The Wii U is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, remove Wii and you have a generational decline in hardware sales every time of around 14-15 million. Every. Time.

Microsoft and Sony don't have that problem, Nintendo the company will be fine in the short term. However you can't seriously look at the numbers and think "everything is fine" because it's not. You have generational declines like those and you have still done nothing but piss on third parties and the West. With the Wii Us WW numbers probably being -15m and you see generational declines of that magnitude along with Myomoto either dying or retiring in the next ten years it's a given there is cause for concern.

Some of ya'll need to see the forest through the trees.

You're in fact... ...ridiculous... I see a lot of people just stating what they like and dislike about the Wii U. There seem to be some very balanced and honest opinions flowing through on these later pages. The only fanatical person is you.

Uh no, fanatical is Yue. I'm sure you have seen his posts.

I forgot to add your name to the list of people who should be calling stevedave out for his vitriol. My apologies, any room for comment?

I must have missed that, or forgot about it. I pretty much only pay attention to one-day's worth of posts in this thread at a time.

Anyway, you can quote facts (as accurate or inaccurate as they may be all day.) It really doesn't change my opinion of the Wii U or its ecosystem. My family and I enjoy it immensely, and it's only getting better. You can call it dead all day, but it will keep going, and still have the best library of this generation. I agree it makes a better supplement to either a PC or an XBOne or PS4 than it does a sole household gaming medium, but even as the sole medium, it holds up pretty damned well. A lot of people seem to agree with this.

The one thing I take issue with where you're concerned is all of your posts saying "I'll only buy it used at $150 with games included." That is what I think is ridiculous, and very backward thinking.

I must have missed that, or forgot about it. I pretty much only pay attention to one-day's worth of posts in this thread at a time.

Anyway, you can quote facts (as accurate or inaccurate as they may be all day.) It really doesn't change my opinion of the Wii U or its ecosystem. My family and I enjoy it immensely, and it's only getting better. You can call it dead all day, but it will keep going, and still have the best library of this generation. I agree it makes a better supplement to either a PC or an XBOne or PS4 than it does a sole household gaming medium, but even as the sole medium, it holds up pretty damned well. A lot of people seem to agree with this.

The one thing I take issue with where you're concerned is all of your posts saying "I'll only buy it used at $150 with games included." That is what I think is ridiculous, and very backward thinking.

Value is up to the consumer. I value support and knowing the future will be bright and filled with a large variety of games where I can play with friends from around the country and not just my immediate family.

I appreciate people's love for Nintendo, everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'm looking at this as a person who would indeed buy a Nintendo home system if they make the necessary changes.

I have more than enough disposable income to go purchase a Wii U with all the trimmings but I won't because of principles. It's not a matter of me bashing Nintendo, it's a matter of me seeing this and pointing it out to have folks come in here and seriously say everything is fine or it'll have the best games of the generation when the PS4 and Xbox One still have 4-5 years left of games where the Wii U is basically done after 2015.

Sony had an incredible library's last gen with a subpar system one of which was a majorities Game of the Generation "TLoU", they had the PS2 on lock and again with the PS1 had an incredibly vast and varied library.

Nintendo is very very niche and that niche has been shrinking every generation. It's a very valid talking point with the information at the present.

Look at the PS4, as a system with no games it's at 18.5 million units sold to consumers beating the Wii U and Xbox One combined (still waiting on all numbers).

Value matters to people, and they don't always need price drops to buy if the product actually has any value to begin with (Xbox One).

Last edited:
Like I said, remove Wii and you have a generational decline in hardware sales every time of around 14-15 million. Every. Time.

Microsoft and Sony don't have that problem, Nintendo the company will be fine in the short term. However you can't seriously look at the numbers and think "everything is fine" because it's not. You have generational declines like those and you have still done nothing but piss on third parties and the West. With the Wii Us WW numbers probably being -15m and you see generational declines of that magnitude along with Myomoto either dying or retiring in the next ten years it's a given there is cause for concern.

Some of ya'll need to see the forest through the trees.

Why don't we just remove ALL the Nintendo consoles. OMG THEY ARE SCREWED.

Even as sarcasm this is a stupid post. Doesn't even make sense.

If you want to remove the Wii's sales performance to make your point, then why not? They hit it out of the park with the Wii. I'm sorry that's an inconvenient impediment to your so-called fact bombing.

Stevedave can have his opinion and I have no objections to that. And that goes for you, too, but for your over-inflated ego regarding the matter. You just will not let it go. This thread had been dormant for months and you just HAD to bring it back up again.

If you want to remove the Wii's sales performance to make your point, then why not? They hit it out of the park with the Wii. I'm sorry that's an inconvenient impediment to your so-called fact bombing.

Stevedave can have his opinion and I have no objections to that. And that goes for you, too, but for your over-inflated ego regarding the matter. You just will not let it go. This thread had been dormant for months and you just HAD to bring it back up again.

Of course I did, a lot of new things happened. They just didn't change anything.

Lol @ the arguments here. All that matters is this: I didn't want the WiiU hardware, but I wanted to play good quality Nintendo IPs and relive a bit of my youth. There are things about the WiiU that looked and smelled too much like the gimmicky stuff from the Wii. That was a major turn off for a guy like me.

My kids BEGGED me for a WiiU. They have been sold on the console since the day they saw Mario 3D at the store. There are things about the console I don't like and I shared them. But the message I tried to deliver for anyone who reads this thread is this: There's enough solid titles out right now to justify the purchase of the console (in my opinion, and remember I didn't even want one). And I don't regret the purchase.

I would recommend anyone who likes Nintendo games and has the disposable income to purchase a WiiU - regardless of *things*

I DID want the hardware, and like most of the things you don't... ...and guess what... I agree with everything else in your post. :D

Two very different approaches, and two very happy customers.

@Jin The Wii U isn't done in 2015. That's silly. Because, stuff and things and such.

Wait so stock doesn't matter because Wii was a "flash in the pan" and it is an "outlier"?

I've said that about 20 times in this thread and if no one calls you out on that being bullshit (Eraden, Freaky, Vlad, etc.) I'm going to be at a loss for words because reasons.

What I said was the wii made the stock uncharacteristically rise and now that the wii is over the stock is back to normal. People like yourself are comparing today's stock with the highest point in the stocks history which is completely stupid because it was obviously way outside the standard deviation for the stock.

On top of that I was pointing out that you can just say pretty much say anything and support it with Stock market evidence which is pretty useless information. For example:

GameCube was released in November 2001 and Nintendo stock price was ~20 Two years later the stock was at ~10 a ten point drop 2 years after a console launch. The wiiU launched November 2012 with a stock price of ~13 and 2 years later its at ~12. A one point drop in 2 years.

So based on this the WiiU is already better then the GameCube and Nintendo is 2 points higher now. And if you applied your way of thinking to Nintendo in 2003 after dropping 10 points you'd of thought Nintendo would be dead and look what happened. Stock shot up nearly 800%.

TLDR: Your logic is bad and your asshole can't predict the future.

Last edited:
What I said was the wii made the stock uncharacteristically rise and now that the wii is over the stock is back to normal. People like yourself are comparing today's stock with the highest point in the stocks history which is completely stupid because it was obviously way outside the standard deviation for the stock.

On top of that I was pointing out that you can just say pretty much say anything and support it with Stock market evidence which is pretty useless information. For example:

GameCube was released in November 2001 and Nintendo stock price was ~20 Two years later the stock was at ~10 a ten point drop 2 years after a console launch. The wiiU launched November 2012 with a stock price of ~13 and 2 years later its at ~12. A one point drop in 2 years.

So based on this the WiiU is already better then the GameCube and Nintendo is 2 points higher now. And if you applied your way of thinking to Nintendo in 2003 after dropping 10 points you'd of thought Nintendo would be dead and look what happened. Stock shot up nearly 800%.

TLDR: Your logic is bad and your asshole can't predict the future.

Yet I have never based anything on Nintendos stock. I used your post to point out that the Wii U was an outlier and Nintendo is back to being Nintendo (losing market share every generation).

If you're going to try and reply in a derogatory manner I suggest you at least get familiar with my argument and my posts over the last 18 months.

I've been spot on with everything I've said. Feel free to quote me if you feel the need to research the thread. In fact I called out the generational decline and base months before articles started popping up saying the exact same thing.

Yeah, I'm sure he's going to research the thread and read back through all your expert analysis. Maybe you ought to read it all again and you'll realize how full of shit you are.

Yeah, I'm sure he's going to research the thread and read back through all your expert analysis. Maybe you ought to read it all again and you'll realize how full of shit you are.

Expert? Hardly, I just saw this pattern and brought it up years ago to have people challenge it with asinine arguments.

I did say that the PS4 would sell 2:1 over Xbox One and the Wii U would never get close to GameCube so maybe I should ask Patcher for a job. Anyone should be able yonder this if they don't hold feelings towards a certain company fighting their console wars.

It's really not hard to see. I laugh every time someone says the Wii U is still even in the race (or Xbox One for that matter). A few thousand people loved their Jaguar but it still sold terribly. Same goes for the Vita, it has a very niche following but it's done.

Pity more people lack your uncanny knack for reading sales history bar graphs and prognostication. There is no race but for fanboys. Even though you deny it, it's fairly obvious you've got it bad for Sony. And you like to keep this thread going because you enjoy trolling people who are passionate about Nintendo.

This thread should die. Nintendo is pumping exclusives out like no other right now and they are AAA titles. As long as that still happens the wii U ain't dead to me or any others who enjoy it

Last edited:
Expert? Hardly, I just saw this pattern and brought it up years ago to have people challenge it with asinine arguments.

I did say that the PS4 would sell 2:1 over Xbox One and the Wii U would never get close to GameCube so maybe I should ask Patcher for a job. Anyone should be able yonder this if they don't hold feelings towards a certain company fighting their console wars.

It's really not hard to see. I laugh every time someone says the Wii U is still even in the race (or Xbox One for that matter). A few thousand people loved their Jaguar but it still sold terribly. Same goes for the Vita, it has a very niche following but it's done.

This is where your big failing is. You fail to understand what success is. You put way too much weight on short term success and sales figures. Nintendo is focused on brand and nostalgia. Wii is probably Nintendo's biggest failure despite it being its highest selling console. So many people bought a wii because it was the thing to buy. It sat there collecting dust tarnishing Nintendo's image and not creating any nostalgia. The Wii-U is more successful then the wii because it is creating positive memories in the people who play it. Mario Kart 8, SmashBrothers, Mario, and soon to be the others are top of the line. This is an undisputed fact. Most everyone who bought a Wii-u will remember it fondly. Same can't be said for the wii.

The only way sales become an issue is if Nintendo is put into a financial hard ship, which isn't likely to happen, which forces them to do something stupid like drop their prices too quickly, rush product, and do things just for money.

The Wii-U isn't done. Owners of the Wii-U don't and aren't going to feel cheated. Nintendo isn't abandoning the Wii-U and when they do make their next console a few years from now it will likely have backward compatibility.

This is where your big failing is. You fail to understand what success is. You put way too much weight on short term success and sales figures. Nintendo is focused on brand and nostalgia. Wii is probably Nintendo's biggest failure despite it being its highest selling console. So many people bought a wii because it was the thing to buy. It sat there collecting dust tarnishing Nintendo's image and not creating any nostalgia. The Wii-U is more successful then the wii because it is creating positive memories in the people who play it. Mario Kart 8, SmashBrothers, Mario, and soon to be the others are top of the line. This is an undisputed fact. Most everyone who bought a Wii-u will remember it fondly. Same can't be said for the wii.

The only way sales become an issue is if Nintendo is put into a financial hard ship, which isn't likely to happen, which forces them to do something stupid like drop their prices too quickly, rush product, and do things just for money.

The Wii-U isn't done. Owners of the Wii-U don't and aren't going to feel cheated. Nintendo isn't abandoning the Wii-U and when they do make their next console a few years from now it will likely have backward compatibility.

+1000

I've played for well over 2 hours at a time. You might just need a replacement battery period. I'd say I average at least 3 maybe slightly over. Mine's not all that new either. I bought it the day the Zelda edition hit the stores, and it's still working great.

Why don't you actually time it. I think you'll be entirely surprised how horribly short the battery life is. Its one of the biggest complaints since day one about the gamepad. The fact that Nintendo hasn't released an official battery upgrade to western markets and its currently only available from import sites is really pathetic.

Once I bought the extended battery it finally lasts about an average play session without asking to be plugged in.

Owners of the Wii-U don't and aren't going to feel cheated.

At launch.. They did..

Now? Fuck no. You'd have to be a fool to buy a Wii U now and feel cheated. Nintendo made a hell of a comeback very quickly. Wii U is in firm "from my cold deads hands" territory now for me. Awesome console, low power usage, quiet, and fantastic games that are just plain fun and a pleasure to look at..

Why don't you actually time it. I think you'll be entirely surprised how horribly short the battery life is. Its one of the biggest complaints since day one about the gamepad. The fact that Nintendo hasn't released an official battery upgrade to western markets and its currently only available from import sites is really pathetic.

Once I bought the extended battery it finally lasts about an average play session without asking to be plugged in.

Because I don't need to. I know how long some of my sessions have been. I don't doubt you have short battery life. It's entirely possible and there are a wide variety of possible reasons. I haven't seen this on my own though.

At launch.. They did..

Now? Fuck no. You'd have to be a fool to buy a Wii U now and feel cheated. Nintendo made a hell of a comeback very quickly. Wii U is in firm "from my cold deads hands" territory now for me. Awesome console, low power usage, quiet, and fantastic games that are just plain fun and a pleasure to look at..

^^This

And I will also give credit to stevedave's last post......

The Wii-U has been one of the best consoles I have ever owned, but at launch I may not have felt that.

Now it has a GREAT library, awesome titles, and for 2015, the list of titles to be released that have peaked my interest is very very high. Not to mention the money I am throwing at Nintendo now thanks to Amiibo's. My son enjoys having them setup in his room on a shelf now, he doesn't play with them, but loves the statues. (I have a second set of a few specific ones that are regulars for SB).

Now, I don't pre-order much anymore at all, but I always find myself pre-ordering Wii-U or 3DS titles, and thats because I trust the name behind the developers and have yet to feel cheated.

Current Wii-U Library;
Injustice
Wonderful 101
Super Mario 3D World
Lego City Undercover
Mario Kart 8
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Super Smash Brothers
Super Mario Brothers U (Digital)
Bunch of Virtual Console games

Plan on picking up Bayonetta 2 at some point

Last edited:
i agree with everyone here. I bought the WiiU in christmas 2013. I also cancelled my first day preorder of the ps4, wich left many puzzled. I only get 1 console per cycle , because my time is limited.

Boy do i have fun with my WiiU. Never had that much fun with a console since the N64 .

My current library is

Zelda wind waker HD (got it with the console , great remaster)
Assassin Creed black flag
Super Mario 3d world
Wii fit U
New super mario wii U
Pikmin 3 (got it for free with mario kart 8)
Mario kart 8 with all DLC
Game and Wario (free with nintendo club offer)
Super smash Bros
Donkey kong tropical freeze ( one of the hardest platformer i played)
Captain toad treasure tracker
Bayonetta 2 ( i have yet to open it , played the demo and was very impressed)

I also bought from the eshop:

NES remix 1
Pushmo world
Shovel Knight
Super mario world (snes)
Duck tales remastered (not that fun to be honest )

I would also agree. I technically knew that I would want a Wii U when it launched, but there was really no reason for me to jump right on it. When they released the Wind Waker edition (WW happens to be one of my favorite games of all time (probably in the top 10-15)) I then had to have it. At that point there were other games worth having, and a few months later, all the big titles started to hit. It's been more or less the perfect console experience for me ever since. When I don't feel like playing a PC game, it is the absolute perfect change of pace.

And yet the thread isint called Nintendo is done, it's called the Wii U is done and for the overwhelming majority it is. It's extremely niche and their base is shrinking.

That's my argument and for Nintendo it should be a large problem looking at their long term success. They see it, why would they try to break into the QoL market if they didn't. Gaming is all they have and with a shrinking market they don't have other divisions to fall back on like MS and Sony.

If their next system has backwards capability they won't sell past 10 million unless they tack on the Wii U hardware internally which would drive up costs.

If they make the right choices to turn things around it'll be an x86 APU from AMD which rivals at least the Xbox One on performance. This has everything to do with supporting third parties and nothing to do with just power or graphics.

They won't of course, word is they are going with a donut shaped screen for something only a Nintendo fan would go for.

And yet the thread isint called Nintendo is done, it's called the Wii U is done and for the overwhelming majority it is. It's extremely niche and their base is shrinking.

You yourself are bouncing back and forth from Nintendo to Wii U. If we're talking about the Wii U, then their user base is absolutely NOT shrinking. People are still buying it. They're still making games for it. I believe that it will also start to pick up a bit (even if at diminishing amounts) every time the game that any particular group of people are waiting for gets released. It really doesn't matter if the user base is different from any other console they've made. ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE LIMITING THIS THREAD's DISCUSSION TO THE WII U AS YOU JUST STATED. You can't bounce back and forth just when it's convenient. Well, yes, you can if you want, but when you limit it in one post, and open it back up for comparison in another, you lose credibility.

The Wii U's user base is growing. Maybe slowly, but since they're not hurting, neither is it currently. It will last through the cycle. Even if they cut it off right now, I'd still be using it. This isn't the case though, so it's irrelevant. Until they slash prices, and try to liquidate them out, and stop making games for it, it ISN'T DEAD period.

This is a stupid argument, and your position is highly questionable. You are a poor scientist Dr. Next-Jin.

That's my argument and for Nintendo it should be a large problem looking at their long term success. They see it, why would they try to break into the QoL market if they didn't. Gaming is all they have and with a shrinking market they don't have other divisions to fall back on like MS and Sony.

If their next system has backwards capability they won't sell past 10 million unless they tack on the Wii U hardware internally which would drive up costs.

If they make the right choices to turn things around it'll be an x86 APU from AMD which rivals at least the Xbox One on performance. This has everything to do with supporting third parties and nothing to do with just power or graphics.

They won't of course, word is they are going with a donut shaped screen for something only a Nintendo fan would go for.

Source for your doughnut shaped screen?

Also, Nintendo does not need a fall back, they focus on one product and hardware that can run that product only. They know their own strengths and weaknesses, but have made it easier now for third parties to join in or indie devs as well. Your information is archaic and asinine, your missing details and constantly loop crap graphs from statistical companies that are absolutely useless.

As for backwards compatibility, they are the only console manufacturer who has continued to support earlier hardware on a constant basis. Something that I wish Microsoft AND Sony did.

Why are you guys even still responding? This thread died a long time ago and needs to stay dead

Because some of us are just talking about what we like and dislike about the Wii U, and comparing it to others, etc. Really the conversation should move into another thread, but since it all gravitates to this one... ...well, here we are. Also, sometimes I'm happy to argue a point. :D This is more or less a dead topic, but there are other topics in this thread that aren't.

Americans are very easily manipulated, look at our politics and religion, and are quick to follow a bandwagon. This bandwagon mentality was a huge part of the Wii's sales success and its also a big part of the Wii-U's lack there of. Here Good games don't always mean good sales; however, in Japan good games = good sales usually....as long as your game is on a Japaneses console that is.

That being said this 'Wii-u is dead' sentiment doesn't exist in Japan. Wii-U and Nintendo are doing just fine. America should come around as well it will just take a while to vanquish that negative image they have.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/01/japanese-sales-wii-u-outsells-playstation-4/

Hashtag Winning?

Because I don't need to. I know how long some of my sessions have been. I don't doubt you have short battery life. It's entirely possible and there are a wide variety of possible reasons. I haven't seen this on my own though.

Well its a very common complaint among Wii U owners. Like everyone comments on how horrible the battery life is. I think in your case you must game for less than 2 hour sessions so you might not notice it. But the rest of us do.

You're right. I'm a 37 year old systems administrator who can't keep track of time... :rolleyes:

I'm even agreeing with you that obviously people are having this issue. I assure you that I'm not. Others have stated the same thing as i have. 3-3.5h. Don't really know what to tell you. Just chimed in with my own experience.

Batteries are not a precision science. You can go out and buy a set of the same thing and get varying results. I've got three identical Latitude 6330 laptops from the same service tag series. They don't all stay charged for the same length of time. Maybe some were older. Maybe something's wrong or the batch was bad. Maybe they changed cells partway through. Who knows?

In the case of the Wii U maybe they changed vendors or bayches. I've got a Windwaker Edition. Maybe the batteries are specced the same but different somehow. Maybe i got lucky and you didn't.

Anyway, sorry to hear yours doesn't last too long. Maybe it's the features used in the particular games we play.

Last edited by a moderator:

As has been mentioned, you conveniently flip your argument between Nintendo and/or the Wii U as it suits you. With all due respect, please get your shit straight.

Does cloning what Sony and Microsoft do also include losing money? Great way to "turn things around".

Word also is that the interest in donut-shaped screens is for some new markets they're entering. Something only a Nintendo fan would go for? Good stuff, Sony fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back