The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Specs are out:

Minimum:
2500k or Phenom II X4 940
GTX 660 or Radeon HD 7870
6GB RAM

WTH, i can understand the ram, but the minimum CPU and GPU are way above what the consoles have.

I mean, seriously, that is 2x the xb1 graphics and close to 3x the cpu... something is really fishy there, or the xb1 will run it like mollasses, because no ammount of "to the metal optimizations" explains that.

EDIT TO ADD:
Wow and the AMD minimum is way below intel, that AMD has been historically equal to an i3 2100 for gaming not even close to an i5.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/80?vs=289

Last edited:
WTH, i can understand the ram, but the minimum CPU and GPU are way above what the consoles have.

I mean, seriously, that is 2x the xb1 graphics and close to 3x the cpu... something is really fishy there, or the xb1 will run it like mollasses, because no ammount of "to the metal optimizations" explains that.

EDIT TO ADD:
Wow and the AMD minimum is way below intel, that AMD has been historically equal to an i3 2100 for gaming not even close to an i5.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/80?vs=289

I wouldn't put too much stock in the requirements they are almost always pretty far off base. And I assume the Xbone will be 720-900p 30FPS with a mixture of medium to lower settings. That's how the consoles get away with such shitty hardware. I mean imagine what hardware you would need to run games at sub HD res and 30fps; dual core and a 750ti?

Wow...So I have a GTX 670 4 GB, 8 GB ram and a i5-2500K..I thought I would be on the lower end of spec but I didn't think I'd hit "minimum" on my CPU.

I also don't understand, the AMD CPU min is significantly less powerful than an 2500K (in my opinion).

Well, on a different forum discussing this what people said was that usually minimum = "smallest configuration we actually bothered to test" <.<

That would explain the discrepancy between intel/amd recommendation and the huge gap vs the consoles... still i will wait to see benchmarks or digital foundry's face off of this game...

LOL:

i-Gj9DGH2-1050x10000.jpg

Well, on a different forum discussing this what people said was that usually minimum = "smallest configuration we actually bothered to test" <.<

The minimum and recommended specs have meant jack and shit for long time now. It was the same with Shadow Of Mordor. 6gb GPU for Ultra textures my ass...

New 14 min video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgJUL3nN4iI&feature=em-uploademail

I suggest downloading the source HD link they gave rather then youtube's streaming, you can find it here:
http://+++++++/15LNjQT

Also a lot of people have had some hands on time this past week with the game, some previews from that:

Gamespot:
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-and-the-call-of-the-sirens/1100-6424859/

IGN:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

Kotaku: (This game seemed to be the most negative, mainly complained that it was too hard and the horse "appeared out of thin air" a la Dragon's age inquisition).
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

I'm sure there are others out there too but these are the ones I have read so far.

That footage was....... underwhelming.
I like how they stitch in the footage that IS impressive at the END of the gameplay video. So what happened to that? Is that what the maxed out game looks like or not? Whats with the quality all over the place with what they keep showing?

That footage was....... underwhelming.
I like how they stitch in the footage that IS impressive at the END of the gameplay video. So what happened to that? Is that what the maxed out game looks like or not? Whats with the quality all over the place with what they keep showing?

I thought the beginning was quite impressive looking (when he runs out onto the mountain) and that was running at a really low res before I realized it. I'm downloading the HD video now because YT can't stream 1080p for some reason. Maybe it's more apparent in HD?

I thought the beginning was quite impressive looking (when he runs out onto the mountain) and that was running at a really low res before I realized it. I'm downloading the HD video now because YT can't stream 1080p for some reason. Maybe it's more apparent in HD?

It should be. Especially when the original gameplay trailer kicks in at the very end.

The video says PC footage. CDPR has a deal with MS and advertising Xbone. It's confusing everything. But that difference is undeniable. I don't know whats happening here.

I'm really trying to like this game but something is "off". The animation just looks sub par and not up to today's standards, combat looks very stiff and the UI looks awful. Ongoing to wait for more gameplay videos and hands on.

I have a solution for people who complain about how TW3 looks; every time you feel the need to complain, go play through The Order 1886 instead.

Kinda looks like Skyrim for sure, but without the clunky awful feel of the controls and movement.

Looks cool, but I can't say I really enjoy the console button prompts everywhere...also seems like console graphics.

maybe because it was either played on a console or with a controller both of which enable the button pop ups.

i bet if you play with mouse and keyboard the hits would show the actual mouse/key buttons for a pc.

then there is also the setting you can likely toggle to turn off button hints ;)

maybe because it was either played on a console or with a controller both of which enable the button pop ups.

i bet if you play with mouse and keyboard the hits would show the actual mouse/key buttons for a pc.

then there is also the setting you can likely toggle to turn off button hints ;)

Yeah, I imagine so...just wish they were showing PC footage.

still haven't played Witcher 1 and 2 EE even though they've been in my Steam Library for awhile...I wonder if Witcher 3 can be played as a standalone game...judging by the open world nature and overall vibe I'm thinking yes

Yeah, I imagine so...just wish they were showing PC footage.

We don't know that its not PC footage. If it is PC then they may be cautiously running with medium settings in order to not set expectations for the console version too high (think Dark Souls 2 and everyone losing their minds when the final product didn't match up to the E3 demo). Granted, CDPR isn't going to dumb down the graphics on PC for parity with consoles, but they may have their reasons for not showing it all maxed out running on Triple SLI 980's. I've seen previous Witcher 3 videos with far more eye candy than this, which is what makes me suspect that.

And don't knock controllers for third person fighters like this 'til you've tried. I was a KB/M zealot until Dark Souls for PC made me a believer. Then when I played Witcher 2, controller felt totally natural. Same with DA:Inquisition. The big thing with controller that you can't really do with KB/M in these types of games is precise directional rolling, which are integral to the combat.

Anyhoo, this video strikes me as a sort of mashup between Skyrim and its alternating wilderness/town/cave exploration and questing, and Dark Souls with regard to some of the 3P combat elements. I think that's perfect. The combat mechanics also look much improved and less clunky over Witcher 2.

Last edited:
Suspicions confirmed (the GDC video not looking as good as reveal footage): Just read on official forum that they aren't showing any PC footage using Ultra settings until after release.

I guess they want to manage expectations of the little dummies playing on toasters, which is smart, wouldn't want to get a bunch of angry phonecalls and emails from upset mothers. Not to mention it was probably a condition MS demanded as part of the marketing arrangement for the Witcher 3 edition Xbone. Or maybe CDPR looked at what happened with Dark Souls 2 and WatchDogs and a dozen other games that were over promised in their early footage and decide to sidestep that pitfall.

Last edited:
Apparently it is PC footage and is also using the NV Gameworks Hairworks, but is also on Medium-high settings, per SonyGAF/Twitter.

The visuals aren't impressive for mediumish settings but I guess that is roughly what the consoles will look like barring resolution.

Can't wait to see Ultra settings and for the record not showing the higher-end PC graphics game play because they don't want to upset the console market is rather lame I must say.

Here is an uncompressed version of the PAX East video.

Hopefully the game doesn't have the Bethesda trademark Green/Orange/White color filter...

Other than that, I'll be more interested in the plot than probably actual game play.

I just hope we don't see issues with the GTX 970 VRAM stuff...will be extremely pissed if so.

Considering how long ago develolment started on this game, a time where 2GB cards were the high-end, I'd be surprised if we had any issues with 970.

"Looks like Skyrim"...I don't see that. There's trees and foliage, mountain ranges and animals...does that mean it "looks" like Skyrim? The art design and color schemes look totally different to me than Skyrim. I think the game looks pretty great and I think it'll look spectacular when pushed to the max.

"Looks like Skyrim"...I don't see that. There's trees and foliage, mountain ranges and animals...does that mean it "looks" like Skyrim? The art design and color schemes look totally different to me than Skyrim. I think the game looks pretty great and I think it'll look spectacular when pushed to the max.
He's also riding a horse and hunting/fighting dragons in a very Skyrim-esque manner. The scenery shown in that new video even looks like The Rift.

You're not getting any Skyrim flashbacks from this shot?
http://i.imgur.com/SbjKz2w.png

Yeah it's a shame 1 game has branded the entire trope. But that's the world we live in.

After 200+ hours of doing that stuff in Skyrim, Witcher 3 is going to feel old out of the gate.

Last edited:
I feel like this game is vape ware. Didn't we see a trailer a year ago??? Who even cares.

I feel like this game is vape ware. Didn't we see a trailer a year ago??? Who even cares.

A lot of people. The game looks amazing and should be well worth the wait.

Since when is showing off a game a year or two before release vaporware? That's basically every major game release. Also vaporware implies it won't actually be released... which I can't imagine you think is the case. Vaporware titles simply fade off into nothing with no communication from developers. This just got delayed... like tons of other games before it.

He's also riding a horse and hunting/fighting dragons in a very Skyrim-esque manner. The scenery shown in that new video even looks like The Rift.

You're not getting any Skyrim flashbacks from this shot?
http://i.imgur.com/SbjKz2w.png

Yeah it's a shame 1 game has branded the entire trope. But that's the world we live in.

After 200+ hours of doing that stuff in Skyrim, Witcher 3 is going to feel old out of the gate.

Kinda yeah but the color is just really different. I see what you mean though. The Witcher games usually have a totally different feel than ES games so I'm hoping I don't see a lot of similarities.

Looks like there's going to be a lot of hand holding from the videos I've seen. Here's hoping they have options to remove all that. No quest markers or arrows, no minimap, etc. Just a compass and a map is what you should have in these kinds of games. And of course quests written in ways to make it actually feel like you're exploring, not just following an arrow.

I also hope the character progression (gear, talents, professions, etc) is solid and interesting as that will help with the skyrim complex as TaintedSquirrel mentioned this game will surely have.

I wonder if you only can slash away at flying/large enemies?

I wish more devs would look at games like Shadow of the Colossus and Dragon's Dogma, being able to "climb" up onto giant creatures is faaaaar more rewarding then just slashing away at their ankles.

Was gonna say something different, when I reread and saw that you said Major bugs... haha... I think that'll be true too.

Who cares if it ends up being Skyrim-like? Skyrim is a great game.

yeah i am not sure how anyone could complain about it being skyrim like, i mean i am sure they will learn from skyrims mistakes too so it should be better in a lot of ways, the only thing its really going to be bad at, atleast compared to skyrim is likely mod support.

Back