Trippy Apple G5 - PC Mod

Sorry about the last time, some uneventful things happened and all is good now! Going to do smaller updates from now on but at least they will be more often:

I decided to go all the way with this and get custom electronics done, it's halfway there but:
upclose2.jpg

upclose.jpg

custom.jpg

The modular breakout board is going to hide under the motherboard (I love my setup), and give me access to the front controls:
halfway.jpg

We are also planning to breakout all the backplane connections on the motherboard if time alows me to do so.

i do hope that you've tested that psu... shiny though it may be, reliability on ultra psus kinda sucks.

anyways.

i saw this a while ago, and it is still interesting. so i guess that's saying something...

can't wait for more updates.

looks aint always the think to go for in anything, that psu looks out of place the case is MAT and the psu is really shiny

HUGE update coming tonight, I promise. I may even put up a cam for you guys.. stay tuned for 7pm EST. :D

We are going to try and finish it off, w00t.

Check your PMs - if you're up for it, I'd like to feature your work in an article I'm writing for a British Mac newsstand magazine. Email me if you're interested. (That goes for anyone else here, too, that's using Macs for modding, or Mac parts for modding.)

CraigGrannell said:
Check your PMs - if you're up for it, I'd like to feature your work in an article I'm writing for a British Mac newsstand magazine. Email me if you're interested. (That goes for anyone else here, too, that's using Macs for modding, or Mac parts for modding.)
LOL, good luck with that Godspeed. I'm going to have to restart my Mac mod (see sig) back up later this Fall after I start my new job. :)

Not all the work was done as I planned, I still need to find someone that can do a custom sized acrylic window for me... if you know of anyone good that can ship to Canada please PM me! Pictures coming soon :)

Man, 2:30am, I have work at 8am tommorow... the dedication :)

Anywho, on to the important bits! I can't really talk much right now, lots of electronics were done, my great buddy Andrew is continuing to work on the motherboard backplane transplant to the back of the case, I mounted the rest of the hard drives (easier said than done)... Yada yada, I'll answer questions... BTW the video card in there is a 8MB ATI Rage Pro, the explanation to that comes later :)

The front bezel now works really well, power, light, usb and firewirehurray.. now just need to make the custom plugs again (only power button shown connection shown in photos as the rest are being changed).

halfway.jpg

mount3.jpg

mount2.jpg

mount1.jpg

in1.jpg

Some more dark shots, sorry about the quality...
out4.jpg
out3.jpg
out1.jpg
out2.jpg

Oh yeah, and the money shot, looks almost finished there (aside from the missing CD drive and laserpod mount.
halfway2.jpg

That is all, more to come soon, sorry for taking so long...

:eek: dude...........................................................
sweet............................. :cool:

very excellent job :D

im sorry if i missed this: where do you plug in stuff? keyboard / mouse / monitor etc?

el rolio said:
im sorry if i missed this: where do you plug in stuff? keyboard / mouse / monitor etc?

All the necessary back ports on the motherboard are being replicated on the back case, no pics as of yet though ;)

<3 well... hope you bring it to tfl. ill be able to see it and maybe have some good competition in the mod contest. I should have my next mod by then... we will duke it out for some nice prizes :D

i just bought my G5 case :)

cant wait to start working on it this summer.....it didn't come with the cd drive cover or the front ports so i'm trying to find those....

*wishes his thread was stickied like all the other totally awesome mods wih large amounts of page views*

Ps. I am planning on theming windows to be more mac like, don't worry about that. I want to confuse all the mac techs at my work ;)

you could make a custom theme for talisman . nice little program I found a while ago.

Nice work on putting it all together by the way, very nicely done

Wow Godspeed! I haven't checked out the thread for a while. Nice progress! I would really like to see a diagram for your airflow though. You're diagram almost looks like you're planning on blowing air in from the back, but where will it exhaust?

A G5 case with 2 120mm fans in the front, and 2 in the back all at 5v would be near silent and keep things VERY cool...but it wouldn't work with your design. I'm starting to wish I hadn't sold my G5 case....but I love my new 3700BQE :D it's practically inaudible.

Keep up the good work! (and I vote for this to be a sticky too. Great mod, great information, lots of view ;) )

DaMiEn said:
you could make a custom theme for talisman . nice little program I found a while ago.

Nice work on putting it all together by the way, very nicely done

Wowowow! This looks like it has definate potential, thanks a bunch for that link :)

that program looks mad sick. i think i will give it a try on my laptop tonight. i wonder if i can find a c__ck for it....

GodSpeed said:
*wishes his thread was stickied like all the other totally awesome mods wih large amounts of page views*

Ps. I am planning on theming windows to be more mac like, don't worry about that. I want to confuse all the mac techs at my work ;)
if you want the best mac os x theme for windows, check out FlyaKite OSX: http://osx.portraitofakite.com/logon.htm

its some really awesome stuff. :cool:

SUPERIOR IMAGE UPDATE! MAY 2nd AWESOMENESS!

Wow, yeah, sorry for the lack of updates... had a bunch of things other than this going on but here we are!

First, a shout out to one of my sponsers, Ultra! The PSU is rocking and the voltages are solid :)
ultra-whore.jpg

Ehem... well, the main issues with putting the machine together was the fact that most of the connections on the back didn't fit when I put in the tray that holds the PSU and CD drive. This was solved by Andrew by creating some custom redirectors, so without further ado:
This is with the PCI riser card which I was trying out, however this was really damaging the custom cables and isn't necessary considering I'm moving over to a PCI-E card really soon
vga-bender.jpg

So, here we are back to normal...
vga-bender-best.jpg

Next we have the custom PS2 Keyboard redirector:
keyboard-plug-2.jpg
keyboard-plug-1.jpg

*hooks it up*
keyboard-hookup.jpg

Now here was my favorite moment, I actually FOUND black sata cables, so I undid my previous mess and did this all the right way... *drool*
sexy-sata.jpg

These cables hide under the mobo tray and connect to these bad boys:
4-hds.jpg

Here are things to come, I won't go into detail as I want to get suspense going on:
ultra-white1.jpg
secret-fans.jpg

I was going to show a picture of the machine booted into windows, but I have run out of time...
rushed.jpg

Bonus image!
This is me finding out I was featured in another magazine, my enthusiasm is amazing!
ohemgee.jpg

h0razr0z! t3h m0z0rz in 73h m4gz0rz! oooemmgeeee!!!

How many magazines is it so far? :D

Nice work btw, looks awesome. I showed your case to my friend (Hes an apple guy totaly bent on doing absolutly NOTHING to his g5), and he was like "sweeet."

Yeah..........

:D

Great work so far and congrats on being in another mag! :) Which one is it?

SUPRISE UPDATE! :D :D :D
Those fans had to go somewhere, so here we have it... part one of the two part

Twin-turbine Wind Tunnel HDD cooling system
Basically cut the sheet metel (sorry no pictures, although I'm pretty proefficent with the dremel now), added blow holes and punched out the screw holes for the two fans as well as holes for later wiring.

The fans I used were these absolutely fantastic PowerLeap (which is simply a rebranded fan) used for 1U CPU cooling solutions...
fan.jpg

I then reattached the heatsinks under the metal sheet like so:
underside2.jpg

The heatsinks will be touching all 4 of the HDDs as well as blowing cool air over each one of them.
underside.jpg
topside.jpg

Next thing I snatched up this nice Enermax floppy bay controller that fits snuggly between the fans, had to clean up the mess of wiring that came with it that was WAY too long for this project:
fancontroller.jpg
backside.jpg

I'm going to be modifying it by cutting some metal and positioning it on an angle so when the case is open I can quickly adjust fan speeds by hand as well as quickly look at temprature/fan RPM.
overall-look2.jpg

More to come soon, I'm getting much more motivated and I think it's nearing completion!

Like the idea for HDD coolers but are the Heatsinks going to be in contact with the right parts of the PCB board on it? Anyway looks dam nice Hope it does not get in any MAGS lol.

And the issue has already been covered in here. Let's don't drag it out again.

godspeed: unique take on a popular mod these days. looks good!

question for you, however. have you been able to map the pins for the LED (power and HDD) on the front of the case. i've been able to trace the usb, ilink firewire, power switch, and headphone, but i've not found the LED pins... of course i'm using 3V to try and light them, might be too weak if they're 5V by default... i'm just afraid to burn them out by giving them too much juice.

thanks!

Great take on a G5 mod!!!! very clean :) Welcome to the G5 Case modders Club :D we really need our own thread ;)

The reason you are not seeing any updates is due to me being angry with the way everything is designed, I finished the cooling system and it looks pretty good but I do not enjoy the look of some of the wiring (specifically the power,oh oh)... next post will have images, don't you worry.

If for some odd reason I do switch away from the Ultra PSU, it's not because of bad performance but it would be for the clashing look of the wiring and the inability to modify the main PSU plug without some major work.

Defyant said:
Great take on a G5 mod!!!! very clean :) Welcome to the G5 Case modders Club :D we really need our own thread ;)

I second the motion... Admin? How about a G5 Mod thread?

Can anyone here recommend some sort of chem I can use to dye the IDE cable black? Permament marker is NOT permanent, it doesn't work and fades quickly.

Any suggestions? This is urgent.
Either that or custom black IDE cabling (stupidly long)

I bet what you guys are wondering what happened to this.
1) My motivation to complete this has almost dropped to zero due to this mod being really impractical hardware wise, especially getting custom DVI connectors/elongation cords to rewire it to the back of the machine
2) I was fired from my work, unrelated to this obviously. If anyone here has a position open for a graphic/web designer, please give me a PM.
3) I rather create a much more practical mod, I mean I may end up finishing this just to say I did but I would dissasemble it after and put it in a nice sexy case like a Thermaltake Armor.

Back