Thermal Paste for 5800X3D?

1Wolf

Limp Gawd
I'm about to mount a 5800X3D. Cooling is a 360 AIO (Z73).

I've got two unopened syringes of thermal paste sitting here:
1) Kingpin KPX
2) Noctua NT-H2

What is your opinion? Which do you think I should use? Which have you had good experiences or bad experiences with?

ETA - This is a CPU swap and a remount of the current cooler so using the pre-applied paste isn't an option.

Last edited:

1) Kingpin KPX
2) Noctua NT-H2

What is your opinion? Which do you think I should use? Which have you had good experiences or bad experiences with?
Don't know #1. The Noctua should be fine too.

I have been using Prolimatech PK3 based on Kyle's own use of the stuff here on the [H]. It's good shit and still some of the best paste you can get. There was a recent review of the stuff somewhere and the stuff still kicks ass.

I also Picked up Arctic MX6 and the Noctua stuff. Currently using the MX6 to try it out with my current 13900K. Seems good.

Thanks for the replies so far. I should edit the above to add that using any pre-applied stuff isn't an option as this is a CPU swap and remount, rather than a brand new cooler with pre-applied paste and a new CPU.

I use N2-H1 as it’s one of the most affordable name brand pastes available. I have it on my 5700x on air and, have used it on a W3690 and a stock Dell cooler which is a pretty hot combination . But really if you’re not chasing benchmarks, you’re not going to get more than 2-3* improvement over most anything. Getting a good spread on the IHS and good mount pressure will play a bigger role

I use N2-H1 as it’s one of the most affordable name brand pastes available. I have it on my 5700x on air and, have used it on a W3690 and a stock Dell cooler which is a pretty hot combination . But really if you’re not chasing benchmarks, you’re not going to get more than 2-3* improvement over most anything. Getting a good spread on the IHS and good mount pressure will play a bigger role

I used MX4 when I rebuilt the last time just because I had it on hand. I know it's not the latest and greatest, but I got a good spread and good mounting pressure and it's been solid so far. Honestly, the bigger deal in my case was getting the bending frame corrector from thermalright. Keeping the IHS flat instead of slightly bowed yielded better results than the thermal paste difference.

I used As5 and MX4 forever. I switched to Noctua because it was near the same price. I lent out my tube to my brother so I’ve actually got some JLJ or something like that cheap on Amazon coming so I can re paste a cheap GPU. I expect it will probably be fine.

I would use the Kingpin one then. It suppose to be one of the better pastes.

I wouldn't go out and buy any of the other recommended pastes in this thread over what you got.

I’m using a graphite pad instead of thermal paste. I wonder what your guys temps are like.

I've never used the Kingpin paste
But I can attest to the Noctua paste being top tier for longevity and thermal performance at an amazing low price for the big tube. It's likely going to be the only paste I use moving forward unless something else can outperform it for longevity+performance which I don't think is likely to happen.
Also I'm no Noctua fanboy, never had a Noctua cooler. If anything I'm a EKWB fan lol but the Noctua paste is some damn good compound I love it and am going to order another batch.

Pick a paste known for no pump-out after a few months or even a year as that is what starts to cause temps to rise again. Also one that doesn't harden and cause you to rip your CPU out of the socket trying to get the cooler off.

1) Kingpin KPX
2) Noctua NT-H2

ETA - This is a CPU swap and a remount of the current cooler so using the pre-applied paste isn't an option.
I'd use the KPX, but I seriously doubt it will matter unless you're doing some sort of competitive overclocking.

I rock Thermal Grizzly for pretty much everything. It's good, it's readily available (Amazon, Microcenter, etc.), and it's relatively cheap for large containers of the stuff. It seems pricey if you buy the smallest size, but it gets exponentially cheaper as the containers get larger. You can re-apply it any time you feel like as a result.

Thermal Grizzly has pump-out and temps start to climb after months. Also has the potential to harden too much and make the cooler a PITA to remove with the possibility of ripping your CPU out of the socket in the process.

I've moved away from Grizzly for these reasons as it doesn't handle sustained temps after 3-4 months. Gelid GC Extreme is what I use now and haven't had that issue (yet and hope I don't lol) cuz repasting every 3-4 months sucks!

Of the 2 the OP has I would use the Noctua NT-H2 for longevity.

Next paste that I buy is MX-6 though.

Last edited:
Thermal Grizzly has pump-out and temps start to climb after months. Also has the potential to harden too much and make the cooler a PITA to remove with the possibility of ripping your CPU out of the socket in the process.

I've moved away from Grizzly for these reasons as it doesn't handle sustained temps after 3-4 months. Gelid GC Extreme is what I use now and haven't had that issue (yet and hope I don't lol) cuz repasting every 3-4 months sucks!

Hydronaut is recommended for water cooling because it is supposed to resist pump-out and be a longer lasting solution, than Kryonaut. I got some for free with an LGA 1700 kit from EK.

Gelid had a slump period where GC Extreme was notably worse than usual. I'm sure they fixed it. But, moved away from it.

This is definitely an issue with kryonaut, but hydronaut has been fine for long term use. Would go with something cheaper if not building a cooling setup for the absolute lowest temps. Pastes like TG Hydronaut and Noctua NT-H2 are only around 1 degree better than cheaper stuff like Noctua NT-H1 so for a lot of people the performance difference isn't worth the price difference. Kryonaut was 0.5-1 degrees better than NT-H2 and Hydronaut for 1-2 months before pump out effect started to make an impact and then it slowly became 1-2 degrees worse.

Heating the CPU and then turning off the system just before removing the cooler makes it much easier for the cooler and CPU to separate, especially if the paste has hardened.

My ambient temps remain between 22-25 C throughout the year. Also my PC is on 24/7. Never had issue with Thermal Grizzly. Might be a cold climate issue?

Fake news.

I’ve got 4 high end systems here rocking Kryonaut. Unless you’re a laptop user - you’re good. It’s the best. I run HWiNFO64 24x7 on every rig.

It is not months but it was recommended to replace kryonaut every 2 years. I stopped using it myself since I have a custom WC system and is a pita to take apart just to reapply thermal paste. Especially the GPU. I been using MX-5 and just got a tube for MX-6 and been happy with it.

I've read many reviews saying thermal grizzly doesn't have longevity compared to the NT-H1

It is not months but it was recommended to replace kryonaut every 2 years. I stopped using it myself since I have a custom WC system and is a pita to take apart just to reapply thermal paste. Especially the GPU. I been using MX-5 and just got a tube for MX-6 and been happy with it.
Exactly, if temps are good why deal with repasting.

I guess I swap out my hardware so quick I’ve never hit any issues. 2 years is a long time. With AM4 and now AM5 (already went 7700X to 7900X due to a deal here) I’m repasting within that timeframe with normal CPU swaps.

I guess I swap out my hardware so quick I’ve never hit any issues. 2 years is a long time. With AM4 and now AM5 (already went 7700X to 7900X due to a deal here) I’m repasting within that timeframe with normal CPU swaps.
I normally swap out hardware a lot but recently I don't care. 5950x and 3080ti will last me for a long time. I barely even use my computer anymore.

hah, I'm actually about to buy an X3D for my B350.

Are pastes really that particular? I have Arctic mX-4 or something in my cart.

I don't keep most hardware for long, but I typically stick with the same CPU for 3-4 years. I've been a fan of Thermal Grizzly because it has generally been "apply it and forget it" when it comes to longevity.
That said, I have had Thermal Grizzly harden and keep my CPU stuck to cooler when I tried to remove it. Pulled it right out of the socket, but nothing was damaged. I just twisted it off, scraped the paste off, and put it back sans issues. Even when applying the stuff for my hardware and for friends/family, sometimes that stuff comes out of the tube with a different consistency. That time it hardened, it felt almost rubbery when I applied it.

I normally swap out hardware a lot but recently I don't care. 5950x and 3080ti will last me for a long time. I barely even use my computer anymore.
It’s makes sense with custom water cooling. It’s why I gave my buddy my water cooled rig. AIO or bust for me too much maintenance.

hah, I'm actually about to buy an X3D for my B350.

Are pastes really that particular? I have Arctic mX-4 or something in my cart.

Nah. Just use what you like. The variance isn’t that great between the worst and the best. As long as it’s not toothpaste you’ll be OK. It get religious for some reason - and I’m guilty of that lol.

Maybe go check some recent reviews in addition to listening to us nimrods.

Last edited:
AS5 with no fans on my cooler and stock Torrent Compact fan config.. works great.

Fake news.

I’ve got 4 high end systems here rocking Kryonaut. Unless you’re a laptop user - you’re good. It’s the best. I run HWiNFO64 24x7 on every rig.
You just proved my point...Try not swapping out for 6 mths and let me know how your temps are then.

You just proved my point...Try not swapping out for 6 mths and let me know how your temps are then.
Yeah your point where you said MONTHS. Fake news man. We don’t need hyperbole.

All 4 rigs don’t get swapped out in months. Some run with the same gear for a year+.

I paste my CPU … never and have been using Thermal Grizzly for almost 6 years now.

I have also used Arctic MX-4 and AS5. Also used the goop EK sends plus a tube that came with some other part that I can’t remember. Best has been Kryonaut.

However, it is such a minor difference that it is almost undetectable in daily use.

I also never had any dry out or pump out or jizz out issues either. Probably because I change my CPU every 2 years anyways.

"Kryonaut uses a special structure, which halts the drying out process at temperatures of up to 80° Celsius."
One reason why Kryonaut dries out is hot temps. I wouldn't use it on modern GPUs and laptops.
Many other pastes are available.
Also some pastes like MX-4 might pump out at high temps. But MX-4 last a long time.

While that does sound impressive on the surface, are your load temps good?
Gaming load 65-70 C. Cinebench type load around 78-80 C. Not sure I can do better w/ 360 rad AIO that is also 5 years old now.

I paste my CPU … never and have been using Thermal Grizzly for almost 6 years now.

I have also used Arctic MX-4 and AS5. Also used the goop EK sends plus a tube that came with some other part that I can’t remember. Best has been Kryonaut.

However, it is such a minor difference that it is almost undetectable in daily use.

I also never had any dry out or pump out or jizz out issues either. Probably because I change my CPU every 2 years anyways.
The tubes I've gotten with EK stuff has been hydronaut in a nameless tube, but I know they have had other stuff as well earlier. Did you ever baseline your CPU so you have a repeatable comparison that can be done with different ambient temps and with low variance? On my high-pressure mount waterblocks there is almost no paste left after mount with all pastes I've tired, just a super thin layer between the cold plate and IHS, so might be why kryonaut lost it's effectiveness pretty fast. It went from being 2-3 degrees better than NT-H1 on fresh application to stabilizing at about NT-H1 level over a 6 month period. It was worse long term stability than both NT-H2 and Hydronaut which both were within 1 degree of freshly applied kryonaut and neither lost much performance over a 6 month period.

Not like kryonaut became unusable, but when the cooling system is built for very low temps at very low noise then it makes no sense to use paste only works the best for 1-2 months and then slowly dropping to the performance of a paste that is around 1/3rd of the price.

The tubes I've gotten with EK stuff has been hydronaut in a nameless tube, but I know they have had other stuff as well earlier. Did you ever baseline your CPU so you have a repeatable comparison that can be done with different ambient temps and with low variance? On my high-pressure mount waterblocks there is almost no paste left after mount with all pastes I've tired, just a super thin layer between the cold plate and IHS, so might be why kryonaut lost it's effectiveness pretty fast. It went from being 2-3 degrees better than NT-H1 on fresh application to stabilizing at about NT-H1 level over a 6 month period. It was worse long term stability than both NT-H2 and Hydronaut which both were within 1 degree of freshly applied kryonaut and neither lost much performance over a 6 month period.

Not like kryonaut became unusable, but when the cooling system is built for very low temps at very low noise then it makes no sense to use paste only works the best for 1-2 months and then slowly dropping to the performance of a paste that is around 1/3rd of the price.
Ya I tightened down the Velocity 2 block pretty dang hard with the additional thermalright bracket. I'm curious to see how much paste is left down there. My temps are great even though I had no point of comparison I know my 13900KS is running very cool considering how difficult it is to cool it into account. Using the NT-H1 btw.

Back