• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ubisoft Games Will Require Constant Internet Connection

Ok, so I walk around all day every day with a 2500kb/s internet connection in my pocket.

When my home PC is turned on, it's online.

I can't say I like this internet-always-on style of copy protection but at the same time, I also can't say I would be inconvenienced by this method.

I haven't had any downtime at all with either my mobile or home ISPs in over two years. If my connection(s) go(es) down, I'll be directing most of my internet rage at my ISP(s).
 
They say that, but in most cases hot games are available at the same time or even before the retail release date. So I don't really buy the argument that they are trying to prevent zero-day pirating. Fact is that people are either going to pirate games or they aren't, and if they are then almost no amount of DRM is going to stop them.

That is the way they see it as it will stop all copies except those pirated, so they arent going to back down from that stance.
They have partially achieved their goal and are looking to close pirating down too.

To be clear, I am not for this DRM at all !
I want an easy life and a secure PC, this goes right against the grain.
 
Fact is that people are either going to pirate games or they aren't, and if they are then almost no amount of DRM is going to stop them.
I don't believe that. The seller needs to assert some restriction to tell the customer they are against it being copied. Otherwise it would be a free for all and they would literally sell one copy.

Although a simple CD check even if defeated by a nocd crack is enough.
 
They say that, but in most cases hot games are available at the same time or even before the retail release date. So I don't really buy the argument that they are trying to prevent zero-day pirating. Fact is that people are either going to pirate games or they aren't, and if they are then almost no amount of DRM is going to stop them.

This...end of story.
 
Ok, so I walk around all day every day with a 2500kb/s internet connection in my pocket.

When my home PC is turned on, it's online.

I can't say I like this internet-always-on style of copy protection but at the same time, I also can't say I would be inconvenienced by this method.

I haven't had any downtime at all with either my mobile or home ISPs in over two years. If my connection(s) go(es) down, I'll be directing most of my internet rage at my ISP(s).

i agree with this. who here ISN'T connected to the internet whenever their computers are on?
 
Last edited:
Ok, so I walk around all day every day with a 2500kb/s internet connection in my pocket.

When my home PC is turned on, it's online.

I can't say I like this internet-always-on style of copy protection but at the same time, I also can't say I would be inconvenienced by this method.

I haven't had any downtime at all with either my mobile or home ISPs in over two years. If my connection(s) go(es) down, I'll be directing most of my internet rage at my ISP(s).

Yeah, when I'm on my lappy there's often times I might want to play an offine game and I can't get online. Even when I am online at university, the uni connection will probably block the DRM server stopping me from playing.

There's still a large portion of people who will want to play games when they can't be online. Its one thing to have a 1 off online activation, I'm sure almost everyone can get access to internet at some stage to do a 1 off activation, but there's a lot of people who wont be able to be connected all the time they want to play.

Plus its just flat out retarded to be required to be online to play an offline game.
 
<post>
<sarcasm>
Who connects to the internet on their gaming PC anyway? Multiplayer games are a boring waste of time, and there are never any worthwhile patches or mods to download. The internet is just a fad, and I can't wait until the entire world realizes this simple fact. You'll never get anything but spyware and viruses anyway.
</sarcasm>
</post>
 
Yeah, when I'm on my lappy there's often times I might want to play an offine game and I can't get online. Even when I am online at university, the uni connection will probably block the DRM server stopping me from playing.

There's still a large portion of people who will want to play games when they can't be online. Its one thing to have a 1 off online activation, I'm sure almost everyone can get access to internet at some stage to do a 1 off activation, but there's a lot of people who wont be able to be connected all the time they want to play.

Plus its just flat out retarded to be required to be online to play an offline game.

pirate the game, that is the only way.
 
Please stop fucking advocating piracy or saying you are going to pirate it in my topic. I did not post this so you thieves (don't tell me you're not, I don't give a damn about the technicalities) could spread your shit. Knock it off or I'm getting this closed.
 
If I REALLY wanted the game I'd buy it and apply the inevitable no activation crack. Just in case my connection drops mid game, or I'm travelling somewhere without HSI.
 
You know what's gonna be funny, when the game comes out, sells a million copies and gets 2 million pirates and the company complains, except in reality it was 1 million pirates, and 1 million people who bought the game and cracked it to play it offline. :p Ubisoft will probably whinge about piracy and poor sales and move even further to consoles.

Any Ubisoft game I want to play I'll probably end up buying it then get a cracked version... no way I'm playing an offline game that forces me to be online with some dodgy software constantly checking.
 
Any Ubisoft game I want to play I'll probably end up buying it then get a cracked version... no way I'm playing an offline game that forces me to be online with some dodgy software constantly checking.

Some doggy software? Like all the other hundreds of things you probably use or do online that require a connection?
 
Some doggy software? Like all the other hundreds of things you probably use or do online that require a connection?

Most of what I do on my PC excluding browsing the internet and playing online games can be done offline, so I'm not really sure what you mean by that. I move my PC around a lot and often am using it without an internet connection... its not like some mystic life force emanates from the internet keeping my PC alive.
 
When I moved from Texas to Guam, I spent my plane trip playing GTA4 on my laptop. Love that game and it shrunk a considerably boring 18 hour plane ride for me. There are a lot of places where I don't have net access that I'd like to game, so yeah this proposed idea is a pretty inconvenient system for me.

I'd be pissed if the last Ubisoft game I enjoyed wasn't Beyond Good and Evil though, but I wouldn't consciously buy a game that had this procedure in place. If I'm paying them for a game, I'll play it whenever and wherever I please.
 
Althought I think its BS to have to have an internet connection to play a game or anything else I purchased. WHY a full time connection?


I assume that all xbox and playstation games are always connected and reporting to the people that sold it ????

Are they allowed to search these devices and see what else you have?
 
To those who support DRM go read this.

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,95338,7498885.html

This is an interview with the CEO of CD Projekt. They are the ones who run Good Old Games and the makers of The Witcher. English translation is on the right. He goes deeply into his feelings about DRM and how he believes it hurts the industy.

The reason this is both very interesting, and in my opinion, a very important source is that CD Projekt is a small software developer. They are not pirates as most people accuse anyone that is anti-drm of being. They are also not a massive multibillion dollar publisher with stock holders to please. They are a small developer who lives and survives off game sales. Piracy and DRM hits home. However, being a small software dev, where every single sale counts toward the company seeing another day, the CEO still believes that DRM is wrong and hurts in the long run.
 
Won't affect me, thankfully. I haven't bought an Ubisoft game in years.

What's curious is that "Uplay" is supposed to replicate Steamworks, but Steamworks is free to integrate and offers similar (identical?) functionality to "Uplay". Why not...just...use...Steamworks?

I was wondering the same thing. Steam is a much better solution and allows people to use it offline.


I'm with you.... Haven't purchased a Ubisoft game in quite a while, and if they include this garbage, I don't plan on it anytime soon
 
You're tired of pirates calling the police?

heh, he missed commas, it should have read:
"This is it, i'm so sick and tired of you pirates, calling the police right now as i type."
 
Are game companies seriously this stupid these days? This will be hacked out the first week of release regardless of what restrictions they put on the game. If game companies want to fight piracy they should offer online features that make buying the game worthwhile, instead of forcing legitimate consumers to pay the price. This spells quite an annoying future for us. In the future, are we going to have to spend money just to think certain "patented" ideas? If I buy a game, I want to own a copy of the game, not the "rights" to play that game with permission from the developer. Also, what happens if Ubisoft's servers are overloaded, or in 10 years, they don't run them anymore? Then the game will become extinct.
 
Are game companies seriously this stupid these days? This will be hacked out the first week of release regardless of what restrictions they put on the game. If game companies want to fight piracy they should offer online features that make buying the game worthwhile, instead of forcing legitimate consumers to pay the price. This spells quite an annoying future for us. In the future, are we going to have to spend money just to think certain "patented" ideas? If I buy a game, I want to own a copy of the game, not the "rights" to play that game with permission from the developer. Also, what happens if Ubisoft's servers are overloaded, or in 10 years, they don't run them anymore? Then the game will become extinct.

Welcome to a world where piracy is considered more important than the actual, legitimate consumer. You want a feature? Forget it, all those anti-piracy measures come first. Got a complaint? Sorry, they're too busy figuring out new ways to fight piracy.

DRM-filled games are not an attractive option to buy. As said many times before, the 'pirated' version is generally more convenient, easier to install and in general more customer-focused. Isn't it ironic that the 'pirates' end up providing better customer service than the company selling the original product?
 
Yeah, when I'm on my lappy there's often times I might want to play an offine game and I can't get online. Even when I am online at university, the uni connection will probably block the DRM server stopping me from playing.

There's still a large portion of people who will want to play games when they can't be online. Its one thing to have a 1 off online activation, I'm sure almost everyone can get access to internet at some stage to do a 1 off activation, but there's a lot of people who wont be able to be connected all the time they want to play.

Plus its just flat out retarded to be required to be online to play an offline game.

I hear you and understand what you're saying but I honestly don't feel that any educational institution should deploy a network that allows its students to game on campus (dorms excluded). If they do, great, but I don't see the need.

May I suggest that you either save the videogaming for when you're off-campus, use your own portable connection to tether your laptop (My phone with WiFiRouter installed gives me a wireless router connected to the tower @ ~2.5mbps) or select a different game to play that doesn't require online verification?

Personally, I think option #1 would be your best course of action. When I was in college, I tended to save the Counterstrike nerdery for my dorm room and was generally a productive student when I actually had to be at school. Aside from picking up the wimmens (gaming is great for that, I hear), I've never really understood why people hang out on campus when they don't have to. But then again, I had two jobs that prevented me from loitering much in the forum/cafe/bar.

I don't mean to suggest that you're a time-wasting fuckwit, hell, I played some C1.6 in class from time to time too. Lectures can be torture, I know. Thankfully in those early years the admins at my school allowed unfettered network access. I'm simply suggesting, from experience, that gaming on campus really is a gigantic waste of time and isn't an effective return on your thousands of invested dollars.

So, Ubisoft is unintentionally trying to help with your book-learnin'! But you can easily circumvent that help by rocking a decent phone. ;) :D

Again, I don't support this method of DRM but I don't find it to be a real hindrance either.
 
I hear you and understand what you're saying but I honestly don't feel that any educational institution should deploy a network that allows its students to game on campus (dorms excluded). If they do, great, but I don't see the need.

I'm at university from 8 to 14 hours a day, quite often on weekends too, studying for my degree and at the moment doing 3 other projects. Half the time I just go home and pass out from exhaustion ready for the next day :p

Its nice in the breaks during the day to be able to do something that takes my mind off Engineering for a few minutes. Usually I play GTAIV, GRID or Race Driver 3 on my friend's lappy (as mine doesn't run games very well). Sometimes in the evening we'll even set up a LAN and play some racing games. I think its more than reasonable for me to want to play some games on my own personal laptop while at University when I'm here for the majority of my waking hours (and sleep here occasionally too).

I guess since I spend so much time here I dont see university as a place purely of "education"... the university is like a little city which is focused around study and research (it even has its own postcode).

But yeah, the university blocks almost everything over the internet. Even in the dorms, I couldn't log into steam (had to log in at my parents' home then go into offline mode to play in my room in the dorms).

Point being: I wanna be able to play my games when I want even if there's no internet available. I wont be buying any game that requires me to be connected to the internet constantly unless I know there's a cracked version available that removes the DRM.
 
Games that require you to have a internet connection which everyone has?

Or

Games that include spyware/malware like securom?

I'll take the internet solution. The only time I would not have a connection is if i am deployed to afghanistan or iraq (in the air force). However since I mostly use steam which allows you to play offline that isn't a problem.

Ubisoft has the right idea but this is the wrong way to implement it. They are French so i'll forgive them.
 
I am always connected to the internet anyways so this doesn't bother me.

You leave your house door unlocked 24/7 too?

Ubisoft just lost me as a customer which means no new Splinter Cell or Silent Hunter 5 for me but I must draw my line in the sand here for fear of all game publishers going the same route. This shit must be nipped in the bud now! Don't be wimps and fuck all us other gamers over by accepting it.
 
Games that require you to have a internet connection which everyone has?
I have it but am most certainly not connected 24/7. I usually disco from the internet if playing a SP game and often disco when not using my PC for internet use. I have a Docsys cable modem so it as easy as the press of one button to disco. I'll ask it again, do you leave your house door unlocked 24/7?

Games that include spyware/malware like securom?

Which form of securom are you talking about? None that is on my PC has ever been either of what you claim and neither has ever caused me an issue. Your claim is hyperbole. Sure, I would prefer no securom but it is fairly benign form of DRM. Only issues I know if it is due to DVD/CD drives that have shitty firmware that can't get by the CP. Better optical drive will fix that issue.
 
Last edited:
I'm kinda surprised that people are saying they'd rather have this internet DRM and people should stop complaining about it. Its pretty self centered as even if you do have good quality internet connected all the time, surely you realise that its not the case for everyone to either have a constant internet connection or maybe to have an unreliable one.
 
This Just In: Ubisoft Games Will Not Require Me To Buy Them

We'll have film at '11.

No Silent Hunter 5 I guess, oh well. Shit happens. :(
 
I'm kinda surprised that people are saying they'd rather have this internet DRM and people should stop complaining about it. Its pretty self centered as even if you do have good quality internet connected all the time, surely you realise that its not the case for everyone to either have a constant internet connection or maybe to have an unreliable one.

Some people are just either jaded or too used to DRM and will gladly choose between multiple evils.

Meanwhile 'em bloody pirates are getting DRM-free software with better support in case something breaks than 'legal' customers :p

The irony remains thick when it comes to DRM.
 
Some people are just either jaded or too used to DRM and will gladly choose between multiple evils.

Meanwhile 'em bloody pirates are getting DRM-free software with better support in case something breaks than 'legal' customers :p

The irony remains thick when it comes to DRM.

Yeah, I kinda hope that the first Ubisoft game to come out with this DRM gets like 100,000 sales and 1,000,000 pirates just so Ubisoft can see how stupid they are being. :p

But then of course they'll complain about the pirates because of their bad sales, instead of realising they are shooting themselves in the foot with this sort of DRM.
 
It would be fun to pirate Ubi games just out of spite for them. Probably more fun than playing a game they made. Splinter cell and Rayman can kiss my ass.

The last 4 Ubisoft games I bought they didn't work cause of the DRM
 
I laughed my ass off when I got an email from GameStop titled "Celebrate liberty by pre-ordering Splinter Cell Conviction."
 
I have it but am most certainly not connected 24/7. I usually disco from the internet if playing a SP game and often disco when not using my PC for internet use. I have a Docsys cable modem so it as easy as the press of one button to disco. I'll ask it again, do you leave your house door unlocked 24/7?

Which form of securom are you talking about? None that is on my PC has ever been either of what you claim and neither has ever caused me an issue. Your claim is hyperbole. Sure, I would prefer no securom but it is fairly benign form of DRM. Only issues I know if it is due to DVD/CD drives that have shitty firmware that can't get by the CP. Better optical drive will fix that issue.

How do you "disco" from the internet? do you get some friends on web cams and some purdy lights and go at it to some kc and the sunshine band?

Your claim is hyperbole

Hardly, SR has been well known for taking down entire windows installs with it, trying searching google instead of just assuming you know the answers "mister i am so paranoid i disco my inet when i play SP games"

Nice to see some people don't mind software installing it's self as a rootkit in your computer giving it full control to do what ever it wants, like disable applications like mounting tools or burning software while it is running.
 
Oh no, someone resurrected this thread - oh god, let it die... please let it die.
 
Buying Ubisoft Pc Games is easier to install than the piracy software.I support Ubisoft Require Constant Internet Connection.
P1010745.jpg

Mike - I agree that I prefer to support the software publishers but in this case they are going to far for a constant connection to even play Single Player. I'll buy a legit copy and then get a crack for that. So have I done anything wrong? Probably to a legal person somewhere but I feel I did my bit to support the pub while still being able to play the game.
 
Back
Top