• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thinking About Windows 10 Alternatives

The OS itself will never be subscription based. Why would people even bother with Windows based anything then when they do not have to pay a subscription just to used the Android or iOS based phones and tablets? Or what about Mac's that will never require a subscription. You have nothing to worry about at all. In regards to Linux, most are not even aware that it exists so there would even be a choice in their mind and they would not care either.

We'll wait and see.
 
I see nothing stopping Microsoft from pushing a Windows subscription system. They're already working Windows users up to it with Office365 subscriptions.

They gave Windows 10 away, that's money they have to get back somehow.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Gavv
like this
I'm gonna put Mint or Ubuntu on a flash drive and play with it for the next while. I'm getting sick of Windows' shit, but I also really don't miss command lines so I'm on the fence.
 
Why is this laughable?

In the real world very few Windows 10 users run SSD's and NTSC is very prone to fragmentation.

Actually, you are not as correct as you might have been a couple of years ago. Regardless, no one manually defrags anymore unless they do not know what they are doing, defrag has been an automatic function since Windows 7, at least. Also, there is no such thing as a entirely non fragment able file system, it simply does not exist.
 
Actually, you are not as correct as you might have been a couple of years ago. Regardless, no one manually defrags anymore unless they do not know what they are doing, defrag has been an automatic function since Windows 7, at least. Also, there is no such thing as a entirely non fragment able file system, it simply does not exist.

Whether the procedure is automated or not. NTSC is very prone to fragmentation and requires frequent defragmentation. So as you can see, my comment still stands and I'm not incorrect at all.
 
So lets get this straight.

I'm defending myself from what I consider to be quite simply that most biased Windows user I have ever seen, yet I'm not a helpful Linux user?

I state that I'm not interested in replying because Heatlesssun is a dog with a bone, no matter what i say, no matter how much I back my comments up with factual links, Heatlesssun will drag the thread further and further off course due to his blind bias for Windows - On the contrary I am doing all I can to keep this thread either:

A: On course, or
B: Let it die as it's pretty much lost the plot anyway.

If you believe I'm arrogant and unhelpful, you are wrong. However, as I state to Heatlesssun, you're entitled to your opinion.

The only thing that's really been debated here has little to do with desktop Linux and Windows per se. It's been about the ecosystems. On the desktop, Windows has BY FAR the best ecosystem. And while not a fact, I think it might as well be. When pro-desktop Linux folks like Chad are pointing out alternative software which has no Linux version but a Windows version? I think that just demonstrates the point briallantly.

Yes, Windows is entrenched on the desktop because of its enormous market share in the desktop space. That's just an advantage that while people may not like is just how it is. Now maybe someday that will change. The desktop may die off, enough people hate Windows and move to Linux or Macs or something else. And if that happens, it happens. But today, regardless of how good Linux is, Windows is the best in the ecosystem department and that's why many people use it. At least the people in a place like this.

You can call my opinion biased but what I'm saying is said by many, many, many Windows users. Windows users who have or use Linux or researched replacing Windows with Linux. I've spent many hours researching software alternatives that you and others mention, Chad brining up Affinity is how I ended buying a Windows copy of it. No Linux version for me to even buy.
 
I'm gonna put Mint or Ubuntu on a flash drive and play with it for the next while. I'm getting sick of Windows' shit, but I also really don't miss command lines so I'm on the fence.

The only time you'll need the command line is if you decide to install software using apt, and even then you can copy/paste or use an easier, alternate method to install software like the Ubuntu Software Centre or .deb installers.
 
The only thing that's really been debated here has little to do with desktop Linux and Windows per se. It's been about the ecosystems. On the desktop, Windows has BY FAR the best ecosystem. And while not a fact, I think it might as well be. When pro-desktop Linux folks like Chad are pointing out alternative software which has no Linux version but a Windows version? I think that just demonstrates the point briallantly.

Yes, Windows is entrenched on the desktop because of its enormous market share in the desktop space. That's just an advantage that while people may not like is just how it is. Now maybe someday that will change. The desktop may die off, enough people hate Windows and move to Linux or Macs or something else. And if that happens, it happens. But today, regardless of how good Linux is, Windows is the best in the ecosystem department and that's why many people use it. At least the people in a place like this.

You can call my opinion biased but what I'm saying is said by many, many, many Windows users. Windows users who have or use Linux or researched replacing Windows with Linux. I've spent many hours researching software alternatives that you and others mention, Chad brining up Affinity is how I ended buying a Windows copy of it. No Linux version for me to even buy.

For your own personal use case Windows has the best ecosystem. Considering my own usage case Windows does not have the best ecosystem. It's all based around personal choice and as stated many times in the past popularity does not = better.

You are stupidly biased.
 
Why is this laughable?

In the real world very few Windows 10 users run SSD's and NTSC is very prone to fragmentation.

Windows has pretty much handled defragging in the background since Windows 7 I believe? Sure, there's a lot of cheaper stuff out that running slow mechanical drive. I doubt any distro of Linux would make those kinds of systems run anywhere near as those based on solid state storage. This is much more about hardware than software.
 
Windows has pretty much handled defragging in the background since Windows 7 I believe? Sure, there's a lot of cheaper stuff out that running slow mechanical drive. I doubt any distro of Linux would make those kinds of systems run anywhere near as those based on solid state storage. This is much more about hardware than software.

This comment makes no sense at all.

If you're trying to imply that Ext4 offers no advantage and less fragmentation over NTSC you are wrong. Remember, the base file systems of Linux are designed around server usage and there's a number to choose from.
 
For your own personal use case Windows has the best ecosystem. Considering my own usage case Windows does not have the best ecosystem. It's all based around personal choice and as stated many times in the past popularity does not = better.

You are stupidly biased.

LOL! I just find that last part hilarious because Chad is more pro-desktop Linux than you was pointing alternative software to Photoshop that a macOS and Windows version but no Linux version. And most all of the alternatives you mention have Windows versions.
 
If you're trying to imply that Ext4 offers no advantage and less fragmentation over NTSC you are wrong. Remember, the base file systems of Linux are designed around server usage and there's a number to choose from.

Do you mean NTFS? Ok not arguing any of that. But the point about fragmentation is moot on solid state storage.
 
The only time you'll need the command line is if you decide to install software using apt, and even then you can copy/paste or use an easier, alternate method to install software like the Ubuntu Software Centre or .deb installers.

Good to know, last time I played with Linux was Mint... 12 I think, with Cinnamon. It was.. okay.

I love the open source nature of Linux, but cant help but think that if a few of the major distros started pooling resources, there could be something very threatening for MS created. It just needs to be a bit more noobie friendly.
 
Do you mean NTFS? Ok not arguing any of that. But the point about fragmentation is moot on solid state storage.

NTFS, NTSC...They're both just as bad as each other.

No one's arguing the case with solid state storage. I specifically mentioned that very few Windows users use SSD's in the real world?!
 
I specifically mentioned that very few Windows users use SSD's in the real world?!

Very few? These days it might be a bit more than that. All of the devices at the bank now are SSD based and have been for years. But sure, the lower end and cheaper laptops and desktops in the consumer space and there's tons of those. But even at the lower end now you have Windows tablets using eMMC storage, which while not fast is better than the slow, cheap spinners and don't need defragging.
 
Very few? These days it might be a bit more than that. All of the devices at the bank now are SSD based and have been for years. But sure, the lower end and cheaper laptops and desktops in the consumer space and there's tons of those.

Not in my experience.

They're all ~$500.00AU laptops with 4GB of ram and mechanical HDD's. In other words, pieces of shit.
 
Not in my experience.

They're all ~$500.00AU laptops with 4GB of ram and mechanical HDD's. In other words, pieces of shit.

You can get decent laptops with better specs than with SSDs for around $500 dollars or even less with AMD CPUs these days in the US. After market now you can get 240-50 GB SSDs for $60-70 dollars easy and there's always sales now. You can get away from spinners without breaking the bank unless you just need larger capacity at least in the US.
 
You can get decent laptops with better specs than with SSDs for around $500 dollars or even less with AMD CPUs these days in the US. After market now you can get 240-50 GB SSDs for $60-70 dollars easy and there's always sales now. You can get away from spinners without breaking the bank unless you just need larger capacity at least in the US.

A low capacity SSD, possibly. When the device is marketed as having 500GB of storage, the average user's going to choose that over a device with 128GB of storage - They have no idea what an SSD even is. And these people make up the bulk of the computing population.
 
Good to know, last time I played with Linux was Mint... 12 I think, with Cinnamon. It was.. okay.

I love the open source nature of Linux, but cant help but think that if a few of the major distros started pooling resources, there could be something very threatening for MS created. It just needs to be a bit more noobie friendly.

You've obviously had some experience with Linux, that's a good thing.

Go into the transition with the understanding that there is no prerequisite that states that Linux has to behave identically to Windows and provided you can source software applications that suit your needs you'll be fine.
 
A low capacity SSD, possibly. When the device is marketed as having 500GB of storage, the average user's going to choose that over a device with 128GB of storage - They have no idea what an SSD even is. And these people make up the bulk of the computing population.

I think most people these days when they're in the market for a PC tend to ask about things from people that do. People that actually need a PC for work purposes, they will spend the money. This seems to be the one of the dynamics in the PC market these days. Yes, the masses go for affordability and because they don't have certain wants and needs they can often forego PCs and do those activities on a phone. People who NEED PCs for work, yeah, extra money to make Excel docs load faster, they'll spend the money when they see the difference.

But PC hardware, there's SO many options and price points and tradeoffs, you do need help or study to get the idea on how to budget effectively.
 
I think most people these days when they're in the market for a PC tend to ask about things from people that do. People that actually need a PC for work purposes, they will spend the money. This seems to be the one of the dynamics in the PC market these days. Yes, the masses go for affordability and because they don't have certain wants and needs they can often forego PCs and do those activities on a phone. People who NEED PCs for work, yeah, extra money to make Excel docs load faster, they'll spend the money when they see the difference.

But PC hardware, there's SO many options and price points and tradeoffs, you do need help or study to get the idea on how to budget effectively.

In my experience they'll spend the money when the machine dies.
 
What I'd like to know is, how does someone work in a bank yet have the time to make ~42,500 posts on [H]OCP?
 
LOL! I'm 48 and been into computers since I was 10. It's how I make a living and it's my primary hobby. Any who, what does any of that have to do with Windows 10 alternatives?

You've made, from what I can see, the most posts on the [H] forums this side of Kyle himself since 2005, you deny using Twitter yet it's obvious you do and your Windows bias goes beyond anything I've ever witnessed - Yet you have time to work in a bank?

Just interesting, that's all.
 
LOL! What's funny about this is at the end of the day I've never argued with you about Linux per se. Now for some reason your getting into nonsense that's got nothing to do with thread topic.
 
LOL! What's funny about this is at the end of the day I've never argued with you about Linux per se. Now for some reason your getting into nonsense that's got nothing to do with thread topic.

I just find it interesting as I've never come across anyone so outwardly biased towards Windows, to the point of ignoring factual information and evidenced links.

And you have been arguing with me regarding Linux, your argument evolves based around anything that works in your favour and you have no interest in reasoning.
 
I just find it interesting as I've never come across anyone so outwardly biased towards Windows, to the point of ignoring factual information and evidenced links.

And you have been arguing with me regarding Linux, your argument evolves based around anything that works in your favour and you have no interest in reasoning.

And this just isn't true. The only thing I and others have argued against you on is the differences in the desktop Linux and Windows ecosystems.
 
LOL! What's funny about this is at the end of the day I've never argued with you about Linux per se. Now for some reason your getting into nonsense that's got nothing to do with thread topic.

Actually, I'd be wiling to bet quite a few people would like to know how you do it. You supposedly work at a mega bank. You supposedly have a kick ass gaming rig that you play on. You supposedly have multiple computers around the house as well as messing with tablets and yet you seem to be on here posting all day every day. I know damn good and well there's no way in hell I could possibly do that. In a way I'd say it's relevant due to the fact that I believe you've said you work in IT at a megabank rolling out Win10 to I believe 100,000 systems and use that as the basis for your expertise.
 
And this just isn't true. The only thing I and others have argued against you on is the differences in the desktop Linux and Windows ecosystems.

Of course there's differences! How is that even an argument?

The thread topic relates to preferences, not differences.
 
Actually, I'd be wiling to bet quite a few people would like to know how you do it. You supposedly work at a mega bank. You supposedly have a kick ass gaming rig that you play on. You supposedly have multiple computers around the house as well as messing with tablets and yet you seem to be on here posting all day every day. I know damn good and well there's no way in hell I could possibly do that. In a way I'd say it's relevant due to the fact that I believe you've said you work in IT at a megabank rolling out Win10 to I believe 100,000 systems and use that as the basis for your expertise.

I've got more, but I won't by any means post it all here. Somethings not right here.

I mean, how many posts is that per day?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top