This is why Fury X can't ever touch Maxwell

Fury X allows better gaming experience than the 980ti.
cant touch that

How so? It performs worse the lower the res from 4k, and most gamers use 1080p or 2k screens, and no, its simply bs to say only people with 4k would buy this.

Edit - And lets not talk about frame times on the FuryX XD

How so? It performs worse the lower the res from 4k, and most gamers use 1080p or 2k screens, and no, its simply bs to say only people with 4k would buy this.

The card was primarily advertised for 4k, which it does great in. That was the main push from AMD, 4k screens to be used in conjunction with Fury.

If someone were to do a blind test at low or high resolutions between 980ti and Fury you wouldn't know a god damn difference. The chase of minute FPS increases gets the worst of this community...

For a time i still considered the furyx for the watercooler, wasnt the whine that stopped me from buying it but the lower res performance. My modded Skyrim wont get 60fps on any res over 1080p, given i can get 60 at 2k in some interiors but outdoors the number of triangles on screen in a lot of town scenes easily hit 5 million plus. Id be interested to test the furyx first hand but as i cannot afford to, these statistics/observations scared me away.

Also while im at it, for those of us in Australia, the watercooler doesnt justify the cost of 999 as i bought my 980ti from BHPhoto for less than 900 converted and can fit a kraken x41 with g10 for not much more. So for me the cost works out the same for watercooling, maybe not for the US peoples but still a valid point i say.

That kraken and g10 needs a fan for the VRMs, which is affected by ambient case temps, the Fury X does not.

If you listen to the Techreport blog on youtube they mentioned the settings AMD used on the early benchmarks. As TR said, they change the game settings a real person would play the game. ie: turn up quality when it doesn't kill performance, enable AA, etc. So when he got very different results he went back and took a look at what they did.

According to them, in a lot of the games AMD basically turned down (or off) texture filtering and/or anisotropic filtering, turned up the quality of shader effects in games, and in most cases did not use MSAA but used FXAA or SMAA since the shader array is the real strong point of the F-X. However, I don't think a lot of people really play games with those kinds of settings which is why when review sites came out with real world settings the results were different.

If you care to listen to their podcast: https://youtu.be/28CECF_Cieo?t=41m00s

According to Linus (linustechtips) the Fury X actually beats the reference 980ti in small form factor pcs. Thanks to thermal throttling.

We all know the 980Ti and other maxwell variants overclock well. Testing on a open air bench certainly favors the 980TI and its reference blower. However in hot environments/ small enclosures the Fury X does actually win in performance thanks to its far better cooling.

Don't dismiss the Fury X performance because its lower than the 980ti on a open bench and when overclocking is concerned. It's still a fast card.

That kraken and g10 needs a fan for the VRMs, which is affected by ambient case temps, the Fury X does not.

Valid point but meh. Kraken x61 on both cpu and gpu keeps those down, overkill yes but for the price of 20 bucks more wth. IIRC i saw some thermal screens of the furyx hitting 104c on the vrms...

Sure its still a fast card and sure the watercooler is a great value-add. But as it stands it is not world fastest, and still cant beat 980ti in most cases. If and when we see overclocking happening on the furyx, maybe itll become the best. Maybe with driver maturity too. But at 64 rops i highly doubt that

Why are people still acting like AMD is completely loosing everything?

Fury X is very close in performance with the 980 TI while cooler and quieter and smaller due to the $100 in watercooling you are getting.

The 380 is better for the price than the 960

The 390 is better for the price than the 970

But but.. those are rebrands!!

So you're telling me that rebrands of old cards are beating Nvidia's newest? So you can get even cheaper used old ones that will beat out Nvidia's newest? Oh ok.

Its amazing how much people love to try and put down AMD for everything they do, just be happy with what you have and know that w/o AMD, you wouldn't have your 980 TI, just the $300 more Titan thats getting beat out by that 980 TI due to competition from AMD.

Maybe reference designs, but most gtx 960 and 970's are none reference with pricing slightly lower than AMD new series.

Considering the rebranded series basically is all nonreference, it's only fair to compare the cards to nonereference 960 and 970s, particularly when the these cards are cheaper than the rebranded amd series.

Both AMD and Nvidia keep each other in check. If it wasn't for Nvidia, AMD cards would be priced higher and this includes the Fury x.

As a long time amd user... fuck amd, most games I played didn't have crossfire profile, new games had no support for weeks to a month or two leaving me to use a single 7950, even if was cheaper and faster it's still plagued by the garbage support on the software side.

Now with nvidia even games like world of tanks and euro truck simulator 2 have a friking sli profile, just goes to show both companies are not even at the same level.

Why go with a Fury-X over a 980Ti?

As others have mentioned Freesync monitors are significantly cheaper than their G-Sync equivalents. If I want to go Nvidia, I've got to tack another $200-300 to my purchase to get adaptive frame sync (AFS). That's not a small amount of money.

I ended up buying a non-AFS screen and a new 980Ti (for <$600) so at that point it made sense to go with Nvidia. AMD is still a good consideration though despite the performance delta although I think they should drop the price down to $599.

If you listen to the Techreport blog on youtube they mentioned the settings AMD used on the early benchmarks. As TR said, they change the game settings a real person would play the game. ie: turn up quality when it doesn't kill performance, enable AA, etc. So when he got very different results he went back and took a look at what they did.

According to them, in a lot of the games AMD basically turned down (or off) texture filtering and/or anisotropic filtering, turned up the quality of shader effects in games, and in most cases did not use MSAA but used FXAA or SMAA since the shader array is the real strong point of the F-X. However, I don't think a lot of people really play games with those kinds of settings which is why when review sites came out with real world settings the results were different.

If you care to listen to their podcast: https://youtu.be/28CECF_Cieo?t=41m00s

The actual settings are here: (Source)

AMD-Radeon-R9-FURY-X-vs-980-TI.jpg

The 99 percentile being worse than a 980? :D

everybody needs to buy an AMD video card because at the current pace, the only option we will have in 5 years is Nvidia.

also, looks like my 295x2 will hold out for a while provided the drivers don't get worse.

everybody needs to buy an AMD video card because at the current pace, the only option we will have in 5 years is Nvidia.

also, looks like my 295x2 will hold out for a while provided the drivers don't get worse.

AMD has already said they are abandoning the PC market. Buying a few of their overpriced cards won't change that.

AMD has already said they are abandoning the PC market. Buying a few of their overpriced cards won't change that.

They have not said that, why do you post such garbage, only thing they have said is that the PC market is no longer their sole focus. I know one day you might be able to make a post without it being full of FUD, but I might die of old age first.

They have not said that, why do you post such garbage, only thing they have said is that the PC market is no longer their sole focus. I know one day you might be able to make a post without it being full of FUD, but I might die of old age first.

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morning_call/2015/06/amd-ceo-talks-of-long-term-turnaround.html

"She said, however, that AMD plans to stay away from developing for the personal computer market because of its volatility."

That's from AMD's CEO.

I guess you should accuse her of being full of FUD and whatever. :rolleyes:

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/morning_call/2015/06/amd-ceo-talks-of-long-term-turnaround.html

That's from AMD's CEO.

I guess you should accuse her of being full of FUD and whatever. :rolleyes:

So why are they planning on releasing a new dual gpu card based on fury then?

And why is she pleased with the fury launch if they are planning on getting out of GPUs?

The company&#8217;s CEO Dr Lisa Su said that AMD is quite pleased with the R9 Fury X launch. Then she went on to state that high R9 Fury X demand is not actually a bad thing and that the
&#8220;Our initial ramp-up has been as expected, we&#8217;re pleased with the Fury X ramp-up. Certainly the fact that it&#8217;s out of stock is not a bad thing cause it gives us good confidence that the customers are appreciating the product. Fury just launched actually this week and we will be launching Nano in the August timeframe. I think overall the High Bandwidth Memory ramp-up is going as expected and we have a number of products coming out.&#8221; Said Dr Lisa Su, AMD President and CEO.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-hbm-ramp-expected-shortages-fury-fury/#ixzz3gZXV53Ir

Radeon-R9-Fury-X2.jpg

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Radeon-R9-Fury-X2.jpg

Note my links are from a newer interview, maybe you are just taking what she said out of context like always :)

Note my links are from a newer interview, maybe you are just taking what she said out of context like always :)

Your links are from wccftech :D I posted a direct quote from an actual news site, so there would be nothing for me to take out of context.

It's not like they developed Fiji the day she became CEO. That product was probably in development before she was hired (or it's just Tonga). Of course she's not going to bash current products. Future development is where they are walking away from the PC market.

But maybe she's just an NVIDIA shill. :rolleyes:

What is it about AMD that turns their fans into such zealots?

You of all people have no fucking room to talk....Have you looked in the mirror lately?

Your links are from wccftech :D I posted a direct quote from an actual news site, so there would be nothing for me to take out of context.

It's not like they developed Fiji the day she became CEO. That product was probably in development before she was hired (or it's just Tonga). Of course she's not going to bash current products. Future development is where they are walking away from the PC market.

But maybe she's just an NVIDIA shill. :rolleyes:

Did you not notice mine was a direct quote from her? Please show me a quote saying they are going to stop developing GPUs (hint, there are multiple parts they make for computers in multiple segments, APU, GPU, CPU etc)

I'm not a fanboy, I go with whatever is best price/performance and usually go 2nd from best from either camp. I'd never spend $600+ on a GPU though, the pricing has become ridiculous lately.

You however, are a complete zealot which makes me laugh that you'd try to call me out.

Knee-jerk response to nVidia fanboys posting provocative material, taking things out of context, missing the point, or just posting plain FUD.

I swear, the worst part about nVidia is actually its userbase. Yes obviously AMD has its own share of fanboys, but 9 times out of 10 they're on the defensive, while 9 times out of 10 nVidia fanboys are on the offensive. I wonder why?

Edit: I guess tybert mentioned it already:

Nvidia fans in particular take special delight in sh*tting on amd, nothing new to see here. It's not enough to simply buy their nvidia cards and be happy, they feel impelled to try and convince others that nvidia is the only thing worthy of anyones money.

Last edited:
Also is no one going to talk about the Elephant in the room that is the Fury Tri-X which is neck and neck with the 980 TI / Titan in most games, while only being $570?

For a single card especially with a non-reference cooler I agree. With the right case Fury X may be the way to go with crossfire. Just due to noise and scaling.

And are over $100 more, so yeah I'd expect them to do better.

Even reference 980tis can hit those clock speeds. Although I probably wouldn't deal with the noise.

We are talking about a considerable difference at times for less than 20% more.

Still a better deal than a regular 980. Just not for me.

Even reference 980tis can hit those clock speeds. Although I probably wouldn't deal with the noise.

We are talking about a considerable difference at times for less than 20% more.

Still a better deal than a regular 980. Just not for me.

Where is the considerable difference? I see less than 20% yet its 20% more expensive?

Also is no one going to talk about the Elephant in the room that is the Fury Tri-X which is neck and neck with the 980 TI / Titan in most games, while only being $570?

I think the real 'elephant in the room' is any AMD card cheaper than the 980 Ti. Yes, the 980 Ti is a much better card than the FuryX, and arguably the Fury, but the 390, 380 and 370 are REALLY competitive and OC quite well. As much as we as enthusiasts don't like to admit it, the $200-$400 segment is where the battle rages the hardest, and there is where some real competition takes place.

And are over $100 more, so yeah I'd expect them to do better.
100 bucks more? You can buy 980 Ti cards with non reference coolers for only 10 bucks more and full non reference cards for only 30 bucks more. And as already pointed out even the reference cards can do better than the out of the box clocks of the non reference cards. And even the freaking reference card at reference speeds is already a few percent better than the Fury X at 1440 which is where most people will be using them. So stock to stock the 980 Ti wins by a tiny bit and oc to oc the 980 ti is quite bit faster.

Knee-jerk response to nVidia fanboys posting provocative material, taking things out of context, missing the point, or just posting plain FUD.

I swear, the worst part about nVidia is actually its userbase. Yes obviously AMD has its own share of fanboys, but 9 times out of 10 they're on the defensive, while 9 times out of 10 nVidia fanboys are on the offensive. I wonder why?

Edit: I guess tybert mentioned it already:

This goes for anything really, football teams to car manafacturers. Everyone wants to feel proud of their shit. In my case it is a no brainer, Nvidia is flogging AMD. It is especially fun to watch some of the arguments though, and up until now ive sorta always supported AMD for one reason, i like the red color more than green. Having said that, I am a big fan of the 980ti and my condolences if you bought a Fury X.

And i think that question answers itself, regarding why AMD is always on the defense.

So why are they planning on releasing a new dual gpu card based on fury then?

And why is she pleased with the fury launch if they are planning on getting out of GPUs?

Radeon-R9-Fury-X2.jpg

http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Radeon-R9-Fury-X2.jpg

Maybe it will be their last XD. Go out with a bang, dual gpu that will sit on top for a while. Crossfire was a useless experience for me, brought on more troubles than not, and is completely unusable in modded ENB skyrim. Having said that, im yet to try SLi these days, not that i really need it with a 980ti just yet, but i have heard better things. I wonder how much it will cost. Maybe 999 like a titan x?

This goes for anything really, football teams to car manafacturers. Everyone wants to feel proud of their shit. In my case it is a no brainer, Nvidia is flogging AMD. It is especially fun to watch some of the arguments though, and up until now ive sorta always supported AMD for one reason, i like the red color more than green. Having said that, I am a big fan of the 980ti and my condolences if you bought a Fury X.

And i think that question answers itself, regarding why AMD is always on the defense.

Sports teams I can definitely understand, and cars to some extent. But GPUs? Ffs it's a piece of hardware, one that 90% of the population either don't give a shit about or don't even know what the acronym stands for. If you need to "feel proud" over a GPU, I suggest you go seek help. (not directed to you personally of course)

Sports teams I can definitely understand, and cars to some extent. But GPUs? Ffs it's a piece of hardware, one that 90% of the population either don't give a shit about or don't even know what the acronym stands for. If you need to "feel proud" over a GPU, I suggest you go seek help. (not directed to you personally of course)

Hehe yeah i reckon. Hear in Australia, we have little flames over Holden and Ford cars, namely the V8s. Red team/Blue team. Hence that example. But yeah the GPU wars are something else if not extremes of that analogy.

If someone were to do a blind test at low or high resolutions between 980ti and Fury you wouldn't know a god damn difference. The chase of minute FPS increases gets the worst of this community...
I don't see how the last sentence applies here at all. These cards are priced exactly the same. The Fury X has water cooling, the 980 Ti is faster out of the box, overclocks much better, has HDMI 2.0 and has more VRAM.

At the same exact price point there is very little compelling reason to go with the AMD cards, at least in a single GPU configuration. If the AMD card was cheaper you would absolutely have a point. However, most people buy based on price/performance and the 980 Ti wins right now.

I don't see how the last sentence applies here at all. These cards are priced exactly the same. The Fury X has water cooling, the 980 Ti is faster out of the box, overclocks much better, has HDMI 2.0 and has more VRAM.

At the same exact price point there is very little compelling reason to go with the AMD cards, at least in a single GPU configuration. If the AMD card was cheaper you would absolutely have a point. However, most people buy based on price/performance and the 980 Ti wins right now.

My point exactly. And as per my post a couple pages back, these extra features are simply too compelling for me to even bother looking at the, im gonna say lackluster, FuryX.

everytime I see a prime1 post it reminds me of jessica valenti and anita sarkeesian. they all have one thing in common.

Back