Ultimate OEM On Newegg!

umm is this hot???? i never used mc before i have no clue what im gonna get myself into but im an xp pro fanatic.

32bit vista ultimate for 200?

ya, it's pretty hot figuring original estimates of the retail version are like 400 or some shit.

too bad there isn't a 64 bit oem on egg

ya, it's pretty hot figuring original estimates of the retail version are like 400 or some shit.

yeah, i' am waiting for that also.. I emailed them if they're going to sell any 64-bit ultimate vista OS. If they doo it would be a sweet deal coming from egg.

i bought the oem ( 64bit ) one from an euro site, the difference btw this and that is, that you dont get a fancy package, and cant get support from microsoft ( phone ).

thats all.

I'm not so sure that it's hot considering it's an OEM license. It's been well documented on here in the past why most "enthusiasts" stay away from OEM licensing.

Doesn't XP follow the same rule though? You can only install OEM XP on one machine, right?
Yep, that's right....in theory. I know some have claimed they transferred the license, while some have not been able to. According to the EULA, it's one machine only...with Vista and with XP.

I read that Vista OEM is much more strict than XP on reactivation of a used OEM key. I've always bought OEM without issue but I am nervous about this one.

I disagree. I think most enthusiasts embrace OEM licensing, over and over and over again. :)

I'm not so sure that it's hot considering it's an OEM license. It's been well documented on here in the past why most "enthusiasts" stay away from OEM licensing.

you sure that's the ONLY difference? ;)
i bought the oem ( 64bit ) one from an euro site, the difference btw this and that is, that you dont get a fancy package, and cant get support from microsoft ( phone ).

thats all.

I disagree. I think most enthusiasts embrace OEM licensing, over and over and over again. :)
I'm not sure what you mean by this comment, but most enthusiasts who do frequent upgrades avoid OEM licensing.

I'm not sure what you mean by this comment, but most enthusiasts who do frequent upgrades avoid OEM licensing.

I have to agree with this, and bendit, could you elaborate a bit? I don't really understand what your saying either......

if you read these boards long enough, and notice the posts about vista, you'll see that most of the so called enthusiasts are going for the oem version because its one cheaper, and two, it worked for them with XP. That is they were able to convince msft CS reps to activate the software on a new system. There is also the misconception, in fact there it is earlier in this thread, that there is no difference between oem and retail other than packaging and support.

I don't see the evidence pointing to the enthusiasts preferring the retail. I see the opposite.

btw, Vista OEM is looking to be no different than XP was. It looks as if you can just buy the oem software without having to buy any hardware with it. Typical "Look the other way" msft marketing.

if you read these boards long enough, and notice the posts about vista, you'll see that most of the so called enthusiasts are going for the oem version because its one cheaper, and two, it worked for them with XP. That is they were able to convince msft CS reps to activate the software on a new system. There is also the misconception, in fact there it is earlier in this thread, that there is no difference between oem and retail other than packaging and support.

I don't see the evidence pointing to the enthusiasts preferring the retail. I see the opposite.

btw, Vista OEM is looking to be no different than XP was. It looks as if you can just buy the oem software without having to buy any hardware with it. Typical "Look the other way" msft marketing.
Are you sure you've been reading the [H]ardForums? If you truly read on these boards long enough, you'll see most hav stayed away from XP OEM licensing. Furthuremore, it has already been announce that MS will be more strict with transferring OEM licensing...as they admitted a lot slipped through the cracks before. OEM licensing has ALWAYS been tied to one motherboard aka computer. Microsoft will be much more strict on this. They've relaxed the limit on retail, but not on OEM. So as we've asked before, why would any enthusiast "embrace" an OEM license, knowing that most likely you won't be able to transfer the licensing?

djnes, I don't think we know quite yet how "restrictive" msft will be with vista activation, compared to XP. It turns out they were pretty lax with XP oem licenses. And they don't seem to be enforcing hardware purchases with OEM vista sales if you just look at Newegg.

A lot of folks abused the oem license but they were still able to activate XP oem over and over. You ask a question at the end of your post. I would ask the same question because I agree with your premise; and I even posted on the same issue just yesterday. I said it was penny wise and pound foolish to go with OEM. But that wasn't exactly a popular viewpoint. ;-)

I guess we will know a week or so which copy "da boyz in da hood" are going to go for, oem or retail. as for me, its a no brainer. Retail all the way.

regards

Are you sure you've been reading the [H]ardForums? If you truly read on these boards long enough, you'll see most hav stayed away from XP OEM licensing. Furthuremore, it has already been announce that MS will be more strict with transferring OEM licensing...as they admitted a lot slipped through the cracks before. OEM licensing has ALWAYS been tied to one motherboard aka computer. Microsoft will be much more strict on this. They've relaxed the limit on retail, but not on OEM. So as we've asked before, why would any enthusiast "embrace" an OEM license, knowing that most likely you won't be able to transfer the licensing?

I don't know what's more common for people on these boards, but for me personally, i rarely upgrade the motherboard in my systems. The only time i do is if my current one fails or when i build a brand new system. I tend to retire old systems to do more menial tasks, so i need to get a new license anyway. It's cheaper to buy OEM in that case. That at least is one scenario where OEM software works better than retail and why i get it more frequently than retail. :)

I said it was penny wise and pound foolish to go with OEM. But that wasn't exactly a popular viewpoint.
I remember reading that comment, and I absolutely agree. Maybe it was unpopular because it's suggesting a more expensive license...but then again...wouldn't two or three OEM licenses cost more than one single retail? Definitely. So if MS is strict about this, in the end, it would be cheaper...and definitely more wise...to get retail. So it may be unpopular, but chalk me up to agreeing.

I remember reading that comment, and I absolutely agree. Maybe it was unpopular because it's suggesting a more expensive license...but then again...wouldn't two or three OEM licenses cost more than one single retail? Definitely. So if MS is strict about this, in the end, it would be cheaper...and definitely more wise...to get retail. So it may be unpopular, but chalk me up to agreeing.

It depends on if you can get your investment back When I change motherboards I go ahead and get a new case and some other necessary items liek CPU or memroy if required. So I take the old case and motherboard and COA sticker and sell them off. I usually get my money's worth and makes getting a new OEM license no cost for me.

thats all.
You need to be VERY careful of Euro sites a good portion of software from there is counterfiet.

OLD BUZZ WORD "Defective motherboard" NEW BUZZWORD "Catastrophic failure":D :D :D

The truth is no one will know how difficult (or easy) it will be to transfer an OEM copy until we get out hands on them and actually start to experience it.

I was able to completely rebuild my media center and transfer my OEM copy of MCE. It didn't even require me to call in, it just happily accepted even though I changed out 100% of the components. I expect that Vista won't be so happy about such a change.

Personally I got a OEM copy of 64bit Ultimate from directron.com for $212. I bought it with the full knowledge that I may not be able to transfer it, but that is a risk I am willing to accept.

ryan_975 said:
It depends on if you can get your investment back When I change motherboards I go ahead and get a new case and some other necessary items liek CPU or memroy if required. So I take the old case and motherboard and COA sticker and sell them off. I usually get my money's worth and makes getting a new OEM license no cost for me.

Same here. When I upgrade my current computer becomes my media center pc and then gets donated to a family member. I let the license follow the PC because I like to give my parents a computer that has legal software on it.

See, I am the opposite. I typically upgrade my motherboard or processor about once a year...sometimes both at the same time. Buying an OEM license, assuming it wouldn't transfer, would be a waste of money for me.

Most of the time, I sell a pc before I ve had it 6 months, so oem is the best way to go for me. BUT, in view of what they state will be a much tighter control of reactivation, retail is the way to go, if you keep your pc for any length of time.:D

There will be so many complaints about this in the next year(about the only good for one mobo) that microsoft will most likley change it to be more lean on it. They'll probably get at least 10,000 calls in the next month or two stating why wont windows activate now cause I changed my motherboard?. You just know they will revise it.

But from what im hearing its basically not that it wont let you activate, it will not matter how many times you switch your mobo since its more of a moral thing like

"can you live with a lie saying that you had a hardware failure and had to switch the motherboard out? or something along those line"

I sure can :D

I don't know what all the fuss is about XP OEM. I've been running a copy of XP OEM for years and changed my Mobo out atleast 5 times and probably reinstalled 12 times with 0 problems. The rule is that you can only have XP running on 1 computer at a time and that applies to OEM or retail. I'd never pay retail, there's no point.

As far as Vista goes I hope the same still applies.

There will be so many complaints about this in the next year(about the only good for one mobo) that microsoft will most likley change it to be more lean on it. They'll probably get at least 10,000 calls in the next month or two stating why wont windows activate now cause I changed my motherboard?. You just know they will revise it.

But from what im hearing its basically not that it wont let you activate, it will not matter how many times you switch your mobo since its more of a moral thing like

"can you live with a lie saying that you had a hardware failure and had to switch the motherboard out? or something along those line"

I sure can :D

I don't know what all the fuss is about XP OEM. I've been running a copy of XP OEM for years and changed my Mobo out atleast 5 times and probably reinstalled 12 times with 0 problems. The rule is that you can only have XP running on 1 computer at a time and that applies to OEM or retail. I'd never pay retail, there's no point.

As far as Vista goes I hope the same still applies.

Both of you need to go back and read the OEM EULA. It has always specifically said that XP (and now Vista) can only be installed on one system and cannot be transferred to another. I said this in another thread (just like this one) that MS has been very lax in enforcing that term but supposedly has said that it plans on being more strict with Vista. Basically nothing in the EULA has changed (except maybe some minor rewording), just MS's stance on the issue.

Both of you need to go back and read the OEM EULA. It has always specifically said that XP (and now Vista) can only be installed on one system and cannot be transferred to another. I said this in another thread (just like this one) that MS has been very lax in enforcing that term but supposedly has said that it plans on being more strict with Vista. Basically nothing in the EULA has changed (except maybe some minor rewording), just MS's stance on the issue.

So whats your point?

If they dont enforce it then its there problem

So whats your point?

If they dont enforce it then its there problem

My point is that nothing has changed. Everyone is getting upset over the revelation that OEM is restricted to one computer when it always has been. It should be considered a bonus that MS has allowed the OEM licenses to be transferred and not cry foul when or if they decide to play hardball about it.

Back