• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Titan XP, now 'cheap'?

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
1,418
The mining craze has gotten crazy.. So crazy that I can probably take my 6 month old MSI GTX 1060 6GB and sell it at a hefty profit.. It does everything that I need it to and is well matched to my Dell Precision T3500 system since this is a budget 1080P gaming box.. Every card is sold out or selling well above MSRP except the Titan XP which is available right now for $1,200 from Nvidia direct.. Making it actually 'cheap'.. Would buying a single for my gaming box and mining in the off time be worth it?
Obviously it will play 1080P games just fine and would surely outlive the computer itself
 
If you just have to have a new card right now, and don't want to do a lot of leg work to find a reasonably priced card (they're out there occasionally), then the TXP is you're only option right now.

If it were me, and I was mostly okay with what I've got, I would sit tight and wait for things to go back to normal. Spending $1200 on a card you wouldn't normally buy because everyone is gouging on the ones you would buy is foolish to me.
 
I wouldn't pay a premium for any of the current cards. It's two year old tech. Good enough if you're making money mining, but not worth it for gaming.

Wait until March/April for the new stuff.
 
I wouldn't pay a premium for any of the current cards. It's two year old tech. Good enough if you're making money mining, but not worth it for gaming.

Wait until March/April for the new stuff.

And pray you can get one before the miners...

Personally, I sold my GTX1070 to the miners and profited. In the meantime, I'll run my old HD7950 and play console games until I find a good replacement. I agree that $1200 for 2 year old tech seems extreme, but I understand your "cheap" argument also. Used 1080Ti's are going for $1000 a pop now.
 
And pray you can get one before the miners...

Well the miners are going to wait until they think ROI is good enough.
Most likely it will be $699 for a 2080 type card, and some may think it's too much and wait for the cheaper 2070.

For the PC gamer, hardware IMO is overvalued for what you're getting back in gaming. I bought a PS4 and Mac Pro to take a break from it.
It's just wasn't the hobby it once was a few years ago, pre-2013.
 
Yeah, I was only remotely considering it because my GTX 1060 6gb seems to be worth about $3-$350 in the used market and the TXP is cheaper than the miner gouged cards for a replacement if I did sell..

I may try to grab a 1070 TI FE for $449 off Nvidia site since it's under 'notify me', then sell my MSI 1060 6gb and since I only do 1080P gaming I'll be 'ok' for the next gen more or less for not too much money..
 
Well the miners are going to wait until they think ROI is good enough.
Most likely it will be $699 for a 2080 type card, and some may think it's too much and wait for the cheaper 2070.

I'm not sure that happened with the Vega 56/64...they were pretty much GOA mostly on the expectation that it would hash faster than the 480/580s out there. Will be interesting though.
 
Yeah, I was only remotely considering it because my GTX 1060 6gb seems to be worth about $3-$350 in the used market and the TXP is cheaper than the miner gouged cards for a replacement if I did sell..

I may try to grab a 1070 TI FE for $449 off Nvidia site since it's under 'notify me', then sell my MSI 1060 6gb and since I only do 1080P gaming I'll be 'ok' for the next gen more or less for not too much money..

The problem is, you and everyone else are waiting for the "notify me." It's like trying to buy an NES/SNES Classic.
 
I'm not sure that happened with the Vega 56/64...they were pretty much GOA mostly on the expectation that it would hash faster than the 480/580s out there. Will be interesting though.

You're right. Maybe hype will take over and cause demand to go out of the roof.
In that case, many on a budget should consider a console for gaming. $500+ GPUs are not meant for mid-range gaming.
 
The problem is, you and everyone else are waiting for the "notify me." It's like trying to buy an NES/SNES Classic.

Yup, and in that case my 1060 will continue to do what it does if I can't obtain one, but I'll still try
 
Well, I decided to go further and see what the 1060 could do mining and am running Nicehash. Showing about $4 a day est so probably $2.50-3 per day with power. That's still a good chunk of change for not doing anything
 
Well, I decided to go further and see what the 1060 could do mining and am running Nicehash. Showing about $4 a day est so probably $2.50-3 per day with power. That's still a good chunk of change for not doing anything

1060s are great grinders. You can run them at sub 65w each at 23-24mhs.
 
Well the miners are going to wait until they think ROI is good enough.
Most likely it will be $699 for a 2080 type card, and some may think it's too much and wait for the cheaper 2070.

For the PC gamer, hardware IMO is overvalued for what you're getting back in gaming. I bought a PS4 and Mac Pro to take a break from it.
It's just wasn't the hobby it once was a few years ago, pre-2013.
Holy crap, how expensive do things have to get before the Mac Pro starts sounding like a good deal?
 
1060s are great grinders. You can run them at sub 65w each at 23-24mhs.

Yup, I tweaked the settings around a bit and went from 225 k/hs in Neosrcipt to 250 K/hs. That's just a little under volted with a slight overclock but temps are good.
 
Holy crap, how expensive do things have to get before the Mac Pro starts sounding like a good deal?

We are seeing $699-3000 cards from Nvidia now. I really think they are moving more towards computer learning than gaming.
Overall costs will continue to go up as mining and AI becomes even more mainstream. I can't see how any of this is good for PC gaming enthusiasts.

For me, the Mac Pro tower is for work and the console is for play. Just last year the PC did both.
With the Mac, I don't have the urge to buy any new video cards, flashy motherboards, water-cooling etc., and I like it that way.
 
I'm so fortunate I was able to score an MSI Gaming Trio for what I think is MSRP, only like 10 days ago, from Newegg.

Unfortunately due to case availability... (Define R6)... It remains shrink wrapped.

I hesitated a bit to pull the trigger, wanting to get an EVGA. But glad I bought when I did.
 
This is why I'm considering the TXP. I don't game very hard and a TXP will probably last years running 1080P. It's actually crazy to buy it right now for gaming at any res. But on the mining end of it I can easily pay it off and then have a capable card for years. I don't expect I'll ever go 4K but I do like ultra graphics at 1080P. My 1060 is great but it's end is in a year or 2 at best and who knows what the GPU climate will be then.. I can justify it to a point but it's that $1,200 price tag that keeps me from clicking the order button.
 
You are going to be able to get a VERY powerful card for around 600$ when Volta drops in a month and a half. If gaming is your priority I would just hang out till then. If you NEED to make ~300$ mining in the time leading up to the next generation off a titan xp then buy it now and it will only have cost you about 900$ by the time they drop, which is fairly close to what a 1080ti would have cost anyway.
 
You are going to be able to get a VERY powerful card for around 600$ when Volta drops in a month and a half. If gaming is your priority I would just hang out till then. If you NEED to make ~300$ mining in the time leading up to the next generation off a titan xp then buy it now and it will only have cost you about 900$ by the time they drop, which is fairly close to what a 1080ti would have cost anyway.

...except you're not magically going to find volta stock anywhere at release, absent paying inflated prices. Who do you think is front of the line for volta cards... miners. I would be shocked personally if people can get MSRP volta cards prior to summer.
 
...except you're not magically going to find volta stock anywhere at release, absent paying inflated prices. Who do you think is front of the line for volta cards... miners. I would be shocked personally if people can get MSRP volta cards prior to summer.

Remember what happened when Pascal launched? It was three or four months before you could find the 1080 just on a shelf anywhere.

I wonder if they're going to do the Founder's Edition BS this time around, where you can't get a regular one for several months after the launch.
 
  • Like
Reactions: oblox
like this
If mining on my Titan V is any indication, Volta (Ampere?) is going to be an instant bandwagon for miners. I'd bet dollars to donuts they are already trying to line up pre-orders now if they can.
Despite the price (initial $/MH = bad, duh) the V is the most power efficient card for many algos right now and cut down chips will still reap the new architecture benefits (kWh/MH). Mainstream cards going with GDDR6 might also be a similar boost for the memory-loving algos making it a double whammy.

Get ready for more pain, lol!

PS, it has nothing to do with tensor cores of which consumer parts may have none, no miner is using them yet. Nor do I really expect hashing types of problems to find them particularly useful although I'm not a crypto mathematician.
 
...except you're not magically going to find volta stock anywhere at release, absent paying inflated prices. Who do you think is front of the line for volta cards... miners. I would be shocked personally if people can get MSRP volta cards prior to summer.

I haven't seen a launch yet that I couldn't buy a card the first day they were available if I waited patiently and refreshed my browser. They may not be available if you wait till the end of the week they are available to start looking, as may be the case this time. Nvidia wouldn't be shuttering production on their 10x lines unless the volta really had something impressive coming down, and to support them in full production is a tip off if i've seen one.
 
If mining on my Titan V is any indication, Volta (Ampere?) is going to be an instant bandwagon for miners. I'd bet dollars to donuts they are already trying to line up pre-orders now if they can.
Despite the price (initial $/MH = bad, duh) the V is the most power efficient card for many algos right now and cut down chips will still reap the new architecture benefits (kWh/MH). Mainstream cards going with GDDR6 might also be a similar boost for the memory-loving algos making it a double whammy.

Get ready for more pain, lol!

PS, it has nothing to do with tensor cores of which consumer parts may have none, no miner is using them yet. Nor do I really expect hashing types of problems to find them particularly useful although I'm not a crypto mathematician.

Tensor cores are excellent when a program is written specifically for them. They are good at one thing, that they are programmed to, and that thing alone. They aren't multi purpose like other features of a gpu. If they can be programmed to, the benefit would be in the range for a 10-50 times increase in mining that currency.
 
Remember what happened when Pascal launched? It was three or four months before you could find the 1080 just on a shelf anywhere.

I wonder if they're going to do the Founder's Edition BS this time around, where you can't get a regular one for several months after the launch.

For sure.
 
In Sweden we don't see these prices you do.
1080Ti goes for about 7500+ sek (equal to about $750).
1060 3gb is between $210 and $250 and 6gb $280 and $330.
1070 is about $450-$500. 1070 Ti about $50 more expensive.
All these are in stock.
 
In Sweden we don't see these prices you do.
1080Ti goes for about 7500+ sek (equal to about $750).
1060 3gb is between $210 and $250 and 6gb $280 and $330.
1070 is about $450-$500. 1070 Ti about $50 more expensive.
All these are in stock.

Yes, the situation is still normal in Europe. Prices are still around MSRP + VAT (sometimes a bit higher but not by much). We don't have dirt cheap electricity so cryptomining with consumer GPUs isn't really a thing.
 
So I looked at what it would cost through a swedish site and the prices are just about what it is in the USA right now. Slightly less, however everything is in stock.
 
So I looked at what it would cost through a swedish site and the prices are just about what it is in the USA right now. Slightly less, however everything is in stock.

Did you take into account the 25% VAT included in Swedish prices?
 
No I didn't, just what the online retailer displayed because that is what I would have paid if the seller would ship to the USA. Cheapest 1080 TI was $941 so it would cost that and shipping, plus a possible 3% VAT tax through customs as it's over $800. It might be a viable option to some, but in my shoes I'd rather spend a couple hundred more on the TXP or go without.
 
I noticed the same thing as well. I ended up getting 2 to upgrade both my boxes vs spending buckets on 2x 1080ti's
 
People are buying whole systems with discrete video cards, just to pull out the video card and sell the rest of the system.
 
People are buying whole systems with discrete video cards, just to pull out the video card and sell the rest of the system.

I'm thinking about buying several 1070+ cards in the next mining dip to sell when it picks up again.
 
I've been seeing ppl ask $1K usd for used 1080ti. What eff is that about? I'd sooner drop another 200 down for a TXP then get a ti for $1K.
 
I've been seeing ppl ask $1K usd for used 1080ti. What eff is that about? I'd sooner drop another 200 down for a TXP then get a ti for $1K.

Exactly. 1080 TI is said to hash better but being mostly the same card I don't see it. TXP is the better deal and that's what this thread is about.
 
Tensor cores are excellent when a program is written specifically for them. They are good at one thing, that they are programmed to, and that thing alone. They aren't multi purpose like other features of a gpu. If they can be programmed to, the benefit would be in the range for a 10-50 times increase in mining that currency.

Yeah I'm familiar with the insane speedup on 16bit matrix but what they do just doesn't align with mining algos seen so far. Maybe some whiz kid can find a weird way to leverage them for modern hashes but I doubt it. Doing some kind of distributed pattern match or "AI" work would be an interesting coin though.

Someone should start an ICO on Tensorcoin LOL, I'm in ;)
 
Back
Top