Two years after launch Windows 11 adoption is still waaaay behind Windows 10

When it asks you to sign into a Microsoft account, use [email protected] for the email, and for the password you can use anything you like. It'll say there's an error and then allow you to make a local account.
But it wouldn't even let you get to the sign in to a microsoft account prompt unless it detects internet. And it insists on setting up internet, there is no option to skip that. Unless you use the above mentioned command line workaround.

But it wouldn't even let you get to the sign in to a microsoft account prompt unless it detects internet. And it insists on setting up internet, there is no option to skip that. Unless you use the above mentioned command line workaround.
I didn't say to skip the internet.

And why would that be foolish? The only people moaning about Windows 11 are tech savvy people, which the majority of Windows users are not.
LOL, that's completely out of touch. The non-tech savvy moan the most about change. They have a problem if an icon moves on the desktop. They might not have the know-how to prevent W11 from auto-installing, but that doesn't mean they want it. And if they have help they can stay on 10 even with 11 eligible HW.

You implied that everyone who is still on 10 is only because they don't have officially compatible HW. There was no distinction for the non-tech savvy there, but even in that case it is not nearly everyone.

I didn't say to skip the internet.
Oh for the love of everything that's holy. Read the context before chipping in the middle of a conversation. I was responding to this:

Not having a connection on a fresh install of 11 can be considered a benefit to make initial setup easier. ;-)
Not having an internet connection is no longer a standard option.

LOL, that's completely out of touch. The non-tech savvy moan the most about change. They have a problem if an icon moves on the desktop. They might not have the know-how to prevent W11 from auto-installing, but that doesn't mean they want it. And if they have help they can stay on 10 even with 11 eligible HW.

You implied that everyone who is still on 10 is only because they don't have officially compatible HW. There was no distinction for the non-tech savvy there, but even in that case it is not nearly everyone.
1708512663955.png

On win 11 home 64 bit. There is not native option to skip internet during install. It doesn't have Z790 Internet drivers by default. That's crazy. Z790 has been out for how long now? The entire screen is at a dead stop no options to click. Any average user would need to go to the Internet on their phone or other PC and find out how to jump through hoops with shift F10 command prompt tricks and follow steps etc. That's actually silly, even 10 and 7 were patched faster then 11.

On win 11 home 64 bit. There is not native option to skip internet during install. It doesn't have Z790 Internet drivers by default. That's crazy. Z790 has been out for how long now?
correct, dont use home.
1.5yr-ish? again, kinda normal. i ran into the same thing on 10/11 with 690 chipset, and plenty of others in the past.

The inconsistency in the Win11 UI drives me batty, but that is about my only major complaint.
The rest are fairly petty.

If there was a competition for grasping at straws, you'd take home the gold.
Dude, that says right below it, "not a real screenshot." Stop being so dishonest.
Remember how that wasn't a real screenshot? This one is real, and directly from Microsoft. It's in preview testing so it may still not make it, but this is like the third time Microsoft is trying to put ads in Windows, so it's gonna happen. Also you can turn it off, which means it's on by default, which also means nobody will know how to turn it off.
https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...s-to-run-ads-in-your-start-menu-on-windows-11
oynnAMhWR9ymiZr9SFbYNU-1200-80.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/m8gAMeF_hcg?si=Phl2Ns2A2l8XAjTp

Remember how that wasn't a real screenshot? This one is real, and directly from Microsoft. It's in preview testing so it may still not make it, but this is like the third time Microsoft is trying to put ads in Windows, so it's gonna happen. Also you can turn it off, which means it's on by default, which also means nobody will know how to turn it off.
https://www.windowscentral.com/soft...s-to-run-ads-in-your-start-menu-on-windows-11
View attachment 648744

View: https://youtu.be/m8gAMeF_hcg?si=Phl2Ns2A2l8XAjTp

Microsoft comes pre-bloated with all kinds of stupid garbage. And when you uninstall that garbage, it gets re-installed during the next Windows update. But we were discussing ads, not bloatware, and you linked to an article with a fake screenshot. Bloatware has been a part of Windows since time immemorial and it's only going to get worse.

I might update my gaming laptop to 11 since my tablet and Legion Go are on it, it's a i7 10750, 2060rtx, with 64GB RAM. I think I have Win11 looking and working like 10 at this point.

IDK, Windows says it's ready for 11, it's a MSI GL65.
If Windows has already notified you that it's ready for 11, then you're good. In the settings, it usually has something like PC Health Check to click on to verify that your hardware is compatible. I've had older hardware get a notice for Windows 11, only for it tell me after the check that it's not compatible, which is nifty. But the MSI GL65 should be fine.

It works both ways. All members are equal here, I see no reason to judge anyone based on their preferred OS.

What such discussion does highlight is the fact that more people are becoming aware of Linux as a viable alternative.
It's a perfectly fine OS and a great alternative if it has everything you need.

It gives tweakers something to do, always.
I've been debloating, whatever you want to call it, since Win95.
It gets challenging particularly with Defender removal with each iteration.
The day (Windows) fails to boot or function without that spyware running is the day the ship sails for them.
At least there are alternatives for our hardware.
Imagine if PC hardware was locked down like (most) phones and you HAD to run Windows ONLY!
That would be a nightmare, eh? I guess it would boost chlorpromazine sales! ;-)

I'm curious how many people on the thread gave any feedback during insider preview about the UI?

What's ironic is you can literally run full blown Linux natively in win 11 so you get both.

It's a win-win overall... now a lot of Windows users are becoming Linux users as well from WSL2. The increase in Linux could very well be due to this new avenue to get users into the world of Linux.

FOR THE TROLLS ---- I'm going to specify LTSC win versions because there's 0 added bloat to it. And no crying about licensing it's super easy to find one on cdw and not expensive at all.

One last thing trolls --- Yes, I know Win 11 LTSC is only in insider preview channel right now. It'll be out soon enough.

Last edited:
No kidding. The Linux trolls are in every windows thread!
Windows is placing ads in their OS, trying to require a Microsoft cloud account, and, Microsoft is not the troll? I'm getting that right?

Dear Microsoft (and rabid fanboi base),

If you want "it" to stop, stop providing us with the source material to work with.

It turns itself back on, even if disabled by GPO or registry the executable is still running.
I know that issue and it was a pita finding the specific GPO settings to make it behave like you'd expect. PM me and I can retrieve me settings for you if you care haha

It gives tweakers something to do, always.
I've been debloating, whatever you want to call it, since Win95.
It gets challenging particularly with Defender removal with each iteration.

I had this same thought also ... how Windows 10 (20H2 and later) and Windows 11 are similar in how W95 and W98 had to be tweaked and tweaked more to get a decent experience out of the box.

Does Powershell and:
Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name Windows-Defender
No longer work??

disable tamper protection in windows defender
open gpedit.msc > computer configuration > administrative templates > windows components > microsoft defender antivirus > double click it and enable "Turn off Microsoft Defender Antivirus"
reboot

1713659613883.png

1713659651693.png

No kidding. The Linux trolls are in every windows thread!
When Microsoft and Apple screws up, you do need an alternative. A Duopoly isn't exactly healthy, and you can't even install MacOS on your Windows machine anyway. So when Microsoft does screw up by pushing ads into your OS, and even blocks customization apps that bring back the Windows 10 look then what are you going to do? I can make my Linux look more like Windows 10 than Windows 11 without the need of some crazy software. At the end of the day, it's Microsoft's Windows, not GoldenTiger's Windows. They can do what they want with their OS, like patch it with ads and etc. With Linux I can do whatever I want whenever I want. If Linux Mint decides to put ads in my start menu, you can bet I'll first remove the start menu and then switch to a different distro where I don't have to fight them every time I update my OS. You can feel free to go in the corner and roll over to any anti-consumer changes Microsoft makes to your copy of Windows, cause that's literally all you can do. Go ahead and try not updating to Windows 11 because eventually you have no choice.
but all of our games don't work on linux right?
The only games that don't work are the ones with intrusive DRM, which are usually online games. Only the games with seriously questionable DRM like Valorant. Games like Valheim, Palworld, and Helldivers 2 works just fine on Linux. All single players games seem to also work, with maybe some questionable glitches here and there.

Back