Thoughts on if OLED will trickle down

I look at OLED and really love the amazing image quality. For me one of the concerns is the high cost and then add in 4K. I want the display for gaming, the primary need with some media consumption and web browsing as the rest. I do not need the massive screen area afforded by a 4K display but there are other concerns as well. Right now to buy a beautiful OLED display and get the GPU needed to properly drive it for my needs I will have to spend around $2000 or better for the display and card. At 1080P with a Radeon 6600 I can build a fully system, add a display with 144hz and a great VA panel and come in at around $1500. That is a complete system (well build BTW) with display for 25% less cost than just the display and GPU for current OLED.

In the current market 1080P is a real consideration from a pure hardware cost perspective.

I look at OLED and really love the amazing image quality. For me one of the concerns is the high cost and then add in 4K. I want the display for gaming, the primary need with some media consumption and web browsing as the rest. I do not need the massive screen area afforded by a 4K display but there are other concerns as well. Right now to buy a beautiful OLED display and get the GPU needed to properly drive it for my needs I will have to spend around $2000 or better for the display and card. At 1080P with a Radeon 6600 I can build a fully system, add a display with 144hz and a great VA panel and come in at around $1500. That is a complete system (well build BTW) with display for 25% less cost than just the display and GPU for current OLED.

In the current market 1080P is a real consideration from a pure hardware cost perspective.
What high cost? Are people forgetting that plasmas used to go for tens of thousands of dollars at one point? The fact that I can get a brand new TV for $1500 with this kind of image quality is crazy. Just saying…

What high cost? Are people forgetting that plasmas used to go for tens of thousands of dollars at one point? The fact that I can get a brand new TV for $1500 with this kind of image quality is crazy. Just saying…
I think he meant the GPU power you need to push a 4k screen. Honestly it is time to move on from 1080p. I personally haven't had a 1080p screen for the past decade.

I think he meant the GPU power you need to push a 4k screen. Honestly it is time to move on from 1080p. I personally haven't had a 1080p screen for the past decade.

It's definitely time to move on from 1080p if you have a newish GPU. I think the only good reason to stick with 1080p is you're on an extreme budget, or you want 360hz.

Scaling is actually good now. A while back using any scaling made things look like crap and "upscaling" was a buzzword for suckers. Now we have DLSS, FidelityFX, and a bunch of technology games can use to make scaling actually look good. Nearly every game has options to set a render scale now and will render the UI natively at resolution to keep it crisp but render the 3D stuff at lower resolution and scale that separately. You can render at 1080p and scale up and it will look significantly better. A lot of games even have dynamic resolution and you can just set a target framerate.

Bandwidth is high enough that you can do both high resolution and high refresh rate now. Back in the day you either had to choose high resolution or high refresh rate. There was a time if you wanted 4k you could only get 30hz. Now you can have 4k@144hz. And you can use scaling to help hit higher refresh rates.

VRR makes a huge difference. Before you had to maintain a constant framerate equal to your refresh rate for things to look good and you were still going to get occasional dips and there wasn't much you could do about it unless you ran way lower settings, often resolution being one of the sacrifices. Now you can use gsync or freesync and run at higher detail, resolution, and refresh rates and things look better.

If you play any older games, most of them can easily be maxed out at 1080p with excess FPS. The only way to make them look better is render at higher resolution. That's even the case some newer games.

Back