The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Is it better to play with mouse and keyboard or controller?

2 was fine with both so I would expect the same here.

Here is that gif you were talking about:

<snip>

I dug up a thread that has all the gifs and screenshot comparisons. Again...let's wait until Monday to really judge the game:

<snip>

Right. I still think CDPR has earned a lot more benefit of the doubt going into this vs the likes of Ubisoft.

Everything you posted looks pretty damned good to me.

So here comes the test: If the final game doesn't look as good as what we see there...

I do wish the camera could have been adjusted in 2. FOV.

I hope there is something along those lines for 3.

You know its been downgraded when original animated gifs looks better than the recent videos. There's a ton of sharpening going on in those though - maybe something SweetFX could add back in?

didn't CD Projekt RED do this with the previous versions and then come out with an enhanced edition version a few months later?

Let's hope, that if the game doesn't look anything like those old shots (probably won't to be honest, at this point), that we can MAKE it look like that, at least to some degree. That'd be cool with me.

lol, came across this gif on neogaf:

RMo7GJL.gif

Also one thing I hope there is a mod for is camera control. As pointed out by the below quote:

Here is that gif you were talking about:

UnrealisticComplexGrunion.gif

I dug up a thread that has all the gifs and screenshot comparisons. Again...let's wait until Monday to really judge the game:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043668

I have to single out this gif, it looks absolutely stunning, and frightening:

ilo8ZEuf1yn7w.gif

I like the camera angle on this shot. Close, but not TOO close.

Also, here is that 35m gameplay video from last year: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_35_minutes_of_the_witcher_3-15756_en.html

This camera angle was great imo, a lower closer position rather then the "high up" pulled back style the game has now.

I don't get why they can't simply give us control over this, let us have a simple zoom in/out function like almost any rpg/mmorpg has, so we can push the camera in further if we want.

The up-close behind the back style of the above gif's give a greater sense of "presence" in the world and make it seem more personal.

Seriously? People are talking about benefit of the doubt and trusting the dev when the dev EXPLICITLY said that what they showed at E3 wasn't achievable? when the dev explicitly said the assets are the same in all 3 versions? What more do you want to prove that what theyre putting out looks absolutely nothing like what they showed?

Seriously? People are talking about benefit of the doubt and trusting the dev when the dev EXPLICITLY said that what they showed at E3 wasn't achievable? when the dev explicitly said the assets are the same in all 3 versions? What more do you want to prove that what theyre putting out looks absolutely nothing like what they showed?
The downgrade is confirmed, but I doubt CDPR was trying to be malicious or deceitful.
Here's a good reply on what might have happened:

I love CDPR but that's a cop-out. It wasn't a downgrade because it "didn't exist"? Then what the hell were you showing us? Did we imagine those trailers from 2013 in some sort of collective hypnosis? No.

What I think happened is: CDPR were making a game. They made it to specifications they thought the "next generation" of consoles might have. The consoles were released and were not powerful enough to meet their previous builds. To save time and effort, they built the lowest common denominator, the consoles. This made the game as a whole, even on PC, look worse.

No doubt they built higher quality models and textures and downsampled them to fit them on to 8GB of shared RAM and a low-speed integrated APU, and the PC has the options for higher detail, but I think the game as a whole suffered from under-powered consoles. I mean, this generation of consoles can't even meet last generation's trash-talk standard of "true HD" (remember when Sony sledged MS with their "true HD is 1080p and 60fps" talk?) so it's not surprise that, once again, games are being made for lesser hardware and PC gamers are stuck with what might have been.

Still, at least this game wasn't held back by 512MB RAM limit like Skyrim was.

The downgrade is confirmed, but I doubt CDPR was trying to be malicious or deceitful.

Sure I'll buy that thats *why* it happened theres no real doubt about that. However, what would the console specs have even had to be for it to run what the demod? The downgrades arent minor, i have no clue what they could have expected console specs to be, they were never going to be significantly higher than what we got in terms of GPU's even a series or 2 higher spec wise wouldnt be able to run what the demod, no chance. Thats what gets me on this, I doubt what they ever demod was even in game footage when it was advertised as such.

Sure I'll buy that thats *why* it happened theres no real doubt about that. However, what would the console specs have even had to be for it to run what the demod? The downgrades arent minor, i have no clue what they could have expected console specs to be, they were never going to be significantly higher than what we got in terms of GPU's even a series or 2 higher spec wise wouldnt be able to run what the demod, no chance. Thats what gets me on this, I doubt what they ever demod was even in game footage when it was advertised as such.

Good thinking. They might have thought they'd be significantly better than they currently are, I mean hell, I thought the same. Brings up a good point, is what they demoed even remotely close to what would have been true gameplay at the time? Who the hell knows really, none of us here were involved in the development. Perhaps it was, until they basically had to scrap that, as there was no way consoles could run it as is - e.g. they ran it on full bore, best specs at the time to showcase it.

ps3 and xbox 360 had pretty good spec at launch and previous consoles before that also had good spec(in high end realm?)
maybe CDPR didn't expect this generation of consoles to feature middle class hardware

Last edited:
I've said it a million times - this generation of consoles is the worst yet. It has been the smallest jump in quality I've seen since the Atari days, and it's hurting the PC more than ever.
While I'm sure the actual game will be good, I'm not sure it actually looks better than the Witcher 2 did with everything maxed out.

I've said it a million times - this generation of consoles is the worst yet. It has been the smallest jump in quality I've seen since the Atari days, and it's hurting the PC more than ever.
While I'm sure the actual game will be good, I'm not sure it actually looks better than the Witcher 2 did with everything maxed out.

I was actually looking at some screenshots of Witcher 2, and honestly I like the look/feel/aesthetic of Witcher 2 way more than this "new" version of Witcher 3, and Witcher 2 just looks/feels like it has higher quality graphics.

I was actually looking at some screenshots of Witcher 2, and honestly I like the look/feel/aesthetic of Witcher 2 way more than this "new" version of Witcher 3, and Witcher 2 just looks/feels like it has higher quality graphics.

However Witcher 2 was not open world. Areas were much smaller which immidietly gives you more headroom for graphics quality. Think of Skyrim modded to Witcher 2 quality graphics, that stresses out even modern GPUs.

There's just something about how Geralt looks in The Witcher 3, he looks, I don't know, flat in the new screenshots, more like The Witcher 1. The Witcher 2 it feels like he has a lot more detail, but maybe I'm remembering things wrong.

Quote:
I love CDPR but that's a cop-out. It wasn't a downgrade because it "didn't exist"? Then what the hell were you showing us? Did we imagine those trailers from 2013 in some sort of collective hypnosis? No.

What I think happened is: CDPR were making a game. They made it to specifications they thought the "next generation" of consoles might have. The consoles were released and were not powerful enough to meet their previous builds. To save time and effort, they built the lowest common denominator, the consoles. This made the game as a whole, even on PC, look worse.

No doubt they built higher quality models and textures and downsampled them to fit them on to 8GB of shared RAM and a low-speed integrated APU, and the PC has the options for higher detail, but I think the game as a whole suffered from under-powered consoles. I mean, this generation of consoles can't even meet last generation's trash-talk standard of "true HD" (remember when Sony sledged MS with their "true HD is 1080p and 60fps" talk?) so it's not surprise that, once again, games are being made for lesser hardware and PC gamers are stuck with what might have been.

Still, at least this game wasn't held back by 512MB RAM limit like Skyrim was.

Sad and yet so true.

all the people going on about graphics downgrades please don't play the game...and sell me your key for $25 :D

That video was amazing. Damn if it didn't give me goose bumps with the music. Is the ghoul the same girl that was in one of the gameplay videos from a ways back, where the witcher comes into the barn to talk to the three mutated looking witches?

Placement of the bite mark is off a good 5 inches, boycott the game and its devs, they fumbled with dumbed down the lore because consoles can't handle the marks on the neck.

The image on the right is the Witcher 2.

Seriosly though wtf did they do to the colors?

EDITED: Nothing to see here folks.

Last edited:
The better question in those two shots in particular, is where the hell did the brick go from the bridge and the buildings?

That's definitely one of the weirdest design decisions I've seen in years, maybe ever.
It's hopefully a bug. Day one patch, maybe?

The better question in those two shots in particular, is where the hell did the brick go from the bridge and the buildings?

No more tesselation and dumbed down shader quality removed a lot of detail. But the lighting is disgusting, it's like they added a piss filter on everything. It's like some asshole from Microsoft said "It looks too.. dull.. can't you spice it up with some colors? Oh and can Geralt wear a skirt? Oh more colors on his armor! I want him to look pretty!"

There is pretty strong sharpen filter on the old shot which seriously pronounces the edges and contrast differences which makes the bricks seriously stand out. And then there is the reduced tesselation which I seriously hope they patch back in. This is something that should not be console dependant.

Seriosly though wtf did they do to the colors?

Probably thought that the grey and brown palette is already over used and I kinda agree. Unfortunately they went biiit overboard to the other extreme. :p

Last edited:
Back