This is why Fury X can't ever touch Maxwell

Maybe it will be their last XD. Go out with a bang, dual gpu that will sit on top for a while. Crossfire was a useless experience for me, brought on more troubles than not, and is completely unusable in modded ENB skyrim. Having said that, im yet to try SLi these days, not that i really need it with a 980ti just yet, but i have heard better things. I wonder how much it will cost. Maybe 999 like a titan x?

Historically these types of cards have always been at least 2x the price of the single GPU variant.

Dual GPU is still a "last resort" option in my opinion (either implementation). Whether that is because of monetary reasons or that the fastest single option is not enough.

100 bucks more? You can buy 980 Ti cards with non reference coolers for only 10 bucks more and full non reference cards for only 30 bucks more. And as already pointed out even the reference cards can do better than the out of the box clocks of the non reference cards. And even the freaking reference card at reference speeds is already a few percent better than the Fury X at 1440 which is where most people will be using them. So stock to stock the 980 Ti wins by a tiny bit and oc to oc the 980 ti is quite bit faster.

I was talking about Fury Tri-X from that review, not Fury X. The Tri-X is $570 and performs close to the 980 TI / Titan in many of the benchmarks yet is $100 cheaper.

I don't see the Fury air being remotely close to the 980 Ti, unless I am looking at something else.

Am I missing something or does it seem that it's pointless to buy a FuryX and a stock 980 Ti is 15% faster than either of the cards?

Well it is pointless to buy a FuryX over a 980ti, wouldnt say 15% advantage at stock but definitely oc'ed. If you're in the market for one of these cards i will highly recommend the MSI gaming (not the LE version) 980ti, its great for 30 bucks more.

I don't see the Fury air being remotely close to the 980 Ti, unless I am looking at something else.

Apparently you didn't view the images in the OP?

GTA:

Fury X: 42/54
980 TI: 45/53
Fury Tri-X: 40/51 (2 fps less)

Shadow of Mordor:
Fury X: 37/47
980 TI: 36/45
Fury Tri-X: 35/44 (1 fps less)

Witcher:
Fury X: 33/37
980 TI: 31/36
Fury Tri-X: 31/35 (1 fps less)

GPU Temp:
Fury: 29/65
Fury Tri-X: 48/79
980 TI: 32/80

If you can't read the OP, don't comment.

The Fury Tri-X is the regular Fury but with a custom (Tri-X) cooler, since they are all custom designs and not reference like Fury X.

Its $570 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202156

vs $650 for cheapest 980 TI / Fury X (OOS)

Those benches are at a 4K. Unfortunately the Fury starts trailing the Ti by quite a bit at 1440p.

And when you factor to OC to OC performance, the Ti ends up being notably faster even at 4K too.

In my case I game at 1440, and I overclock my cards. For ~18% more money, the Ti gives me around 25% more performance than a regular Fury. So it was a no brainer to go Nvidia this time.

GTA:

Shadow of Mordor:

Witcher:

GPU Temp:

The Fury Tri-X is the regular Fury but with a custom (Tri-X) cooler, since they are all custom designs and not reference like Fury X.

Not sure the variable nature of the review from other websites. But even if we consider this to be correct. FuryX is the most pointless card ever made.

980 Ti with it's 25% performance increase from overclocking would cream the competition and would be well worth for 50$ more.

Just my 2 cents.

GTA:

Shadow of Mordor:

Witcher:

GPU Temp:

Why pay $80 less for an inferior card that can't OC at all? And those numbers for reference cards (all of them) are not playable at 4K. You should post the 1440p numbers as something more realistic where you see the Fury and Fury X get demolished. The only card that does 4K reasonably well is this Zotac one.

It should just be Fury Tri-X vs 980ti. At least the Fury is $100 cheaper... At least there's some weighing to do. If spending that much money I'd still jump on the 980ti with better OC and 2GB more ram. At least there's a trade off.

Fury X... Ehh the only hard thinking there is to actually find a pro.

It should just be Fury Tri-X vs 980ti. At least the Fury is $100 cheaper... At least there's some weighing to do. If spending that much money I'd still jump on the 980ti with better OC and 2GB more ram. At least there's a trade off.

Fury X... Ehh the only hard thinking there is to actually find a pro.

If the Fury came in at $399 it would've been a killer card. I would just buy two for CF at that price as it wouldn't be much more than a 980 Ti. Remember the R9 290 launched at $399 and was slightly faster than the $500 780. That is the kind of value I expect from AMD and they didn't deliver in performance or price this time :(

Yet, neither card can decently play Batman.

I find benchmarks only good for one thing and one thing only: Which card can get me the most decent resolution and higher fps with the least amount of $$$ I'll be spending.

$650 for a video card? I'll buy a GTX 970 and an XBOX ONE, that way I get the best of both worlds. Not to mention XBOX ONE plays Batman with no glitches.

Youre joking right? Tell me youre trolling...

[n]vidiaism is a mental disorder. :p

The 970/980 are now pointless as the 390x/Fury Pro are better, but I've got to admit the 980i is a beast in single card performance.
However, those with deep pockets will enjoy superior performance at 4K with Fury Pro/Fury X in Crossfire vs even maxed oc'd 980ti/Titan X's. Make it 3-way Crossfire and it will pound a tri-sli set-up.

Didn't you have a different name when you got banned?

Your IP seems very familiar.

I don't know about the rest of you but I will not just be buying one Fury X.
Then things change completely.. its true strength is multi GPU 4k gaming. At that, it is the best overall, even the titan can't touch it.

Flamebait title, so much hate lol. It's like honda hate, because the engine is small and the car is light etc... different approach.

And the best part is the heat is dumped outside of the case immediately via the built in WC...

Seriously bro, that is the most nerdy thing I have ever heard.

Madgun walks up to a hot chick at the bar and says "hey beautiful, your IP seems very familiar, wanna dance?" What a dork........

Dude I am just trying to fish the banned guys out. You seemingly are from the same area.. Should raise some flags right? :p

Seriously bro, that is the most nerdy thing I have ever heard.

Madgun walks up to a hot chick at the bar and says "hey beautiful, your IP seems very familiar, wanna dance?" What a dork........

Uhm..

You are on a computer hardware overclocker's forum, discussing the superiority/inferiority of various graphics processing vendors.

Trying to dodge the snoop by accusing someone of being 'nerdy' is the most likely way YOU are going to be singled out. Yes, if your IP address is similar/identical to a banned user, you WOULD be trying to dodge the topic and blowing it off like a frat boy.

I don't know about the rest of you but I will not just be buying one Fury X.
Then things change completely.. its true strength is multi GPU 4k gaming. At that, it is the best overall, even the titan can't touch it.

Flamebait title, so much hate lol. It's like honda hate, because the engine is small and the car is light etc... different approach.

And the best part is the heat is dumped outside of the case immediately via the built in WC...

Yea, if you are intent on going multi GPU I agree that Fury seems like the better option. Unless you crank up the fans 980 Tis throttle in SLI on air, and don't scale as well, so any performance advantage is negated even at 1440p

Yea, if you are intent on going multi GPU I agree that Fury seems like the better option. Unless you crank up the fans 980 Tis throttle in SLI on air, and don't scale as well, so any performance advantage is negated even at 1440p
Lies, my maximum temperatures with two 980ti's in sli is 74ºc overclocked, this is with a 140mm noctua fan at half speed pointed at them on the side panel, I can't hear the cards fans since they don't go over 65%~

Ambient temperature = hot as hell

Did I also said amd driver support sucks yet ?

Lies, my maximum temperatures with two 980ti's in sli is 74ºc overclocked, this is with a 140mm noctua fan at half speed pointed at them on the side panel, I can't hear the cards fans since they don't go over 65%~

Hey, looks like actual user experience from an owner of these cards! his situation will help us make an impartial decision and help illuminate the situation...

Did I also said amd driver support sucks yet ?

....and then he said that. Now we know he's a fanboy who probably embellished his results in Nvidia's favour...

At what speed? Are you getting over 1300 MHz boost sustained on both cards? The extra fan is probably helping quite a bit too.

It'll highly depend on ambient temps, but just saying I have seen people on other forums struggle to keep the cards cool overclocked in SLI. It is probably why we seen some reviews show less than stellar scaling with 980 Ti, if boost clock is throttling.

Here is a chart from Hardware.fr, they recorded clocks with SLI vs single card at default fan profile. Reference card though, but this was not even overclocked and SLI was still throttling.

edit: seems they block hotlinking to images, here is a direct link: http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/47/IMG0047725.png

Last edited:
Hey, looks like actual user experience from an owner of these cards! his situation will help us make an impartial decision and help illuminate the situation...

....and then he said that. Now we know he's a fanboy who probably embellished his results in Nvidia's favour...
yes, I'm a fanboy considering I've been using amd since the HD3850 AGP card, these 980ti's are my first nvidia cards in ages.

At what speed? Are you getting over 1300 MHz boost sustained on both cards? The extra fan is probably helping quite a bit too.

It'll highly depend on ambient temps, but just saying I have seen people on other forums struggle to keep the cards cool overclocked in SLI. It is probably why we seen some reviews show less than stellar scaling with 980 Ti, if boost clock is throttling.

Here is a chart from Hardware.fr, they recorded clocks with SLI vs single card at default fan profile. Reference card though, but this was not even overclocked and SLI was still throttling.

edit: seems they block hotlinking to images, here is a direct link: http://www.hardware.fr/medias/photos_news/00/47/IMG0047725.png

Maximum clocks on both cards are 1494mhz~on the core, haven't overclocked memory yet.

And yeah, extra fan is a must for sli/cfx along with decent case airflow.

[n]vidiaism is a mental disorder. :p

The 970/980 are now pointless as the 390x/Fury Pro are better, but I've got to admit the 980i is a beast in single card performance.
However, those with deep pockets will enjoy superior performance at 4K with Fury Pro/Fury X in Crossfire vs even maxed oc'd 980ti/Titan X's. Make it 3-way Crossfire and it will pound a tri-sli set-up.

And you have a tri-sli to compare yeah? From my experience with xfire i cannot imagine this to be the case, although i have seen the scaling numbers on a quad furyx to be roughly 98%-75%-30% on the fourth. These arent bad numbers if they are true, although the PC i am referring to was built by an AMD employee. IIRC there is another way to look at those scaling numbers where they determined it was actually 98% across all 4 but i didnt understand it.

Crossfire has always been useless to me on 7970s, maybe theyve made improvements to these cards but i dont think the coding for it could of gotten that much greater. Sure SLi will have its problems, but from the users that have quoted on it in games i follow it seems to be working well.

And you have a tri-sli to compare yeah? From my experience with xfire i cannot imagine this to be the case, although i have seen the scaling numbers on a quad furyx to be roughly 98%-75%-30% on the fourth. These arent bad numbers if they are true, although the PC i am referring to was built by an AMD employee. IIRC there is another way to look at those scaling numbers where they determined it was actually 98% across all 4 but i didnt understand it.

Crossfire has always been useless to me on 7970s, maybe theyve made improvements to these cards but i dont think the coding for it could of gotten that much greater. Sure SLi will have its problems, but from the users that have quoted on it in games i follow it seems to be working well.

I dislike multiGPU in general, but above two way has always been horrid.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...-GTX-980-Ti-2-and-3-Way-Multi-GPU-Performance

Well you did call him a liar and then found the need to spew the usual [n]Vidia fanboy talking point "AMD drivers suck." Don't you agree that was a little much?
not really, like I said before most of my games didn't support crossfire, new ones barely did and only after a month or so, for single card drivers work, crossfire is another story.

1075 mhz to 1550 mhz (the standard kingpin can be overclocked more then its base boost clocks ;) )

Im of the same opinion as Boris Vorontsov, creator of ENB mods, that multi-gpu is no excuse to counter crap performance of a single card. Only reason of ever bought 2 or 3 was because it was a very good deal at the time.

If you are an Australian, 2x 980tis with g10 and kraken x41s on both still is not much more than 2x furyx, if you buy the 980tis in the states. This is relevant as a lot of people in Aus are actually paying the minimum 999 for the FuryX here in our stores, and can receive the 980tis just as quickly from the states as theyd have to wait right now for the furyx to be in stock XD.

1075 mhz to 1550 mhz (the standard kingpin can be overclocked more then its base boost clocks ;) )
Lol you might want to get your numbers straight. You are comparing advertised reference boost to actual in game max boost on the overclocked Kingpin. A reference 980 Ti actually boosts to around 1200 max in game especially if all you do is raise the power target. If you leave power target alone (which is stupid) then it still averages around 1150 due to throttle on out of box power limit. 1550 is less that 30% OC from the actual max in game boost on reference 980 Ti.

not really, like I said before most of my games didn't support crossfire, new ones barely did and only after a month or so, for single card drivers work, crossfire is another story.

I can attest to this, xfire never seemed to work where it was needed. I wouldn't go so far as to say the drivers were crap (edit - for single cards too), although one big problem i had with xfire in a few titles was the afr. Also the lack of being able to change the amount of pre rendered frames in the catalyst software was a big minus for me, the fuck around i had to go through was ridiculous imo.

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...reviewed-evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-kingpin.html

Expensive as it is, a 50% overclock over the standard 980 ti, that is impressive.

Their numbers are all over the place. 390X is charting higher than a Titan X @ 4K in GTA V o_O

And apparently the Kingpin card is getting 58% over a Titan X. It is an impressive card no doubt but some of those numbers make no sense :confused:

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-kingpin.html?start=13

Good grief....you are claiming the Fury/Fury X offer "crap" performance!? The only 'crap' that has been released recently is the 970.

Howd i know that would be a reply XD. I considered editing that to state i didnt completely mean the FuryX was crap, just dual gpus in general should never replace 1 really good one.

Edit - agreed on the 970. Over on Nexus forums many users keep suggesting people get dual 970s over say a 980ti. Worst advice ever.

Their numbers are all over the place. 390X is charting higher than a Titan X @ 4K in GTA V o_O

And apparently the Kingpin card is getting 58% over a Titan X. It is an impressive card no doubt but some of those numbers make no sense :confused:

http://www.hardwareluxx.com/index.p...evga-geforce-gtx-980-ti-kingpin.html?start=13

The GPU boost clock on their GPUz screenshot was showing 1411MHz, but hits 1550 apparently.......On GTA V;does better at 4k than the rest until 1080p and below , which is lower.

All other cards must have been stock clocks w/ their boosts. Maybe the KingPin pushes more on its boost clock.

If you are an Australian, 2x 980tis with g10 and kraken x41s on both still is not much more than 2x furyx, if you buy the 980tis in the states. This is relevant as a lot of people in Aus are actually paying the minimum 999 for the FuryX here in our stores, and can receive the 980tis just as quickly from the states as theyd have to wait right now for the furyx to be in stock XD.

I always waited 1-2 months after launch to buy flagships, as they drop closer to US MSRP in AU/NZ. Once this happens, the tax difference upon import makes it nearly moot and there is more stock.

That said, this time around, I'm in Germany so will be keeping an eye on things to see when price drops a little.
At some points though, you could fly from New Zealand to Australia, buy 3-4 cards, sell two or three and make your flight costs and more back... ridiculous launch markup gouging. I refuse to play that game.

I always waited 1-2 months after launch to buy flagships, as they drop closer to US MSRP in AU/NZ. Once this happens, the tax difference upon import makes it nearly moot and there is more stock.

That said, this time around, I'm in Germany so will be keeping an eye on things to see when price drops a little.
At some points though, you could fly from New Zealand to Australia, buy 3-4 cards, sell two or three and make your flight costs and more back... ridiculous launch markup gouging. I refuse to play that game.

Its just plain ridiculous what they are charging us here. I paid less than 900 delivered on my 980ti gaming, PC Case Gear has em for 1099 lmao. Actually there is one joint in NZ that is selling things much cheaper than here and in a lot of cases anywhere, its on ebay and i cant recall the name right now, but delivery was fast on my G700S and G19S mouse/keyboard, and i paid 250 for both all up delivered. Havent been back to look but they did have some gpus and nice monitors going amongst a lot of other stuff.

2007 called and they want their "burn" back.

I have been using AMD/ATI exclusive since the 4850 and never had problems with drivers (though i dont crossfire for gaming)

Its just plain ridiculous what they are charging us here. I paid less than 900 delivered on my 980ti gaming, PC Case Gear has em for 1099 lmao. Actually there is one joint in NZ that is selling things much cheaper than here and in a lot of cases anywhere, its on ebay and i cant recall the name right now, but delivery was fast on my G700S and G19S mouse/keyboard, and i paid 250 for both all up delivered. Havent been back to look but they did have some gpus and nice monitors going amongst a lot of other stuff.

So under 900 NZD delivered for a 980Ti? From ebay? That's a damn bargain... did you get stung for tax too?
If you remember the store you mention, please let me know or PM, be very interested to check this out and for when back in NZ.

Just looked on ricespy, 980ti prices are ridiculous.. that's like launch gouging on most AMD flagships, but months later... Fury X launch money. That's getting preposterous. But suckers will be paying that, I guess a vast majority of people are running 1600p or less in NZ so the Ti is a better choice, hence pricing.. in fact most people I know run 1080p full stop.
But for me a PC is productivity and gaming so it makes sense to splash out, pays for itself very quickly.

What you got your Ti for is where I typically jump, 950-850 region, ref models to avoid binning etc.

That said I usually get almost everything from CL, I enjoy the local support and a store that speaks fluent english... Have put over 30k through them via family, friends, business over the years so they do a good deal for me personally. Just not launch GPUs.. they never do good pricing on that. Maybe one day :)

One thing I found funny was the 5820s were $50 cheaper in NZ at CL, than in EU! Wtf!

Back