Thoughts on if OLED will trickle down

Mopar63

n00b
I wonder and am curious to hear others thoughts, on if we will see OLED trickle down into 1440 and 1080 monitors.....

I personally dont think so. I think it will be the realm of 32"+

Complete conjecture on my part tho.

I don't think producing lower resolution monitors cuts costs very much, and by the time OLED monitors reach budget prices 4k will be standard.

I don't forsee it happening unless there's some manufacturing thing where we start seeing much, much higher refresh rate OLED panels at not ludicrous prices. OLED is going to stay a premium technology for some time, and for a 1080P monitor to be "premium" it needs extremely high refresh rate- like 360hz- and current OLED panels just can't go that high. Same goes for 1440P to an extent.

I'd be much more interested in seeing <500$ 4K 28-32" OLED displays (even if they're only 60hz to start with) than I would be seeing OLED in 1080 or even 1440.

I don't forsee it happening unless there's some manufacturing thing where we start seeing much, much higher refresh rate OLED panels at not ludicrous prices. OLED is going to stay a premium technology for some time, and for a 1080P monitor to be "premium" it needs extremely high refresh rate- like 360hz- and current OLED panels just can't go that high. Same goes for 1440P to an extent.

I'd be much more interested in seeing <500$ 4K 28-32" OLED displays (even if they're only 60hz to start with) than I would be seeing OLED in 1080 or even 1440.
OLED panels can go to even 1000Hz easily.

Dell stated that they just picked 175Hz for starters, the panel could do much better.

OLED panels can go to even 1000Hz easily.

Dell stated that they just picked 175Hz for starters, the panel could do much better.
OLED panels can do a lot of things in theory. How many 1000hz OLED panels are there actually currently available the market or coming to retail in 2022? How about 360hz OLED? 240hz?

OLED panels can do a lot of things in theory. How many 1000hz OLED panels are there actually currently available the market or coming to retail in 2022? How about 360hz OLED? 240hz?
Because they are still primarily used for TVs; we're only now seeing OLED being put into PC monitors. But as far as the panel is concerned, there really isn't a functional limit; your more bound by the electronics behind the panel then the panel itself.

Considering that Samsung has now announced QD-OLED, I bet LG will now push to make OLED a mainstream product. I wouldn't be surprised if we see much smaller, high performance OLED monitors in the coming years.

Because they are still primarily used for TVs; we're only now seeing OLED being put into PC monitors. But as far as the panel is concerned, there really isn't a functional limit; your more bound by the electronics behind the panel then the panel itself.
By that do you mean the theoretical limit of the tech is arbitrarily high, or do you mean that the actual physical existing panels that are currently getting chopped up into TVs at the factory could be run at 240-360hz+ with a different control board?

What I'm getting at is that "viability of OLED at 1080P" question which in my mind hinges on whether or not >360hz OLED will be brought to market in a timeframe in which 1080P monitors will still have relevance and I'm trying to feel out how soon that could realistically be.

There may eventually be a handful of 1080p high refresh monitors at most with OLED, but I feel that by the time OLED is affordable for the average person, 1080p will probably be largely phased out with new products.

Last edited:
Considering that Samsung has now announced QD-OLED, I bet LG will now push to make OLED a mainstream product. I wouldn't be surprised if we see much smaller, high performance OLED monitors in the coming years.

I feel like Samsung isn't what LG is worried about because whatever OLED Samsung makes will be priced to the moon far above LG's own TV lineup. I think BOE is what should really get LG worried because they can make OLEDs for cheap.

By that do you mean the theoretical limit of the tech is arbitrarily high, or do you mean that the actual physical existing panels that are currently getting chopped up into TVs at the factory could be run at 240-360hz+ with a different control board?

What I'm getting at is that "viability of OLED at 1080P" question which in my mind hinges on whether or not >360hz OLED will be brought to market in a timeframe in which 1080P monitors will still have relevance and I'm trying to feel out how soon that could realistically be.

I think he is saying the response time of the OLED panels being put in to TVs is fast enough for very high refresh rates (480hz+). Which I think is true if you look at the measurements done by reviewers.

I saw a LG C1 recently, watched some 120hz video on it and the motion was extremely good. Blows LCDs out the water in motion clarity, and I have a Odessey G7 which is a good LCD for motion clarity. OLED doesn't beat CRT at high refresh rates for motion clarity though.

Will Oled come to 1080p? I honestly doubt it. It will be premium monitor tech for a long time, and these companies make higher margins on higher end monitors. By the time OLED is mainstream affordable higher resolutions will be the standard.

To be fair, 1440p is pretty much defacto the standard now anyways. 1080p is really only relevant for smaller displays and budget HW.

To be fair, 1440p is pretty much defacto the standard now anyways. 1080p is really only relevant for smaller displays and budget HW.

I know the Steam hardware survey isn't the end all metric, but it's a decent indicator. It's crazy how many people still game on 1080p.

I know the Steam hardware survey isn't the end all metric, but it's a decent indicator. It's crazy how many people still game on 1080p.
Careful; many of us prefer smaller desktop resolutions so we don't have to bother with Windows DPI scaling. Desktop resolution can (and often is) independent of game resolution.

My Desktop is 1440p, but when my 8700k/1080Ti can handle it, I game in 4k. The HW survey is going to record my Desktop resolution, even though I game at higher ones.

Careful; many of us prefer smaller desktop resolutions so we don't have to bother with Windows DPI scaling. Desktop resolution can (and often is) independent of game resolution.

My Desktop is 1440p, but when my 8700k/1080Ti can handle it, I game in 4k. The HW survey is going to record my Desktop resolution, even though I game at higher ones.

This is possible, though 1440p monitors typically are scaled much better at their screen sizes than 4k monitors, so I don't expect it'd be super common.

Most games are now controller-compatible. So there are a good portion, like myself, who use our old Steam boxes as game consoles. Just wanted to point that out. All you need for a decent couch gaming experience is a decent old machine (really anything GTX-970 or up will do), and a working 1080p TV and you're off to the races. My old piece of crap was built when I was first married 10 years ago. Still works and still provides a better gaming experience than it should. 1080p on a 50-inch plasma looks great when you sit 6-7 feet away from it. :)

I would be fine with a 36" flat 8K 120Hz OLED with 1600 peak nits for HDR content!
And under $3k! ;-)
Wouldn't we all...

I honestly just want something that has single-strobing or a good BFI all the way down to 60hz for gaming. Sony's PVM's had scanning like a CRT display. No, they weren't as clear in motion as CRT (7.5 ms persistence vs 1 ms of CRT) but it was about plasma quality. I'll take that over sample-and-old any day.

Most games are now controller-compatible. So there are a good portion, like myself, who use our old Steam boxes as game consoles. Just wanted to point that out. All you need for a decent couch gaming experience is a decent old machine (really anything GTX-970 or up will do), and a working 1080p TV and you're off to the races. My old piece of crap was built when I was first married 10 years ago. Still works and still provides a better gaming experience than it should. 1080p on a 50-inch plasma looks great when you sit 6-7 feet away from it. :)

Oh yeah for sure, I'm not knocking it! Just we see so much emphasis on pushing for higher resolutions and yet people are still largely using 1080p haha. I think it's due to cost factors, but probably people are also just generally satisfied with it to one degree or another. I still have an old 43" 1080p Vizio that I game on a lot in the living room as well, looks pretty good 6 feet away!

Oh yeah for sure, I'm not knocking it! Just we see so much emphasis on pushing for higher resolutions and yet people are still largely using 1080p haha. I think it's due to cost factors, but probably people are also just generally satisfied with it to one degree or another. I still have an old 43" 1080p Vizio that I game on a lot in the living room as well, looks pretty good 6 feet away!
For sure. I'm a little concerned that we're not going to see 1080p OLED's. I don't want to have to get a 4k monitor and the hardware to push it if 1080p is good enough. Yeah yeah... "get with the times". I get that (not putting words in your mouth - just citing an often-spoken point). It's just that for the longest time, being on my Sony FW-900 allowed me to play the latest games with image quality that consistently outdid what was available, even if I mostly stuck with 1920x1200 resolution.

I need to hit blurbusters forum and poke around. One big thing that I've noticed an extreme lack of, are TV displays that handle motion clarity all the way down to 60hz (or 50hz for y'all PAL folks) well. LG's CX was the only TV that actually improved on Plasma in this area. And now the C1 has taken a step back. 8ms of persistence I think puts it near Plasma, but you had last year's model beating it. I only know of one other TV that handles 60hz well and that's Samsung's Q90 series. Everything else, if it even supports 60hz strobing in the first place, has poorly-timed strobes so that it's cross-talk galore.

It's just super frustrating that here we are in 2022, and really the tech is there. We just need someone to give a damn enough to take a day and tune the strobe so that it doesn't suck ass. But whatever - here we are.

For sure. I'm a little concerned that we're not going to see 1080p OLED's. I don't want to have to get a 4k monitor and the hardware to push it if 1080p is good enough. Yeah yeah... "get with the times". I get that (not putting words in your mouth - just citing an often-spoken point). It's just that for the longest time, being on my Sony FW-900 allowed me to play the latest games with image quality that consistently outdid what was available, even if I mostly stuck with 1920x1200 resolution.
You can run 4K screens with integer scaling at 1080p or you can turn off scaling and run 1080p in a smaller size at the center of the screen. I see no need for 1080p OLEDs as desktop monitors.

You can run 4K screens with integer scaling at 1080p or you can turn off scaling and run 1080p in a smaller size at the center of the screen. I see no need for 1080p OLEDs as desktop monitors.

Would probably need smaller sized screens for that then. 1080p on a 42 or 48 inch screen looks asstastic.

This is not true. Literally 100% of competitors in all games still use 1080p displays. Apex, COD, CS, League, Halo, etc... all 1080p

And? Most "competitors" in games aren't computer enthusiasts. They just want the cheapest/fastest monitor they can buy. They can get away with horrid 1080p because they play potato graphic games at high refresh. And no, plenty of "competitive" players have moved up to 1440p.

Not even sure if there are any monitors even sold anymore under 1080p resolution. That makes 1080p bottom of the barrel. You will *not* see a high refresh 1080p OLED monitor come to market.

Then you can use the no scaling option.

That could work if you had an easy way to bring the monitor closer to you. From your normal viewing distance for a 48 inch display, using 1080p with no scaling results in a screen that's now too small and far away.

That could work if you had an easy way to bring the monitor closer to you. From your normal viewing distance for a 48 inch display, using 1080p with no scaling results in a screen that's now too small and far away.
you're trying way, way too hard to hang onto 1080p, lol

you're trying way, way too hard to hang onto 1080p, lol

I'm not? My arguments was that 1080p integer scaling looks HORRIBLE on a big screen, and that 1080p with NO scaling looks too small and far. So....how am I trying to hang onto 1080p here? If anything I'm trying to say it's a bad idea.

I'm not? My arguments was that 1080p integer scaling looks HORRIBLE on a big screen, and that 1080p with NO scaling looks too small and far. So....how am I trying to hang onto 1080p here? If anything I'm trying to say it's a bad idea.
sorry, given the context i thought you were trying to explain the upside of 1080p oled displays in the "ideal" size range, but i see that you were just pointing out the issues with 1080p on large format displays.

I agree that integer scaling looks horrible. IMO the non-integer scaled 1080p picture on my 48CX looks buch better.
But a non-scaled 1080p image on 48-inch 4K OLED produces an 24 inch picture, which is the most commonly used screen size/resolution combination in use.
We are just spoiled with large screen estate :D.

I’m sure the trickle down question was as much about more affordable (and smaller) monitors as lower resolution.
OLEDs are still somewhat expensive to make although as the tech has evolved that has come down. Samsung and LG generally don’t want to sell very cheap panels for their latest tech. JP OLED makes high end 60hz for professional use. As more chinese panels and older production lines become available we will probably see cheaper panels. Samsung makes their older OLED panels (non QD) for laptops and tablets pretty cheap because of volume, we need something like that for monitor sizes 20-30”.

And? Most "competitors" in games aren't computer enthusiasts. They just want the cheapest/fastest monitor they can buy. They can get away with horrid 1080p because they play potato graphic games at high refresh. And no, plenty of "competitive" players have moved up to 1440p.

Not even sure if there are any monitors even sold anymore under 1080p resolution. That makes 1080p bottom of the barrel. You will *not* see a high refresh 1080p OLED monitor come to market.
I never said that we'd see high refresh OLEDs at 1080p but I think if they existed they would sell like hotcakes. 360hz 1080P monitors are extremely expensive and still sell well. Less than 1% of Apex legends competitors have moved above 1080p, most of them use $600 Zowie monitors. I'm planning on buying the Alienware QD-OLED on launch day but if my KDR drops in Warzone because of the higher resolution or ultra-wide I'll be returning it. The only games I play are Battleroyales and Rocket league.

Back