Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

As for the most competitive game, that would be StarCraft / 2, sorry.

This man is correct Starcraft over CS anyday for competitive gameplay, and yes CS is not a twitch based shooter Quake and Unreal were CS is a tactical FPS get it correct people.

It's awfully narcissistic to think removing mod support was deliberate tactic to disenfranchise PC gamers... If they really wanted to give PC gamers the finger, they wouldn't release the fucking game at all. Everyone just needs to stop taking things so damn personally.

Just give me what you've promised in the form of great port and I'll be happy. Hell, all I ever want from a AAA port is a properly implemented settings console; all that other gilding can come later (if at all, I honestly don't care).

Actually, the Source engine has a long history of being very mod and community friendly, so if a dev is going to use the damn thing in 2014 and then go out of their way to be mod unfriendly then I sure as hell think it's comment-worthy. But hey, feel free to lower the bar by calling a console-centric Source-based mod-unfriendly game a "AAA port" if that's what you want from PC gaming in 2014.

How having the above opinion makes me a narcissist I'll never know, but it's laughable (and yet sad) to use an aging engine like Source and then lock out its strongest features.

It's awfully narcissistic to think removing mod support was deliberate tactic to disenfranchise PC gamers... If they really wanted to give PC gamers the finger, they wouldn't release the fucking game at all. Everyone just needs to stop taking things so damn personally.

Just give me what you've promised in the form of great port and I'll be happy. Hell, all I ever want from a AAA port is a properly implemented settings console; all that other gilding can come later (if at all, I honestly don't care).

They have been way too quiet on the PC version for me considering it launches on 3/14.

Supposedly details are coming soon, but with less than 2 months to release we know very little about the PC version.

They have been way too quiet on the PC version for me considering it launches on 3/14.

Supposedly details are coming soon, but with less than 2 months to release we know very little about the PC version.

Same tactic employed in the lead up to MW2, wonder if they will also vigorously deny that Titanfall is a console port by pointing out that:

PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

Probably isn't balanced for lean though.... :D

So with the revelations about paid youtube promotion from EA for:
BF4
Evidence 1
"Do not make a video that focuses on glitches in the game"

NFS Rivals
Evidence 2
"We understand there may be minor glitches in the footage, however please do not highlight major bugs in your commentary"

that actively encouraged/required youtubers to conceal "bugs" and "glitches" in the games; what do you think the chances are Titanfall is bound to suffer from a simliar fate as both BF4 and NFS Rivals? Both of those games have had disastrous releases, which follows from EAs previous releases like Sim City.

I for one have massively tempered my expectations surrounding Titanfall in the last few weeks. I am committed to not buy it at launch, let alone pre-order, and I am heavily skeptical about a purchase any time in the first year of its release.

Is this clunker really based on Source? What thats like from 2006 right. No wonder the textures and graphics in the alpha gameplay are kinda muddy and underwhelming.

I just fail to see where there is anything revolutionary or nextgen about this game. Looks like another COD.

What has essentially happened is that due to the monetisation of various social media platforms we've reached a point whereby we can't really trust any of them.

Having said that, this type of thing has been going on since the dawn of advertising/the internet. How many game review sites/hardware review sites are basically paid by certain brands to positively review anything and everything put their way???

I have a friend that has been playing the Alpha version on the Xbox One. He seems to really like it, but he said it's definitely more of a run & gun simplistic style of game that has mild arena shooter elements.
From his description and experience, it sounds like it might be a fun distraction but I wouldn't expect it to be the next big thing.

Is this clunker really based on Source? What thats like from 2006 right.

I don't want to defend what is ultimately an old engine, but it has been updated a couple of times with modern effects since release. I still think it's perfectly serviceable, particularly for a multiplayer focused game like this.

I have a friend that has been playing the Alpha version on the Xbox One. He seems to really like it, but he said it's definitely more of a run & gun simplistic style of game that has mild arena shooter elements.
From his description and experience, it sounds like it might be a fun distraction but I wouldn't expect it to be the next big thing.

Shame really as some media outlets made it seem like the second coming of Christ of FPS games. Thankfully many other games coming out in 2014 that will keep me entertained.

Shame really as some media outlets made it seem like the second coming of Christ of FPS games. Thankfully many other games coming out in 2014 that will keep me entertained.

That E3 trailer pretty much blew everyone's socks off, but that's easier to do when you have the player essentially be a cameraman during a scripted/controlled event. They gave it a cool setting and an air of being part of some huge battle...

...and then we started getting the information that matters: the devs are signed with EA, there will be no mod support, and the max player count will be 6v6 with bots that apparently use "the cloud" for their AI. The next media updates will likely be telling us how we can all get their first DLC map pack free if we simply pre-order the game plus their premium monthly service! Joy!

Edit:

Smartpistolmidairkill.gif

"Smart pistol"...seriously?

Last edited:
That E3 trailer pretty much blew everyone's socks off, but that's easier to do when you have the player essentially be a cameraman during a scripted/controlled event. They gave it a cool setting and an air of being part of some huge battle...

...and then we started getting the information that matters: the devs are signed with EA, there will be no mod support, and the max player count will be 6v6 with bots that apparently use "the cloud" for their AI. The next media updates will likely be telling us how we can all get their first DLC map pack free if we simply pre-order the game plus their premium monthly service! Joy!

Edit:

Smartpistolmidairkill.gif

"Smart pistol"...seriously?

Don't forget the *Premium* service which, I am sure, they will also add.

That's the problem. These companies hype the games to shit and then when they can't meet their own pronounced expectations and we call them on it, we are the cry babies always wanting more.

Premium service? They can take their game and shove it up their ass if they do that. This whole "Premium" thing is nonsense.

So with the revelations about paid youtube promotion from EA for:
BF4
Evidence 1
"Do not make a video that focuses on glitches in the game"

NFS Rivals
Evidence 2
"We understand there may be minor glitches in the footage, however please do not highlight major bugs in your commentary"

that actively encouraged/required youtubers to conceal "bugs" and "glitches" in the games; what do you think the chances are Titanfall is bound to suffer from a simliar fate as both BF4 and NFS Rivals? Both of those games have had disastrous releases, which follows from EAs previous releases like Sim City.

I for one have massively tempered my expectations surrounding Titanfall in the last few weeks. I am committed to not buy it at launch, let alone pre-order, and I am heavily skeptical about a purchase any time in the first year of its release.

I posted a link to those paid advertiser allegations in the BF4 thread with no responses. Let me be clear, paid advertisers are perfectly fine, but what EA did was tell those people to conceal/deny they were being paid, which is outright illegal. Its a pretty clear cut boundary. And I completely understand if some youtube personality relies on those $10, $20 kickbacks for their livelihood. Just be open about. I've had very similar conversations in PM's about certain websites that you may view every day and it worries me that people are so protective about admitting to being part of the "machine" that is advertising. Whether it be "shilling" "clickbait "misleading topic titles", most people in various industries rely on not so honest reporting to pay the bills. Its a shame they can't/won't admit to it.

When it crosses a legal boundary (which the parent companies love resting on as a defense), thats when I feel one should be the most outspoken.

I refer back to my other post about my opinion of titanfall, you really shouldn't buy this title, the followup won't be far behind it.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040547342#post1040547342

Last edited:

anticipation was high because of the pedigree of the guys behind Respawn Entertainment (the ex-Infinity Ward guys who made the 'good' early CoD games)

my anticipation for Titanfall is diminishing every day...I'm still holding out hope but am leaning towards not buying it on Day 1...$60 seems steep for a game which is 50/50 right now...plus with rumors of GTA5 (PC) being released on 03/31 plus Dark Souls 2 around the same time it makes it easier to wait on Titanfall

Origin preorders are easy to cancel though so no big deal. Also the game looks like it actually comes with the great game guarantee so it is refund eligible within the first 24 hours for preorders.

Oh geeze, another demo masquerading as an "open beta" so that the shills, fan boys and uninformed can shout down any and all constructive criticism. :rolleyes:

Ah well, gives us a chance to see whether it sucks first hand.

A season pass IS a microtransaction.
I don't see a difference. That concept needs to DIAF.

When it costs 25% or more of the cost of the base game it isn't micro. Smaller DLCs with single weapons or vehicles like what Just Cause 2 offers are closer to microtrasnactions.

A season pass IS a microtransaction.
I don't see a difference. That concept needs to DIAF.

A season pass is not a microtransaction. A season pass is buying into all future DLC in advance, thats it. DLC is optional content in larger size and not a "micro" addition to the experience. A microtransaction is buying horse armor for $5 to reskin your horse.

I find it interesting that EA isn't pushing an Origin Exclusive Special Edition like they do with so many titles that are launching on Origin. I'm pretty sure there will be a season pass, guaranteed money from people who might get disappointed later in the games and may stop buying DLCs one or two in, but no distributer exclusives or special editions for a title backed by such big names is almost unheard. Is EA still in shell shock from the trouble with SimCity, BF4 and the bad reaction from the 6 v 6 news (even on PC)?

I actually believe that the game is going to be 6 v 6 not to make the XBONE look to bad because it can't handle more and the do not want it to look inferior to the PC. Even the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (or most current titles also on the PS4) is turning into another slap in the XBONE's face and even the better graphics for that are being held back from the PC (pissing me off).

The premium/season pass concept is actually a good thing for the player that wants all the extra content anyway. I mean, it saves you money, VS. buying map packs/DLC add-ons individually.

I'm not saying anything against Premium or Season Passes, just surprised with how close the game is that we haven't heard anything yet.

The premium/season pass concept is actually a good thing for the player that wants all the extra content anyway. I mean, it saves you money, VS. buying map packs/DLC add-ons individually.

You say "extra" like you mean that by its definition. Does someone need to refer you to the mona lisa image again?

lol, they were kind of forced into revealing the date because some distributor spilled the beans this morning :D

Back