Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Begins Tomorrow

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Nov 3, 2011.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

The folks at Hi-Rez Studios have confirmed that the Tribes: Ascend closed beta begins tomorrow. As a fan of the original Tribes, I am seriously looking forward to this game. Hit the link to sign up for the CB.

2. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

I was only 12 when I played Tribes 2 but it was my favorite game of all time and was basically my training for all PC FPS games I play today.

3. Cube

Cube [H]ard|Gawd

Another good pc game series ruined by console noobs.

Do not want.

4. Blakestr

Blakestr [H]ard|Gawd

this....

shifter mod was the best

5. Spewn

Spewn 2[H]4U

Thanks Steve! I'm gonna sign-up right now, hopefully I'll get in. I saw Total Biscuit playing Tribes at um...Gamescom or something? Whatever the recent show was that he went to. Anyway, it looked fun, I'd love to give it a try.

Keep your eyes open for Firefall info as well! I'm already signed-up for that one, although they've been less than clear about exactly when anyone might get to beta-test anything.

6. Ocean

Ocean [H]ardness Supreme

i might just buy it already at $30. t2 was my favorite.

7. jflail2

jflail2 Gawd

Haha, retarded. I tried to use my usual gaming name, GlassPheasant, and apparently I was denied registration b/c it contains ass.

Fucking idiots, back to BF3 for me.

8. Weenis

Weenis I said WEENIS, not...

I loved T1/t2.. hell 33% off and guaranteed beta is a pretty sweet deal.

The alpha was alright.. a few things to fix and I'm sure the rabid fan base will lock down getting them on target

9. dderidex

dderidex [H]ardness Supreme

That Diamond Sword fellow...

[​IMG]

...has a sword.

Can you use that in the game?

10. Sgraffite

Sgraffite 2[H]4U

Diamond Sword scores!

11. $trider

$trider [H]Lite

I can't say anything......but you never know when the economy might get worse. So you might want to save your money. It would be bad if you couldn't afford food when the economy goes bad. That $30 might be spent on more useful things.......just saying. Huge Tribes fan here too. T1,T2, 2 weeks of Vengeance.

12. c0mad0r

c0mad0r Limp Gawd

For a game series that has offered much enjoyment to over a million people, I'd say $30 is easier to swallow than a $50+ BF3 pricetag. I'm waiting for reviews before biting the bullet on this one, but I can none the less say that $30 is a minimal impact to most americans seeking a good time... Hell, going to the movies costs less!

13. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I'm confused...I thought this was F2P. What's with the "30-day booster" you get from preordering? I can understand the gold or whatever; I assume you use it to buy other items, but not getting what the "booster" is.

14. SXO

SXO Limp Gawd

I really hope this turns out well. I played the first Tribes when it first launched and loved it, and tried Tribes 2 but didn't stick around for it.

15. dderidex

dderidex [H]ardness Supreme

A 'booster' is something you buy and decide when to trigger. Once triggered, for the duration of the booster, you earn double XP points on anything you do (the XP being used to unlock various new capabilities/armor/weapons/etc).

16. Greene420

Greene420 Gawd

Man, like I said early this year... 2012 is going to KICKASS for PC gaming. Wayyyy better than the late 2000s...

17. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

Same. Will be very interested to see the impressions of the testers. I'm almost hoping it isn't any good, because if it is, between Tribes, BF3, Skyrim, D3...any semblance of a social life will be completely gone.

18. Valshistixol

Valshistixol [H]ard|Gawd

This is a PC exclusive made by a PC only company. I got in and I'm ready to play. :D

19. Xrave

Xrave [H]ardness Supreme

The first Tribes was and is still my favorite FPS. I spent so many hours in that game...

20. Omegas

Omegas [H]ardForum Junkie

Fckin A Can't wait to MA some poor bastard with a nice disc to the face!

21. Monkey34

Monkey34 [H]ardness Supreme

I'll try it when it opens.

FYI: Tribes2 is still an active community - just a smaller one now.;)

Join up and keep it alive! Tribesnext

22. OEM

OEM [H]ard as it Gets

What? Are you some kind of speculator? "Can't say anything" seems kind of suspicious. Do you have a glass ball or something?

I'm greatly confused by your post. Why would you post something like that here?

23. BDS23

BDS23 Limp Gawd

*sigh* I missed the original Tribes. Thank God this is a PC exclusive.

24. PanzeR-

PanzeR- Limp Gawd

it is free to play, but knowing the dev and how global agenda turned out, it will be pay to win.

25. Valshistixol

Valshistixol [H]ard|Gawd

How was GA pay to win exactly?

26. BBA

BBA [H]ardness Supreme

They lost my interest with this statement: Player advancement in terms of rank, class unlocks, and skill progression

27. $trider

$trider [H]Lite

I can't say anything for legal reasons..........

28. $trider

$trider [H]Lite

I am a huge Tribes fan and have played it for years. http://www.tribesnext.com/ Tribes 2 community is still alive. And it truly is free 2 play with years of community mods and support. And no janky ass blue border holding me back............

29. Lavacon

Lavacon n00b

You can't say when or why the economy is going to get worse for legal reasons? Interesting.

On the bright side, hyper inflation would make that $30 an even better deal.

30. DeathPrincess

DeathPrincess [H]ard as it Gets

How would he even reach it? :D

31. tikicult

tikicult [H]ard|Gawd

32. NickJames

NickJames [H]ardness Supreme

WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! SHUT UP! WOOOHOOO!!! WOOOHOOO!!! I AM THE GREATEST!

33. MattyC

MattyC Gawd

This is pretty much how I feel. The second one was just horribly buggy. Maybe they fixed it later on, but I had lost interest by then.

34. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

They pretty much did. But yeah, it did take several patches.

35. SXO

SXO Limp Gawd

Yea, I couldn't run the game more than a few minutes without crashing and lost interest. But I still have fond memories of how unique the Tribes experience was, especially at that time.

36. iLLuSioN

iLLuSioN Limp Gawd

TribesNext....: Players online: 287 (196 bots) meh.

I bought the VIP started package for Tribes: Ascend to get into the beta and so far I am really liking it, of course it is still a beta product with room for improvement but it does have some of that old Tribes 1 feel that I have been missing for so many years. I have a feeling the closer it gets to launch the more it will feel like the true successor to a great old game. Time will tell.

37. rudy

rudy [H]ardForum Junkie

I am really happy it will be F2P, these days without a 40 million dollar budget you just cannot advertise enough to make a game go. You also need to put it on consoles. But the F2P model has shown with games like TF2, and LoL that if there is no cost barrier you can get alot of people to try the game. At this point I could care less if it is lacking in various areas ANYTHING has to be better than Call of battle field counter duty modern warefare 18 alpha.

38. Krazyxazn

Krazyxazn Limp Gawd