• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

This is how you DO NOT overclock your processor...

VanFanel89

2[H]4U
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Messages
2,933
... wow... just wow... I will let the shitty pictures speak for themselves.

dsc00083zc0.jpg

dsc00086iw3.jpg
 
diredesire said:
Please tell me that is somehow dust, and not thermal paste :(


:(

Also take a hard good look at the heatspreader... anything out of place...?

mpcamer1220 said:
Do you just RMAs?

Ever keep some, for like what squishy said?


I do RMA's as well as testing and various other things... and I wish I could keep some as keychains :(
 
wow.....what exactly happened here......lots of things i notice :confused: :confused:
 
Basically the guy who owned this proc tried to watercool it; the genius put arctic silver all over the pins, and did a crappy job sealing the waterblock since water/moisture accumulated between the block and the proc itself. Guy then took it out when it died, put the heatspreader on and attempted to pass it as a b0rked proc.
 
unfortunately due to social, economic, and geographical reasons, Darwinism's effect is greatly reduced in the human species.

-storm
 
drizzt81 said:
may I ask: what do you do for a living?


ATM I am interning at AMD doing RMAs and various out stuffs that has to do with procs.


edit: I suppose can't really call it an internship since i am working full time :LOL:
 
Wow... so. um... If I uncap my processor and break it... I can get you to RMA it behind the scenes right... right?
 
VanFanel89 said:
ATM I am interning at AMD doing RMAs and various out stuffs that has to do with procs.


edit: I suppose can't really call it an internship since i am working full time :LOL:
I would love to have your job! or anything close to that matter! God I love to breath this stuff :p
 
Asian Dub Foundation said:
lol imagine the look on his face when u guys tell him :)


I actually called him to let him know the warranty is void and what not - he gave me a huge BS excuse, something along the lines of "BUT MY FRIENDS HAD THEIRS REPLACED!"

Had he told me this when he first called; a courtesy replacement might have been given to him... but this.... yeahhhhh no.


Arcygenical said:
Wow... so. um... If I uncap my processor and break it... I can get you to RMA it behind the scenes right... right?


Only if you add a large sum of money ::shifty eyes::
 
VanFanel89 said:
ATM I am interning at AMD doing RMAs and various out stuffs that has to do with procs.


edit: I suppose can't really call it an internship since i am working full time :LOL:

I thought that was what internship was, full time, more work, less pay!

You should release a book of all the great RMA requests...
 
WhoKnowsWho said:
I thought that was what internship was, full time, more work, less pay!

You should release a book of all the great RMA requests...


every 3rd call is "I CANNOT GET ONLINE HEP HEP!"
 
VanFanel89 said:
ATM I am interning at AMD doing RMAs and various out stuffs that has to do with procs.


edit: I suppose can't really call it an internship since i am working full time :LOL:
thanks :) I felt ignorant, since it appears that it is common knowledge that you are at AMD. And yes, tell that guy to go shove it.. I am not willing to subsidize his stupidity!


(Note: If people abuse the RMA process, everybody will pay for it, since it increases the cost for AMD. While it may be a miniscule amount, in the end it's the principle that counts.)
 
Viper87227 said:
aboslutly fucking incredable


I wonder what his mobo looks like :eek:


probably fried as well

did he uncap it himself? or did you take the cap off? i dont see how all that moisture got on the inside of that hat im just bedazzled! lol
 
MOZZ said:
probably fried as well

did he uncap it himself? or did you take the cap off? i dont see how all that moisture got on the inside of that hat im just bedazzled! lol


he uncapped it himself; when i got it, i stuck a paper between the proc and the heatspreader - it went in easy, so i used an exactoknife to pop the heatspreader right out, no force at all
 
what an idiot lol
that is a shame


id like to know what his thinking process on this was or lack of?
 
I've always been curious, the AMD warranty (and many other's I'm sure) says that the warranty is void if the original HSF is not used. How do you guys know?

He could have at least cleaned off some of the AS5 and re-epoxied the cap :D ... Wonder how he even uncapped the proc without chipping the die given his complete dumbassery.
 
I was wondering the same thing about him getting it off without breaking it then =X

should invite him here =)
 
Zoogle said:
I've always been curious, the AMD warranty (and many other's I'm sure) says that the warranty is void if the original HSF is not used. How do you guys know?

In this case, I think the water inside the heatspreader kinda gave it away...
 
When you OC a chip and fri it. Then want it replaced. (I never have) But logic would say, never tell AMD the truth. Act like you used everything stock with it and used stock speeds. And make up a beleaveable story. Not put abunch of M80's around it to pop the IHS off. Or drown it and put it back together again in some crappy way. =P Can he say silicon! lol

Maybe poping off the IHS wasn't the smartest thing for him to do when he wanted to replace it. Its easy when no damage can be seen. But not if you totally F it up with a night on the town. :D
 
Serge84 said:
When you OC a chip and fri it. Then want it replaced. (I never have) But logic would say, never tell AMD the truth. Act like you used everything stock with it and used stock speeds. And make up a beleaveable story. Not put abunch of M80's around it. Or drown it. =P

Hopefully we (as good people) try to do the right thing an eat the cost for something we caused instead of RMAing...
 
VanFanel89 said:
Basically the guy who owned this proc tried to watercool it; the genius put arctic silver all over the pins, and did a crappy job sealing the waterblock since water/moisture accumulated between the block and the proc itself. Guy then took it out when it died, put the heatspreader on and attempted to pass it as a b0rked proc.

XDD Thats pretty funny. Made me laugh like a hiena for real. Thats real rocket science here... Just silly genius. Uses AS on the freaken pins. *Nose bleed* And can't even put a waterblock on right. He must have read the directions backwords. lol

That had me going for awile. Maybe he put the back of the CPU on the socket and had the pins faceing up and put the waterblock on the pins. Now thats real GENIUS! Ha ha ha ha...
 
Zoogle said:
I've always been curious, the AMD warranty (and many other's I'm sure) says that the warranty is void if the original HSF is not used. How do you guys know?

He could have at least cleaned off some of the AS5 and re-epoxied the cap :D ... Wonder how he even uncapped the proc without chipping the die given his complete dumbassery.


there are a lot of things people do that leave clues regarding whether they used the HSF or not - i.e. dust, scrapes on the copper part... lots of telltale signs.
 
Back
Top