U3011 25% off: $1124.25 + Free Shipping

Ok... So I just bit on this display today. U3011 coming to my door step next Thursday.

I have a GTX 260 Core 216. I primarily only play WoW. I would like to run at native resolution, so my question is: Can I run WoW at 2560x1600 with settings cranked up? WoW isn't as intensive as current FPS right? xD

Ok... So I just bit on this display today. U3011 coming to my door step next Thursday.

I have a GTX 260 Core 216. I primarily only play WoW. I would like to run at native resolution, so my question is: Can I run WoW at 2560x1600 with settings cranked up? WoW isn't as intensive as current FPS right? xD

With the 260 you will not be able to have all of the settings maxed. Particularly if you raid 25 mans, you will definitely notice lag. Cities as well. If you just quest and play 5 man dungeons however you will be able to run higher settings (still not maxed, however).

You also lose almost half the pixels by going 1080p :)

For gaming it doesn't really matter since the goal is just to present the image on a physically-larger display. If anything, it's better that way as you can run it with a less potent GPU. :)

For me 46" is too large for a monitor if you're using it at a normal computer display distance. Display size isn't everything....display size + resolution + viewing distance are what really count. Also, 1080p leaves a lot to be desired for for anything other than viewing movies or gaming. :p

The resolution is definitely a better thing, and at a normal viewing distance (2-2.5 feet) a 30" display takes up most of your main field of vision regardless. The 2560x1600 resolution is amazing :D.

I have a 3007wfp-hc I got for ~$670 with a 5-year warranty (dell refurb direct from them) on a deal like this and L-O-V-E the thing. It took adjustment from my S-IPS 20" 1680x1050 lcd but once I got used to it... just godly for games, let alone the extra workspace for productivity. 1080p is a huge quality drop.

Do be warned though, you WILL need a strong rig to really push it at max settings in many games and maintain a minimum FPS of 60-70 with avg. of 80-90... the view is amazing though ;)!

On the rig in my sig (Core 216, too), I run WoW with maxed settings (in DX11 mode; DX10 cards run it fine) except for: 2x anti-aliasing, 2x anisotropic filtering, shadows at low.

Shadows definitely need to be fairly low; I think shadows just make everything darker while raiding without adding much, so it isn't a loss for me. I cranked them up to max see what they did and it brought my system to a crawl while just idle in a city. So I set them back to low like I've always kept them regardless of resolution or videocard.

AA/AF I've kept that low since running 1680x1050 just because I've wanted to keep frame rates up in 25 mans. Might be able to bump those up, but I haven't played with them in terms of FPS. I have A-to-B tested AF settings; I wouldn't call anything above 2x "better", just different.

I haven't noticed any frame rate issues with these settings. In fact, FPS seem more or less the same as when I ran 1680x1050 (100+ in cities, 60-70 in raids before pulls, 20-30 dips when lots of stuff is going on). The only problem I've noticed is the default UI scaling is still a tad big at the smallest size. :eek:

I love the huge increase in screen real estate (in games or otherwise), it was absolutely worth it. The AG coating the rubs some folks the wrong way is certainly noticeable and messes with my eyes a bit, but it was not uncomfortable for me and definitely wasn't a deal breaker for me.

On the rig in my sig (Core 216, too), I run WoW with maxed settings (in DX11 mode; DX10 cards run it fine) except for: 2x anti-aliasing, 2x anisotropic filtering, shadows at low.

Shadows definitely need to be fairly low; I think shadows just make everything darker while raiding without adding much, so it isn't a loss for me. I cranked them up to max see what they did and it brought my system to a crawl while just idle in a city. So I set them back to low like I've always kept them regardless of resolution or videocard.

AA/AF I've kept that low since running 1680x1050 just because I've wanted to keep frame rates up in 25 mans. Might be able to bump those up, but I haven't played with them in terms of FPS. I have A-to-B tested AF settings; I wouldn't call anything above 2x "better", just different.

I haven't noticed any frame rate issues with these settings. In fact, FPS seem more or less the same as when I ran 1680x1050 (100+ in cities, 60-70 in raids before pulls, 20-30 dips when lots of stuff is going on). The only problem I've noticed is the default UI scaling is still a tad big at the smallest size. :eek:

I love the huge increase in screen real estate (in games or otherwise), it was absolutely worth it. The AG coating the rubs some folks the wrong way is certainly noticeable and messes with my eyes a bit, but it was not uncomfortable for me and definitely wasn't a deal breaker for me.
It's not possible to run DX11 with a 260

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-directx-11-performance,2793-6.html

Their test shows a 260 plowing through good quality settings. If you check the page for the ultra settings, they have a 450 gts (which isnt much if any better) doing fine at 2560x1600, so I think you will be fine.

you necro'd this thread to ask a question about video cards? seriously? i was really looking forward to another u3011 deal. this makes me sad :(

The only thing that should make you sad :( is you missing my second post, the one just about right after my question in regards to my 5850.. man people really like to get on me for bumping a thread when they don't even bother to read all that is written...

From my earlier post:

As for the deal being valid again.. here is that info:

Dell business is running the same deal through 05/18/2011.
Promo code: PJK$HL8JBWVHD7

Credit on deal to be given to huzaifas over on SD's website though as that is where I got a deal alert earlier this afternoon via email.

So go buy one (correction: a second one :p) Apathy, the deal is good again till 05/18/2011 ^%^%@!!!

you necro'd this thread to ask a question about video cards? seriously? i was really looking forward to another u3011 deal. this makes me sad :(

Last edited:
The deal's alive again... sad you didn't read what he posted. That is all that's sad here.

I've wanted this monitor for ~ 6 months and I often skip or miss the 25%off deals Dell runs, well I finally caved as I just have to have this damn panel.

GoldenTiger, I take it from your sig that you are running two 570's currently with your 3007?

I was debating a few options:
1 ) running my single 5850 till the next gen series after the 69xx arrives.
2 ) getting a second 5850 to xfire.
3 ) Buying one 6950 or one nVidia comparable.

I am leaning towards waiting to get the U3011 in hand and seeing how the one 5850 runs it, but I am worried I will want more from it, don't we always :rolleyes:

The only thing that should make you sad :( is you missing my second post ...

05/18/2011.

So go buy one (correction: a second one :p) Apathy, the deal is good again till 05/18/2011 ^%^%@!!!

so at first i was all like, sad faced, and then i rechecked this thread, and then i was all like, happy faced. sorry for being terrible :p see below for a picture of what just happened here if you didnt feel like reading this post.

:( ..... TRANSFORMATION ...... :)

thanks dude!

I've wanted this monitor for ~ 6 months and I often skip or miss the 25%off deals Dell runs, well I finally caved as I just have to have this damn panel.

GoldenTiger, I take it from your sig that you are running two 570's currently with your 3007?

I was debating a few options:
1 ) running my single 5850 till the next gen series after the 69xx arrives.
2 ) getting a second 5850 to xfire.
3 ) Buying one 6950 or one nVidia comparable.

I am leaning towards waiting to get the U3011 in hand and seeing how the one 5850 runs it, but I am worried I will want more from it, don't we always :rolleyes:

Heya...

I would say your best option is #2 if you want to have a top-end experience now, but overall if you don't upgrade to bleeding-edge a lot then I'd wait for #1 to come out... I don't think the next generation is more than a couple of months out, and with the jump to 28nm we should see significant improvements on both sides of the video card fence. 2560x1600 takes a lot of power to push with AA (yes, it's still needed) on newer titles such as Metro 2033, Battlefield BC2 DX11, Rift, Crysis 2 maxed, and a number of others if you want to maintain a good framerate with minimums in the 45-50's.

If you can live with dialing settings down just a notch you'll probably be happy with your single 5850 in the meantime :).

@Apathy, no worries, I ain't mad at ya.. we all have times where we miss something while reading.

@GoldenTiger: I believe my best option is #2 as well, and I was kind of kicking myself for missing out on the Sapphire 5850 TD had on special for $140 a couple weeks back in our [H]ot deals. I was thinking of CF'ing my rig then, but waited as my AW2310 runs way fast with just the one XFX 5850 I have now. Well happy times are here again as I found a code on SD for TD's Sapphire 5850 making it the $140 price again.

I really do not like the 16:9 ratio of my current AW2310, I loved the monitor for the past year, but lately the short height is starting to become annoying. I really want the 16:10 ratio. You might be asking where I'm going with all this.. Well I ordered the U3011 last night, then began digging more into what video card(s) I will need to run BC2 at a decent rate, yes I am a FPS whore but I also want a large panel.. kinda a hard thing to accomplish without spending mass cash.

My concern upon further review is that the U3011 is going to be horrible with FPS from what I can gather at AnandTech, for instance here is 2x 5850's in CF versus one of your 570's (no results showed for 570 CF, that is why it is graphed this way) Results Here show 25.2 FPS in BC2 @ 2560 x 1600 Waterfall bench - Max Quality - 4xAA. So my question is do you play BC2 at all, and if so what do you see your FPS averages like in it while running say Fraps?

Currently I run BC2 at all max w/ 4xAA, 4xAF, vsync off, Hbao off with my i5 2500k build in sig. Prior to this I had a Q6600 @ 3.0 running all the same settings except I had the Effects on Medium. So I am not opposed to running the settings in medium if it helps get some more frames with the 30'.

I was contemplating on canceling this U3011 and waiting for the U2410 to go on 25% off as it seems from that same graph the 1920 x 1200 hits 97.3 with CF 5850. That way I still get the 16:10 ratio, IPS panel and still can game. I really would like this U3010 as it must just be beautiful but I don't want to run BC2 or the lather all choked up and choppy.. sigh, decisions, decisions.

P.S. If people want me to move this discusion away from this U3011 deal thread I will, I just keep asking things here as I believe people may have similar questions in regards to this panel as I am having, it still relates to the $1124 price tag :cool:

Man this is highly tempting, it will be a huge jump from 23" 1080p. It'll be a nice screen to compliment my crossfired 6950s.

Currently I run BC2 at all max w/ 4xAA, 4xAF, vsync off, Hbao off with my i5 2500k build in sig. Prior to this I had a Q6600 @ 3.0 running all the same settings except I had the Effects on Medium. So I am not opposed to running the settings in medium if it helps get some more frames with the 30'.

I run BC2 multiplayer @ 2560x1600 max settings HBAO enabled and 8x CSAA with my sig rig with minimums around 70, maximum over 130ish, avg. around 90-95. The 5850's won't be as fast in CF but they would give a playable (45-50min?) experience I would think. My GTX 570's are just sitting at their stock OC of 786mhz core/4200mhz ram.

I really want one of these but as always when this deal comes around my wife shoots it down.

Thanks again for your feedback GT.

I really want to check out the 30 so I am going to just leave the order open and see what "actual" frames I get while using it. I use to want the U2410 but around the time I was gonna buy it the AW2310 had just went on a 25% off deal at the time and I went with it for the 120hz refresh rate. However the TN panel is starting to annoy me as I have not been gaming 24/7 like I was and have been doing more reading online, not always facing monitor head on, and as I mentioned earlier the height of 16:9 is becoming very annoying to me, dunno why.. I feel cramped as of late. Then I seen a U2711 a couple times while visiting Microcenter over the past few months and I just love the real estate it has making me want to get the monsta 30 :D

I really want one of these but as always when this deal comes around my wife shoots it down.

maybe its time to shoot your wife.

just an idea.

but seriously, the u3011 was the best purchase i have ever made for my pc. and really my home theater in general. i watch stuff on my screen while in bed all the time. blows my crappy old 56" tv out of the water. highly recommend this purchase to anyone that uses their home pc for more than 10hrs per week.

but seriously, the u3011 was the best purchase i have ever made for my pc. and really my home theater in general. i watch stuff on my screen while in bed all the time. blows my crappy old 56" tv out of the water. highly recommend this purchase to anyone that uses their home pc for more than 10hrs per week.

Edit: "highly recommend this purchase to anyone that uses their home pc for more than 10hrs per day"

Agree. A great purchase.

I think I'm going to be doing alot of begging for forgiveness if ya know what I mean! I guess my gf will be less upset when she finds out that her pc has inherited a 23" 1080p Asus VH236H lol. It will be a big jump from her circa 2003-2004 Sony 15" Flat Panel lmao!

Nice! The way I see it your both #Winning, duh. :D
I think I'm going to be doing alot of begging for forgiveness if ya know what I mean! I guess my gf will be less upset when she finds out that her pc has inherited a 23" 1080p Asus VH236H lol. It will be a big jump from her circa 2003-2004 Sony 15" Flat Panel lmao!

Doh! Gotta wait till tomorrow, forgot that I put a $1000 daily spending limit on the checkcard lol!

I would LOVE one of these monitors, but a 27 inch 1080p screen is the only thing that makes sense for me. Darn.

I agree. Either way you still have a couple days on the current promo.

------ edit -------
For people whom don't read all the way through and like to bust my balls :rolleyes: when finding the original coupon code the OP posted has expired, here is a refresh of the current deal again:

Dell business is running the same deal through 05/18/2011.

---- end edit ----

Last edited:
I agree. Either way you still have a couple days on the current promo.

Okay okay, after a little more playing around in the checkout, I found the daily spending limit on the credit card payment. But I have to pay tax on the fugger! $1202.95 total to be exact! Oh well, I shall live to game another day! On a 30" screen!!!

Still cheaper than mine, tax and CA e-waste disposal fee made my OTD $1225.37

Gotta pay to play ;) Just depends on how much, ha!

was looking at these to add to my 305t+ just too much money, going to sell the 305t+ and go with 1080p

Back