Ugly GPUs

I had an interesting hour this morning just going through my old purchases.

I went from the fantastically ugly 4890,complete with random armored female.

1600807891606.jpeg

To the awesome looking 5870 like 6 months later (I think from memory I actually had the 4890 earlier but there’s two on the order so I’m thinking one was a warranty replacement). The difference is largely sticker but just goes to show.

1600808006655.jpeg

Interestingly the 5870 I ordered 3 days after the 480 GTX was reviewed so I obviously wasn’t impressed.

Aside from that, I realised just *how* much I paid for a 7900 GTX ‘extreme’ in 2006. Which made me feel better about current prices, but also that I’ve proven my “do not care about red vs green” credentials for a long time.

Also that I was a fucking idiot and should have invested that money in my twenties (amazon shares equiv to that GTX would be about $45k) and hooked up with more women rather than playing mmorpgs and nerding out.

Meh,

A lot of these came from a time before case windows, when video card design was pragmatic, not aesthetic.

I kind of wish things still were that way.

Windows, RGB lighting, and other forms of aesthetic design have really turned the PC hobby silly.

Oh come now...you can't beat the legendary Voodoo 5 6000. :D

View attachment 316978

Ahhh, the glory days when even the lowly Wall Wart was worthy of a name...

"Voodoo Volts" lol

(In case anyone reading this did not know it, the Vodoo 5 6000 was supposed to draw so much electricity that it would come with it's own external power connection, and yes, the advertising name for this really was "Voodoo Volts")

Reactions: Halon
like this
Ahhh, the glory days when even the lowly Wall Wart was worthy of a name...

"Voodoo Volts" lol

(In case anyone reading this did not know it, the Vodoo 5 6000 was supposed to draw so much electricity that it would come with it's own external power connection, and yes, the advertising name for this really was "Voodoo Volts")
in the external connector dept, ahead of its time.

Yeah man. I would totally rock that Eagle titan in my Soltek FRN2 golden flame rig.

I'd take a picture of my corsair one's rtx 2080 ti gpu, but it's better than most of these....

That brings back memories. People love to rib on it it, but at the end of the day, there have been worse, hotter-running, louder cards. It was just totally outpaced by the 9700.
That card was loud as shit, but it kicked ass in Unreal Tournament 2003/4. Played every game at full settings and it never batted an eye.

Reactions: erek
like this
That card was loud as shit, but it kicked ass in Unreal Tournament 2003/4. Played every game at full settings and it never batted an eye.
was the default renderer OpenGL or D3D?

the NV30 / NV35 was good at OpenGL, but i can't recall if ut2003/4 defaulted to D3D in Windows.

i was using Linux with my NV35 (FX 5900) back in the day

was the default renderer OpenGL or D3D?

the NV30 / NV35 was good at OpenGL, but i can't recall if ut2003/4 defaulted to D3D in Windows.

i was using Linux with my NV35 (FX 5900) back in the day

You could actually choose the renderer in UT2003/4. All you had to to was remove the semicolon from in front of the OpenGL line, and put a semicolon in front of the D3D line. That will switch it from D3D to OpenGL and vice-versa. UT2003 was DX8.1 and UT2004 was initially DX 8.1 then was patched to DX9 a few months later. DX9 did nothing for the game though.

Back