Trippy Apple G5 - PC Mod

COOL NEW UPDATE FEB 21st

Eureka, an update finally, sorry for the huge huge delays, I was waiting on some important stuff! First off, an updated concept of what I'm doing to the inside of the machine:
mod-concept.jpg

This is quite different than your normal ATX case, the whole mobo is rotated 90 degrees, making all the wiring go through one back port, nice and clean. I will have 4 HD's in this machine, 3 x 200gb + one main 10k RPM sata drive to rule them all. The blue in the image is simply airflow from the back fans which will actually be Apple made (thanks to my job again) and I will hopefully have speed control on them as well. Finally you see the laserpod projector projecting it's wonderful glory on to the front grill area.
To expand on the concept, here is my mobo/psu and fake HDs positioned in the some what correct positions inside the casing:
mod-inside1.jpg
mod-inside3.jpg

Ok, pictures as usual. I've finally removed the upper area of the case without many casualties...
mod-inside-fatality.jpg
mod-inside-dodad3.gif

Dual HD holder that I won't be using:
mod-inside-dodad1.jpg
mod-inside-dodad2.jpg

My sexy sexy Geil 1.0GB (2 X 512MB) PC3200 Ultra-X Plat Series... it finally came *sniff* hand picked chips, vacuum sealed and ready to kick some major ass:
mod-ram1.jpg
mod-ram2.jpg

Looks awesome! Looking forward to updates with the laserpod installed and working.

I noticed you have the mobo headers facing up, are you going to route cable extensions from the motherboard headers to the back of the case?

pilotman2004 said:
Looks awesome! Looking forward to updates with the laserpod installed and working.

I noticed you have the mobo headers facing up, are you going to route cable extensions from the motherboard headers to the back of the case?

Hopefully, I was actually planning on routing them internally like a normal mobo to the back, except all the wires twist tied together nice and clean. That is the finishing touch, but I won't get it to it now, too much metal/plastic cutting at this time.

I have a rotten Apple too:

www.apple-imod.ch.vu
and
http://apple-imod.hotspace.ch/iMod-Worklog low.pdf

My idea for your G5 PC:
Why do you don't use the inner part of a Lian-Li PC-V1000
http://silverpcs.zoovy.com/product/CS_PCV1000
to do your casemod? With the outer Part of your G5 case and
some moddifications on the Lian-Li it will lock very neer to
the G5 PowerMac. And you will have no problem to install the
PC-components.
Check out my Photosimulation:
http://213.239.195.162/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=3018&sid=18572f85152b5116e5b6ea529f8048a0
Just an idea. But,as you see a mATX mobo fits very well in a G5-case.
http://www.speakeasy.org/~gbeier/worst.casemod.ever/

i wish you a very nice day and good luck for your very interesting
"rotten Apple" project

best wishes from Rupi

Can you tell from the existing mount points in the case approximately how much bigger the G5 mobo is than the one you're using?

edit: also, looking at your diagram, what are you going to do to keep the video card from blocking all of the air that would be going to the CPU since they're right in line with eachother?

uzor said:
Can you tell from the existing mount points in the case approximately how much bigger the G5 mobo is than the one you're using?

The original mobo is approximately 17" x 11". It's huge.

sarbz said:
The original mobo is approximately 17" x 11". It's huge.

:eek: :eek:
Holy Crap!! no wonder all these PC-in-a-G5-Case mods look like a baby in a bathtub.

It might be neat to see one of these done watercooled, and build a rack to go next to the mobo to display all the WC gear, instead of trying to hide it everywhere....celebrate it!

GodSpeed said:
Unrelated, I purchased the new MX-1000 Logitech laser mouse, works AMAZING (wireless), however I cannot bind all these extra buttons inside games - counterstrike source specifically... what a waste (8 total usable buttons)
That's the reason I'm never buying another Logitech mouse until they fix their pathetic software. I've heard that using Microsoft's mouse software might help, though.

Arkham said:
That's the reason I'm never buying another Logitech mouse until they fix their pathetic software. I've heard that using Microsoft's mouse software might help, though.

OK this workaround is simple and has been around for quite some time...you simply don't install any Logitech software whatsoever.

Tough, I know :rolleyes:

uzor said:
:eek: :eek:
Holy Crap!! no wonder all these PC-in-a-G5-Case mods look like a baby in a bathtub.

It might be neat to see one of these done watercooled, and build a rack to go next to the mobo to display all the WC gear, instead of trying to hide it everywhere....celebrate it!

I like a clean looking PC that is easy enough to service but can "wow" most people not just on specs but inner/out beauty and proper cabling ;)

uzor said:

edit: also, looking at your diagram, what are you going to do to keep the video card from blocking all of the air that would be going to the CPU since they're right in line with eachother?

I'm planning on channeling the air, and I actually have special equipment so I am able to smoke the inside of the machine to see where it is going, to optimize airflow... I'll try and take videos when I'm that far in the mod :D

hikeskool said:
OK this workaround is simple and has been around for quite some time...you simply don't install any Logitech software whatsoever.

Tough, I know :rolleyes:
Yes, I know, a couple of years, and I still haven't done it myself. As a sucker for punishment, I prefer to occasionally hassle the rude-assed, unknowledgeable customer support people instead (Worst Service Evar).

Looking forward to "upgrading" my wife's kb/mouse with these fancy-lookin' Logs o'Dreck.

Arkham said:
Yes, I know, a couple of years, and I still haven't done it myself. As a sucker for punishment, I prefer to occasionally hassle the rude-assed, unknowledgeable customer support people instead (Worst Service Evar).

Looking forward to "upgrading" my wife's kb/mouse with these fancy-lookin' Logs o'Dreck.

2 things: Great city you live in, I also reside in Toronto. Another is that I wouldn't trust logitech's webcams at all... I got this "Leocos" for $35 CAD and it's GREAT, 30fps solid for a partially lit room at real 640x480, it's what I use for all the new pictures in the thread (first ones were from a crap logitech sub-brand)... What Logitech does know how to make though are the high end sound systems, I got the Z-5500 and I gotta say that it's smoking hot, plus theres a secret boost mode for the volume that goes up to 11 (rarely go even near boost volumes though).

hikeskool said:
Right, so I guess Logitech can't make anything but speakers.

I guess their acclaimed XBox and PS2 controllers are worthless, their Momo racing wheel and other PC controllers suck, the Harmony remote system is a complete waste, and their mousing innovations such as the MX series, the original "optical" trackball system, the original dual optical mouse, the entire MouseMan series, and the now-ubiquitous tear-drop design seen in OEMs everywhere count for nothing.

Logitech has this market well in hand, I think.

And if you had bothered to read his post, you'd know that the only statement that he made was that their webcams were bad, and their speakers were good. That doesn't doesn't have anything to do with the rest of their stuff.

uzor said:
What he said ---^

This is correct, the momo racing wheel is quite fun actually ^^;
But we are straying off topic! I'm posting some more mod images later on tonight, lets keep it on topic from now on.

Next updates will also include video segments of me working on stuff, as a live webcam is not practical for most folks... It's going to be a blast in the next 24 hours.

Scroll down to the bottom if you don't care and just want to see the sexy video, go ahead... :| Boy am I going to be tired for work today, the dedication I have to you people! :p

mod-diffuser.jpg
mod-diffuser2.jpg

Ok, so here's the begining work on the crown jewel of this case mod, today I dissasembled the diffusion board that I found in a florecent light unit,
Boring Video: QUICK LIGHT DISSSASEMBLY

After removing the light diffuser, it was off to the tool shop, where my dear old dad doesn't even let ME touch the dremel (buy your own he says), so I took pictures here of the arcane arts:
mod-cutting0.jpg

mod-cutting1.jpg

This diffuser ain't going anywhere!
mod-cutting2.jpg

Chop chop, the house smells of burning plastic fumes o_O
mod-cutting3.jpg

Sanding down the edges to remove any sort of molten bits

mod-crapfitting1.jpg
mod-crapfitting2.jpg

made a rough fit inside the box to see what I should expect in the end... This is just jammed in with no proper trimming, also you should note that I did not remove the area where the front controls go, this will all be done pretty soon (the control box should be arriving back modded shortly).

I did NOT expect this to be so pretty.

mod-lightani.gif
mod-lighttest2.jpg

COOLEST VIDEO IN THE THREAD TILL NOW: trippy lighting demo inside case! - Click to download. It is worth watching this video till the end as I show various angles, the side of the box (SHHH, secret stuff happening here), and the "galaxy" mode with nice blue highlights.

Oh yeah, forgot... I picked up the 3rd 200GB drive for this project... woot.. not that you care because your all stuck at the post above (if you didn't look up, you should really do so now).

mod-HD.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Must... stop... looking at prettyness...
That turned out better than I was expecting, looks so cool! I'd stick with the red mode, it looks awesome. Oh, and congrats on the new HDD! :D

Pop-Quiz: While the diffuser looks really cool, it's also blocking prolly 90+% of the front intake airflow. You gonna have enough venting to keep that system cool?

BTW, it looks MUCH better with the diffuser.

I NEED A MIRROR FOR ALL IMAGES/VIDEO, massive thanks for whoever is up to the job! PM ME! I sleep for 6 hours and my bandwidth limit is exceeded....yikes :eek:

Airflow: Yep, it's all going to be properly ventilated, do not fear :)

All images and movies were mirrored/restored. Special thanks to UZOR for providing me hosting space :cool:

RedLightning said:
Here's the guy at the computer store telling you that you suck and we don't have your screws! :D :D :D

LOL! This guy is a store owner on College St. where I was asking around for some rare Apple mounting screws, I got two so far *woot*

GodSpeed said:
LOL! This guy is a store owner on College St. where I was asking around for some rare Apple mounting screws, I got two so far *woot*
Ah-HA! The good ol' College 'n Spadina strip... ;)

Sorry for no pictures (there will be some nice quality ones soon, I promise)...
  • Front diffuser board was cut to proper size and the area for the front bezel contronls was cut out as well, nice tight fit :)
  • Mounting the HDs on the bottom of the case. Got some nice L mounts for them.
  • PSU mounting is in progress :D

Wow, now why hasn't there been a substantial update in a while? In as few words as possible*:
drunk.jpg

After being revived from my blinded enraged state I brought my amazing friend, Andrew! He will be doing some custom electrical work on this thing to get it looking/working even better. We will have a custom PCB hiding under the mobo mount that will work as the breakout box for the front controls as well as some other stuff that we may decide to add in. This will remove a bunch of the clutter... cool eh? I feel a great bond growing between everyone working on the case mod, maybe we may end up being East Coast Modders? :p

Andrew hard at work soldering the front controller into something comprehensible:
soldering1.jpg
soldering2.jpg

This is how we will be mounting the HD's on to the bottom of the casing:
hd-bracket2.jpg
hd-bracket3.jpg

hd-bracket1.jpg

Measure twice, cut once.. or in this case many many more times... time to drill the holes in the case! You can't really see it here, but the whole thing is covered in pencil markings to drill holes in the mobo mount and the bottom of the case:
case_measurement.jpg

hd-cutting1.jpg
hd-cutting4.jpg

hd-cutting3.jpg

Coming soon, mounting of the PSU and upper body... Yes that's an ATI card that I can't use in this build being reflected on the shiny surface.
psu.jpg

*ISOPROPANOL WILL MAKE YOU NUTS AND BLIND, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF ACTUALLY DRINKING IT YOU CRAZY ANIMAL

i just noticed u plan to mount ur hd's to the bottom of the case.... now is that really wise to do with not much of a ground from static e?
or do you plan to put it on case feet or a compy stand?
(yes i said compy w00t!)
looks good though. also how much did the laser defuser cost? i want 1 !!!

... it's good to be grounded to the case. It will automatically disperse static electricity if it is connected to the case by metal, and then the motherboard is on metal risers. Furthermore, MOLEX connecters offer decent grounding to the powersupply.

This looks very attractive, and I love the irony. I wish I had a g5 case to work with, those things have got to be some of the best boxes made. Keep us posted.

i have figured out the power button. there are 3 leads coming off it. the middle and lead closest the side of the case w/o the removeable door are the ones for the power switch. the lead closest to the door is for the white light that should illuminate when the machine is on. it appears that the power button should glow. glow green or some color inside the button. i havn't gotten that far yet. someone said up above that it dosn't glow.

alrighty. as far as making the white dot glow. the middle is white and the one closer to the door is green. i was just hooking them up to a running pc and testing them.

http://www.mud-slingers.com/images/g5/g5.htm]power switch[/URL]

apple g5's.... for that matter all apple buttons glow white when on, and pulse white when alseep. i love apple computer buttons meng.

el rolio said:
apple g5's.... for that matter all apple buttons glow white when on, and pulse white when alseep. i love apple computer buttons meng.

Yeah, that's what made me obsessed with apple, the nice soft fading glow when you have a machine sleeping, it's almost like it is breathing.

hahaha, not to be off topic or anything, but when i put my sis in college few years abck and i made her get an ibook instead of dells like the rest of her classmates (who all have gotten new comps since) she used to call me almost every day that first semester shrieking about something new and cool she learnt to do on her "baby" and i distinctly remember when she called to tell me she almost had a faux arguement with a roomate over making too much noise when her "baby was sleping".

hilarious. anyhoo back to the mod! sorry for being off topic, but anecdotes are awesome!

el rolio said:
hahaha, not to be off topic or anything, but when i put my sis in college few years abck and i made her get an ibook instead of dells like the rest of her classmates (who all have gotten new comps since) she used to call me almost every day that first semester shrieking about something new and cool she learnt to do on her "baby" and i distinctly remember when she called to tell me she almost had a faux arguement with a roomate over making too much noise when her "baby was sleping".

hilarious. anyhoo back to the mod! sorry for being off topic, but anecdotes are awesome!

lol.

Major Update March 20th.

Sadly not many pictures but I hope they will sate your appetite as lots of progress has been made.... The main thing done was remounting the top plate that holds the PSU and CD drive. I had to cut holes in the bottom of the plate to allow the lower fan of the PSU to breath and generally push air into the case. There are about 27 different things that needed to go in at once, and I believe I can now do this whole mounting process with my eyes closed, the reason for this is that we had to totally undo the setup a few times so the plate would shift into the right position.

Anywho, to the pictures:
Custom mounts for the PSU so it doesn't shift, perfectionism :)
psu-mounts.jpg
psu-back.jpg

Just to show you how shiny the damn thing is, if you were making a chrome machine, these PSUs are for you!
psu-shiny.jpg
psu-front.jpg

Here is the bottom shot of the PSU, sadly I am not a dremel god and luckly this won't be an angle usually seen in public:
psu-bottom.jpg

Just a quick mention, here is the empty cd drive hull waiting for the cargo:
cd-area.jpg

And now, for the nerdiest way to wire up your drives when they are already screwed into the bottom of the case... using the webcam to get where your eyes can't :)
sata-plug1.jpg
sata-plug2.jpg

Two more to go...
drives-top.jpg
drives-side.jpg

Oh right, and those cables were never black, go go gadget permanent marker!
sata-coloring.jpg

Ever had one of those days where you suddenly realize not everything is what it's cracked up to be?

Right, after getting back from work, I started to do some work on the case when I came to a startiling realization that the HD mounting system was created UPSIDE DOWN. Yes, the whole thing needs to be drilled again so it can be the right side up... then more news came when I realized measurements for the wiring behind the PSU were incorrect so I had to remove the top PSU mount again... so the whole thing is being moved up right to the grill, hopefully all will end up well. I can't loose hope but it's pretty dissapointing to find so many errors so late into the creation of the unit, gotta get the right measurements next time :(

Theres already a nice chunk of the back side of the case missing due to creating a PSU outlet area, but it should be pretty well hidden once we are done

Back