“Tomb Raider” Photos Reveal Alicia Vikander as Lara Croft

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I doubt that the movie is going to live up to the games, but they seem to have done a decent job of bringing Lara to life. As you could imagine, the reboot is going to be based on—well, the reboot from 2013. How would you rate Ms. Vikander’s body of work?

Production is finally underway on that long-developing Tomb Raider reboot, as Alicia Vikander is ditching period dramas for a swashbuckling adventure. The Oscar-winning The Danish Girl actress scored the lead role in Tomb Raider after scene-stealing work in Tom Hooper’s quiet drama and a breakout turn in the tremendous sci-fi pic Ex Machina. Vikander fills the role of Lara Croft in the video game adaptation, playing the only daughter of an aristocratic family who ventures out into dangerous locations in search of ancient artifacts with supernatural powers.

She is a good actress, but I think Lara Croft should be incredibly fit. Someone who can do gymnastics and fighting at peak form. I don't really buy Vikander for that but I didn't buy Jolie, either. Finding that combination in a good actress is incredibly difficult.

Her casting is 100% spot on with the version of Lara she is portraying. Are you guys even paying attention?

No we get it. She's supposed to be a younger more "humanish woman" before her first boob job.

What's that have to do with another 105 pound girl beating up 250lb muscle guys kind of movie?

Her casting is 100% spot on with the version of Lara she is portraying. Are you guys (Maxx/Bowman15) even paying attention?

I was about to say...I imagine this is based on the recent games, not the old ones.

This casting makes perfect sense to me.

What's that have to do with another 105 pound girl beating up 250lb muscle guys kind of movie?

She does just that in the two most recent games. You haven't played them, I guess. Otherwise your opinion is not of the movie but of the games.

The movie is based off only those two most recent versions of Lara (Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider).

I also laughed at "before her first boob job" as if that's somehow going to be worked into the fiction of her character in the games.

Last edited:
She does just that in the two most recent games. You haven't played them, I guess. Otherwise your opinion is not of the movie but of the games.

The movie is based off only those two most recent versions of Lara. Not the same one you rubbed one out to in the 90s.

LOL...wut? I didn't play any of her games...it was a general statement about the ridiculous hollywood's unrealistic portrayal of tiny girls beating up on grown men. Calm down Lara phanboi...:ROFLMAO:

I was about to say...I imagine this is based on the recent games, not the old ones.

This casting makes perfect sense to me.
She still has the muscle tone necessary to do what she does in the first reboot. Just look at the shape of her back and exposed shoulders in the first reboot game. Don't pay attention to Rise because the made her less fit looking in that game for some odd reason.

LOL...wut? I didn't play any of her games...it was a general statement about the ridiculous hollywood's unrealistic portrayal of tiny girls beating up on grown men. Calm down Lara phanboi...:ROFLMAO:

I'm just stating that your comment should have been directed at the source material rather than the movie. I actually don't disagree with your notion either and you'll notice I never did. All my posts were meant to drive home was the fact that they are seemingly being true to the source material.

I mean the news post even has a comparison picture of the version she was cast to play...

I'm just stating that your comment should have been directed at the source material rather than the movie. I actually don't disagree with your notion either and you'll notice I never did. All my posts were meant to drive home was the fact that they are seemingly being true to the source material.

So that quote about "fapping to the previous Lara" was all good humor right? :cool:

Well at least we agree on the Hollywood thingy.

So that quote about "fapping to the previous Lara" was all good humor right? :cool:

Well at least we agree on the Hollywood thingy.

Lol, it was meant to be a lighthearted joke but ended up editing it out because it was easily going to seem like a personal attack which I didn't intend it to be. I reworked it once thern scrapped it, haha.

Looking at more pics though, Alicia Vikander is a bit tinier than the game Lara so it should be fun to see how far Hollywood stretches her ability to 'beat up the tough guys'.

Well, I personally think the first TR movie was alright. Second one was pathetic. So there is a decent chance this reboot could be done adequately.

I don't think "beat up" the bad guys will be where they go, if they stay true to the game. In the game reboot, Lara was mostly sniping the bad guys with an improvised bow. More of a Katniss Everdeen character, and I think Vikander could pull that off for the movies.

I don't think "beat up" the bad guys will be where they go, if they stay true to the game. In the game reboot, Lara was mostly sniping the bad guys with an improvised bow. More of a Katniss Everdeen character, and I think Vikander could pull that off for the movies.

Yeah, if you did do melee it was mostly taking them by surprise and using a melee weapon like the climbing axe. Wasn't much literal hand-to-hand combat, really.

I have nothing against Alicia Vikander as she's a pretty good actress, but the fact that Camilla Luddington was never considered is pretty shit. She's a large chunk of the reason why the two games have been successful and is a good actress. If they weren't going to get someone believable for the character (Ronda Rousey/Gina Carano type woman) I think they should have given Camilla first shot since she is the character (if anyone doesn't know she's the voice/body/mocap of Lara in the two latest).

I have nothing against Alicia Vikander as she's a pretty good actress, but the fact that Camilla Luddington was never considered is pretty shit. She's a large chunk of the reason why the two games have been successful and is a good actress. If they weren't going to get someone believable for the character (Ronda Rousey/Gina Carano type woman) I think they should have given Camilla first shot since she is the character (if anyone doesn't know she's the voice/body/mocap of Lara in the two latest).

Gina Carano would have been my pick but I don't think she's a good enough actress to pull off long conversational or emotional scenes.

I'm sick and tired of everyone running to Gina Carano whenever a discussion of casting a strong woman comes up...

If the movie has a good story and production, most of us won't care how well Ms. Vikander matches our previous concepts of Lara. If the story and production suck, won't matter who plays Lara.

I'm sick and tired of everyone running to Gina Carano whenever a discussion of casting a strong woman comes up...

Maybe if they cast her as Wonder Woman (which she was perfect for) people wouldn't be complaining. She's one of the few actresses that actually looks fit and strong and fits those parts. These days you don't get many women that take the roles seriously enough to get in shape/build muscle for them, like say Linda Hamilton did in Terminator 2.

For Alicia she fits the part as far as the new Tomb Raider games goes. Though I don't have much hope since almost all video game movies end up not being that good at all, hopefully this one turns out better then the rest.

She might be able to make it work but I still think Rhona Mitra back in the day was the still the best choice for an accurate Tomb Raider model.

Huh. I didn't realize that anyone other than Angelina Jolie had ever played Lara Croft.

That's because Carano is hot and scary as hell at the same time. You know she's quite physical... Pure adrenaline rush just to think about being in close proximity of her...

Any normal guy trying to wrestle Rousey would get the same effect real quick...

She definitely looks the part, however i have inside info about this movie!!!

It will be poop, like every other video game movie :(

I've only seen her in Jason Bourne. Not sure if it's her fault or if it's the director's fault, but I didn't find her a good actress in that.

5'5" 110lb killing machine!

There are plenty of actress's that would be a better Lara?

Comic books to movies = GOOD!!!!!
Video games to movies = BAD!!!!!!!

Why is this still the assumption / situation?

Wow, her belly is bigger than her boobs...

alicia-vikander-first-look-tomb-raider-lara-croft-09.jpg

That's because Carano is hot and scary as hell at the same time. You know she's quite physical... Pure adrenaline rush just to think about being in close proximity of her...

Any normal guy trying to wrestle Rousey would get the same effect real quick...
Hot if you like a masculine jaw line and ladder figure...
Wow, her belly is bigger than her boobs...

View attachment 16447
That's because in that shot her abdominal muscles are contracted.

Back