Too pumped up, can't wait for Mad Max game, so installing Rage...

It's negligible for me. I mean, sure, I can MAKE it happen by whipping the mouse 360 at a ridiculous rate. In reality though, I never see it because that's not what I'm doing. I'm playing the game. The new Wolfenstein games have twice the texture data as RAGE, and I think it's even less noticeable on those, so they must have done a bit of optimization there. I think I could still get it to happen, but I haven't once noticed it. (and I do pay attention just out of habit as an enthusiast) If it was truly invasive I'd be faulting it for sure, but it is SO insignificant at this point that it doesn't register. I use VSync, GPU Transcoding, use NV hardware, and have played all of the above on both SSDs and mechanical drives. Anyone worried about this should just relax, and play the game. It's a non-issue. I know it WAS a much bigger issue, and on specific hardware at one point, but it's not now. Honestly Unreal based games that cache their textures at the beginning of levels are more distracting to me, (even though it disappears completely after that.)

For whatever reason, my HD, older components (760 and i5-2400), the texture popping was very problematic as it was very noticeable at all times. Took me out of the experience. When I bought the 760 a while ago, that was when I tried the game again thinking maybe things got better, but it was not much better than the issues I saw with my old 6850 card years ago when the game came out.

For whatever reason, my HD, older components (760 and i5-2400), the texture popping was very problematic as it was very noticeable at all times. Took me out of the experience. When I bought the 760 a while ago, that was when I tried the game again thinking maybe things got better, but it was not much better than the issues I saw with my old 6850 card years ago when the game came out.

That's strange. It doesn't happen badly on my living-room machine either, which is an X58 Xeon with a 660 in it. Of course on that machine I use a gamepad, so I can't whip the view around quite as fast. Still though, while I'm sure I could make it happen, I haven't noticed while playing on this system.

I wonder if there is a difference in our settings. I typically use little to no AA as it's not all that important to me in most games. However, I put everything else up. I use VSync, and as I mentioned also have the GPU transcoding turned on. Can't think of anything else that should be different. If anything I'd think that your 760 would do better.

If true then that's the worst thing I've ever heard.

id themselves verified this - Zenimax said having the game on more than 3 DVDs would have cost way too much for them, eating into profits. If I can find a source I'll update this post.

FWIW my i7 2600 and 960 stutter like a bitch running this, even with double the system RAM and a faster mechanical drive than my C2Q system - and then it didn't seem half as pronounced as it does going back now... Perhaps transcoding was tuned for the 5xx series?

That's strange. It doesn't happen badly on my living-room machine either, which is an X58 Xeon with a 660 in it. Of course on that machine I use a gamepad, so I can't whip the view around quite as fast. Still though, while I'm sure I could make it happen, I haven't noticed while playing on this system.

I wonder if there is a difference in our settings. I typically use little to no AA as it's not all that important to me in most games. However, I put everything else up. I use VSync, and as I mentioned also have the GPU transcoding turned on. Can't think of anything else that should be different. If anything I'd think that your 760 would do better.

I also use a gamepad (DS3). Textures still page in visibly transcoding or no, and stutters like a mo-fo.

For reference, my settings are:

1920x1080 with 4x MSAA
"high" anisotropy
"large" texture cache
detail textures set to "on"

Stuttering persists even with a 30fps cap through nVIDIA control panel.

Last edited:
I don't use AA (or sometimes 2x on games that seem a little more jagged) because I prefer to crank other settings instead. That would be about the only difference between our settings. (that and I run things at 60fps...)

Mine is locked at 60fps with zero drops on:
660 - AMD X3 720@3GHz - 4GB RAM - Platter
660Ti - Xeon [email protected] - 12GB RAM - Platter
970 - [email protected] - 16GB RAM - SSD

at 1080 all non-AA settings all the way up, transcoding enabled, Vsync On.

Other than keeping the Windows installs pretty clean, and NV drivers updated, nothing special is going on. I do see a small amount of the texture streaming/pop-in under extreme conditions, but not much during normal play. (so that is still there a tiny bit, just not enough to be distracting) As far as stutter though, the game seriously flies at 60fps with no drops, locked at sync. (smooth as silk) At the settings I mention above. In fact, I've had it running with no AA, lowered AF, but otherwise high settings at 60fps on a lowly 650Ti. (and my old original system was an i7-920 with GTX 460 in it when the game shipped) Never had a frame rate / stutter issue.

Maybe it's AA with this game?

For comparison purposes, Wolfenstein TNO/TOB perform very similarly, though I've only played them on the 970 and 660Ti based systems. Once again, I think AA is the only thing I don't use, everything else pushed way up if not maxed. (not scientific I know, but I'm someone that only plays with VSync on because I can't stand stuttering, tearing, rate drops, etc. I adjust settings to make that happen in everything I play, which usually only consists of me dropping AA, and occasionally high AO settings.)

I don't use AA (or sometimes 2x on games that seem a little more jagged) because I prefer to crank other settings instead. That would be about the only difference between our settings. (that and I run things at 60fps...)

Mine is locked at 60fps with zero drops on:
660 - AMD X3 720@3GHz - 4GB RAM - Platter
660Ti - Xeon [email protected] - 12GB RAM - Platter
970 - [email protected] - 16GB RAM - SSD

at 1080 all non-AA settings all the way up, transcoding enabled, Vsync On.

Other than keeping the Windows installs pretty clean, and NV drivers updated, nothing special is going on. I do see a small amount of the texture streaming/pop-in under extreme conditions, but not much during normal play. (so that is still there a tiny bit, just not enough to be distracting) As far as stutter though, the game seriously flies at 60fps with no drops, locked at sync. (smooth as silk) At the settings I mention above. In fact, I've had it running with no AA, lowered AF, but otherwise high settings at 60fps on a lowly 650Ti. (and my old original system was an i7-920 with GTX 460 in it when the game shipped) Never had a frame rate / stutter issue.

Maybe it's AA with this game?

For comparison purposes, Wolfenstein TNO/TOB perform very similarly, though I've only played them on the 970 and 660Ti based systems. Once again, I think AA is the only thing I don't use, everything else pushed way up if not maxed. (not scientific I know, but I'm someone that only plays with VSync on because I can't stand stuttering, tearing, rate drops, etc. I adjust settings to make that happen in everything I play, which usually only consists of me dropping AA, and occasionally high AO settings.)

I agree with you completely to the point that detail settings take precedent over anti-aliasing, but IF I have the extra performance to spare, AA always gets enabled, provided it doesn't cause visual glitches. Usually starts with me enabling FXAA, and ends with 4 or 8x MSAA with SGSSAA on top for games that are a pushover for my 960 (Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect trilogy, Dead Space, CoD4, Hard Reset, etc.) If I can have smoother pixels with less aliasing, why the fuck not? Also, if a game is designed to run at 60fps on it's lead platform, I leave it that way. If not, and it's designed for 30fps and with a controller in mind, I cap it at 30 so I can go nuts with AA settings for a prettier image while avoiding lag that comes with the restriction.

I'll try it with FXAA instead of MSAA and see if that helps later on when I'm done with my ME2 Hardcore run today.

Last edited:
Rage is the name of the game...literally! :D

LOL!

(dangerous pun incoming)

Guitar.jpg

THAT ROCKS!!!

I agree with you completely to the point that detail settings take precedent over anti-aliasing, but IF I have the extra performance to spare, AA always gets enabled, provided it doesn't cause visual glitches. Usually starts with me enabling FXAA, and ends with 4 or 8x MSAA with SGSSAA on top for games that are a pushover for my 960 (Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect trilogy, Dead Space, CoD4, Hard Reset, etc.) If I can have smoother pixels with less aliasing, why the fuck not? Also, if a game is designed to run at 60fps on it's lead platform, I leave it that way. If not, and it's designed for 30fps and with a controller in mind, I cap it at 30 so I can go nuts with AA settings for a prettier image while avoiding lag that comes with the restriction.

I'll try it with FXAA instead of MSAA and see if that helps later on when I'm done with my ME2 Hardcore run today.

Agreed. I will also turn on AA if it has zero impact on my target frame rate.

So this hasn't happened to me with RAGE, but it has with a few other games (GTAV as an example.) I started it up the other day on the living-room machine. The Xeon system from my list in the previous post. I run it with mostly high settings, but back off a couple of settings like shadow softness, AA obviously, etc. It runs silky smooth most of the time. However, the other day, it was stuttering pretty consistently. I simply rebooted the machine, and it was back to silk. This machine has 12GB 3-channel DDR3, so maybe something leaked and filled it up, or maybe the video driver was in a bad state from another game or something. Whatever it was, was cleared up by the reboot. I generally don't reboot unless I make major changes like drivers. Not sure how long the system was up before that happened to it. (I also stream a lot of media from it to other machines/devices in the house, so it could have been that, and I killed the connection to it by rebooting.)

Anyway, might just try a fresh reboot before launching the game again if you don't reboot often. Just a thought. This happened to me with a couple of other games too on the same system. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet was one, and that's just a 2D game that runs well on just about anything.

rage was ok but not great. gun play just felt off and not precise. it just was not a memorable game

This. I did like Rage, but it's not the kind of game I'd play twice. Maybe if it had more of the sewer levels for game play.

This. I did like Rage, but it's not the kind of game I'd play twice. Maybe if it had more of the sewer levels for game play.

Did you play the Scorchers DLC? It was quite good IMO.

I'm pumped for Terminator, so I'm going to install Peggle.

Those are about as similar as Mad Max and Rage.

This is a thread about RAGE. Try not to confuse the issue. :p

I mentioned that Borderlands and Just Cause would both be better suited to sate the Mad Max urge, but no one wanted to be sidetracked by those pesky facts. :rolleyes:

I mentioned that Borderlands and Just Cause would both be better suited to sate the Mad Max urge, but no one wanted to be sidetracked by those pesky facts. :rolleyes:

I wasn't a fan of Borderlands. But I know it's popular, so obviously a lot of people did like it. Haven't played Just Cause. Even still, Rage has more than a passing resemblance to Mad Max. Post Apocalyptic. Mutants. Driving around the desert. Weird characters. General anarchy.

And with a few exceptions, Rage is actually a reasonably fun romp. Which no one seems to give it credit for. [siderant] As much as I love the [H] for being [H], 95% of the discussions in this place revolve more around graphics than gameplay. Does texture pop suck? Sure. Does it make it impossible to enjoy the game? Not at all. Heck spend 5 minutes in any Skyrim thread, and it's more about modding and high res textures than gameplay. I loathe people that don't play games due to 'graphical fidelity' rather than gameplay. [/siderant]

I have a habit of seeking out and playing oddball "diamond in the rough" games. Some games are so weird and accidentally funny that they end up being enjoyable in that Ed Wood kind of way.

It looks like to this day I've never purchased this game in any format. I've never heard a single thing positive or negative enough about this game to make me curious enough to play it. I beat both Alpha Prime and Jericho mind you. Two of the worst games ever made.

All I've ever heard and seen about RAGE is low res textures and pop-in thats jarringly bad. Weird pointless car racing with poor controls and a lackluster unfinished story.

I'm willing to accept all kinds of flaws except those stated above. I'm still playing through Deadly Premonition and that awful prequal "NecroVisioN: Lost Company" . I just can't forgive that kind of cookiecutter game development with no care or effort in any aspect.

I feel like you haven't seen Mad Max.

Agreed. I will also turn on AA if it has zero impact on my target frame rate.

So this hasn't happened to me with RAGE, but it has with a few other games (GTAV as an example.) I started it up the other day on the living-room machine. The Xeon system from my list in the previous post. I run it with mostly high settings, but back off a couple of settings like shadow softness, AA obviously, etc. It runs silky smooth most of the time. However, the other day, it was stuttering pretty consistently. I simply rebooted the machine, and it was back to silk. This machine has 12GB 3-channel DDR3, so maybe something leaked and filled it up, or maybe the video driver was in a bad state from another game or something. Whatever it was, was cleared up by the reboot. I generally don't reboot unless I make major changes like drivers. Not sure how long the system was up before that happened to it. (I also stream a lot of media from it to other machines/devices in the house, so it could have been that, and I killed the connection to it by rebooting.)

Anyway, might just try a fresh reboot before launching the game again if you don't reboot often. Just a thought. This happened to me with a couple of other games too on the same system. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet was one, and that's just a 2D game that runs well on just about anything.

I don't leave my machine on 24/7 - I usually power off my PC once a week or every two for cleaning (dusty ~70y.o. house with a significant other that has 3 cats and 2 dogs - but they aren't allowed in the room where my PC is - and is located about 1km from a large concrete supply manufacturer. A perfect shitstorm for clogging up heatsinks and fans) but usually have it set to sleep after a couple hours of inactivity to save on the power bill and wear & tear. I will definitely try loading it after a fresh restart and see what happens.

I get that feeling too, just based on the Just Cause thing. (I haven't played it mind you, but from a few things that I have seen on it, it doesn't make me think Mad Max.)

Borderlands on the other hand DOES have its similarities, and is an EXCELLENT game. I've dumped hundreds of hours into the first two games and most of their DLC. Absolutely great games. I'd also recommend them to people wanting to play something in the Mad Max sort of category.

I wouldn't recommend it over RAGE, or under either. They are different enough games to justify recommending BOTH for anyone into post apocalyptic themed shooters. Borderlands has RPG elements, loot gathering, weapon hording, EXCELLENT co-op, and a great humor aspect to it that makes me laugh frequently. It also has much more memorable characters than RAGE. RAGE on the other hand has id's signature flair in the graphical aspects, pure, refined twitch shooting with varied tactics, and decent driving added on. It's great for pure action-based shooting. Play them both!

I don't leave my machine on 24/7 - I usually power off my PC once a week or every two for cleaning (dusty ~70y.o. house with a significant other that has 3 cats and 2 dogs - but they aren't allowed in the room where my PC is - and is located about 1km from a large concrete supply manufacturer. A perfect shitstorm for clogging up heatsinks and fans) but usually have it set to sleep after a couple hours of inactivity to save on the power bill and wear & tear. I will definitely try loading it after a fresh restart and see what happens.

That just gave me another idea. My machine (the one that made me bring this up) is also set to go to sleep since it's not always in use. I wonder if sleep-state related issue could be at work here. I've seen them before plenty of times. I'll do a bit of investigation next time I see the issue.

I have a habit of seeking out and playing oddball "diamond in the rough" games. Some games are so weird and accidentally funny that they end up being enjoyable in that Ed Wood kind of way.

It looks like to this day I've never purchased this game in any format. I've never heard a single thing positive or negative enough about this game to make me curious enough to play it. I beat both Alpha Prime and Jericho mind you. Two of the worst games ever made.

All I've ever heard and seen about RAGE is low res textures and pop-in thats jarringly bad. Weird pointless car racing with poor controls and a lackluster unfinished story.

I'm willing to accept all kinds of flaws except those stated above. I'm still playing through Deadly Premonition and that awful prequal "NecroVisioN: Lost Company" . I just can't forgive that kind of cookiecutter game development with no care or effort in any aspect.

The textures are not low-res across the board. There are some here and there that are, but overall the game is gorgeous. The racing isn't quite pointless. It's not bad, and can be fun. The in-between area driving can be an absolute blast sometimes. Not perfect, but pulling off some stunts just because can be very entertaining. The controls are tight, and are fairly transparent. The ACTUAL point to racing is to earn upgrades for your cars, so when you're out in the wasteland you can avoid or kill enemies more easily. However, once you reach a certain point, it's no longer very necessary. The story was definitely shortened, but still works just fine. The game is enjoyable to the end, it's just that once you get there, you wish they'd fleshed out a bit more of it. The DLC really adds to the game too, and gives a very good extra campaign.

It's far from cookiecutter. Everything it does, it does well.

Pick it up at the next sale for $5. To me it was worth full price at launch, but I enjoy id games a lot. For you, I'd recommend playing it, but grab it cheaply. I think you'd actually enjoy it if you gave it a chance.

I wasn't a fan of Borderlands. But I know it's popular, so obviously a lot of people did like it. Haven't played Just Cause. Even still, Rage has more than a passing resemblance to Mad Max. Post Apocalyptic. Mutants. Driving around the desert. Weird characters. General anarchy.

And with a few exceptions, Rage is actually a reasonably fun romp. Which no one seems to give it credit for. [siderant] As much as I love the [H] for being [H], 95% of the discussions in this place revolve more around graphics than gameplay. Does texture pop suck? Sure. Does it make it impossible to enjoy the game? Not at all. Heck spend 5 minutes in any Skyrim thread, and it's more about modding and high res textures than gameplay. I loathe people that don't play games due to 'graphical fidelity' rather than gameplay. [/siderant]

Man! I had to read your post twice. At first I thought to myself "I don't remember writing that!"...Are you my twin brother or something?

You expressed my sentiments EXACTLY...kinda creepy actually lol...

That just gave me another idea. My machine (the one that made me bring this up) is also set to go to sleep since it's not always in use. I wonder if sleep-state related issue could be at work here. I've seen them before plenty of times. I'll do a bit of investigation next time I see the issue.

Please do. I'll stay tuned to this thread for an update. Unfortunately, this game is just another in a long line with a primary focus on console.

I want to RAGE at the fact that the PC Master Race is more or less forced to subsist on scraps from the console gaming peasants' table.

I've seen all the old ones, but it's been a while. Haven't seen the new one yet.

But the Just Cause recommendation is based on the fact that the same Devs made it and the new Mad Max game. So gameplay wise, that's going to be the closest thing, even though the setting is obviously not similar at all. Just Cause 2 has great vehicle gameplay, and tons of over-the-top action. If you haven't tried it yet, do it ASAP! It's an incredibly fun game.

And I also think Borderlands will be more similar to the new Mad Max game because it's open-world and has better vehicle combat. Slightly different overall theme, but still probably more similar gameplay wise.

Rage may have the most similar setting and may be a perfectly good game in its own right, but as far as gameplay, I'm pretty sure the other two will be closer in feel to the new Mad Max game.

But the Just Cause recommendation is based on the fact that the same Devs made it and the new Mad Max game. So gameplay wise, that's going to be the closest thing, even though the setting is obviously not similar at all. Just Cause 2 has great vehicle gameplay, and tons of over-the-top action. If you haven't tried it yet, do it ASAP! It's an incredibly fun game.

Aha! That makes sense. I didn't realize they were the same dev. I actually have a copy of this somewhere that came with an old video card or something. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Please do. I'll stay tuned to this thread for an update. Unfortunately, this game is just another in a long line with a primary focus on console.

I want to RAGE at the fact that the PC Master Race is more or less forced to subsist on scraps from the console gaming peasants' table.

The "Master Race" isn't forced to do anything. It made its bed by slowly becoming the master race of bottom feeding. Console kids buy every shiny new AAA for $60, while an ever growing percentage of PCMR waits for the "$5 Steam Sale" or $10-$15 russian keys on day one. Nevermind piracy.

Its dollars and cents. Publishers look at their sales-by-platform data and their development priorities are tuned accordingly.

I don't think good PC games are selling poorly on day one. The Witcher 3 seems like a pretty successful game, and hasn't gone on sale for more than 10-15% so far. (that I know of) If a game is good, (and sometimes even if it's not) there will be plenty of people buying it. I do somewhat agree that if you really want a game, you should pay a decent price for it to support the dev, and basically vote that they should keep doing what they're doing. For something you might just have a passing curiosity for though, and wouldn't otherwise buy, a sale price is still more or less a win for the dev. This assumes people are honest with themselves though, and...

I don't think good PC games are selling poorly on day one. The Witcher 3 seems like a pretty successful game, and hasn't gone on sale for more than 10-15% so far. (that I know of) If a game is good, (and sometimes even if it's not) there will be plenty of people buying it. I do somewhat agree that if you really want a game, you should pay a decent price for it to support the dev, and basically vote that they should keep doing what they're doing. For something you might just have a passing curiosity for though, and wouldn't otherwise buy, a sale price is still more or less a win for the dev. This assumes people are honest with themselves though, and...

I will generally buy full price DLC or sequels to a game I support a developer on. Once I was hooked on Tellatles Walking Dead you better belive I wasnt waiting on any sales.

I sadly bought Dying light day one because the developer talked so much shit about what they were held back on with Dead island, meanwhile I hear the crew doing Dead Island 2 is a Dev I like so I guess I'm on that train now. Its not a PC thing, console gamers just dont have any options considering like 1 potentially good game comes out on console every 3 months. They could waiting years for a sale on the one game on the Xboxone shelf.

Its just this misery of untrustworthy publishing lately. Its not like you cant immediately point out the WB Dark Knight crap, and they already admitted on the last one they pull devs off patching to do DLC. Of course most pc gamers are hesitent to blow $60 on a game that might not even work now days.

I will generally buy full price DLC or sequels to a game I support a developer on. Once I was hooked on Tellatles Walking Dead you better belive I wasnt waiting on any sales.

I sadly bought Dying light day one because the developer talked so much shit about what they were held back on with Dead island, meanwhile I hear the crew doing Dead Island 2 is a Dev I like so I guess I'm on that train now. Its not a PC thing, console gamers just dont have any options considering like 1 potentially good game comes out on console every 3 months. They could waiting years for a sale on the one game on the Xboxone shelf.

Its just this misery of untrustworthy publishing lately. Its not like you cant immediately point out the WB Dark Knight crap, and they already admitted on the last one they pull devs off patching to do DLC. Of course most pc gamers are hesitent to blow $60 on a game that might not even work now days.

I agree. The thing to do most of the time, is just hold off until a couple of days after release, and see what things look like. In some cases, I will just buy day one, but I'm not usually in that much of a hurry. I'll still pick it up for full price, and introductory price, or a light early-on sale if it's a good game. If it's not, I'll wait longer, and maybe they'll fix it. If it's something that I don't intend to be fully engrossed in, but just want to play a bit, try it out, etc. I'll wait for a big sale.

Most publishers are scummy, and even some of the good ones, occasionally pull some scummy maneuvers. There are a few that typically do things pretty close to correctly though. It's sad that this is the case...

Because of this thread, I reinstalled Rage and I'm giving it another play through on hard difficulty. Better than I remember in a lot of ways. Here are some random one off thoughts.

Environments really are fantastic in this game, even if they're all corridor-ish.
Driving isn't as bad as I remember it, but the races still definitely suck. It's not hard to win them, it's just not fun.
Still super sad at how one dimensional all the character interactions are. With virtually any effort, they could've been super interesting. The models are great.
The auto-talk of a lot of venders is kind of annoying.
The weapons are pretty satisfying.
Enemies are a lot harder to hit than in most FPS'. They also have death fake-outs and may still be alive even if they go down once. Of course as a player you become used to the mechanic, but I still think it's good.
Atmospheric music is good, even if it essentially notifies you that there are still enemies about.
Fetch quests still suck. But that's a game mechanic problem, not just a Rage problem.

Because of this thread, I reinstalled Rage and I'm giving it another play through on hard difficulty. Better than I remember in a lot of ways. Here are some random one off thoughts.

Environments really are fantastic in this game, even if they're all corridor-ish.
Driving isn't as bad as I remember it, but the races still definitely suck. It's not hard to win them, it's just not fun.
Still super sad at how one dimensional all the character interactions are. With virtually any effort, they could've been super interesting. The models are great.
Enemies are a lot harder to hit than in most FPS'. They also have death fake-outs and may still be alive even if they go down once. Of course as a player you become used to the mechanic, but I still think it's good.
Atmospheric music is good, even if it essentially notifies you that there are still enemies about.
Fetch quests still suck. But that's a game mechanic problem, not just a Rage problem.

This assessment is pretty much on the money. While we may have only gotten 2/3rds the experience id originally intended, it's a hell of a ride while it lasts, minus some faults. And some of the environments are impressive, thanks to the megatexturing tech in id Tech 5.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing this. It can be useful for people being on the fence about installing or returning.

I played this for a little bit over the weekend, and this issue didn't pop up this time, even though the machine had been asleep, had recently streamed media out, and had played other games before it. I'll still keep an eye out for it to happen again, and report back, but so far, silky smooth as usual.

I played this for a little bit over the weekend, and this issue didn't pop up this time, even though the machine had been asleep, had recently streamed media out, and had played other games before it. I'll still keep an eye out for it to happen again, and report back, but so far, silky smooth as usual.

Then it might be time for me to run cipher /w:c and defragment...

Reinstalled RAGE, found an old save (thank god...didn't want to start over). So far it's about as mediocre as I remember. The texture popping is still pretty bad even on an SSD. And a lot of the texture quality is REALLY poor:

EEAE74C7188D4D5C98029C81731B2E8073F48577

2E5B414CE20568C20C7E9BE717DBEBD5F43B22EC

E81B4669C275B2DA2146E877F111989B77FA70A8

Still, going to give it a shot. The characters seem pretty well done and the gunplay is passable. Don't really like the "shoot a guy 10 times in the face to kill" thing but it's alright.

I agree. Not having localized hit boxes does suck. The game clearly still relies on straight damage. More damage is done if hit in the head, but you can't "head shot" in the traditional sense with most weapons... other than the Sniper Rifle and Bow. I haven't gotten through enough of the game again yet to know if other weapons also work.

Pop rockets are still OP though. Just built a bunch and completed both Shrouded missions with it and the Sniper Rifle/Bow. A well placed pop rocket basically 1 shot gibs most enemies, other than the heavies.

@MavericK96 - Yes, some of the indoor textures are pretty low res. Most of the outdoor ones are much better. Still though, they did quite a bit with geometry which makes the overall look pretty good I think, and just plain stunning in some cases. Obviously not those parts of the wall that you're pointing at though. :D Again, yes, you can sit and pick those out, and say "oh my god, gross!!!" or you can keep moving, and not really notice that much.

As to the pop-in, are you using large texture cache, VSync and GPU transcoding? If so, it should be fairly minimal. You'll still be able to get it to do it by whipping around fast, but during typical play, probably not so much.

I agree. Not having localized hit boxes does suck. The game clearly still relies on straight damage. More damage is done if hit in the head, but you can't "head shot" in the traditional sense with most weapons... other than the Sniper Rifle and Bow. I haven't gotten through enough of the game again yet to know if other weapons also work.

Pop rockets are still OP though. Just built a bunch and completed both Shrouded missions with it and the Sniper Rifle/Bow. A well placed pop rocket basically 1 shot gibs most enemies, other than the heavies.

I never used the pop rockets except bosses. I really like the pistol with fat-boys, the authority sub machine gun. and wing-sticks. Oh, and if you have the DLC, you get the rebar launcher thing and possibly a nail gun (Can't remember for sure as it's been a while. I haven't made it to the DLC mission on this play-through yet.) Rebar gun is pretty cool in some cases.

@MavericK96 - Yes, some of the indoor textures are pretty low res. Most of the outdoor ones are much better. Still though, they did quite a bit with geometry which makes the overall look pretty good I think, and just plain stunning in some cases. Obviously not those parts of the wall that you're pointing at though. :D Again, yes, you can sit and pick those out, and say "oh my god, gross!!!" or you can keep moving, and not really notice that much.

As to the pop-in, are you using large texture cache, VSync and GPU transcoding? If so, it should be fairly minimal. You'll still be able to get it to do it by whipping around fast, but during typical play, probably not so much.

I really didn't have to try hard to find low-res textures...they are everywhere. Yes, outdoors looks good but so far the game hasn't had me spend a ton of time there, it seems to be mostly indoor instances. To me it's noticeable during play but maybe not for others. I'm also going to try some .ini tweaks to see if that helps.

Pop-in, yes, using all of those and it's still there. It's not awful but I do still notice it in normal play. Also, kind of a bummer that this game doesn't support borderless fullscreen.

Back