Torchlight 2

How does dual-wielding work in this game? Is it similar to D3 where you alternate hits but gain a 15% attack speed bonus or what? If all you get is the execute chance, well that seems pretty mediocre compared to a shield (at least on berserkers). Especially since I've put 5 points total into focus at level 30.

Also, I like how easy it is to find at least 2-3 set items together, but none of the set bonuses have been worth using for more than... 5 levels tops. Maybe once I get higher level and the progression slows a bit?

Berserkers have the slash attack, execute chance, and it seems like Frenzy is hitting with both weps more often than not. Plus more potential gem slots, and your fist weps ignore armor.

It's insane to see how fast a Berserker can mow down large groups of mobs. I'll probably never play another class.

Overall, while TL2 is much fun, I like grinding out gems and looking for matched sets in TL1 better. TL2 does a lot of things right, however.

The bird stacks were fucking annoying.

Last edited:
CCD3D408CCDE514CF544EDBB8A0421EBE8744F12

This thing made veteran too easy. I'm level 16 now and almost at act II. Exclusively using only the flame hammer skill, don't need anything else.

Yeah, I've found 2 uniques that weren't Outlander-only, and I'm not an outlander.

That axe is bonkers though :eek:. I may have to give up on dual wielding in favour of some silly 2 handed thing :(

I really like Execute procs haha, even if I don't get that many.

I've remade my outlander like 4 or 5 times now. At least leveling is relatively fast :p I'm slightly annoyed that there's hard caps for dodge/crit chance. Kind of wanted to go pure dex or heavy dex to get really really high dodge/crit.

The game is fun and I'm loving it but D3 just has a lot more polish. Certain things piss me off about TL2, namely, the random, hey you clicked your skill but fuck it let's move you closer to the mob for some unknown reason. Especially frustrating on bosses because sometimes the game will move me right into a huge telegraphed attack and it results in me getting smushed.

Also, just to add fuel to the fire. In D3 I found nearly all of my drops for my monk. Granted it took a lot of grinding in A1/A2 but still :p

In TL2, on my outlander, I've found every kind of unique item for every other class BUT my outlander(weapons, armors, rings, etc). Which means my friend's zerker/engy/embermage are all getting decked out while I'm lagging behind :(

So in short, RNG is a mother fucker.

Last edited:
I've remade my outlander like 4 or 5 times now. At least leveling is relatively fast :p I'm slightly annoyed that there's hard caps for dodge/crit chance. Kind of wanted to go pure dex or heavy dex to get really really high dodge/crit.

The game is fun and I'm loving it but D3 just has a lot more polish. Certain things piss me off about TL2, namely, the random, hey you clicked your skill but fuck it let's move you closer to the mob for some unknown reason. Especially frustrating on bosses because sometimes the game will move me right into a huge telegraphed attack and it results in me getting smushed.

Also, just to add fuel to the fire. In D3 I found nearly all of my drops for my monk. Granted it took a lot of grinding in A1/A2 but still :p

In TL2, on my outlander, I've found every kind of unique item for every other class BUT my outlander(weapons, armors, rings, etc). Which means my friend's zerker/engy/embermage are all getting decked out while I'm lagging behind :(

Ha ha darn. I had the opposite experience but like you said RNG is bishe!

Just the opposite for me. In D3 my DH found maybe 3 good items for himself and nothing good to AH for any class. After several weeks of farming act one inferno I gave up. Also didn't really like how some items like a wand would have a strength bonus.

TL2 on the other hand I have found a lot of things for my outlander. Actually it had been a pretty even spread of useful items for all classes. And the stats on the items make sense to me.

Picked it up tonight for $16. I'm enjoying the diversion from gw2. I wonder if this will play nice with my igp. Getting tired of hearing my 460 wailing like a banshee.

Does this game need any ports forwarded? Nobody ever seems to join my public game.

I love it. I had zero interest in Diablo Auction House version and have never played it. TL2 does needs some work. Stats and other things about damage and such should be more explained. The story is weak but there. Its a simple, fun hack and slash with lots of loot.

No crashes, no obvious bugs or issues. I find the graphics to be very nice. Performance is great even at 2560x1440 resolution.

Overall, for $20 is a steal. I will certainly complete it with one character and roll some others later.

Does this game need any ports forwarded? Nobody ever seems to join my public game.

I've been having odd issues with trying to get games going with friends. We can all have our games going fine, but none of us can find each others' games in the browser. So we can't join each other. It doesn't make much sense. What they need to do, is implement steam invites!

Last edited:
I've been having odd issues with trying to get games going with friends. We can all have our games going fine, but none of us can find each others' games in the browser. So we can't join each other. It doesn't make much sense. What they need to do, is implement steam invites!
There is a friends list I see. If they are in a game you can't just click on their name and hit join game?

There is a friends list I see. If they are in a game you can't just click on their name and hit join game?

Not that I've seen. Prettymuch only the ability to add friends to your list, or block people. When you click on a friend's name in your list, you can block them. That's about it.

Not that I've seen. Prettymuch only the ability to add friends to your list, or block people. When you click on a friend's name in your list, you can block them. That's about it.
I'm really not sure what the point of having a friends list is if you can't interact with them at all. Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 made it pretty easy to jump into friends games. They should just take your friends list from steam just like borderlands 2 did as you mentioned. I also like how you could pick what quest you wanted to join or start for an online game in diablo 3.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what the point of having a friends list is if you can't interact with them at all. Diablo 3 and Borderlands 2 made it pretty easy to jump into friends games. They should just take your friends list from steam just like borderlands 2 did as you mentioned. I also like how you could pick what quest you wanted to join or start for an online game in diablo 3.

Yeah, that's one area that D3 definitely has the upper hand in.

Haven't tried any multiplayer myself but according to friends the LAN system works great ;)

I'm still slowly playing this. It hasn't really grabbed my attention yet.

Got up to Act 3 today, level 38 Outlander, DAMN it gets hard now. I didnt die at all, through act 1 and 2, now im dien bad. My Shadowling bats are crazy good though. Cant wait to get the Shadowling super creature (cant remeber what its called). That and Glaive have been it for me so far skill wise, and akimbo, but I ended up using a 2H crossbow that does crazy damage.

On the right side, there should be a tick mark for you to only show friend games. Have you tried that?

I've put three hours into this so far. It feels faster and more fluid than that-other-game-that-shall-not-be-mentioned. It is hard to stop playing once you've been playing for more than 10 minutes...quite addictive. Very fun game.

I kind of glossed over this one because of BL2 and GW2. I got a chance to play it for a few hours and, damn, it's a great game!

TL2 is so damn packed full of features it's nuts. The gear is amazing. the gems are amazing and diverse. sets are plentiful! I had a full lvl 3 blue set!

Fishing, pets, buff pots! Large outdoor areas that you actually felt like you had to explore.

And how is it that between D3 and TL2, Torchlight is the one which included the horadric cube...?

I haven't even started this game up...pre-ordered it and then got sucked into BL2. :(

Downloaded and played some of the Demo -- up to level 8 now I Think.

It's fun -- it's Diablo3 not taking itself too seriously, just kicking back and having FUN! Which is the entire point. Screw the money grab auction house, and super serious world domination players.

I just bought Borderlands2 -- and enjoying that as well -- for 20 dollars Torchlight is just damn awesome.

Pretty much same thing happened to me, which is weird since I was really enjoying BL2.

I've been playing both, but then I got a key for Path of Exile and I started playing Gnomoria and I'm starting to get confused. :confused:

Man I have re-rolled 12-13 times not. I still see new random stuff in the environment. I can't wait until the mod community starts rolling with this.

Man I have re-rolled 12-13 times not. I still see new random stuff in the environment. I can't wait until the mod community starts rolling with this.

I think thats whats gonna truly make or break this game. TL2 has established itself in the short week its been out now, but the mod community is whats going to ensure that TL2 has a long running history.

So far for me its not too bad a game at all. The story line is as weak as Australian Lager though and maybe I am playing it wrong or missing something but I have no empathy for my character really. The mechanics of the game are sound but the storytelling and atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired. Given that I do wonder how it took them so long to get this out. But it is still a good game.

So far for me its not too bad a game at all. The story line is as weak as Australian Lager though and maybe I am playing it wrong or missing something but I have no empathy for my character really. The mechanics of the game are sound but the storytelling and atmosphere leaves a lot to be desired. Given that I do wonder how it took them so long to get this out. But it is still a good game.

Not to mention the netcode is really really really terrible....:eek:

This game is amazing and better than Diablo 3 by miles. I just now got to act 2 after putting in over 12 hours of gameplay into the game (elite mode). I thought that I was going into act 3 after clearing the ice area but low and behold.....I was just finishing act 1.....talk about value for your dollar. Really looking forward to finishing up my dual pistol crit/dmg build and continuing on in new game+ mode while possibly rolling a melee aoe tank or an outlander Necro style build.

This game is amazing and better than Diablo 3 by miles. I just now got to act 2 after putting in over 12 hours of gameplay into the game (elite mode). I thought that I was going into act 3 after clearing the ice area but low and behold.....I was just finishing act 1.....talk about value for your dollar. Really looking forward to finishing up my dual pistol crit/dmg build and continuing on in new game+ mode while possibly rolling a melee aoe tank or an outlander Necro style build.

Yea that's really the best part about this game, and worst part about D3... in TL2, there are builds that you actually build!!!!

Question for everyone...

Don't you guys think the passives vastly over power the active skills? They are just so much better, from what I can see.

That said, what active skills have you guys been using?

I myself was thinking of remaking my embermage and going passive (wand chaos and staff mastery or wahtever it's called) with magma and probably a staff in hand.

Do enemies have immunities later in the game?

I'm finding no respec to be very annoying, there are too many games out for me to spend 20 hours to get up high enough to try each build. Each class I can understand, but not if I want to try lightning, ice, or a hybrid build. 3 points isn't enough, I can't compare damage of my lvl 10 magma spear to a lvl3 lightning or ice ability, and like serpent stated, passives make a big difference too.

As it stands I'm just maxing out 2 attacks, 1 shield buff, and 2 passives. As a max/min-er, I'd rather be a master of few than a jack of all trades.

I've been loving it.

When i had issues not being able to see/join my friends games it was because I'd gotten the latest patch and they hadn't. TL2 won't allow different versions to see each others games. It'd be nice if they said that somewhere though.

Yeah, really wish I could do a full respec. It should cost a ton of gold, but I'd like the option.

Back