have to buy a new copy of Vista just because you have to replace the motherboard in order to fix your customers PC ?

If you're replacing the motherboard with the exact same model, then No. If the same model is not available anymore then there is a loophole that'll allow you to put in a new motherboard and still use the same license. The keyphrase is "catastrophic hardware failure", or something like that. If you have problems activating then just explain that the motherboard you originally supplied isn't in supply anymore and they should let you transfer the license to the new motherboard.
 
I don't want to be an Ass*%&# but did I find a LOOPHOLE ?;) :D
Yes I know I am an ASS*%&#:)
 
Hi ryan_975
I just ment this is a loophole for the OEM copy and I think you believe it is also ?
The ASS&%##$ thing was just me making fun of myself not of you.
 
The rules of this forum exist for a reason.
You are responsible for knowing them.
If you think discussing piracy as "you see it" is ok, well that's nice, but the rules of the forum dictate differently. There are plenty of other places where you can discuss that type of thing, but not here.

Look. I am very much a firm believer that you can do whatever you want with what you paid for. BUT, don't pretend that just because something is done outside of a corporate environment is no big deal and therefore not piracy. It is what it is. Accept it. You don't like it, you have other options, including fighting with your almighty dollar.

Now, it appears as though the thread is going in the direction of discussing what the OEM allows you to do, so I'll leave it open as I don't think that has come up in a while.
But keep it clean please, and I don't like sending out PMs, I'd rather be playing BF2.
 
Your right SJConsultant , very true.
Thats why I was calling myself an ASS*%$#:) :D
 
OK , here's one for you.
If you were a system builder and a customer returned a PC for repair that you had built and installed OEM Vista on.
You find that the problem with the PC is a dead motherboard.
In such a case, can you fix the PC for the customer by installing a new motherboard and re-installing the same OEM copy of Vista or do you have to buy a new copy of Vista just because you have to replace the motherboard in order to fix your customers PC ?
The answer is no, you would not have to buy a new oem copy of Vista, because it would be covered under the"catastrophic failure clause" just like XP was covered under the "defective motherboard" clause. It MIGHT require a call in to reactivate. The only reason they tied OEM software to the motherboard in the first place, was to proptect the small systems builder from having to provide endless support on an oem pc. Since most of us DIYs build and maintain our own machines anyways, that point is moot. I've always told MS that I AM a DIY, and never had a problem reactivating any OEM software.Note that now, oem software pkgs now contain a single system builders licence that you accept, when you break the seal on the pkg. granting us the right to install the pkg. I guess we will REALLY know just how bad they get, once Vista gets out here in the field, but it will probably be business as usual, with the phone call. Just for the record, I am a registered small systems builder ,and my info comes from MS OEM forums.
 
Back
Top