Titan XP, now 'cheap'?

Yes, the situation is still normal in Europe. Prices are still around MSRP + VAT (sometimes a bit higher but not by much). We don't have dirt cheap electricity so cryptomining with consumer GPUs isn't really a thing.

Well electricity in Sweden is $0.18/kwh which is quite expensive but I still run 13x1060 and 1x1080Ti ;)

Well electricity in Sweden is $0.18/kwh which is quite expensive but I still run 13x1060 and 1x1080Ti ;)

Sure there's still people doing it and it's possible to make some money. It's just a very small market at the moment on this side of the Atlantic.

Sure there's still people doing it and it's possible to make some money. It's just a very small market at the moment on this side of the Atlantic.

"Some money"?
The cards I mentioned earlier are making about $1000-1500/month, before electricity, and that's income that I spend almost no time on, it's always on, even when I sleep, so this is a very welcome income.
The only problem is that 1080Ti is in my gaming computer so when I'm gaming I'm not earning any money... oh well. That's why I don't game anymore :D

We are seeing $699-3000 cards from Nvidia now. I really think they are moving more towards computer learning than gaming.
Overall costs will continue to go up as mining and AI becomes even more mainstream. I can't see how any of this is good for PC gaming enthusiasts.

For me, the Mac Pro tower is for work and the console is for play. Just last year the PC did both.
With the Mac, I don't have the urge to buy any new video cards, flashy motherboards, water-cooling etc., and I like it that way.
well lets see where the money is... 1-2 cards to a gamer once every 3-5 years or 6-20 cards to a miner every month...

Nobody knows if Volta will be available in March. Might be longer. Even if it is "available" you better have alerts on and be sitting right there when it pops up. Or you may not get one.

Retailers limiting to 1 per customer may help.

I'll be in for one If I can get it. I decided against the Titan XP. Just wouldn't use it and the power supply in my T3500 would need upgraded

Yeah I'm familiar with the insane speedup on 16bit matrix but what they do just doesn't align with mining algos seen so far. Maybe some whiz kid can find a weird way to leverage them for modern hashes but I doubt it. Doing some kind of distributed pattern match or "AI" work would be an interesting coin though.

Someone should start an ICO on Tensorcoin LOL, I'm in ;)

I think what we're going to see is that the lack of availability of cheap Tensor cores, and their price point is prohibitive since you could just buy say 10 gtx 1070tis instead. While it would be very exciting on a per watt basis to have some magic tensor core algorithm for mining, it's just way too specific to reach any type of mass adoption.

Just got the regular Xp. Love "Star Wars" as much as anyone but those custom cards are not my style.

It does not make sense that those cards are cheaper. I get the 1138 Lucas Film reference but really.

I don't get it. The standard TitanXp ($1200) is more expensive than the Starwars special edition TitanXp ($1138)? Special editions should be more expensive!

I don't get it. The standard TitanXp ($1200) is more expensive than the Starwars special edition TitanXp ($1138)? Special editions should be more expensive!
I wonder if the "1138" is an easter egg.

In A New Hope Luke tells the guard in the cell block where Leia is being held that Chewbacca is being transferred from "cell block 1138."

With those Star Wars ones, it seems like they're already just throwing random shit at the wall to see what sticks, I assume as a means of clearing out surplus big pascal dies that didn't quite make it to be Teslas or Quadros or something.

I could also believe they just knocked a few bucks off the price because no one bought them because they're stupid looking.

1138 is a reference that goes back to George Lucas's first film " THX 1138 " It was first referenced in " American Graffiti " his second film as the license plate to the main charecters car as " THX 1138 " and 1138 references are throughout the Star Wars franchise.. So yes it's sort of an easter egg, but also a big tribute to George Lucas and Lucas Films, not just Star Wars.

I love the look of the worn metal on the Jedi order card - but my PC theme is red LEDs and I have an open air case so that green...ugh... I don’t want a Christmas theme of red and green.

Also. Frankly. I’d prefer a 1080TI ICX, XLR8, or FTW aftermarket cooler on the card.

Put my two Titan Xp's under EK Waterblocks the other day. Temps have dropped dramatically and the noise is gone too.

Previously I was having to run 80% fan speed to get the cards at 1750-1800Mhz core and couldnt get the memory above 11.2GHz and the cards running at 75 to 80C. Now the cards are at 2000Mhz core 12.2Ghz mem and cards at 42-48C.

Back