Tribes: Ascend Closed Beta Begins Tomorrow

HardOCP News

[H] News
The folks at Hi-Rez Studios have confirmed that the Tribes: Ascend closed beta begins tomorrow. As a fan of the original Tribes, I am seriously looking forward to this game. Hit the link to sign up for the CB.

Studio representatives also announced that no character wipes are planned during Beta. Player advancement in terms of rank, class unlocks, and skill progression will carry forward beyond Closed Beta, into Open Beta and into Release. Previous Tribes titles have been played by well over 1 million gamers and feature fast-paced, jetpack-enabled multiplayer combat. Tribes: Ascend continues this tradition, delivering speed, verticality, vehicles and stunning graphics within an entirely new, free-to-play game for the PC.

I was only 12 when I played Tribes 2 but it was my favorite game of all time and was basically my training for all PC FPS games I play today.

Another good pc game series ruined by console noobs.

Do not want.

Thanks Steve! I'm gonna sign-up right now, hopefully I'll get in. I saw Total Biscuit playing Tribes at um...Gamescom or something? Whatever the recent show was that he went to. Anyway, it looked fun, I'd love to give it a try.

Keep your eyes open for Firefall info as well! I'm already signed-up for that one, although they've been less than clear about exactly when anyone might get to beta-test anything.

i might just buy it already at $30. t2 was my favorite.

Haha, retarded. I tried to use my usual gaming name, GlassPheasant, and apparently I was denied registration b/c it contains ass.

Fucking idiots, back to BF3 for me.

I loved T1/t2.. hell 33% off and guaranteed beta is a pretty sweet deal.

The alpha was alright.. a few things to fix and I'm sure the rabid fan base will lock down getting them on target

That Diamond Sword fellow...

1320337315aSljmJk3HM_1_1_l.jpg

...has a sword.

Can you use that in the game?

I can't say anything......but you never know when the economy might get worse. So you might want to save your money. It would be bad if you couldn't afford food when the economy goes bad. That $30 might be spent on more useful things.......just saying. Huge Tribes fan here too. T1,T2, 2 weeks of Vengeance.

I can't say anything......but you never know when the economy might get worse. So you might want to save your money. It would be bad if you couldn't afford food when the economy goes bad. That $30 might be spent on more useful things.......just saying. Huge Tribes fan here too. T1,T2, 2 weeks of Vengeance.

For a game series that has offered much enjoyment to over a million people, I'd say $30 is easier to swallow than a $50+ BF3 pricetag. I'm waiting for reviews before biting the bullet on this one, but I can none the less say that $30 is a minimal impact to most americans seeking a good time... Hell, going to the movies costs less!

I'm confused...I thought this was F2P. What's with the "30-day booster" you get from preordering? I can understand the gold or whatever; I assume you use it to buy other items, but not getting what the "booster" is.

I really hope this turns out well. I played the first Tribes when it first launched and loved it, and tried Tribes 2 but didn't stick around for it.

I'm confused...I thought this was F2P. What's with the "30-day booster" you get from preordering? I can understand the gold or whatever; I assume you use it to buy other items, but not getting what the "booster" is.

A 'booster' is something you buy and decide when to trigger. Once triggered, for the duration of the booster, you earn double XP points on anything you do (the XP being used to unlock various new capabilities/armor/weapons/etc).

Man, like I said early this year... 2012 is going to KICKASS for PC gaming. Wayyyy better than the late 2000s...

I really hope this turns out well. I played the first Tribes when it first launched and loved it, and tried Tribes 2 but didn't stick around for it.

Same. Will be very interested to see the impressions of the testers. I'm almost hoping it isn't any good, because if it is, between Tribes, BF3, Skyrim, D3...any semblance of a social life will be completely gone.

The first Tribes was and is still my favorite FPS. I spent so many hours in that game...

Fckin A Can't wait to MA some poor bastard with a nice disc to the face!

I'll try it when it opens.

FYI: Tribes2 is still an active community - just a smaller one now.;)

Join up and keep it alive! Tribesnext

What? Are you some kind of speculator? "Can't say anything" seems kind of suspicious. Do you have a glass ball or something?

I'm greatly confused by your post. Why would you post something like that here?

*sigh* I missed the original Tribes. Thank God this is a PC exclusive.

it is free to play, but knowing the dev and how global agenda turned out, it will be pay to win.

They lost my interest with this statement: Player advancement in terms of rank, class unlocks, and skill progression

What? Are you some kind of speculator? "Can't say anything" seems kind of suspicious. Do you have a glass ball or something?

I'm greatly confused by your post. Why would you post something like that here?

I can't say anything for legal reasons..........

I am a huge Tribes fan and have played it for years. http://www.tribesnext.com/ Tribes 2 community is still alive. And it truly is free 2 play with years of community mods and support. And no janky ass blue border holding me back............

I can't say anything for legal reasons..........

You can't say when or why the economy is going to get worse for legal reasons? Interesting.

On the bright side, hyper inflation would make that $30 an even better deal.

This is pretty much how I feel. The second one was just horribly buggy. Maybe they fixed it later on, but I had lost interest by then.

This is pretty much how I feel. The second one was just horribly buggy. Maybe they fixed it later on, but I had lost interest by then.

They pretty much did. But yeah, it did take several patches.

Yea, I couldn't run the game more than a few minutes without crashing and lost interest. But I still have fond memories of how unique the Tribes experience was, especially at that time.

TribesNext....: Players online: 287 (196 bots) meh.

I bought the VIP started package for Tribes: Ascend to get into the beta and so far I am really liking it, of course it is still a beta product with room for improvement but it does have some of that old Tribes 1 feel that I have been missing for so many years. I have a feeling the closer it gets to launch the more it will feel like the true successor to a great old game. Time will tell.

I am really happy it will be F2P, these days without a 40 million dollar budget you just cannot advertise enough to make a game go. You also need to put it on consoles. But the F2P model has shown with games like TF2, and LoL that if there is no cost barrier you can get alot of people to try the game. At this point I could care less if it is lacking in various areas ANYTHING has to be better than Call of battle field counter duty modern warefare 18 alpha.

Back