thoughts on oculus go?

Discussion in 'VR & Head-Mounted Displays' started by hypertek_s30, Jul 4, 2018.

1. hypertek_s30

hypertek_s30 n00bie

Hey guys, curious about this thing as i havent really heard much buzz around it. I got a rift for home use (racing sims is my fav).. but i travel for work every week, so im only home on weekends.. but thinking that I fly alot and stay in hotels alot, would the oculus go be pretty good in that regards if i can wear it on flights? what else is it capable of? watching movies?

2. IRSmurf

IRSmurf 2[H]4U

I like mine a lot. There are oodles of games for Go. And, they're much cheaper than the ones on Rift. The screen and lenses are better, so it's a lot better for images and video. And the fact there's no cable attached makes it much more welcoming. I didn't touch my Rift for nearly two months after I bought the Go.

I recently took a few flights. I wore my Oculus Go while waiting at the airport and while I was on the plane. You can be a little limited while sitting in a non-swivel chair. Some apps only allow you to rotate with the headset's sensors. So, plan ahead. I was going to start recommending games to play while on the plane, but I realized the list would be too long. (I got as far as Darknet, Bait, Gun Club 3 VR / SWAT Academy, Ultrawings, Claro, and They Suspect Nothing before giving up on the list.) I've acquired 120 games and apps for the Go. There really is a lot of good stuff out there. The game library is more mature than one may expect, since its runs most of the games made for Gear VR over the last three years. And Oculus/FB is pouring money into game development.

IMO splurge on the 64GB model. I hate having to uninstall games every time I want to add a new one. There's currently no way to back up your save games. Also, regarding video, you're currently limited to internal storage and DLNA. USB OTG support is coming "soon," Oculus says. Until then, I'm streaming videos via DLNA off my ad-hoc Wi-Fi-connected WD My Passport Pro.

3. Cylocybin

Cylocybin Limp Gawd

is it as immersive as rift? can you explain the experience with watching movies too

4. IRSmurf

IRSmurf 2[H]4U

No, 3DOF Go isn't as immersive as 6DOF Rift. But for things that don't *need* 6DOF, where a gyroscopic pointer is just as good, Go is better. The screen and lenses are just better in every way. The screen door effect is largely eliminated thanks to RGB LED and the image looks sharper. And it's very nice to be free of the power / display cable. The soft headband is a big step up from 6DOF VR, since you can comfortably rest your head on a pillow, recliner, couch, etc while watching movies and browsing the web. A few days ago, I was watching a race from bed, on my TV. They kept stopping for safeties. I slipped on the Go and went through my blog run (hardocp, anand, ars, etc) with my head buried in a pillow, under the covers, without holding a phone up to my face. The controller is only 3DOF, so you don't even need to move your arms, just your wrists. Ridiculously lazy, just the way I like it.

Movies look good but not great. No VR headset is going to compete with your monitor or 4K TV for 2D movies. But I watched Thor Ragnarok and some comedy specials. It's 720p, but, again, you can watch anything in the laziest position possible. The built-in speakers are surprisingly good. I also use mine at work, during lunch. Wearing headphones and watch a TV show in your private theater is pretty great.

Basically, this thing blows Gear VR out of the water due to ease of use and lack of screendoor effect. This thing has different experiences than the Rift, while not eclipsing the Rift in every way. The Go is better for everything that doesn't need intricate input. Shooting games feel better on Rift, due to 6DOF. But the quality of some of the 3DOF shooting games on Go is very high. And the prices on the Go are very low.

Basically, it boils down to this: Don't sell your Vive/Rift for a Go. Ideally, you're going to want to own both. If you *must* choose between 6DOF and 3DOF, you have at least a 7'x5' VR play area, and you have money for expensive (comparatively) PC games, get Vive/Rift. And, if you want to experience much of what VR has to offer on a much more affordable platform OR if you want a portable game console and private theater experience, get the Go.

heatlesssun likes this.